Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Fantasy General!

Monocause

Arcane
First of all, sorry about the break - first I was very busy with RL matters and then had that "I quit smoking" thingy which made me too twitchy to play strategy games. Now that all issues have been dealt with, here's the update:

barena051.png

We've started taking on the second continent. Let's get on with it.

barena052.png

The strategic map of our first assault on the Aelcar the Shadow Wizard's holdings. We've got three objectives to take. Lotsa ruins on the map, let's hope for the best of goodies.

barena053.png

The troops deployed. I've made a couple of big mistakes here and have redeployed them, but forgot to take a screenshot. For instance, I've left the inexperienced warbands prone to an attack. A cavalry unit attacked it, and since the warbands had nowhere to retreat - being surrounded by allies - they surrendered. Reload, redeploy.

barena054.png

The tutorial has ended. From now on it's impossible to avoid losses. Our job will be to keep them as limited as possible.

barena055.png

Fortunately, Kingcomrade has a way with being blunt with others. Heroes are very important. They can own the battlefield if used correctly, but losing one is a terrible, terrible mistake.

barena057.png

During his turn, Aelcar fireballed our warband unit, breaking the morale and then slaughtered it with his skeletons. Let's buy another warband and hope it'll manage to get some experience.

barena058.png

My air forces are limited and now it shows; good thing I haven't bought any magic sky hunters which, while being powerful, are vulnerable to mechanical units. The wyverns hold on admirably, severely wounding two screamers (mecha sky hunters) - however if I'll do nothing they'll get killed. I drop a whirlwind spell on one of the screamers, killing it and make the Wyverns rest. That gets them only 1 HP back (if you rest next to enemy units, that's the best you'll get). Fortunately, the screamer unit left has only 3 HP and it is doubtful that they could win. I also got the Wyverns an amulet of magic resistance so that Aelcar's whirlwind would be completely useless.
My bombardiers don't have such an amulet, however, and they've been out of order for the most part of the mission, getting hurt by whirlwinds all the time.

barena059.png

The figure with 3 HP you can see here is a Bronzeman, mecha heavy infantry. They are slow but are excellent defensive units, having >20 armor. A fireball in conjunction with a heavy cav raid quickly makes the enemy rout.

barena060.png

Zerotol - our staff slinger - valiantly vanquishes voracious vermin, that is, finishes a 1 HP skeleton off.

barena061.png

Aelcar is still bombarding our hawk rider with whirlwinds - note that there are some casualties, not only injuries. That means that when fighting with Aelcar we've got to finish the missions as quick as possible so that he can't disown our troops of their precious experience with casualties.

barena063.png

In one of the ruins we've found a band of volunteers, which will serve us as cannon fodder with joy.

barena064.png

Not all ruins host benevolent entities or gold. These, for instance, had a bunch of skeleton skirmishers inside which decided that our overwhelmingly powerful forces are an excellent target.

barena065.png

A tactical view of the progress we've made.

barena066.png

Our wyverns took scouting duty after recuperating. It seems we've destroyed the majority of Aelcar's forces on this map already. The ogres will be no match for the might of Kingcomrade (and a small fireball plus Andhaira skirmisher support). The rest of the map is a simple mop up.

barena069.png

From the depths of a local temple Saint Proverbius hath emerged to aid us in our noble struggle for freedom and access to Shadowlord's shadow harem full of kinky goth chicks in sexy black lingerie.

barena075.png

Our victory here has convinced a gentleman of great expectations to join us - Sergeant Claw.

barena073.png

We upgrade our warbands to swordsmen - making them much more powerful. Unfortunately, we can't expand on our army right now. Maybe after the next mission.

barena074.png

Choices and Consequences. Where should we assault next?

-The forest of the weeping wind, to the north
-The broken fang pass, in the middle
-The Caerovian peninsula, to the south

Pliskin

Arbiter
The Caerovian Peninsula, because:

1) Extending the front to the southern coast seems a reasonable strategic decision, effectively cutting the island in half.

2) There's a Special Encounter (if that's what they're called?), after which you can recruit Mech units into yr army.

Tho, that may not be a particularly useful move, since Mech units can't be repaired --- not by resting, or even between battles! --- until you rescue Earl the Mechanic (or, whovever), somewhere on the next continent. That's a long time to try and nurse along a broken-down Mech unit --- as I found out the hard way.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I have no idea what each of the scenarios holds, so I'll vote for the Peninsula, because forests are a bitch to maneuver through, and passes always scream "AMBUSH & RAEP".

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
I played Fantasy General a long time ago and decided to fire it up again using DosBox, seeing this thread. What strikes me now is how the enemy typically throws everything it has against you in the first few turns. After a few tense turns, the enemy resistance is usually broken and then you need to speed across the map mopping up some survivors and try to get to far away objectives before they actually get populated with enemy defenders (Light Cavalry is excellent for getting there first). Ofcourse some locations will be surrounded by crappy terrain and therefore still be a challenge, but that's about all you can expect at the later stages of a battle, it seems.

Monocause

Arcane
Claw said:
Does that mean you can do all of them and just determine the order?

I don't remember, but I think that the Caerovian Peninsula might've been non-obligatory.

A SMALL UPDATE:

barena_076.png

We stage an assault on the peninsula, as recommended by our military advisors.

barena_077.png

The map is quite small.

barena_078.png

Units deployed. Note that we've got an additional Elf Knight auxilliary after finishing the previous mission. Useful for scouting and for taking damage.

barena_079.png

There was a man of talent imprisoned in the local ruin; Pliskin was given the position of a Sergeant in our army. Claw was promoted, and from now on is to be referred to as "Lieutenant"

barena_080.png

Shucks, heavy mecha cav - a Rolling Man and a Steamphont. Steamphont is dangerous, but Kingcomrade promptly reduces it to 3 HP with his powerful Warhammer 40K.

barena_082.png

Our army deployed. This place is too tight for more elaborate maneuvers, losses are unavoidable. Note that our wyverns are in a tight spot.

barena_083.png

Not much more to show. Most of the Aelcar's forces have been destroyed during the first 2-3 turns. Then it was just a mop-up op. I made a mistake and refused Aelcar's surrender offer. The AI is quite clever in certain situations, for example it used his two bombardier units to evade my forces and wait me out until time's over. I've managed to destroy them only in my last turn.

barena_087.png

We can upgrade our Hawk Riders to Roc Knights (much more powerful) and our Wyverns to Green Dragons. We also got a Mercury Gun, a mecha artillery unit which will be useful to destroy enemy air forces. We also got the possibility to buy mecha units, but they're sorta meh in my opinion.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Monocause said:
This place is too tight for more elaborate maneuvers, losses are unavoidable. Note that our wyverns are in a tight spot.
I note. I also note that we never see how they get out of it, what with what I assume to be a mecha skyhunter right next to them. They look almost dead.

I made a mistake and refused Aelcar's surrender offer.
That's a mistake? I actually read a guide suggesting you refuse for moar experience. It's just like an RPG: Kill as much as you can.

The AI is quite clever in certain situations, for example it used his two bombardier units to evade my forces and wait me out until time's over. I've managed to destroy them only in my last turn.
Wait, "last turn"? What if you hadn't destroyed them in time?

We can upgrade our Hawk Riders to Roc Knights (much more powerful) and our Wyverns to Green Dragons. We also got a Mercury Gun, a mecha artillery unit which will be useful to destroy enemy air forces. We also got the possibility to buy mecha units, but they're sorta meh in my opinion.
What do you mean, "we can"? Did you upgrade your units now? Is there indeed any reason not to?
Also, don't get that mecha junk. Magic units is where it's at! Nightmares! Monks of Meo!
I really think you ought to focus your research so you can get high-grade magic units asap.

Also:
Claw said:
Cool, a promotion. I rule!

PS: Can't find my FG manual. That pisses me off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom