Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Mortal Online (prob. NSFW)

Data4

Arcane
Right, might as well whip one of these up. Don't expect the entertainment genius of an Andyman Messiah LP, but I'll try to make it somewhat not boring.

So without further ado... we fire up the game. OH SH... Updating... updating... updating...

(3 days and several connection errors later)

At last! This is what greets you upon program start.

molp1.jpg

Pretty self explanatory. Anyway, time to create a new character.

molp2.jpg

This is the racial select screen. Starting from left to right, these are basically Dwarves, Elves, Humans, and a mix of any. This is actually a cool feature by the sounds of it, though I didn't fiddle with it this time around. Basically, you can combine any two races to make a custom race ("He half breed, yo")/ Further, on the next screen, which I forgot to get, you can select your lineage by specifying a subset of your chosen race for your parents and both sets of grandparents (not sure what this does in the case of halfbreeds, though.)

molp3.jpg

I picked human, and this screen is what comes up when you go to select your parents' and grandparents' racial background. These are the 5 subsets of humans. I decided to be the refined fucker and picked Tindremene, which is the most advanced group. Think of the Romans at the height of the empire.

molp4.jpg

Ah yes, the infamous FREE SWINGING COCK that has become a mark of infamy with MO. By contrast, I could have picked a chick...

molp9.jpg

:smug:

...but I don't play female characters in my MMOs, because I don't have a need to fap to a toon, no do I suffer from gender identity issues. The good thing is you're actually given a loincloth when you start the game, so you're not faced with a sausage fest upon entering the world if the server happens to be busy at the time. Unless, of course, people are doing it for the lulz. Anyway, you can see above that it's your basic character customization screen. Based on the available choices, I'm thinking Star Vault should probably upgrade their demo Facegen license. Very few choices available. What you see (in the male pic) is how I've set my character up.

molp5.jpg

MO is a skill-based game and as such, doesn't have preselected classes. However, you do have base templates you can start from and then play however you want to advance your skillset. I've chosen the Guttersnipe, which is the thief type. I figure since my chickenshit self is going to be running from trouble more often than turning and fighting, I might as go for something a little more quick, nimble, and sneaky than the average fighter.

molp6.jpg

Which brings us to points allocation. You're given 15 to start with. Here's how I set myself up. Pretty self explanatory here, though I'm not sure what Psyche has to do with. Probably something magic related. Dunno.

molp7.jpg

Finally, the naming screen and starting city location. Meduli and Fabernum are the two primary human cities. I picked Fabernum.

molp8.jpg

I was actually plopped into the world in front of and facing away from this building. The first thing I saw was a Speedtree version OLDERTHANOBLIVION.0 forest that looked pretty shitty. I turned around, entered the building, took this screenshot and crashed to desktop.

So far, I'm not impressed. From the long download times to the connection errors contributing to said long download, and then this CTD with no warning or error message giving me the slightest clue about what happened, this game has all the hallmarks of an abysmal release and doom to failure. Short of a miracle, I don't see it going far.

However, I'm going to fuck around with it some more, grab some shots, and update this as I can.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Brotip: the humans are shit. Period. They have inferior stats to the elves, half breed and beastmen. There is no reason for them having inferior stats, and there are no other areas where they excel to make up for the lack of better stats. They are just shit. Plain and simple.

lightbane

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
Brotip: the humans are shit. Period. They have inferior stats to the elves, half breed and beastmen. There is no reason for them having inferior stats, and there are no other areas where they excel to make up for the lack of better stats. They are just shit. Plain and simple.

Are the developers xeno-lovers/anti-human treacherous scum?

Data4

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Damn, now I want to know what all the other races penis looks like.

Identical.

Brief update - I'm crashing due to a file not being found. The reason why it's not found is because, according to the error message that finally popped up, the game is referencing it from a developer's computer. This is seriously fuck up man. I am disappoint. It's one thing to experience a bug here and there that slipped past a beta tester due to variables in different systems and all that shit, but this is fucking sloppy.

Data4

Arcane
.Sigurd said:
Kingston said:
The last MMO I played was Ultima Online. How does this compare?
Download the powerpoint preview and you will have a full view of what the game will become.
http://www.mortalonline.com/files/prese ... tation.rar

The game still very crude, but the devs are very open and the game have a visible potential to become the next Ultima Online.
http://www.mortalonline.com/

Potential means dick when the execution is as asstastic as it's proven to be. If this were feudal Japan and the developers were samurai, some mass seppuku would be going on right now.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Play Allods Online instead and tell me what that's like.

Mortmal

Arcane
Allods online ? its a "free to play" wow clone , its a bit prettier with a russian style on the empire side, gameplay is the same except at the very end where you can buy a ship, its carbon copy. I am not playing it anymore cause of the absurd prices of the item shop, its less expensive to just pay a subscription to any P2P mmorpg.

MapMan

Arcane
Exactly what Mortmal said. My bro was playing allods. Why would someone play wow clone if you can play wow? Meh.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
DarkUnderlord said:
Play Allods Online instead and tell me what that's like.

click for a bigger version... the chatbox on the left and the list of quests on the right should tell you all there is to know

oh... and you can have a hitler-style beard on an ork, which basically flooded the game with big green hitlers

BearBomber

Scholar
Data4 said:
.Sigurd said:
Kingston said:
The last MMO I played was Ultima Online. How does this compare?
Download the powerpoint preview and you will have a full view of what the game will become.
http://www.mortalonline.com/files/prese ... tation.rar

The game still very crude, but the devs are very open and the game have a visible potential to become the next Ultima Online.
http://www.mortalonline.com/

Potential means dick when the execution is as asstastic as it's proven to be. If this were feudal Japan and the developers were samurai, some mass seppuku would be going on right now.

I don't think that MMOs were particulary popular in feudal japan I also believe that samurai were not in the game developing as it was unhonorable for the samurai to be a craftsman or a trader.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Data4 said:
Jaesun said:

Identical.

Brief update - I'm crashing due to a file not being found. The reason why it's not found is because, according to the error message that finally popped up, the game is referencing it from a developer's computer. This is seriously fuck up man. I am disappoint. It's one thing to experience a bug here and there that slipped past a beta tester due to variables in different systems and all that shit, but this is fucking sloppy.

Had the same problem. From the Launcher go to Options and turn up the Texture Filtering slider up a notch or two. That should fix it for the most part. Worked for me.
Also, when equipping items, don't drag and drop them into the paper doll. That causes the game to crash for me. Dunno if everyone has the same problem. Right click the items to equip and unequip them.

.Sigurd said:
Map made by some players (there's no in-game map or radar).

http://www.mortalwiki.org/w/images/7/71 ... mapnew.jpg (3500× 3000 pixels)

That's a really nice map. I was gonna draw my own by hand, but I guess I won't need to do that now. I tried using the 3D map, but it just felt really shitty.

Data4

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
Data4 said:
Jaesun said:

Identical.

Had the same problem. From the Launcher go to Options and turn up the Texture Filtering slider up a notch or two. That should fix it for the most part. Worked for me.
Also, when equipping items, don't drag and drop them into the paper doll. That causes the game to crash for me. Dunno if everyone has the same problem. Right click the items to equip and unequip them.

Alright, will try.

.Sigurd said:

That's a really nice map. I was gonna draw my own by hand, but I guess I won't need to do that now. I tried using the 3D map, but it just felt really shitty.

Fucking hell. This is why we can't have nice things. I actually looked forward to making my own maps, had this game been worth playing. Not having an in-game map was a design decision for that very reason. Despite how bad the launch has been, I don't doubt that the developers had good intentions with their original design. The variable that they didn't consider is that people in general give fuck-all about things like making your own maps, among many others, and just want a giant "I WIN" button. Why try to be a ninja cartographer when shit like this exists?

.Sigurd

Educated
Data4 said:
Hobo Elf said:
Data4 said:
Jaesun said:

Identical.

Alright, will try.

.Sigurd said:

Fucking hell. This is why we can't have nice things. I actually looked forward to making my own maps, had this game been worth playing. Not having an in-game map was a design decision for that very reason. Despite how bad the launch has been, I don't doubt that the developers had good intentions with their original design. The variable that they didn't consider is that people in general give fuck-all about things like making your own maps, among many others, and just want a giant "I WIN" button. Why try to be a ninja cartographer when shit like this exists?
You're not bound to use this map, a lot of players know about maps like this one but they prefer to use the stars, mountains, towers and others reference points to navigate through the continent of Myrland.
For exemple, I prefer to use that big and pointy mountain that some people call Finger of God since you can see that anywhere, other people prefer to use the Huergar towers scattered around the east side of Myrland, and others use the stars during night.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
for a game that is supposed to be total shit, this sounds quite appealing.

.Sigurd

Educated
SS from 2009, during the block A of the beta.

1086d1253526383-giant-penis-nowgame-2009-09-17-09-37-56-29.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom