Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Pool of Radiance with one character!

Null Null

Arbiter
yuenF74.png
2XP8c0V.png
foFIdEr.png
rbvtqQ0.png
lJyzzzc.png
nZmx18u.png
EW4gBR0.png
4tkDITY.png
wy3YBQt.png
xb7HsOI.png

You can't even get into the Buccaneer Base until they give you the mission, and they won't give you the mission until you're near the end--the BB is a sign you've reached the endgame. It's also the best armor you can get, and the second-best sword. (The absolute best is a lot harder to get.)

You have to buy a pass to see the captain, once you do the smartest thing is to attack him right away and keep throwing Hold Person spells until he and his guards succumb. At 110 hp and AC-6 you are NOT killing the guy in combat. (He in fact has more HP than Tyranthraxus.) Still, being a Person means he goes down eventually, and you can loot his Plate Mail +3, Shield +2 (but we got one of those back in the mansion), and Long Sword +4. Our AC is now -9 (replacing Banded Mail +1 with Plate Mail +3 and trading a little mobility for a lot of protection), which comes in useful as despite letting the animals out of the pen, the pirates found us with the boy. Ooops!

As you can see, huge waves of buccaneers are survivable at AC -9.

Bivant hands me a Two-Handed Sword +1, +3 vs Undead, and a bunch of restoration scrolls. We'll skip those for now as we're trying not to get hit, and we're low on space.

Null Null

Arbiter
S4wDBec.png
uTpIOCw.png
pJBrNHM.png
aCIDWWj.png

We'll ignore Cadorna's mission (there are ways to do it with one character but it's not that useful), and turn our attention to getting ourselves Gauntlets of Ogre Power. Sadly, this is one of the slower parts of Pool of Radiance. It's a long way from 36,000 XP to 70,000 XP to get two attacks every other round, and we don't even have the ability to get 4th level mage spells at 60,000 XP to break up the monotony. Well, we can do something about our lack of upper body strength (OK, lack of exceptional upper body strength), and go after the Gauntlets of Ogre Power the ogre in the Cadorna Textile House stole from Porphyrys's family. Cadorna will get miffed at us, but that's just the breaks.

Oh, and there's a well off to the north where thieves can get you in and open Cadorna's treasure box for you, taking half the dough (they leave you the Gauntlets though.) However, don't try to go in the well if you're not a thief. You will begin a long fall and hit an unyielding stone floor.

Let's try that again...

Null Null

Arbiter
vyqUQin.png
tFUzQRB.png
WATR4a4.png
TnsLtu5.png
ZXHpYnq.png
lgbaIN5.png

The ogre has an A-list speech for a B-list villain. Sadly, at this point he can't keep up with a fireball, and the remaining hobgoblin archers in the corner die to a sleep spell. We crack the box (the thieves can replace the seal but you need a thief, and we ain't got one), and prepare to hear Cadorna whine. But first...

Null Null

Arbiter
5Jnsikv.png
FlxECGi.png
oFBzcbW.png
vCYA6cg.png
Hs5oqGK.png
kGrgvg2.png
87A25xb.png

There's another key piece of swag we need to pick up. The Temple of Bane has a Dust of Disappearance, an item most famous for its use in Curse of the Azure Bonds as pretty much the only way for a non-obsessive player to beat the Mulmaster Beholder Corps. It's still of use here in Pool of Radiance, though. First, we go after the groups of orcs wearing a leather holy symbol, which lets us into the temple without having to fight the guard (not that it matters, but it's a nice piece of story.) then, we go to the southern wall of the temple and pick up the Dust. If we try to leave with it, Mace and his boys come after us, so we drop a fireball on the massive numbers of archers and a Hold Person on Mace. After that orcs really can't hit AC -9.

You can go back and get the other items, but they're really not that useful right now.

As an aside, I always found the material the holy symbols are made from a nice piece of implied lore. Tempus's holy symbol is made of iron, the material of weapons, as befits a battle god. Tyr's holy symbol is wooden, a simple symbol for the god of justice, who is supposed to favor nobody. Sune's holy symbol is made of silver, a pretty metal for the goddess of beauty. And Bane's holy symbol? Well, that's leather, which is made from a dead animal (and, well, do we know it's a non-human animal?). To make a holy symbol for the evil god Bane, you have to kill something. It's a nice touch.

Null Null

Arbiter
WQTz0rs.png
VpykT7w.png
FUFBVLP.png
jjQKFXy.png
3Pe7c3g.png
REycBKn.png
JFUoYFJ.png
miFq2sF.png
JyksOg3.png
FeCClk5.png
7quiXqQ.png
gr0GFqE.png
6OJ4VFP.png
HGqRRGI.png
WM8VEbF.png

We have most of the loot we're going to need--Dust of Disappearance, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Potion of Giant Strength. A few more potions of healing would be nice, but we can always go back for them. Let's take the gate for Phlan.

You'll need 250 gold to buy a wagon off this amiable fellow, and you only get one chance, so make sure you have the money. Once you've got it you can usually snow the Bugbears into letting you through. (If not, reload--you are not going to be able to tolerate boulders thrown at you with one character, or fight the contents of both towers at once.)

Once you're safely north, you can actually go straight up into the castle and fight Tyranthraxus. However, if you decide to go back you'll have to fight the Bugbears. So let's deal with them now. First, deal with the towers one by one. Their occupants will often be surprised, so you can drop fireballs on them that will get rid of the Aides and probably the magic-user. Once you do that, the Ettins will rush you, so drop another fireball on them. At this point they will start running for the exits and you can cut them down with your Fine Composite Long Bow.

After fighting the occupants of a tower, the alarm will be ringing, so rest for an hour until it goes away (you might as well rest the 6 or so hours to get your fireballs back). Trying to walk around with the alarm on runs the risk of running into hill giant patrols. Go over to the other tower and get rid of its occupants. One of the magic-users (the 6th level one) has a Ring of Protection +2.

After this, you can go after the Bugbears. there are an awful lot of them, but a Fireball will dispose of most of them. (If not, throw another.)

We're now at 70,000 XP! Let's go back and train.

Null Null

Arbiter
Glad you like it. I'm not sure I have anything else this bizarre in the pipeline--if I get another couple of days off I could do Treasures of the Savage Frontier with my Pools of Darkness party but I doubt that would be quite as interesting as it is kind of a cakewalk.

Null Null

Arbiter
97pOh8i.png
gL9carc.png
YO1XUg8.png
l1TmG1Q.png
VuBz7tl.png
CgvpnUS.png
TDueXY0.png
EJkWRb3.png
xoJHC24.png
hESAAJu.png

So, we're at 79,000 XP. The last thing Overman can do to improve himself at this point is get to level 8 as a fighter. That's 125,001 XP, which means getting about 135,000 XP from where we are now given the triple-class penalty (in practice closer to 110,000 XP due to the XP bonuses for high ability scores).

I could try the Nomad Camp, the Kobold Caves, the Outpost of Zhentil Keep, or Valhingen Graveyard. (Looting the rest of Yarash's Pyramid might have been fun but I am already loaded up with loot and I'm not actually sure I can make room for even 3 items at a time.) Areas with many waves are difficult for a solo character, and in the Outpost we'll be trapped until we exit, meaning we either stay for all seven waves or leave without getting all the loot. The Graveyard, despite the level-draining problem, allows us to leave whenever we want. So, we'll go with that.

As you'll notice, the sheer number of skeletons surrounding Our Anti-Hero allows them to do at least some damage. After dealing with the skeleton spectre and the zombie spectre, it's back to town to pick up our reward.

The graveyard is one of the few areas to 'regenerate' and have monsters come back if not completed. However, since the city council pays you a gold for every skeleton, a platinum for every zombie (including juju), and a gem for every wight (or giant skeleton), and a jewelry for every spectre (or the wraith), this can actually run to your advantage.

Oh, 'hair and fur'? That's a percentile roll of 56 on the random dungeon dressing tables in Appendix I of the 1st edition DMG. (They go up to Appendix P, 'Creating a Party', and include appendices on random generation of creatures from the lower planes, reputed magical properties of herbs, and the famous Appendix N which had the literary antecedents of the game.) Modern D&D players are familiar with random tables for magic items and monster encounters, but Gygax had random tables for trash you find lying around the dungeon, as well as (in the same appendix) air currents, odors, unexplained sounds, furniture including general, religious, torture chamber, and magic-user, descriptions of container contents, miscellaneous personal items, jewelry, food and drink, and condiments. Yup, there's a table you roll on to find if a jar is full of garlic, herbs, mustard, pepper, salt, or vinegar.

And, yup, there was a 'random harlot' table. I'll let y'all go Google that one as it's been reproduced ad nauseam, but this was part of the reason for the moral panic around D&D back in the 80s.

It's likely people actually liked this as part of the authenticity of the game--the monster portraits are drawn pretty obviously from the 1st edition Monster Manual pictures. The point was to play D&D on your computer, and, well, this stuff was part of D&D. Bowdlerized of brazen strumpets and sly panderers, of course.

Last edited:

Null Null

Arbiter
uz6TD1B.png
edgcL1X.png
jxOwPDQ.png
1Np60aD.png
pPgaRQH.png
BYf9Vxi.png
d1KTgbi.png
GjkE8aR.png
Ex8Bdnf.png

gIVd2nL.png

All right, back to the graveyard. First thing I decided was to simply reload if I got drained. Cheat-y, I know, but I don't feel like dropping all those XPs (since, unlike later games in the series, Pool will not give you back your lost XPs if you restore lost levels), and besides, I've beaten the game already countless times (and that's how I played it back then). Those of you wishing to replicate this may prefer to just go after Tyranthraxus at level 7, or grind to level 8 so you don't care about the extra XP which are going to go to waste anyway--Our Anti-Hero is not going to be much use in Curse, where his cleric and mage level limits will severely handicap him.

One way to get lots of XP, BTW, is to pick fights with the town guard. (Try to rest in the streets, or barge into the council chambers.) This is a lot of XP and items but rather difficult and will also prevent any of the shops, inns, or temples from doing business with you until you complete a mission. (So, if you're going to do it, complete a mission first, start your fights, and then go into the city hall and have your sins forgiven when the clerk gives you your reward. Outlaws are still tended to by the Temple of Ilmater in Podol Plaza, and can have their items identified, and the training hall will forgive all your sins for 200 platinum.) I opted not to do this as I was trying to run as much of a 'standard' game as possible to demonstrate a single-character game was winnable. But it is fun, and the only way I know of to get a Ring of Protection +3 before the end of the game.

I decide to put off fighting the 'spirits of those who fought the dragons' over in the east until I could get a ring of Fire Resistance. So I fought the two spectres in the north, marched up and took the items in the crypt they guarded from the spirit, and ignored the weapons and armor in favor of the ring.

A treacherous magic-user offers to join me. If you say yes, he then turns on you on the first opportunity (he actually joins your party and his name is in yellow instead of blue, like an enemy in combat). If you say no, he attacks you right away, which is kind of dumb as a magic-user needs protection from tanks in front. He still did drop a fireball on me, though.

I then decided to deal with the other easier fixed encounters. Zombies shuffled down the stairs, and a zombie with gray, leathery skin stared at me with hate-filled eyes. Juju zombies were another thing that didn't make it out of Pool, probably because they were the only monsters to use a tripartite system where slashing and blunt weapons did half damage but cleaving weapons did full. (That includes "axes, broad and bastard or two-handed swords, bardiches, halberds, or voulges and similar weapons", except if you look at Stephen S. Lee's FAQ they screwed up on lots of items.)

Oh, look, a giant skeleton (without a period!) Forget guarding an enclave, staring at you with hate-filled eyes, or shuffling down the stairs...nope, you just find this guy here. Makes sense, I suppose-- he looks a lot less martial than his descendants in Death Knights and Pools of Darkness. He's just partying.

Last edited:

Null Null

Arbiter
CoeCkDa.png
2531f4X.png
r2JTZHa.png
6Gsz6wm.png
AgrUhMr.png
Rb8W2xp.png
I58MpNh.png
zDCuzSG.png
0R5nTp0.png
wtvhT3J.png
JZ7BmOL.png
08G3bsA.png
wikVXwG.png
ITRLEsG.png
9CQbF5Q.png
tF6NbA2.png

With a ring of Fire Resistance, I can now drop fireballs on myself, which is useful when I have four wights lined up in front of me. The wraith is awfully impressive but kind of a pushover in combat (just a slightly stronger wight), and the game only gives me one mummy, likely due to my small party size. After dealing with the last spectre making wights, it's time to face the vampire.

Vampire: the Masquerade only came out in the nineties, and the wave of vampire romance novels after that, so our vampire is much more influenced by Bela Lugosi than anything else. The first time I faced him, he charmed me and the game ended (before I could screenshot it). The second time I decided to leave nothing to chance and prepared with Bless, Protection from Evil, Haste, and Prayer, and was able to knock him out before he could do anything (remember, I do 11-18 hitpoints a hit now, hit AC 1 on a roll of 6, and get up to 4 attacks the first round of combat if hasted, so I can knock out the vampire pretty quick. I'm then stuck with his wolves lapping at my heels, but they're not capable of doing much damage. I then go back and finish the 15-HP version of the vampire, and take the clerk's grateful reward.

And, I'm past 125,000 XP. Overman's up to 57 HP--not enough to survive a direct breath attack from Tyranthraxus, but then that's almost impossible. The times I did this before the Manual, I tended to get HPs in the high forties. Theoretically the Manual should only help with fighter HP, so maybe I'm just lucky this time, or maybe the game has other errors. At AC -9, he's awfully hard to hit.

If I were able to take my stuff into Curse, I'd be curious to see how he long he'd last, but I can't, so I won't.

Null Null

Arbiter
mNO4KKD.png
ikn5chG.png
gn8RfnW.png
5kZar8H.png
uGZKPjm.png
B8n5Iyj.png
37XuETT.png
paFthp5.png
Fa9IwrB.png
pnhcvdp.png
aiCItr2.png

Stojanow Gate has been cleared and Valjevo Castle lies before me. Another bizarre aspect of this game is that, if you know what you're doing, the last area is pretty easy--you don't even need to fight anyone before Tyranthraxus' guards. Go to the east, tell the hill giants the password, go up to the gate and tell the gate guard their password, make your way through the maze, pass through the illusionary wall, and go up the stairs.

We could recruit Genheeris, but we're flying solo.

Here's our boy as we prepare for the end. THAC0 of 6, does 11-18 points of damage on a hit (11-22 against larger-than-man-size), 57 HP, AC -9. Not bad. You'll notice I picked the items I chose to carry carefully, with the shield, cloak, and plate mail for armor, a long sword for a weapon, Gauntlets of Ogre Power to boost my strength, a Potion of Giant Strength just before the end, and a Wand of Paralyzation (sic) if I run out of paralysis spells. The Ring of Protection +2 should improve my saves. And, most important, the Dust of Disappearance.

Arguably I could ditch the Wand of Lightning, two-handed sword, and even the bow and arrows for more potions of extra healing (there are three in Mendor's Library I purposely avoided picking up). We'll see how it goes.

Spell choice is another major issue. Since you can be pretty beat up after dealing with Tyranthraxus' guards, I opted for filling myself up with Cure Light Wounds spells depending on how many hits the 8th Level Fighters get in. Some like to put a Protection from Good spell (yes, good; Tyranthraxus has possessed a lawful good bronze dragon and hence is lawful good as far as the computer's concerned). It's the only place you can use it, after all. For 1st level mage, I memorized Charm Person, and we'll see why in a moment. 2nd level cleric, you need Hold Person, all 5 slots; this is going to be the main way you keep these guys from killing you. 2nd level mage, Stinking Cloud; as you'll see, the geometry of the room is what's useful. 3rd level cleric I opted for Prayer and Animate Dead. 3rd level mage, Blink and Haste.

We cast Prayer and Blink, but not Haste. We'll see why.

Last edited:

Null Null

Arbiter
W2MQmWh.png
nVvj7y8.png
9d9nTNg.png

The audience hall of Tyranthraxus, Conqueror of Phlan. Really? He's lost the gate to his castle at this point.

The ceiling has been torn away so he can fly out and attack the town. This isn't relevant here, but is in the pen and paper mod this is based on.

And, just like in the pen-and-paper mod, he has two guards ready to fight you...

Null Null

Arbiter
moPnXZT.png
sAWXSTx.png
EePEdym.png
tXAEx7B.png
bhaXhQf.png

...oh wait, there are twelve, not two. The designers boosted the number and strength of the monsters in various areas, including the castle, to make up for the rank stupidity of 1980s-era AI.

Nonetheless, at 87 HP, AC 1, and wielding two-handed swords + 2 (using Gold Box Companion we find these guys have a 14 THAC0, down to 13 with an 18(51) STR), they hit on a 20 only but will do 6-15 points of damage to me if they connect, and they outnumber me 12 to 1. Keep in mind even a normal party is outnumbered 2 to 1 by these guys, and they're maximum fighter level. So my first action is--run away!

But not totally away. I'm going to hide in the corner. In real life, hiding in the corner while 12 heavily armed men come to kill you is a pretty dumb strategy--they can just stab at you with their swords, and with those numbers they could each grab a limb and even take you alive if they really wanted to. But this is a computer game from 1988, so it's going to help us. Note how the 8th level fighters (we'll call them '8-Fs' for short) are chasing me across the battlefield. I stupidly waste a Hold Person spell before I forget the range is 6 (Note: do not do this). But what has a range of 12? Charm Person. Ha, it works! Rather than swarming me, they will now go after the traitor that has sprouted in their midst!

Now the 8-Fs need to roll a 13 to save (11 if it's a paralysis save), so they have a slightly worse than half chance of escaping the effects of my spells. Still, Hold Person lasts 4 rounds + 1 per level of the cleric, so each one buys me 9 rounds of paralysis, and Charm Person apparently lasts all combat. So it's nice to Charm before you Hold. On the other hand, Charm affects one person and Hold three, so a Charm may well be wasted whereas a Hold will usually paralyze somebody.

Null Null

Arbiter
JiYLoYv.png
NdCB3UW.png
pizqsIa.png
mPcDdck.png
r5tMazs.png
DLIM1HR.png
B2xRbLv.png
qPJgfKH.png
xq3wiOT.png
JD9GD9A.png
89k9nZx.png

OK, so they've found me and surrounded me, and I'm throwing Hold spells to create a barrier of held 8-Fs between me and the still unparalyzed ones. You want to cast Hold starting in from you and moving out, and then use bow and arrow (given that it's an instant-kill you don't need magic arrows) to kill paralyzed 8-Fs behind your barrier. (Recall this is how you deal with the Ogres and Trolls in the Slums.) Our turncoat bravely died holding the line against his former comrades, so let's make another to help clean out these other enemies.

You have to carefully balance Charm, which both removes an enemy from combat and adds an ally but doesn't work half the time, with Hold, which usually does something but has a limited duration and only paralyzes. Generally it's nice to alternate them, as Charmed 8-Fs can help dispose of held enemies as well as drawing fire. But there's a lot of luck to this.

Let's hold some more 8-Fs. All right, gotta start killing some of them.

(To clarify: blue writing indicates an ally, yellow an enemy. So an 8-F in blue is either charmed or...something else.)

Last edited:

Null Null

Arbiter
Lf7nGeo.png
CTgsDDC.png
x02sGl6.png
v6sQg9X.png

Oh crap, someone got through! Cast Stinking Cloud! OK, a whole bunch of them got stunk, and with the guy removed from my immediate proximity I can kill the other 8-Fs with arrows.

Unfortunately, there are still a few left, and I don't think I can necessarily get even one of them in combat, not to mention I'll be in bad shape for Tyranthraxus. I'm out of Hold Person spells and have one Stinking Cloud left. (Boy, do I wish I hadn't wasted that first one! That was really dumb, I could have told you the range of Hold Person was 6. I'm slipping.)

Theoretically I could snipe at them with my Fine Composite Long Bow until the cloud dissipates (they won't go in a Stinking Cloud in this game), and then wait for them to come up with me and try to Stinking Cloud them again. I opted for a Hail Mary ploy first...

Null Null

Arbiter
1cmdk6P.png
vnrBVax.png
GpFLfni.png
3qo6Gbr.png
gIzMg6I.png
AS8zuRp.png
TdhIrea.png
O4ZIGtv.png

...though perhaps a darker power is at work here. While I was expecting perhaps one or two zombies to pop up, the two or three fighters who were ready to cut me to ribbons are now faced with, if I have the math right, four of their former comrades rising from the grave to attack them, fully healed and slavering for blood thanks to the power of my magic.

This isn't orthodox D&D. They shouldn't retain their class levels, and if they did I shouldn't be able to animate them, and even if I did they shouldn't be at full HP. Someone screwed up somewhere. Hey, I'm not complaining. While I wait for my zombies to kill Tyranthraxus' guards, I'll sit here and cast healing spells on myself.

Null Null

Arbiter
R4fNPQB.png
4Mlqol7.png
G3y3jOy.png
FtHdPiW.png
ZlkDIOV.png
Oeg712U.png
mbiV3vA.png

OK, there were five zombies, which makes a little more sense as I'm a 5th level cleric. As you can see, the numbers are now against the unfortunate remaining 8-Fs, who are stuck fighting off their dead buddies. "Only by removing the head or destroying the brain...Boss, you got a vorpal sword over there somewhere? Please?"

Now here's something even normal players of Pool of Radiance should know about for this fight. In this case, you do continue combat, to heal and cast beneficial spells that may elapse. Haste lasts 3 rounds plus level of the caster, which means after 9 rounds (and this combat has lasted a lot longer than that), it's gone, and Tyranthraxus certainly isn't going to let you rest in his audience room while you get ready to kill him. Also, as you've seen, we cast Blink before this fight with the fighters, allowing us to run into the corner (otherwise we would have taken serious damage from all the free hits). So we're kind of low on spells.

So first we use the Potion of Giant Strength (bringing our STR to 21 and our THAC0 to 5 with a longsword +4, allowing us to hit Tyranthraxus on a roll of 9), then the Dust of Disappearance, and finally we cast Haste.

Turned out not to need our potion. That's not always the case, and you should leave the potions in Mendor's Library alone in the earlier game.

BTW, there is a potion of speed elsewhere in the castle (northwestern outer castle). You can pick it up if you want an extra Haste.

Last edited:

Null Null

Arbiter
lq8OdnY.png
zS5ELOT.png
BFAJnOj.png
taX1lAo.png

The 8-Fs left us more Plate Mail +2, Rings of Protection +3, and Two-Handed Swords +2 than we know what to do with. Two of those are potentially useful, but we've got a Plate Mail +3 already so we'll let the armor go. With a normal party this is actually a nice looting session. (THAC0 will be 5 with the longsword equipped.)

OK, two-handed sword +2 versus longsword +4.

The two-handed sword will hit Tyranthraxus on an 11, the longsword on a 9. The two-handed sword will do 14-29 (3-18+2+9) points on a hit, the longsword 14-25 (1-12+4+9). So on average the two-handed sword does 21.5 points per hit to the longsword's 19.5. So in exchange for 2 extra points of damage you're going to give up the Shield + 2 (giving Tyranthraxus a 15% improved chance of hitting you, and remember, he gets three shots) and have a slightly worse chance to hit. I went with the longsword. Some of you may really want to hack at Tyranthraxus with a zweihander. It's only a game, do what you want.

Last edited:

Null Null

Arbiter
eMW2kWX.png
owKqe8A.png
hTmr8GW.png

The first time I ran into this I tried to join Tyranthraxus, but screwed up with one character and he wound up having all 5 of his former comrades attack him. He died pretty quick.

If you do have everyone join Tyranthraxus the game ends--it just says 'the monsters rejoice for the party has been destroyed'.

Null Null

Arbiter
NPuQZK2.png
8UuV8ce.png
5hquS0i.png

Alone against the dragon. Generally, you want to get on his other side so he can't bounce his lightning breath off the wall on you...

Though as it turns out, that's not a problem. The Dust of Disappearance allows you to attack and remain invisible. Invisibility is rather unimpressive in goldbox games--the icon doesn't disappear--but it means an enemy can't target you with a ranged attack. (You may remember being unable to hit Auraks in Champions and Dark Queen of Krynn.)

Oh, and guess what's a ranged attack? Apparently, dragon breath.

:lol::hahano:

Null Null

Arbiter
eaU4iqq.png
PQ3BdNU.png
cU0sdgW.png
7sekKHP.png
QmcUdts.png
RJcVyU4.png

So poor Tyranthraxus sits there stupidly, unable to breathe, while you whale on him with the Buccaneer Captain's longsword +4.

Incidentally, I suspect this may have been the reason later dragons were able to See Invisible.

Null Null

Arbiter
93GKGaq.png

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”
--Ozymandias, Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1818

Null Null

Arbiter
9lcBUB9.png
vizFRlN.png
la15dQw.png
wM2bRTm.png
fBIA9KT.png
bRSay06.png
8D0aYxl.png
lAnsl3N.png
kh9Ee0K.png

There's not much to say at this point. Tyranthraxus plans to possess me, but Bane sucks him back into the pool.

Interestingly, when making the pic it sees there's just one of me. A touch I really hadn't expected from a game this old.

Of course, we know he'll be back to bother us in Curse and the Rakshasas will try to prop up his corpse in Pools. We go back to Phlan and get money we don't need and XP we can't use.

The whole thing is oddly anticlimactic at this point. Sure, I could bring Overman into Curse, but he'd never be able to do more than get two more levels of mage (indeed he'd get them right after starting given the massive XP overage) and then would rapidly fall behind the rest of any human party, unable to Neutralize Poison or Hold Monster. Gygax's limits are cruel.

So we'll say that Overman, having heard of rumors of brigands on the road to Tilverton, decided to leave well enough alone and let someone else rescue the princess, opting instead to settle down in Phlan with his wealth. A seat on the council seems likely, and perhaps his sword arm and spells will be useful in 10 years when Phlan is ripped from the face of Faerun by Bane.

But of that tale, we cannot tell.

THE END

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom