Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO Defense - Update 44

kyrub

Augur
Storyfag said:
Sorry if you felted offended.
It's a misunderstanding. I didn't get the pun, that's all.

Storyfag said:
I've overwritten the UFO defense.exe with your patch and am using it. FRAPS names the screenshots "UFO Defense" as opposed to "UFO" like it did before I patched, so I think it's working properly. The base layout is a result of me fiddling with savegame files (copying advanced base files from another save to a fresh one) and not of using XComUtil. Will keep an eye out for the missing autoshots though.
Should be OK. The original aliens use autoshot only on closest distance, 1 or 2 tiles away. If you see anything beyond that, you're definitely patched. I will find another way to discern the patched game in the future, probably with a different sound on the game start.

To make the game harder, I generally recommend using Ranged based accuracy (with harsh settings, an example) from UFO extender. This is the only feature that makes the omnipresent spot-snipe tactic harder. Note that the patch assumes this feature is more or less in effect; otherwise the aliens would use autoshot 100% of time. But the AI never does something 100% of time, even if it is the most effective thing, to avoid boredom.

Pope Amole

Educated
Could you please edit the name of the topic after each update, adding a corresponding number there? It would make it much easier to follow your LP.

And virtual Pope got a baptizing by blood. Now he's not afraid of his most inevitable death.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Unkillable Cat said:
How long until I'm fit for active duty again?

You've been shot with a small laucner and stunned. You're A-OK now.

Jaedar said:
And I was doing so well, getting two kills on my first mission. Jaedar Jr reporting for duty :salute:

Welcome to KwaCOM, son. Unless we get a mission and fatalities before the Kwa Skyranger hangar is ready, you might as well end up staying there for good.

Pope Amole said:
Could you please edit the name of the topic after each update, adding a corresponding number there? It would make it much easier to follow your LP.

Will do. Its my very first LP, so expect multiple goof ups like that :D

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Hellraiser said:
Clone Hellraiser and send him to Kwacom. Hopefully there will be plenty of xenos to kill there.

You're sure you want to go to Kwa? Potato base's roster is full... but nepotism is not unknown to X-COM High Command. But who am I kidding. I'll be likely transferring personnel from Kwa to Potato sooner than I can say 'end of month terror attack'. You may consider yourself a proud Amerikwan Rookie now!

RECRUITMENT OPTIONS:

Soldiers will now assume callsigns as per your wishes. New soldiers will be assuming callsigns of their deceased fellows. We're not advanced enough to clone troopers yet.

The main base has openings for:

1 Fighter pilot
2 Tank/Cannon remote pilots

Yes, X-COM actually has a working command structure *at the start* of this LP. First come, first serve. Also, I plan on making agressive interceptions most of the time, resulting in pilot casualties. After all, the UFOs should not only run, but also manoeuvre to attack their pursuers!

The two auxiliary interception bases have each oepnings for:

1 Captain
2 Squaddies
7 Rookies
1 Tank/Rocket Launcher remote pilot

The Asian interception base has additional openings for:

2 Sargeants
1 Fighter pilot
2 Rookies

Be warned, however, that the Asian base won't see action soon, perhaps apart from figher pilot.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Not bad at all. I think I'll make it far,....quick, get the armor research completed!

spekkio

Arcane
kyrub said:
If you intend to deride my work all along your LP, it would be probably better to stop playing with it. I'd like to have the feedback, but not at any cost.
One of Drog's alts said:
Can I have yours or Sebs commented IDA files?

Not one but TWO butthurt DRAMA mod-Queens in one thread?

:avatard:

MMXI

Arcane
:salute:

Upon hearing news of his father's death, MMXI Jr. made a very important phone call to the NorthAmCOM command, demanding his appointment to the role of Captain.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Gondolin said:

Sign me up, chief. Unless I've already been assigned to another base.

You've been driving a rocket tank in the first mission, and earned a kill or two if I recall correctly. KickAss changed you in the second mission, and you'll change him in the upcoming:

UPDATE 4: The Third Mission.

xFwUB.jpg

9veEk.jpg

More Rookies from KwaCOM assume callsigns.

b33qO.jpg

And some are transferred to Potato Base, into the heat of the war.

ntG4V.jpg

At last we have room to expand our science team. The end of the month bill will be painful.

15jJO.jpg

8ZhIS.jpg

The bloody thing first eluded our Interceptor jets, then landed, and then fled before EuroCOM's Skyranger managed to complete it's long trek to Australia.

x8z3p.jpg

Finally! We'll be able to concentrate on capturing live aliens during combat missions. This should enable us to gain a better understanding of them and their technology.

ab2J4.jpg

pNxfr.jpg

Bee's Interceptor is ready, as always.

Hk0OS.jpg

It's another of these larger UFO's!

1qTnz.jpg

It is quickly downed without damaging the Interceptor. Damn, I knew I should have armed them all with Stingrays!

xjocG.jpg

EuroCOM's away team is on the move again.

MfR0A.jpg

This time it is lead by the fearsome Captain-Commissar eklektyk. Also, notice the stun rods on the transport's floor. They will see action during this mission.

pwgPu.jpg

Gondolin's tank spots an alien.

mNjsy.jpg

A single twitch of the joystick in the safety of PotatoCOM sends a rocket its way.

du4B3.jpg

The missile ends the miserable creature's life.

1rHa5.jpg

Sergiu64 notices another gray alien in front of the Skyranger.

7iUgE.jpg

A grenade lobbed by Lightbane takes care of it.

mCan0.jpg

ironyuri unleashes a storm of reaction fire during the alien turn.

YbotG.jpg

He misses his mark.

dSPiN.jpg

But pounded_anus shoots it during X-COM's turn.

2P0zr.jpg

He then notices another creature lurking in the shadows.

Fq3Qv.jpg

dextermorgan attempts to kill it.

aszSm.jpg

Without much success.

TEvQe.jpg

It's time to roll in the artillery.

ySxnR.jpg

Incoming!

kOYjH.jpg

Done and done.

UhCO2.jpg

Another alien is spotted Too bad the explosion didn't kill it.

Qc1Aa.jpg

Yet *another* alien kills our spotter. RIP pounded_anus :salute:

XxbKp.jpg

Derper tries to hit the alien...

4BDW6.jpg

wYLKi.jpg

But ironyuri has to do the deed.

Korenzel finds the alien that shot pounded_anus!

TTBhG.jpg

But he misses.

q33lw.jpg

k5OzZ.jpg

Xpatj.jpg

Dextermorgan is unsuccessful too...

IwYRo.jpg

And the alien retreats during its turn.

YqIXJ.jpg

Sergiu64 finds it again.

pZ25f.jpg

And, while shooting at it, sees another one!

aYKhx.jpg

Derper takes his aim in an attempt to save Sergiu64...

3q5iz.jpg

He manages to kill one alien, but dextermorgan has to deal with the other.

MQLag.jpg

GVnYi.jpg

It works.

HgPDq.jpg

This alien shot at Gondolin's tank during the alien turn.

h40Pl.jpg

Gondolin repays it in kind and then locates yet another gray creature.

aXAXj.jpg

Sergiu64 locates the UFO.

GmAlV.jpg

Armed with the mighty stun rod, Korenzel attempts to reach melee range with the alien.

iQeP8.jpg

The alien fled outside, and dextermorgan attempts to reach it.

9shgD.jpg

He is, however, shot. RIP dextermorgan :salute:

Gondolin takes just revenge, also blowing up dextermorgan's corpse in the process.

ppdNw.jpg

CkzQR.jpg

An alien exits the UFO...

hCuMn.jpg

...and shoots at our tank!

XeTLO.jpg

Korenzel attempts to snipe it, but fails.

lk8cI.jpg

As the tank takes position to better shoot the alien, Gondolin notices yet another creature!

arXkS.jpg

He manages to blow one up, but the other survives and takes its revenge.

FOc4q.jpg

The tank, formidable it may be, did not survive multiple bursts of plasma. But Derper dispatched the offending alien.

JJ5lj.jpg

Our first catch of the day!

1qRXB.jpg

The UFO was breached and another alien found within. Ironyuri prepares to fire.

VSRxE.jpg

And kills the vile creature.

jlOMM.jpg

Thus ending the mission. Damn shame about the tank, it cost half a million. And keep in mind I won't be selling unresearched alien artifacts, so money will be tight.

Ck2NN.jpg

Its not the tank, we have a spare at the base. Dextermorgan was carrying a stun rod, and his corpse, along with all items on it, was blown up by Gondolin's rocket tank.

gxLXS.jpg

Replacement soldiers are transferred to EuroCOM from NorthAmCOM.

VgPKO.jpg

The X-COM High Command, having read the scientists' reports concerning the gray alien biology, decided to supplement the potato diet offered at EuroCOM's canteen with some proteins.

tlIbt.jpg

Nepotism runs rampant among X-COM's ranks. MMXI Jr is appointed Captain for no apparent reason.

RECRUITMENT OPTIONS:

Soldiers will now assume callsigns as per your wishes. New soldiers will be assuming callsigns of their deceased fellows. We're not advanced enough to clone troopers yet. I plan on making agressive interceptions most of the time, resulting in pilot casualties. After all, the UFOs should not only run, but also manoeuvre to attack their pursuers!

The main base has openings for:

1 Fighter pilot

The two auxiliary interception bases have each oepnings for:

2 Squaddies
9 Rookies
1 Tank/Rocket Launcher remote pilot

The Asian interception base has additional openings for:

1 Captain
2 Sargeants
1 Fighter pilot

Be warned, however, that the Asian base won't see action soon, perhaps apart from figher pilot.

X-COM TROOPS ROSTER

Code:
EuroCOM

Roxorowski	Commander	
Bee		Fighter pilot	Interceptor-1
Malkal		Captain		
eklektyk	Captain		
Gondolin	Tank pilot	
KickAss		Tank pilot	
JoKa		Sargeant	
Azira		Sargeant	
Pope Amole	Sargeant	
RK47		Sargeant	
Lightbane	Sargeant	
Slaughter	Squaddie	
ironyuri	Squaddie	
Slips		Squaddie	
Sergiu64	Squaddie	
MMXI		Squaddie	
Thrombone	Squaddie
Desmondus Rotundus Squaddie
U-Cat		Squaddie
Korenzel	Squaddie
Spider		Squaddie
Derper		Rookie
Jaedar Jr	Rookie
Hellraiser	Rookie

NorthAmCOM

Ripper		Colonel		
chzr		Fighter pilot	Interceptor-3
Hartman		Sargeant	
golgepapaz	Sargeant	

AsiaCOM

TNO		Colonel		

RIP

Hellraiser	Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
Jaedar		Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
MMXI		Squaddie	
pounded_anus	Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
dextermorgan	Squaddie (posthumous promotion)

dextermorgan

Arcane
One of KwaCOM's rookies assumes the callsign of dextermorgan.
:rage:
Rookies dextermorgan and Derper are transferred to PotatoCOM so that they'll see some action. Two new soldiers are enlisted in their place.
:yeah:
dextermorgan attempts to kill it... Without much success.
Dextermorgan is unsuccessful too...
He manages to kill one alien, but dextermorgan has to deal with the other... It works.
:yeah:
He is, however, shot. RIP dextermorgan

And this is why I love these LPs. Em, how is your cloning tech?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
dextermorgan said:
He is, however, shot. RIP dextermorgan

And this is why I love these LPs. Em, how is your cloning tech?

Not good. Alien cloning can't even be researched without hacking the game. But any of the soldiers listed in the recriutment options above will happily take the callsign of dextermorgan II. Just name your pick.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Noted. This will be the first thing in the next update. But enough updates for today. Now... now it's voting time!

We've been fortunate to capture two live aliens and our containment facility is fully operational. The science team, though scheduled to research personal armor when laser rifles are designed, will be eager to try and establish contact with the gray creatures. Therefore:

10 scientists will research armor.
10 scientists will research one of the captured aliens.
30 scientists will be split between the topics according to your votes.

Remember, it is vital to interrogate an alien so as to begin gaining better understanding of their technology!

So, do you prefer:

A)rmor
or
I)nterrogation?

dextermorgan

Arcane
Storyfag said:
Not good. Alien cloning can't even be researched without hacking the game. But any of the soldiers listed in the recriutment options above will happily take the callsign of dextermorgan II. Just name your pick.
Ah, ok. In that case feel free to "volunteer" a greenhorn to bear my callsign on the next mission, by method of random choice. I'm sure it will bring him/her/it luck. :salute:

Edit for vote: Go with armor this time.

MMXI

Arcane
Storyfag said:
Nepotism runs rampant among X-COM's ranks. MMXI Jr is appointed Captain for no apparent reason.
:love:

The roster seems a little screwed. MMXI is rightly listed as deceased, yet is also still listed as a living squaddie at EuroCOM. MMXI Jr isn't listed at all. Perhaps you've yet to update it, though. :salute:

Voting A.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
MMXI said:
The roster seems a little screwed. MMXI is rightly listed as deceased, yet is also still listed as a living squaddie at EuroCOM. MMXI Jr isn't listed at all.

It seems I indeed screw up. I'll make a new, proper roster from the ground up, referencing the game. But that won't happen today.

Kashmir Slippers said:
Armor will help much more than whatever the alien can say.

Keep in mind that it is no longer vanilla UFO, but my LARPing version of it. Alien interrogations are crucial to get *any* of their tech :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom