Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

Esquilax

Arcane
Bob said:
Can just anyone join this party? If so....

B + D

Argyll is immediately useful in the sense that he's seen you throw something into the river and that he has access to the docklands files. However he is mean and that implies he's untrustworthy if you're ever in a position of weakness. He'll probably be on your side as long as you appear to be winning. He seems to like you, which could provide some motive for his following you around.

Fowlesworth fucked up his chance at politics. He's a liability. Good will's all very well but you've got to be able to back it up with ability. You trust him with something what's going to happen?

Egging them on is a little too blatant an action. They'll know it was you.

Sigh and walk on past.

Welcome. Good post.

I'm kinda skeptical about Argyll "liking" us. Don't you find it suspicious that he's always around us, no matter where we seem to be. We go to our chambers, it's Argyll, we go out, we see Argyll again. It's quite a series of coincidences.

Fowlesworth's a liability, but to whom? This guy has been stewing in hatred for decades probably, I'm sure that he hates Eames. I'm not sure what sort of plans we'll be able to cook up with Fowlesworth, but at the very least, he's a possible scapegoat.

I'm hoping we can trust him to keep lookout at the Greenwich Chantry while we head to the other side. Or even better, convince him into doing our dirty work for us. I think Fowlesworth might be more desperate than Joan.

There's no way Eames would have asked the Malkavian to read you in front of you if she didn't want you to know that she distrusted you. Present a threat with one hand and then act as the salvation with the other.

You don't bother threatening people who aren't worth anything to you, at least not in the run-up to a big op, you kill them on the suspicion - as a precaution.

She needs you, and for the moment that's all you need by way of trust. You're both optimising in more or less the same space. Tit for tat - she's done you a 'favour' I'd suggest you find some way to reciprocate.

D

You don't kill them, you're right... unless you're taking a page from Anthony's book and keeping them alive so you can find out who they're working for.

Anyways boys and girls, I think it's too little, too late to come sucking up to Eames. I have a feeling that the plot will start to thicken very shortly, and we may no longer have Hob in our sights if we have to waste time getting close to Eames. We should have done that before with the Docklands info and we should have stayed in instead of went out to chase after that stupid fucking phone.

Because I think that time is limited, I think our best bet is to remain consistent with our choices; we know about the tunnel, so it makes no sense to ditch that lead completely. Again, I think you D voters are chasing safety with a choice that's not really safe or profitable for us at all.

On that note, I'm voting CF. Not that it matters at this point, I guess.

Oh yeah... MOOOOOOOOAAAAARRRRRR!!! Has it really been a week?

Esquilax

Arcane
Excidium said:
6 days since the last update.

I need my weekly dose of VTM.

This weekly update bullshit has got me jonesin' all the time, bro. I'm gettin' the shakes, man. Haven't shown up to work in weeks. I remember back in the day we'd have at least two or three hits a week of this good shit. Now I gotta suck some filthy goth P&Pers dick if I want a fix. This guy's stuff is just filled with stupid clown Mallks and bullshit Anne Rice angst it ain't the good shit, all watered down, but I gotta get high somehow, right? I ain't proud of it, but that's what it's come down to.

grotsnik

Arcane
Think C & D won it. So...Joan needs a bug. Looks like we'll be taking a trip to the seedier parts of town.

Btw, I'm heading off on holiday next week, so I'll try and fit in a mini-Sommers update as well before I go to make up for the delay.

Bob said:
Can just anyone join this party? If so....

Yup, pitch in!

grotsnik

Arcane
Chapter 5 - At Shakpana

You snap,

“That’s fucking enough, Argyll!”

Argyll stops. He gazes at you, apparently amused by your intervention, and holds up his hands.

“All right,” he says, “all right. Only having a bit of fun. We have to take our pleasures where we can, don’t we?”

Seizing his opportunity, Fowlesworth scoops the clothing back up into his arms. Directing a feeble kick in the direction of Argyll’s shins, he turns, and scurries madly away towards the hidden doorway.

“Oi!” Argyll snaps after him. “Come back! Come back here, you little prick! I’m not done with – did he just try to kick me?”

The door slams.

After a few seconds, Father Nicholas pokes his head out from the entrance to the apse. He raises a finger to his lips, frowning.

“Yeah, yeah,” Argyll calls, waving a hand in his direction. “We know, we’re making too much noise. Piss off back into your parlour, padre.”

He grins toothily at you, as if hoping for a reaction. When you simply stare back at him, he spits, and turns.

“Fucking humourless bastards,” he mutters, not quite under his breath, and stalks away after Fowlesworth. The door slams, a second time.

The old ghoul gives you a sympathetic look.

“You all right, girl?” he asks.

You nod.

Father Nicholas smiles.

“Drink?” he says.

You take a seat in the cramped office. A tattered portrait of Christ, standing over the swine at Gerasene, hangs on the wall. The curtains are drawn.

Father Nicholas fumbles at the heavy padlock of his cupboard.

“The Regentia has me keep a couple of blood bags in here for emergencies,” he explains. “I used to have nightmares that I’d pour it out during Communion, instead of wine. So I locked it away.”

He yanks the cupboard door open. Inside, surrounded by blue ice-packs, are three translucent bags bearing the St John’s Ambulance insignia. The vitae sloshes as he pours it out into a small china mug.

He slides it across the desk to you; you take a small sip, and then a second, hungrier mouthful.

“I’ve seen Mr Fowlesworth walk in and out of this church for the past forty years,” he says. “And my predecessor knew him too. Told me he’d be gone soon. And do you know, one night he was being mocked by a young Kindred by the name of Samantha Eames, and he sat up here in one of the pews. Quivering like a child. And I came across to him, and asked him how he was – and he struck me right here, on the cheek. Told me not to presume to speak up to my betters.”

You remain silent. His eyes are shimmering with sadness.

“Don’t waste your compassion on the insulted and injured, child,” he whispers. “They’ll know you’re weak, and they’ll know they’ve found someone else to put themselves above.”

A scrabbling, from far above. Something is making its way across the roof of the church.

“It’s that damned…thing,” Father Nicholas says. “Blackheath. God, I wish it’d fall off and shatter.”

He finds a cigarette from somewhere in his jacket, and lights it with a battered Zippo.

“Guess you miss cigarettes,” he mutters, and breathes out. “Or gin, or skunk, or whatever you used to hunger for. I couldn’t live without cigarettes. Even if the Regentia offered to Embrace me…no, I could never.”

“Do you still believe?” you ask him, suddenly. “In God, or heaven, or whatever?”

“Not for the past forty years,” Father Nicholas says. He grins. “Though I can still whip up a grand sermon, you know. This Sunday it was about communities. What we can do for our fellow man, even in a place so broken as London.”

He stares at his fiery cigarette end for a moment, with sudden disgust. Then he stubs it out, against the wood of his desk.

“You ever need someone to talk to, girl,” he tells you, “you come to me, and I’ll listen.”

A night passes. Eames, much to your irritation, is in all evening, and tasks you with finding records of an obscure clause in Kindred property law in the 1700s.

“Oh – and tell me, did you have fun at the Whiplash, dearest?” she asks, hesitating in the doorway.

“Very pleasant, Regentia,” you tell her.

“Did you happen to see anyone in there,” she says, “drinking a strange sort of blood? It would have had a powder in it, a scarlet powder.”

“No,” you reply, pretending to consider. “I mean, I wasn’t looking – people could’ve been drinking it, sure. Do you want me to look out for it in the future, Regentia?”

“Interesting,” Eames says, to herself. “No, leave it. I’ll need that information by dawn, yes?”

The night after, Eames leaves the chantry. You wait for an hour, and then slip a hooded jacket on and head out yourself.

The Tube is airless, and empty. You slip down the escalators in the too-bright, unreal light, the advertising screens flashing message after message at you as you go.

Two stops to Brixton.

On the first train, you sit opposite gnarled, ancient Asian woman, wrapped in a hijab, who rocks backwards and forwards, eyes closed, moaning at nothing.

The train rattles through darkness, and back into light.

It’s where you go if you don’t want anyone else to know what you’re up to. That’s how the whisper tells it. Heading to the Whiplash, or the P-N-P? Forget it. The Harpies know your name; and they’ll know who to pass it on to.

If you’re sure of yourself, and confident you won’t end up in a back alley, drained of vitae to be sold on, you make for the dingy, foul-smelling bar known as Shakpana, and you ask to speak with Francois Osazema.

You find it, in the end, down an alleyway south of the station. The sign is handpainted, in a whirlwind of colours, drawn across the back of a wide-eyed crocodile that appears to be consuming a man. One crudely-daubed hand protrudes from between its teeth.

There’s no bouncer on the door; you suppose there doesn’t need to be.

As quickly as possible, reckoning on a sharp, discreet entrance, you push open the door and step inside.

Thick, twisting smoke hangs in the semi-darkness. Two dreadlocked Kindred, one of them with a sickly-looking Kine girl draped across his lap, are playing at cards. Near the small, unoccupied stage, a long black curtain has been drawn across some continuation of the room. A battered jukebox in the corner of the room appears to be broken, emitting the same throaty, scratched snatch of tune, over and over,

Oh, the earth died screaming…
As I lay dreaming…
Oh, the earth died screaming…
As I lay dreaming…

And at the bar, a tall man in a baggy pink polo shirt is deep in conversation with the barmaid.

You stand beside him, ignoring the glances in your direction, and wait.

A small bowl of shimmering yellow liquid stands on the bar before you. You hesitate, and then lower your face to sniff at it. A sharp, unpleasant tang. Urine. Ugh.

“-didn’t you hear me, girl? I want to speak to Francois Osazema.”

You glance to your left.

The tall man in the polo shirt is leaning forward, across the bar. There’s a growing anger in his tone.

The barmaid snaps back,

“My God, man, weren’t you listening? I already said there ain’t no Francois Osazema here. Why don’t you go bother somebody else?”

The man slams his fist down on the tarnished wood.

“I know he’s here,” he says, with exaggerated calm. “He knows I want to speak with him. So why don’t you go and tell Francois Osazema who’s fucking here to see him?”

The girl hesitates. Her gaze drifts towards the long black curtain.

Then, without a word, she reaches over to the little brass bell hanging over the bar, and rings it once.

A moment of silence; and then, from somewhere beyond the curtain, a single peal responds.

The tall man grunts, apparently satisfied. Glancing contemptuously at the card-players, who are now watching him intently, he strides across to the curtain and slips through it.

A single second later, you hear a low, startled grunt. Something heavy seems to fall back against the curtain, and then slide downwards. The card-players return to their game.

Beneath the gap, a single line of blood is working its way across the floorboards. A rustling sound, as the heavy object is apparently dragged back from the curtain.

The barmaid gives you a sweet, unconcerned smile.

“Yardie,” she says. “We don’t like Yardies in here. What can I do for you, princess?”

For a second, you simply gape. After all, you tell yourself, she did at least give him a second warning…

“I…I’d like to see Francois Osazema,” you venture.

She gives you a wink, which isn’t immediately encouraging, then leans across and rings the little brass bell three times.

Three rings in reply.

“I’d give him a moment,” the barmaid advises. “He likes to clean up when he’s seeing guests.”

You nod weakly; and after a moment, steeling yourself, you step out behind the curtain, and into blackness. The noise and light of the bar seems to shut out instantly, as if cut off by an external force.

You keep walking forward. Your hands stretch out, feeling for the walls, but you find nothing. After what seems like far too long, you halt, considering the possibility of turning back.

“Keep going, daughter,” whispers a voice, low and rich with the smell of peat-bogs, into your very ear.

You freeze.

“Nothing to be fearing, daughter,” the voice hisses. “Come on, now. Don’t keep me waiting.”

So you take another step forward through the pitch. And another.

“That’s it. Not far now…”

And a noise rises out of the darkness, shrill and chaotic, a hundred different voices, crying out at once.

Your fingers brush up against a wall of stringy, damp cloth. Brushing it gratefully to one side, you step forward, into the light.

From their cages, filling the walls of the little stone room to the very roof, the chickens shriek, pounding their wings desperately against the mesh containing them.

“Good evening, daughter,” says Francois Osazema. His rotting, corpse-grey face spreads wide, into a grin.

You knew he’d be a Samedi, of course. But you weren’t prepared for this; the caved-in mess where his nose once was, the long fingers which extend into raw bone. The revolting creature sits, at a small workbench, spectacles balanced precariously over the stumps of his ears, dressed in what appears to be a brown patterned cardigan.

“Go on, stare,” he continues, mildly. “I do not mind.”

With a flourish, he holds up a baggy pink polo shirt, and gives it a long, critical gaze. It’s been torn, from collar to base; and blood has seeped into the material.

“This can be sewn up,” he declares, “but the blood will never come out. A pity; it will have to serve as bedding for my chickens.”

He drops it, carelessly.

It occurs to you that you really should be speaking.

“Mr Osazema,” you say, after a moment, “I’ve been told you’re the right man to ask about…finding items that can’t be traced. That you’re discreet.”

Osazema responds, bone-fingers tapping against the edge of his own iron vice,

“And all of that is true, daughter.”

“I need a bug,” you continue. “Something tiny – small enough that it’ll be very hard to find. I don’t need to buy it – I just need it for a couple of nights. A week at most.”

The Samedi exhales. Snatching away his spectacles, he sits back, and gazes at you. A globule of loose skin is hanging from his right cheek.

“I know of such a device,” he says, “and without boasting I may say that I will have little trouble procuring it for you. It will be cheaper than through a Kine gadget-man, and far more reliable. But I will require payment in advance.”

“I can give you as much as two-hundred and fifty pounds,” you tell him. “I don’t have much other than pocket-money-”

He smiles, and shakes his head.

“Double it,” he says, “and you may have an idea of the product I am thinking of. But this was not my intention, daughter. No. You Tremere do not value money. You value secrets, yes – and tricks? Well, then…it is a trick I want from you, daughter. I wish a Kine to disappear. Do you think you can make a Kine disappear?”

You watch him closely.

“What do you mean by ‘disappear’,” you ask, “Mr Osazema?”

Osazema shrugs.

“Exactly that,” he says. “I wish her no longer walking and talking in London. Poof! Gone! Nobody famous, you understand, nobody important, simply an ordinary woman…but I want her gone, and I want her gone for good.”

What’re you thinking?

A) Agree to make this Kine disappear, one way or another.

B) Perhaps it’d be easier to steal the money and give that to him instead.

C) His asking price is absurd. You’d be much better off just going to a gadget shop.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
A). It's just a kine, shouldn't be too hard.

And damn we just fucked up with Argyll for no benefit. Should have known better. :x

laclongquan

Arcane
"It shouldnt be too hard", a famous last sayings of many a Kindred before attacking a seemingly innocuous Kine.

Beside, we trade in secrets. It would be foolish to trade some secrets for a gadget that can be bought.

So no, I advise against doing his dirty work. Better to steal the money.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

And what do you mean no benefit? You got a sympathetic Kine in that nest of monster, some things of immense value once you decide to make a move, either fight or run.

Blackheath? Isnt that a golem of this chantry?

Erebus

Arcane
A) Knowing who he wants to make disappear could be useful information even if we decide not to do it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
laclongquan said:
"It shouldnt be too hard", a famous last sayings of many a Kindred before attacking a seemingly innocuous Kine.

True. :lol: I'm rather curious though.

laclongquan said:
And what do you mean no benefit? You got a sympathetic Kine in that nest of monster, some things of immense value once you decide to make a move, either fight or run.
Indeed, was just thinking of that other asshole. This ghoul seems like a decent person. Unless...he's spying on us too? :paranoia:

laclongquan said:
Blackheath? Isnt that a golem of this chantry?
Yes.

Esquilax

Arcane
I was initially for B, but I've concluded it isn't a smart choice. This man, Osazema... he isn't the type of guy that seems particularly interested in money. If we come to his place of business (where he just casually killed a man only moments before) and just ask for a bug in exchange for 500 pounds, it could come off as insulting. This place isn't some electronics store where you go in, buy what you want, then leave. This man trades in favours, not money. Joan could easily acquire the money by Dominating someone into giving her their wallet, so funds aren't really the issue.

See, we're in this position: we REALLY need a reliable, undetectable bug provided to us from a discrete source, while Osazema isn't so desperate that he needs 500 pounds. We have no bargaining power, so we pretty much have to agree to his terms.

“I can give you as much as two-hundred and fifty pounds,” you tell him. “I don’t have much other than pocket-money-”

He smiles, and shakes his head.

“Double it,” he says, “and you may have an idea of the product I am thinking of. But this was not my intention, daughter. No. You Tremere do not value money. You value secrets, yes – and tricks? Well, then…it is a trick I want from you, daughter. I wish a Kindred to disappear. Do you think you can make a Kine disappear?”

This guy wants something done, and he saw an opportunity to pawn something off on us when we walked in. Unfortunately, he's our best bet - asking for sensitive shit like this from someone else is too dangerous. Dubrik pointed us to this individual because he knew that this place was safe from prying eyes, so at this point, we have no choice but to work with Osazema

I have no doubt that this task is not as simple as Osazema is making it out to be. Perhaps it's a powerful ghoul or Hunter? It might be a Kine, but it's not going to be simple.

AAAAAAAAAAAA

laclongquan

Arcane
And now that I'm reading it again... drinking urine? WTF is this shit I dont even...

I still hold on to NOT do the dirty deed for him, you understand. But I am a bit curious. The woman he's talking about, is she perhaps a secretary in the Whitehall, hmm? A member in Sommers' employ, perhaps, killed by a Tremere under Eames' command. It could be even more better, but I doubt it.

grotsnik

Arcane
laclongquan said:
And now that I'm reading it again... drinking urine? WTF is this shit I dont even...

Urine's sometimes used as an ingredient in hoodoo/folk magic, y'see. If I remember rightly, the bladder's meant to be one of the body's places of power.

Well, if this is what we've gotten ourselves into, backing out doesn't seem so good an idea. I think just swallowing the Humanity point and going A would be best. And, yeah, I can't imagine him actually giving much of a toss about a few hundred pounds.

grotsnik said:
Urine's sometimes used as an ingredient in hoodoo/folk magic, y'see. If I remember rightly, the bladder's meant to be one of the body's places of power.
Why bring magic into matters culinary? Clearly, it's a matter of flavor.

Esquilax

Arcane
Rod Rodderson said:
Well, if this is what we've gotten ourselves into, backing out doesn't seem so good an idea. I think just swallowing the Humanity point and going A would be best. And, yeah, I can't imagine him actually giving much of a toss about a few hundred pounds.

I don't think that the Humanity thing is a big issue; if Joan's espionage proves to be successful, she's going to join the Sabbat and adopt a Path of Enlightenment anyways.

I think that taking up the Samedi's offer is not only important because it's the best option we've got (B he tells us to go fuck ourselves, C risks exposure) but because I'd like to continue doing business with him in the future. Seems to me like this guy could be quite useful down the road, and a favour done for him now might mean a potential ally in the future. I gotta admit, it's also damn intriguing to find out who he wants us to kill.

Anyways, what do you guys think about Father Nick, the ghoul? I say he's a bro. I don't think he was bullshitting us and that he might be a potential ally. Whenever Eames isn't around, he pretty much lets the apprentices do whatever the fuck they want. Then again if he's Eames' ghoul, well... then we fucked up with Argyll for no reason.

Esquilax said:
I don't think that the Humanity thing is a big issue; if Joan's espionage proves to be successful, she's going to join the Sabbat and adopt a Path of Enlightenment anyways.
From what I remember, path followers were a minority even in the Sabbat, and not all of their Humanity adherents have particularly low ratings (it's just easy to degenerate and there's not much pressure to keep it high). Not necessarily a problem to lose some, of course, just a thing that's likely to happen.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Esquilax said:
Anyways, what do you guys think about Father Nick, the ghoul? I say he's a bro. I don't think he was bullshitting us and that he might be a potential ally. Whenever Eames isn't around, he pretty much lets the apprentices do whatever the fuck they want. Then again if he's Eames' ghoul, well... then we fucked up with Argyll for no reason.
He looks like a bro, but I have a hard time trusting someone too amiable, specially a ghoul who has little control over his will.

Bob

Novice
A

Killing people is relatively easy if they don’t know you’re coming. And if he wanted us dead there are simpler ways to do it. He’s got some confidence that we’ll be able to kill this person which means – considering he’s got no reason to assume we’re a super powered killing machine - he’s not got anything too nasty up his sleeves.

Go blow up some shmuck’s house? Couple of bucks on gas and lighters should cover it. He needs to be more specific about the terms of this disappearance really. If he wants it to look like it wasn’t a hit or something.

Then again if he wanted it loud why wouldn’t he do it himself? Guess we could always go in through the window but if they’ve got an alarm system. -shrug- Well then there’d be signs of struggle.

Really depends on the terms of the job.

We do need that bug though so unless the terms are something horribly complicated - which they shouldn't be - we should go with it.

Esquilax said:
Welcome. Good post.

I'm kinda skeptical about Argyll "liking" us. Don't you find it suspicious that he's always around us, no matter where we seem to be. We go to our chambers, it's Argyll, we go out, we see Argyll again. It's quite a series of coincidences.

Fowlesworth's a liability, but to whom? This guy has been stewing in hatred for decades probably, I'm sure that he hates Eames. I'm not sure what sort of plans we'll be able to cook up with Fowlesworth, but at the very least, he's a possible scapegoat.

I'm hoping we can trust him to keep lookout at the Greenwich Chantry while we head to the other side. Or even better, convince him into doing our dirty work for us. I think Fowlesworth might be more desperate than Joan.

Thanks.

I assume Eames would assign someone more subtle if she were going that route. Admittedly she might be playing a double bluff – make him look stupider that he really is – but why attract our attention in the first place?

Fowlesworth might just as well sell us out. He’s still there which means no-one’s made use of him and or kept their word to him subsequently. Do we have anything he wants? If he sells us out there’s a low probability he’ll get improved conditions. If he doesn’t....

Esquilax said:
You don't kill them, you're right... unless you're taking a page from Anthony's book and keeping them alive so you can find out who they're working for.

If she were trying to find out who we were working for then spooking us.... eh, maybe yes, maybe no. A decent spy wouldn't move from routine. I suspect she’s hoping to make use of us and then get rid of us. Our saving grace is she can't measure quite how much we know so she doesn't know quite when we can get out of there. Bit of a race. If we learn enough quickly enough we get to live.

laclongquan

Arcane
Dont really think that Eames send spy to us. Aryll can spy on Joan by his own initiative to get ahead. We act as if everyone around us is a spy, and move accordingly, that's all there is to plan.

And Codex, what the hell? You dont even react to that little titbit grotsnik bro dangle forward? Are you that jade or just plain uncaring?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
laclongquan said:
And Codex, what the hell? You dont even react to that little titbit grotsnik bro dangle forward? Are you that jade or just plain uncaring?

Meaning what? The urine bit? Samedi use voodoo, news at eleven...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom