Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: XCOM + Classic + Iron-Man OR: Reserve Your Corpse's Name!

Zeriel

Arcane
Zeriel

I disagree about the diffusal mission btw. It can done almost leisurely.

Depends on the map and your tech level. Early game safe fighting on Classic and Impossible against enemies is pretty slow. If you get unlucky, things can spiral out of control really quick.

On the graveyard map, if you concentrate all your squaddies in one place (which is the safest), you'll run out of bombs to defuse every turn on the way to the big bomb. Splitting up becomes necessary.

Captain Shrek

Zeriel

I disagree about the diffusal mission btw. It can done almost leisurely.

Depends on the map and your tech level. Early game safe fighting on Classic and Impossible against enemies is pretty slow. If you get unlucky, things can spiral out of control really quick.

On the graveyard map, if you concentrate all your squaddies in one place (which is the safest), you'll run out of bombs to defuse every turn on the way to the big bomb. Splitting up becomes necessary.

Well to be honest I played only the Train and the Graveyard maps with the Classic difficulty. So probably I do not know how it is on on Impossible.

Zeriel

Arcane
Update 3: Operation Bloody Palace

OPERATION BLOODY PALACE
PUk9s.jpg
New stuffies! We detect our first UFO that isn't already on the ground, probing the anuses of local cows. We can scramble interceptors to shoot it down, or let it go. If you let it go, a bigger ship will show up and cruise after your satellites, which is a good way to lose the game. (It's also a good way to pick up very advanced tech, but we'll get back to this later.)
RIZGc.jpg
Into the danger zone, yeah!
rHnt2.jpg
oTcNT.jpg
Interceptor combat is automatic. Both ships fire on each other until one is destroyed, you flee, or the time window runs out. Later on you can construct consumable pursuit modules that make you dodge shots, do more damage, hit more often, etc. It's all fairly declinetastic. While I don't consider the combat map portion of the game popamole, this sure is.
c9dd9.jpg
h4xJX.jpg
QhkmF.jpg
hJucd.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
I will take your recommendation into advisement. Lieutenant, retask Satellite Bravo to coordinates 57.5, 39.5, 125.8. Magnify. Magnify. MAGNIFY. Mag--no, wait. Perfect.
gCBPh.jpg
Commander, who is this woman? And why are we magnifying an image of her chest?
ZX0b4.jpg
SILENCE! My hyper-weapon requires absolute quiet to prepare for battle.
lXifT.jpg
The dirty 1/3 dozen, about to pile into the Skyranger.
fyynl.jpg
oz0Kj.jpg
Believe it or not, but our first movement uncovers a pair of sectoids, just chilling in the forest clearing.
1odP8.jpg
After they duck behind cover, one of our intrepid rookies takes a shot. Almost a clean kill!
1tmZX.jpg
One sectoid goes on overwatch, the other blasts out the tree our other rookie was hiding behind, nearly toasting them.
i7T0l.jpg
This rookie is really establishing her chops. She's already got a much better marksmanship ratio than Ulminati. Still, she doesn't have to deal with a scope bigger than her own head, so there's that.
WMdKU.jpg
Both sectoids gunned down in short order, we move on.
khpDM.jpg
The hulk of the flying saucer comes into view, still smoldering. We hear some footsteps ahead. Tiny, tiny footsteps.
mUIQb.jpg
Sure enough, it's our favorite type of rascaly, interstellar old men. They run into the UFO, which is basically analogous to more terrestrial old men running back inside their house and drawing the blinds whenever those damned kids are mucking about in his lawn.
ZcFge.jpg
We wait on overwatch until they come back out, blinking their old, rheumatic eyes. Our star rookie flubs a shot on purpose, hoping to establish a friendship with Ulminati.
FADmf.jpg
BZAAAM! Tigranes manages to avoid turning his head into a puddle of plasma by a few inches. Note Ulminati on the right, setting up for a sniper shot.
y20oy.jpg
cJVhh.jpg
Tigranes brought along an assault rifle this time, instead of a shotgun. I far prefer rifles to shotguns until late game. Since you typically only have one or two assaults with shotguns, they tend to get ahead of the others and get in way over their head, simply as a result of needing to be close to use their weapons. They're also plain inflexible. I prefer medium to long range ambushes that end in the same turn they start.
1a2T3.jpg
Star rookie pegs the sectoid in the head. Apologizes to Ulminati afterwards.
U1cmD.jpg
The next sectoid rushes out of the UFO. Ulminati relaxes in his leisure time by firing confetti and party favors in the general direction of the enemy. (Overwatch confetti, incidentally.)
rxsMZ.jpg
Oh shit, Ulminati's about to land a shot!
KjPJi.jpg
A satisfying snipe if I ever saw one.
1ge8X.jpg
Yep, 9 damage with a pea-shooter. Commander Rance is proud today. We inch forward towards the UFO, and run into something new...
hpbXX.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
What is that thing? It's uglier than Bradford! Kill it!
r84OV.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
KILL IT! I said kill it, not carress it lightly with shell casings!
2iDTe.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
If you didn't have a vagina, I'd have you court-martialed for that aim!
0ZPPA.jpg
I'll take this opportunity to mention that while snipers probably look like total ass so far, they develop into single-man death-squads by end game. Eventually they get to soar through the skies with rocket pack armor, while one-shotting enemies twice a turn from further away than those same enemies can even shoot. For now, they get to feel emo.
ZX0b4.jpg
NEW STRATEGY! Throw grenades until nothing is moving.
t7rs7.jpg
k0mtl.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Gahahahha! My tactical brilliance knows no bounds.
gCBPh.jpg
Your "tactical brilliance" just destroyed several priceless alien technologies.
ZX0b4.jpg
There's no need to heap such praise on me.
YERkp.jpg
NFB82.jpg
acKtH.jpg
Ah, the much-fabled Squad Sight. This will make Ulminati a lot more dangerous. He still has the downside as a sniper of being unable to move and shoot in the same turn, but now he can sit in the same spot for entire maps and just snipe everything near his allies. Gentlemen, commence the Winter War.
edpa8.jpg
Remember that star rookie? She told us her real name, and picked up a rocket launcher. This one's a keeper.
O6JMG.jpg
Assault early tier abilities are boring. No, that's not what this screenshot is about! Compare his Will & Aim to the previous screenshots. Noticing a difference? That's not just the classes at play. We're seeing the effect of the Second Wave option that randomizes troop stats. It's a much more dramatic differential than I was expecting. Some of us just aren't as good at being cold-blooded killers, I suppose.
XDAmQ.jpg
Incidentally, we finished researching Alien Materials! This will let us equip soldiers with nano-fiber vests (which increase health, at the cost of being able to use grenades or a medikit), and opens up research into a new type of armor, which we'll go for immediately. It'll take a while to get that new research done, though.
TWO WEEKS (AND MISSIONS) LATER...
tlIWT.jpg
Holy hell, Commander! What happened out there?
ZX0b4.jpg
Huh? Seemed like a pretty by-the-books mission in France. An injury, but they're big babies, anyway.
tlIWT.jpg
I meant the bomb defusal in China! I just saw the bodybags...
ZX0b4.jpg
Oh, *that*. Don't get so excited. I mean, I know all we could find after he got shot was a puddle of goo, but it was a rookie. Who even knows their names?
tlIWT.jpg
What about Tigranes? He's on the casualty list.
ZX0b4.jpg
Dohohoho, don't believe everything you read. His corpse was virtually untouched! Just a mild case of death..y...ness. I've got Vahlen working on a very promising revivification process. With any luck, he'll be back on the frontlines in a month.
ND0Bj.jpg
The monthly debrief. Usually by this time we'd have 1-2 extra satellites operational, but Marathon changes everything.
END OF MARCH
So what happened? After I decided I'd have to not detail every mission on Marathon since it's going to take so long, we had the usual end-of-month Council mission. These are scripted missions near the end of each month where you deal with some scenario the Council has called you in to help with. They have extra enemy spawns, and start out fairly tough (since the enemies spawned are tougher than enemies you typically find at that point), and decline in difficulty over time (since those enemy types are never changed).​
The reward is less panic (which helps out with preventing countries from defecting to the aliens) and a bundle of cash. The mission was a success--but it went all pear-shaped at the end, and we lost a rookie and Tigranes. He'll be back, but unfortunately I wasn't expecting anything majorly awesome, so I didn't get juicy screenshots. I apologize for the lapse in death-camming. I promise next time there will be gory photos of our good friends being gunned down by plasma.​

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dunno if it's fixed now, but I recall the release version of sniper rifles were bugged so their accuracy got higher the longer away the enemy was. Which means with squadsight it was fairly trivial to get 100% hit chance.

Zeriel

Arcane
Dunno if it's fixed now, but I recall the release version of sniper rifles were bugged so their accuracy got higher the longer away the enemy was. Which means with squadsight it was fairly trivial to get 100% hit chance.

I don't think that's a bug. I was under the impression that's the way they're supposed to work: short-range they're complete ass, the longer range you can manage to be at without losing your ability to "see" the enemy, the better.

@ Everyone,

I wanted to ask, what would people like to see more and less of? Less combat miniutiae? More Rance dialogue? Just highlights of the best/most hilarious combat situations instead of exhaustive run-throughs? Keep in mind that the narrative of the game is really thin and so if we want more narrative structure it'll just be made off the top of my head.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Larping is quite difficult, so be careful with it, even if Rance makes it somewhat easier. I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more of the combat, I only tried out the demo at a friend's place.

Cool name

Arcane
I do have yet to play the new game so to learn about the combat, the base construction, and the global level is what does interest me the most. I would not mind to see more of them. And amusing, weird, or badass situations that did beg to be LARPed are the main thing I do remember of the old X-Com games so I would not mind to see more of Rance and the soldiers.

In any case, moar. So far the game does look much better than I did expect.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'll que if you run out of bodies
Dimitry "Shaden"
Male
CRAZY RYSSKIE
Preferable lot's of exploding and smoke grenades of all sorts

I wanted to ask, what would people like to see more and less of?
You seem to keep it balanced so just keep up good work :thumbsup:

Zeriel

Arcane
Wait, so I'm useless at everything?

:(

No doubt your revivified self will have insanely good stats. This is the way of ironic RNG.

I do have yet to play the new game so to learn about the combat, the base construction, and the global level is what does interest me the most. I would not mind to see more of them. And amusing, weird, or badass situations that did beg to be LARPed are the main thing I do remember of the old X-Com games so I would not mind to see more of Rance and the soldiers.

In any case, moar. So far the game does look much better than I did expect.

Yeah, it's... hard to pan XCOM too much. I mean it has issues and the geoscape badly needs a full sequels worth of added open-ness and more depth, but the tactical combat is very compelling. I'd even say that the combat is in some ways better than the original. There's actual tactical decisions to be made instead of just throwing ten more meatshields at any problem.

lightbane

Arcane
Also, I liked Stargate even in the final season. I could have stomached more seasons. The cast made that show--which was demonstrated by Atlantis, which was total garbage despite a fresher conceit and storyline, and Universe, which was the juice you squeeze out of really old garbage.

The amusing part of Atlantis is that the cast was beyond being bad, they were increasingly horrible sociopaths to the point it eventually became a self-parody. I loved how at least one minor character was killed in like every 3 episodes without anyone caring. Or that episode that was 99% filler and it was an excuse to kill one major character (EXPLOSIVE CANCER!!!). Or, the best of the best, how about 9/10 enemies the cast made was their actual fault, more than once a war was started because the "heroes" attacked first.

Also, I think your style is okay, you have to keep trying, sooner or later you'll find what it works for you (btw, consider trying that mod that increases your squad size, it should allow for more codexians suffering amusing deaths).

Zeriel

Arcane
Also, I liked Stargate even in the final season. I could have stomached more seasons. The cast made that show--which was demonstrated by Atlantis, which was total garbage despite a fresher conceit and storyline, and Universe, which was the juice you squeeze out of really old garbage.

The amusing part of Atlantis is that the cast was beyond being bad, they were increasingly horrible sociopaths to the point it eventually became a self-parody. I loved how at least one minor character was killed in like every 3 episodes without anyone caring. Or that episode that was 99% filler and it was an excuse to kill one major character (EXPLOSIVE CANCER!!!). Or, the best of the best, how about 9/10 enemies the cast made was their actual fault, more than once a war was started because the "heroes" attacked first.

Also, I think your style is okay, you have to keep trying, sooner or later you'll find what it works for you (btw, consider trying that mod that increases your squad size, it should allow for more codexians suffering amusing deaths).

Is the mod Warspace Extension? I really loathe that mod (and a lot of the others) for making an already fine game easier. I suppose I could use it and just do intentionally stupid things to put people in danger, though.

you really should add a paragraph to explain what game is it and a link to its website in the 1st post. I have no idea what it is.

Done. I also made a chapter of contents and spoilered all the updates the other day, so I'm thinking we're up to par now.

I think I'll try to include a little more explanation of how things work. I was doing that initially, but it kind of tapered off as I magically assumed everyone is a psychic for no reason.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's not even just mildly phallic either. It's screaming "OH GOD DICKS!".

Awesome, male, white, assault rifle.

Should you need more bodies to throw at the xenos defiling Holy Terra, I stand ready.

Zeriel

Arcane
Update 4 - Geoscape + Operation Final Justice

GEOSCAPE
aqcDV.jpg
The world! It's going to look a lot different if we let the aliens have their way with it.
I thought I'd take a few moments to start off this update with some explanation of the global layer of the game--the geoscape, as we used to call it in the first X-COM. Everything other than tactical combat falls under this heading: the world map, seen above, your base and its many sub-screens, and so forth. Let's start with the world. As I mentioned earlier, you can use it to fast forward time until the next incursion. You can also use it to see any current threats, and send out interceptors or strike teams to deal with the enemy. If threats are allowed to persist for too long (i.e you click the 'scan for activity' button to fast forward time while a threat is still current), you get a big fat failure and something bad happens. Usually this is just more panic for countries involved, but too much panic over too long a time will result in countries leaving the XCOM project, and eventually a GAME OVER screen.
mwrL1.jpg
The panic/satellite screen in the base, aka 'Situation Room'. (The Situation gets around, apparently.)
What's this panic thing, any way? It's an abstraction both of how terrified countries are of the UFO threat, and how far along alien infiltration is. If a country gets a full bar of panic (5 squares) and ends the month with that much panic, it will leave the XCOM project. The squares at the top of the map on this screen show how many countries you can hemorrhage before the game ends. Satellites are the most proactive way we have of dealing with panic: once built (and assuming we have enough room to deploy them in orbit, which requires a base structure called the 'Satellite Uplink'). Any country they're deployed in (or over, I should say) will immediately have its panic reset to 1. The best strategy is to rush as many satellites (and uplinks) as possible right away. The game is built to scare new players a little--even with a really good development strategy, there's a good chance on Classic difficulty you'll lose 1-3 countries at some point. It requires a perfect strategy and perfect execution to never lose any country on Classic. On Impossible, you should just expect to lose countries. And all of that is before Second Wave options & minor mistakes come into play.
es9uy.jpg
Abductions, abductions everywhere!
Remember abductions? These are the default mission type that bring us to cities and other settled areas. They're a case of triage: there are always multiple sites attacked, and we can only go to one. The sites we don't go to will trigger sizable panic increases for every country on that continent. This is the main strategic dilemma of the geoscape: managing the panic of countries across the globe and deploying satellites just before the end of the month to mitigate the panic in countries that have reached max panic. Once all the countries in a continent have full satellite coverage, the chances of it being targeted by abductions goes down dramatically, so taking a whole continent "off the board" as soon as possible is a smart way to control the global panic game. In addition, each abduction site has a different reward that is offered for completing it, so we have to juggle our need for scientists, engineers, cash, or a seasoned recruit with whether that abduction site gels with our panic control plan.
54984.jpg
Ye Olde Base Construction Screen. (Original X-COM.)
82yw3.jpg
Ye Newfangled Base Construction Doodad.
This screen is where we construct the base's facilities (tch, duh!). Like most everything else about the geoscape, we have to balance several competing needs. First, we need to make sure we always have enough satellite uplinks to deploy new satellites as we make them. Second, we need to make sure we have engineers, because a certain number is required for each additional satellite and uplink. Engineers also shorten the construction time and cost of anything made in the engineering bay, which is basically anything solid: new prototyped alien aircraft, new weapons, new armor, new gatling-turrets-on-wheels, even medikits. Third, we've got to make sure that while doing all of that, we find time to build laboratories at some point so our research program doesn't stall and leave us shooting 18th century boomsticks at Laser Death Robots from Mars.
Oh, and we've got to make sure we have enough power to supply every facility. Most of the base grid starts off unexcavated--each unexcavated tile takes time and money to open up, and extending the access lift down to further subterranean levels costs money & power for maintenance. And just as one final complicating factor, every facility of the same type (laboratory, workshop for engineers, satellite uplink, power generator) built adjacent to the same type offers a further bonus to its yield.
SlkGY.jpg
Ye Olde Space Garage.
1DIM1.jpg
The hangar is where we keep all of our UFO-destroying toys. It's fairly simple and straightforward: we can purchase new interceptors here, transfer them to other continents, or outfit them with different weapon loadouts we research through the labs. Interceptors only cover the continent they're stationed in. Satellites that are left undefended (no interceptors on the continent) will soon be shot down by UFOs, which is a game-bungling error of colossal proportions, since satellites cost a lot of money and take a long time to build. So you always want to make sure you've got interceptors ready to go for any region with a new satellite. Eventually, we can reverse-engineer alien technology to make our own Chinese sweat-shop counterfeit of their flying saucers, complete with plasma cannons and other goodies. We have to manufacture those Firestorms ourselves, though, no ordering them from this screen: apparently the mail-order industry for interstellar aircraft hasn't taken off yet.
tSXqQ.jpg
cUsvW.jpg
The officer training school is a sub-screen of the Barracks (which is otherwise just a boring list of all our soldiers, and whether or not their limbs are currently blown off). Through it, we can buy all sorts of neat perks like the ability to bring more soldiers on missions, wounds healing at twice the normal rate (really big deal on Marathon), more XP on kills, soldiers always getting critically wounded (KO'd on ground, will die in 3 turns unless revived) instead of killed, more Will on promotions, etc. It only unlocks after your first council mission. The laboratory and workshop are similar--you can only build each once you get a scientist and engineer reward from abduction sites respectively.
B8KQY.jpg
Ha, Gray Market! It's funny because--oh, nevermind.
The Gray Market is where you can sell off un-needed alien bits and pieces. The prices have always struck me as sort of hilarious--$5 for a corpse of a species previously never seen before in nature? I'm imagining XCOM operatives hawking sectoid steak to some redneck on the side of the nearest interstate as a substitute for venison. This is one of the most important screens in the geoscape: XCOM is constantly converting live aliens into corpses, and you only need a few for autopsies. The rest get sold. In the early game, the Gray Market often supplies 2-3X more cash than the funding countries and missions combined, once you tally up the figures. It's essential, and if you forget to sell off everything you don't need, you'll find yourself strapped for cash. There's an art to selling off everything you don't need while not selling *too* much and ending up missing materials for research or construction a month down the line.
And that's the geoscape! As a huge fan of the original, I have to say this is the one part of the game where the new XCOM really disappointed me. No aliens attacking your base. No ability to construct multiple bases, and manage their detection ranges. No multiple Skyrangers. I even miss the micromanagement bits of always having to keep plenty of ammo on hand. There was something very magical about defending your base late in the game with nothing but a few rookies and some pea-shooters, because all of your ace teams were out in the field along with all of your best tech and weaponry. Still, Firaxis does deserve some credit for two things: one, for having a Geoscape at all in this day and age. And two, for making it matter, even in its stripped down form. There is a whole array of risks to be dealt with, and choices to be made. While I wish it were more freeform, the fact remains you *can* fudge up the Geoscape, and it can lose you the game if you don't know how to approach it.
Now, let's get to it!
OPERATION FINAL JUSTICE
st2jn.jpg
Our squad for the day. Some familiar faces, and some new ones.
ZX0b4.jpg
Looking good, Tigranes, looking good. You know, Doc, I've got to hand it to you, I didn't think you could do anything outside of the bedroom, but the revivification process really worked.
gCBPh.jpg
...Other than the seepage around the optical implants.
ZX0b4.jpg
What's a little retinal bleeding among friends? Besides, he's a much better aim than before! What's this mission about, anyway?
tlIWT.jpg
Our interceptors shot down the largest UFO contact we've seen yet. One of our pilots was nearly totalled in the dog fight. Stay frosty--expect heavy resistance.
ZX0b4.jpg
I always expect heavy resistance! Especially in bed. Men, to the Skyranger!
J2M7n.jpg
We land right next to the crashed UFO...
k3dz3.jpg
And step in the shit right off the bat. It's month 2, so Thin Men can start appearing as random enemies. They use heavier weaponry than sectoids, have a little more health, and a trick or two up their sleeves.
13v9D.jpg
We set up an overwatch farm and lure a Thin Man back. Everyone has a go, but that guy's got the aerodynamics for dodging bullets.
M7nvj.jpg
Blitzkitchen's african hunting genes help him land a shot for half its health.
nzzKi.jpg
The days of bunching up are officially over. The Thin Man takes that trick out of its sleeves and spits it on us. This is their special ability: long-range poison spit. Poisoned units take 1 damage every turn for a few turns, and have drastically lowered aim. Not good! In addition to its area of effect (one tile around the target), poison spit never misses.
diqj3.jpg
Rookie does what rookie does best: throw 'nades, 'cause she ain't gonna hit the broad side of a Kraken with actual gunshots.
frtGt.jpg
Varra uses a medikit to cure the poison and heal one of our squadmates. As a support with a few promotions under his belt, Varra can use the medikit 3 times before it's exhausted, so he's still got a few heals left.
ADAPg.jpg
Another gorilla thin man emerges from the mists of time alien craft.
OZl06.jpg
puax3.jpg
Varra pops him like its nothing. This kid's got spirit. There's still one thin man left, though, over by the ledge of that hill...
9fv1y.jpg
So we jog Tigranes over! As an Assault, he has an ability called Run & Gun that he can activate to dash (extra-long movement that normally ends the turn without firing) and fire at the end of his movement. At such close range, he has a guaranteed hit & crit on the thin man. Oops! There's another one we didn't see before, hiding back there. Man, did we just get Tigranes killed again? So much for revivification.
3M80I.jpg
Well, Tigranes still gets a great shot! The Thin Man goes flying. In an attempt to maybe save Tigranes from certain death, I advance our disposable rookie into clear line of sight of the last Thin Man, out in the open. Bait. I'm pretty sure the Thin Man is still going to gun for Tigranes, though, since he's closer and flanked...
gYdWy.jpg
...but we've still got an assault in the person of BlitzKitchen, who uses Run & Gun to get close enough for a decent, flanked shot on the Thin Man before our turn ends. Can his blackness triumph over all odds?
JVU1F.jpg
Majestic! Side-note: those clouds everywhere are from the Thin Men. When they die, they explode into poison clouds in the tiles directly around them that persist for a few turns. Point-blanking them is a delicate thing.
ILwUG.jpg
A quick glance at the battlefield, now covered in festering snake AIDS. You're welcome.
6UpOl.jpg
Time to clear the ship, room by room. We move in.
gCBPh.jpg
To withstand an impact like that, at such a velocity... the materials used in that vessel's hull must be at least an order of magnitude beyond any element we know of.
ZX0b4.jpg
Zzzzz...rrrn...zzz...
gCBPh.jpg
Commander... Commander! Are you sleeping in the Skyranger?!
ZX0b4.jpg
Zzzz--IMPERIAL JUICE! Wh--huh, where am--sleeping? No, of course not! I'm... formulating a strategy. Men, approach the alien craft!
tlIWT.jpg
Uh... Commander, they're already inside the UFO.
ZX0b4.jpg
But I just gave the order. Ha, they work with lightning speed!
6LSMx.jpg
4M5Uu.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Feh! This ship is filled with useless doohickeys. Where's the beautiful women waiting to be rescued? The vile monsters waiting to be vanquished?
soCv6.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Oho! A vile monster. Good shot, Tigranes. I don't care what Vahlen says, that optical implant is worth all the bleeding in the world.
N2yPM.jpg
There's another Thin Man hiding in the room we just moseyed Tigster into. This isn't as dangerous as the situation we got ol' Tigranes into before, though--we've got our whole team ready to rush through that door.
TXF52.jpg
Women.
OETeu.jpg
Whiskey Wolf blows him away. Aromatic snake Febreze fills the air.
GeIUc.jpg
Not done here, yet! We pile up on the doors to the navigation room. There's got to be a pilot, right?
rcmpS.jpg
Nope. We open the doors, and there's nothing. Bastard gave us the slip! But wait, there's a noise coming from this other room...
5dsHZ.jpg
Sure enough, there's the pilot materializing out of thin air.
ZX0b4.jpg
IT'S AN EVIL DEMON! CHARRRRGE!
ZoRgz.jpg
Well, he had his orders from Commander Rance, didn't he?
sxJ0h.jpg
G6pnW.jpg
Nh9vY.jpg
That was a productive mission, when all's said and done. As you can see, soldiers earn nicknames when they reach a certain number of promotions. This has no additional effect--it's just a cute touch. I'd like to take this moment to draw attention to Tigranes' nickname. *salute*
WHazQ.jpg
Ahah! Tigranes gets much more survivable. This is one of the big abilities that Assaults get. Ignoring the first reaction shot on every turn gives them an unrivalled ability to move around the battlefield and generally thumb their nose at the enemy.
gRuHz.jpg
The damage taken debuff from the Shredder Rocket is only occasionally useful--far more awesome is that this rocket uses a separate ammo count from the normal rocket, giving him 2 rocket uses per combat map. With this and later perks, a full team of heavies can really trivialize the early to mid game.
DIt2i.jpg
A summary of the swag we picked up. This displays at the end of every mission. Elerium and alien alloys only come from downed alien UFOs. You can never manufacture them yourself.
OPERATION FINAL JUSTICE ENDS
Here's a glimpse of what's waiting for us next:
oNgtL.jpg

Tada!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So wanna take bets on who will be the first to get impregnated by Chrysalids?
My money says one of the assault guys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom