Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: XCOM + Classic + Iron-Man OR: Reserve Your Corpse's Name!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
z0g49.jpg

An Israeli sniper?!

That's almost as awesome as Ulminati. I'm very pleased. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
An Israeli sniper?!

That's almost as awesome as Ulminati. I'm very pleased. :smug:

I'm just looking forward to archangel armor and in the zone. :3
None o' them wee lil' fairies will be out o' me reach then.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Since the body count is rising , I shall volunteer as well: Felipe Pepe, male, Brazilian, whatever class you got. :salute:

rocket blasts don't seem to like elevation differences, often doing no damage to units on a different elevation from the actaul impact.
Yeah, aiming rockets and handling elevation on this game are a absolute pain, especially when you're near the edge of the map.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Heh, I guess this is the moment where I say dulce et decorum est pro terra mori or something :salute:

On the question of player respawns, I'd let all people who signed up have their rookies first, and start again from the beginning roster once you're out of fresh meat. Any proper X-COM LP requires multiple incarnations of the players :) Also :lol: at the sectoid drawing at the shooting range

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well, i bit the dust rather quickly and without doing any real good during my short tour. Oh well, we can't all be supersoldiers like Bee or Tigranes.
If we're going with the "1-time cloning rule" i would volunteer with my DNA, then i might atleast do some good the second time around. :salute:

And the LP still entertains mate.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Bee is a bloody menace, look at her murder every xeno scum around. :incline:

Also fucking hell the maps get so repetitive. You play through the game once and you recognize nearly every damn one in any LP. Firaxis dropped the ball with console UE3 popamole, no random maps and dumbed down mechanics are honestly this game's main flaws.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, any interesting mod out there? I saw there is a XCOM nexus now, but nothing worth yet... (and suprisingly, no nude mods) :lol:

But it appears there were more countries planned, as you can unlock Colombia, Portugal, Turkey and Venezuela with a mod.

eklektyk

Erudite
Ah, a death. :incline:

and as for Tigranes comment: in old[better] xcom we would se grandsons and grandgrandsons of codexers by now :salute: [such was the body bags flow that many a mortuary made great buck off xcom command alone...]

You could go through old XCOM without losing many people if you were a pro baller--and inversely, lots more people would die in new XCOM if I were playing like the average consumer does. I'm just being a devil's advocate, though. I don't really disagree, and I'm already contemplating an X-COM 1 playthrough once we're done here.
true, u could ... but it requied shitloads of savescumming to survive till nuke tech research and my favorite terror site is 2 stage terror ship from xcom tftd [ so much concentrated rape ... one bad RNG roll and no mater what tech u got u were screwed...so much FUN]

Modron

Arcane
I really miss a farm level... :(

I believe there is a barn stage type of mission in the game; I got a mission in kansas and I distinctly remember being inside a building which had tractors and a cornfield behind it, the cornfield was inaccessible, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the building looked like. Sigh damn late game missions were kind of a blur just because i trudged through them so I could continue research/wait for a battleship.

Zeriel

Arcane

Fuck, yeah. There's something quintessential about the farmyard missions in X-COM 1. Something about the juxtaposition of something so normal and mundane, with a fucking alien just standing amid the cornrows, blank-faced "Sup?" look for all the world to see. Lead designer actually mentioned this in an interview as something they wanted to keep, the weird feeling of terror that arises from something so alien put along every-day environments. There's a video floating around of the proof-of-concept cinematic clip they used to get funding that had X-COM agents investigating a farmhouse, complete with LASER DEATH RAY ROBOT hiding in the barn, but somehow this didn't make it into the actual game.

I believe there is a barn stage type of mission in the game; I got a mission in kansas and I distinctly remember being inside a building which had tractors and a cornfield behind it, the cornfield was inaccessible, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the building looked like. Sigh damn late game missions were kind of a blur just because i trudged through them so I could continue research/wait for a battleship.

That's interesting, haven't seen anything remotely like that. It seems all there is for me is cities and crashed UFOs. I have noticed a few tiny variations this time through--like the Alien Base, which I thought was a static map, had a somewhat different layout for me this time.

Ah, a death. :incline:

and as for Tigranes comment: in old[better] xcom we would se grandsons and grandgrandsons of codexers by now :salute: [such was the body bags flow that many a mortuary made great buck off xcom command alone...]

You could go through old XCOM without losing many people if you were a pro baller--and inversely, lots more people would die in new XCOM if I were playing like the average consumer does. I'm just being a devil's advocate, though. I don't really disagree, and I'm already contemplating an X-COM 1 playthrough once we're done here.
true, u could ... but it requied shitloads of savescumming to survive till nuke tech research and my favorite terror site is 2 stage terror ship from xcom tftd [ so much concentrated rape ... one bad RNG roll and no mater what tech u got u were screwed...so much FUN]

I didn't save-scum, but I did use the tanks frequently to scout for enemies, which I suppose is just substituting one type of death (non-soldier mechanical who doesn't ever get promoted) for another. But yeah, there's tons of stuff I love about X-COM 1 over the new one. The really big randomly generated maps were amazing, especially the first few times before you started to understand they all had fairly predictable patterns of generation.

BTW, any interesting mod out there? I saw there is a XCOM nexus now, but nothing worth yet... (and suprisingly, no nude mods) :lol:

But it appears there were more countries planned, as you can unlock Colombia, Portugal, Turkey and Venezuela with a mod.

The first few mods that appeared were all "BOO HOO, GAME IS TOO HARD, LET'S MOD IT SO I CAN BEAT THE GAME TRIVIALLY WHILE PRETENDING I'M PLAYING ON CLASSIC", so that kind of drove me away from the modding scene. I haven't really bothered to see if things have improved. To be fair, there's probably all sorts of cool details to be found in random mods, I'm just of the opinion that games like this really should be experienced as the developer intended them.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at something that jacked up the strength of enemies late-game, though, that's one of the bigger flaws Firaxis left in.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wow, some weird shit must have gone down, that level isn't that hard, except for some suprise rape insects near the end...

Modron

Arcane
Wow, some weird shit must have gone down, that level isn't that hard, except for some suprise rape insects near the end...

I think it varies more than you know, I only got surprise rape insects at first hallways so not too dangerous there, mutons in middle with floaters and a drone, and disc at end before the 2 sectoid commanders. Lots of half-cover in the second to last area though so he may have been screwed over by mutons having a good chance to hit or floaters getting flanking criticals due to his second wave choice.

Zeriel

Arcane

It wasn't the alien base. There's some sweet, sweet irony about to unfold in this tale, but for now I'll just leave it at that.

What's in the alien base varies massively based on when you go there. If you go there late-game (like I did on my first winning Classic/Iron-Man game) there will be sectopods and muton elites out the ass. If you go there early/mid, it is fairly easy if not trivial (the case in this game).

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
So what's the troop count after that? I'm assuming some of the survivors are still back at base healing from wounds? Haven't seen the black sheriff or Ulminati's dude for a while.

Zeriel

Arcane
So what's the troop count after that? I'm assuming some of the survivors are still back at base healing from wounds? Haven't seen the black sheriff or Ulminati's dude for a while.

There were dark days after that where we questioned whether we'd survive the alien invasion, when entire armies of rookies vanished into lakes of plasma. Black Sheriff actually has distinguished himself as the only member of the original team who has yet to die once. We'll see more of both of them soon enough.

Working on putting the next update together. It's a bit of a doozy. This seems like a good time to explain that the way the LP is structured is going to change a bit. Since the missions tend to repetitive (this is a game about gameplay, not narrative), I'm going to start skipping content that isn't "new". In other words, we'll see important missions, every big spaceship variant, and of course the Final Event, but there's going to be less of Random Storefront Filled With Thin Men, since we've already seen plenty of that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
And here I was thinking that character named after a person who LPed Wizardries and deathly blobbers, and someone who have to deal with romances at Obsidian forums, those would actually never die o_O

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Ordered the game two days ago and got it today. Failed miserably in my first campaign on Classic, but atleast i stuck with it a bit.. but now im just gonna restart the whole thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom