Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's purge the Xeno in Xenonauts (Ultimate doom expansion set for terra)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Is this gayme liek XCOM:Enemy Unknown?

A lot. It's aiming to be and for th emost it succeeds.
Notable differences (as mentioned elsewhere) are:
- Suppression mechanic
- Shotguns, Combat Shields, Flashbangs, Stun gas grenades, EMP Grenades
- More weapon upgrade tiers (Ballistic, Alien, Laser, Plasma, MAG)
- More detailed air combat (unless you autoresolve)
- Geoscape combat plays a bigger role (lots more alien UFOs)
- Only one ammo type per weapon (no HE/Incendiray ammo). Rocket launcers do get multiple types of rocket.
- No blaster launcher or psionics for humans.
- More types of aircraft
- More types of armor
- Slightly fewer alien types
- Less inventory management. You have infinite ammo at base (loadout weight is the limiting factor)
- Can predefine loadouts for troops, rearrange starting positions inside dropship
- Soldiers are hired from a list of candidates with their stats known
- AI doesn't quite have the same fetish for entering buildings as in old XCOM
- UFOs are less destructible, but look nicer
- Maps are not 100% randomly generated. Instead, it has a template it fills with features from a list. for instance, a 10x10 farm building may change in 2 versions of the map as different layouts are picked, but it'll be in the same position.
- Game comes with a map editor, both for the features to pick from and the templaces the features are placed on. So that should fix the thing above.
- Much more modding friendly than the old XCOM games. There are several mods on th eofficial forums, bt most of them are on hiatus until v 1.0 at the end of may.

So if all those people are dead? Is it my turn to get a mouth full of plasma?

Soon™. The dreadnaught is going to take up some space in the dropship. I pick recruits in the order they signed up, so you may have to wait for 1-2 deaths more before you get your shot at meeting Glory head-on.

Or you can hope more people sign up for the other Xenonauts Let's Play, so you can die at the hands of an incompetent Brit.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The rocketeer nigger was the only one to emerge unscathed from that last mission? Surely, that kind of luck will bite my ass soon..
You're no longer a rocketeer though. You're a sniperbro turned assaultbro with alien plasma weapons during the last heroic charge :salute:

I'll probably promote the Shieldmaidens to riflebros soon. Let the new meat carry the shields until they prove themselves.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This might seem like a damn fool question, but where're the melee weapons at? Or are there none?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
BONUS MINI UPDATE

With everyone back at base, we perform our various maintenence duties.
4XJrStD.jpg

Inventory is looking good. We have plenty of alien alloys, which we'll need in the fabrication of armour and lasers.
6DRf2WL.png

Hopefully no one dies anytime soon. The list of available recruits is pretty dismal. I would prefer all fresh meat to have at least 50+ Strength and Accuracy.
29Wde8t.jpg

Soldier overview time:

Commander CIS Sis remains our kill leader. She brings great honour to the legacy of the Shotgun Murderswede. She is pretty much a legend by now. Always near the front, always rushing into close combat while plasma is flying, bringing swift death to the enemies of humanity. :salute:
bKjuJy6.jpg

Commander Stabby is our second in command. He's been a solid performer in every single mission he's participated in. At 19 kills, he's also only one kill short of receiving the prestigious Order of Terra. :salute:
9Lky3Gx.jpg

After a forgettable stint as rocket guy, Azira found his true calling as a sniper cybernegro. While he hasn't gained the coveted 5 kills/mission milestone yet, he reliably harvest 2-3 skulls every mission. And unlike his dismal predecessor, none of his shot land in his allies back.
gWm57L8.jpg

Eklektyk has put in a solid performance as shieldmaiden. I am tempted to promote him to riflebro and risk recruits on the front lines in his stead. But the 48 accuracy gives me pause. Work harder on the shooting range, Eklektyk!
ziCEQKn.jpg

Comte is still under performing. While I applaud his 'roiding out and growing inhumanly strong, his grenades still have a distressing tendency to miss their mark.
EPptPDE.jpg

ERYFKRAD is a whiny little bitch, who constantly demands melee weapons. In my infinite wisdom, I've granted his wish. From now on, he goes into battle armed only with a baton. Let's see how long he lasts.
:troll:
k90Idjl.jpg

Scrooge has been... Reliable. She has not given any amazing performances during any of her missions, but neither has she brought great shame and disappointment. Her strength is still lower than I would have liked. Her accuracy, however, is getting really good. I am tempted to make her secondary sniper once we have time to fabricate another precision laser. What do you think Scrooge?
EOMVgbZ.jpg

Hellraiser is the new meat. The only recruit to survive the baptism of fire. She proved instrumental during the fighting in the UFO cargo hold. Without the suppression from her Scatter Laser, we would likely have lost several soldiers.
GOkgWwT.jpg

There is some room on the drop ship yet. But it's being held in reserve until we find out how much the tank we're building weighs.

In the air, the Aliens are keeping us busy. Many medium UFOs provide a target-rich environment for our interceptors. I forego the crash sites while the injured xenonauts are recovering from their wounds. At the moment, we do not need alenium or alloys. Airstrikes provide a steady income.

The first Large UFO is spotted northeast of Iceland!
QOAyHEn.jpg

I impatiently check on the status of our interceptors. Still rearming after shooting down a landing ship...
MvKZlxt.png

The UFO Vanishes as we are en route. The interceptors are ordered to go to last known location of the vessel.
iGY3TOa.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:what:
KE3Icxv.jpg

Shit just got real.

So... Do we charge it like bloody savages, or do we wait until I can fabricate armor and weapons for the recruits who will be taking up the empty slots in the dropship?

The_scorpion

Liturgist
armour for the new recruits (incidentially i volunteered like a redneck father of five in Iraq war in my previous posting)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
incidentially i volunteered

Yeah. I added you to the roster on page 1. New recruits start at the bottom of the pile. :M

The Steve Irwin seats a maximum of 12. Even if we forego the tactical dreadnaught armour that's being built for one of our battle brothers too injured to fight on, that only leaves 4 slots open. So the recruits who will join us for the rapey fun times are: Tzaero and Kipeci. Possibly CaptainAwesome and Tytus as well. Giving them armour is not going to hasten your enrollment into our glorious band of bros. ;)

stabby

Learned
Though I have already brought great shame to my Redshirt ancestors by not dying in a horrifically stupid manner on my first outing, and further disgraced them by rising the ranks to (gasp!) a position of command, I most certainly will not lie around waiting for my boo-boos to heal when there is a perfectly good mission to die on.

:rpgcodex:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I should stap a suicide vest of C4 to you and have you charge the command chamber in the alien base?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Since the Alien base raid is relevant to our interests, I'll be streaming it live. The battle commences tonight at 8:30 PM, Central European Time. I'll post a notice in this thread roughly an hour before.

For the Emperor and Holy Terra! :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom