Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Romance the Three Kingdoms!

Predict: Of the three strongest kingdom, which will crumble first?

• Cao Cao of the Central Plains

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sun Ce the Little Conqueror

• Yuan Shao of the North

• Total voters

Yeesh

Magister
Whenever I read Ma Teng, I think of a chinese version of this:

295qoo7.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Chapter 4: The doors are open
Music: Courage

1.jpg

Sun Ce's influence grows. He's becoming more noted in the Emperor's eyes. Troop command cap increases further.

Our objective is Sun Ce's city to the south. They lack Spears to counter our cavalry. We need to attack before they could rectify this problem.
2.jpg

World update:
3.jpg

Cao Cao licks his wounds by consolidating his grip on the west. Yuan Shao is wreaking havoc in the central plains and protects his minor ally, Liu Bei, from Sun Ce's wrath. We will profit from lesser pressure on our front, hopefully.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Sometimes, an officer can be pro-active and seek out recruits themselves. I'm having my hands full with feeding gold to keep loyalty, so recruitment is frozen at the moment. But quality men is always wanted.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Warriors settle these with duels, while scholars debate.

15.jpg

Both warriors will clash at the centre before sparring side by side. If the WAR rating of one warrior is MUCH higher than the other, Something like 90 vs 60, there's a chance for an instant kill in a real duel. If you read the books, there's plenty of lesser officers meeting their end this way. It's the easiest ticket to glory if you win, however.

16.jpg

It's real time, so picking stances needs to be done quickly. Attack strikes continuously with a chance to trigger a special. Defense will allow lesser officer to buy time. Why do we want to buy time for? Well, remember that each unit can have up to 2 deputies. You can tag out if your health gets too low. Spirit charges your green meter quicker to give you special attacks. Fury is a wild card.

Charge your green bar with receiving attacks. When it's full the bottom left Special will light up.
19.jpg

Use it to perform a hard hitting move. There's plenty of variety, depending on artifacts that you carry. I picked Mortal Blow, it has a chance to injure.

20.jpg

Defeated heroes fall off their horses, they may be captured and lose the whole unit. If he can evade capture upon loss, half of his unit will desert him and lose considerable willpower.
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Zhang Yan is heavy on Cavalry. His special skill improves Cavalry mobility. We'll put him on the front line from now on!

With the larger pool of officers we can now start deputizing our army units. This can be used to cover weaknesses and grant more skills to the unit.
25.jpg

Zhang Xiu is a decent general, but his INT is 59. By deputizing Yi Ji, we boost the unit INT by 80, preventing him from falling easily to enemy's confusing strategies. Hu Che Er, his sworn brother boosted attack power of the unit considerably from mid 70s to 86. The highest unit aptitude is taken into account when building a force with deputy. Zhang Xiu has S rating on cavalry, so that's the taken aptitude.

The S Rating give access to all 3 unit tactics:
Onslaught - Pushes enemy unit 1 square away, with you following.
Breach - Break through enemy unit, appearing behind them after the attack.
Charge - Pushes the unit 2 square away, with you following.

These tactics has a chance to wound and enemy officer, and might kill them. All cavalry tactics also has a chance to initiate duels between officers.

26.jpg

Zhang Yan, Huang Zhong will take 2 additional cavalry units. 2 Flame Towers are deployed with Gan Ning and Liu Pan.

27.jpg

Aside from being a good city razer, the tower is also effective at burning down enemy troops just like archer units would.

28.jpg

Stat upgrades are automatically given for performing related tasks ala Jagged Alliance 2.
29.jpg

30.jpg

Gan Ning's flame tower unit has taken heavy casualty and must be reinforced. We sent a small convoy from our city bringing additional troops and food supply.

31.jpg

Siege units only require troops to reinforce. If you want to reinforce cavalry, you need to bring horses along as well. Supply chains are crucial when waging a longer campaign.

Another Sun Ce's officer captured.
32.jpg

He won't bend easily.
33.jpg

Just when I thought things are going swimmingly well, this happened.
35.jpg

:x

DEATH TO TRAITORS!
36.jpg

37.jpg

Your uncle served me, HOW COULD YOU?! He is executed on the spot.

38.jpg

We lost a whole flame tower to that idiot. Sigh.

39.jpg

We successfully claimed another city to our domain.
40.jpg

We'll hold on to it. Development should be rapid with intellectuals on our side. Sun Ce is our main target for now.

RK47

Patron
Making peace cost a lot of gold tributes, I don't see why I have to pay him off.

I don't want to stretch myself too thin. I'm toying with the idea of snatching the Emperor from Cao Cao's grasp, actually.

Felix

Arcane
That book is very popular here in Vietnam, I don't like it much because it make Shu looks better than they actually are, also Kong Ming is fucking overrated.

RK47

Patron
Felix said:
That book is very popular here in Vietnam, I don't like it much because it make Shu looks better than they actually are, also Kong Ming is fucking overrated.

This is very true actually. My uncle who introduced me to this literature told me don't get caught up by the biased author. It's an interpretation of history.

I was pleasantly surprised when the 'man hua' version was less of a fan wank and less heroic. "The Ravages of Time" is pretty good read. Epic Lu Bu arc and all that.

English, Legally? It was out in 2008. Try ebay?

Demo available here

anus_pounder

Arcane
Felix said:

I'm a fan of Wei all the way. Or rather, Wei under Cao Cao. I had a brief affair with Shu at one point though. Probably the only faction I never really liked was Wu. Nothing to do with them historically, everything to do with how annoying their fans are.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Are this good place for post incestuous Sun family hentai?

I actually never met any Wu fans, plenty of older Shu lovers I know of though, influenced by the novel.

I've noticed the younger generation seems to like Cao Cao more.

anus_pounder

Arcane
treave said:
Are this good place for post incestuous Sun family hentai?

I actually never met any Wu fans, plenty of older Shu lovers I know of though, influenced by the novel.

I've noticed the younger generation seems to like Cao Cao more.

Seeing as I'm one of them, I'm inclined to agree.

Welll, from my experience, Wu fanboys are seriously butthurt with the Shu bias in the novel. I suppose Wei fans don't care too much since they technically won (well, Jin did....). But yeah. One topic about how historically awesome a shu person was will usually spawn several wu posts about how much more awesome their officers are.

RK47

Patron
Well...there's plenty of trans gender Three Kingdoms fanwork out there, trust me. And none of them are that great. Japanese in general got hard-on over Guan Yu, and cannot resist turning her female to fuck over...I still remember the nightmares I got from watching Ikkitousen where they portrayed Kong Ming as a 10 year old girl and Cao Cao's the only male dude among the big three.

Also: Big fan of Lu Bu here.

Pegultagol

Erudite
This LP is really neat, no pretty great, but what prevented from you creating your own character with kodex who's who of characters? Is this with the Power Up Kit? I cannot for the life of me seem to find it anywhere. I think in your game, Ma Teng could help you somewhat since I recall in the book he was a blood brother of Zang Xiu.

I recall reading the books until the death of Zhuge Liang, as after that was the slow downfall of Shu upon which the author has bestowed the protagonist's role of good, hence it read like some drawn out elegy. Really, there are so many segments in the books that are the literary equivalent of 'popamole', it isn't even funny.

The game does somewhat reflect the bias for Shu in the books, but I remember in IV or V that people like Zhuge Liang can literally rain down thunder and lightning to pulverize anyone in their way. And despite the historical mode, many of the events are governed by conditional scripts, so aside from defining the relationship between generals, you may miss much of the flavor that makes the books unique. Among the characters, I think I liked one of Lu Bu's officers more, Zhang Liou? the one who served Cao Cao with distinction later. With those two, they are really unstoppable in the game.

P.S. For anyone interested, this game is available on Direct2Drive for around $20.00 USD. I recommend it, but with Power Up Kit the game could be a lot better (at least difficulty wise).

RK47

Patron
Chapter 5 : No Friends, Only Enemies

Note: I don't want to include Codex Chars because I really don't know how to balance their skills and abilities. The Codex is too imbalanced for China. And no Power Up Kit for English Version, unfortunately. That's why I resort to picking small force to start.

Song: Dominance

Another fine addition to our cause.
1.jpg

Xu Sheng is S rated Naval Officer. This will prove important in keeping enemies off our waters. Most of the northern officers do not have good naval command, so it's always great to convert Sun Ce's men.

We also have loads of Tech. Points to burn on research.
2.jpg

3.jpg

Veteran troops increase Max Willpower of troops unit by 20.
Reinforced Axles improve our siege equipment movement.

With our much improved roster, recruitment,training and horse breeding takes less time. We've assembled our army and ready to move on towards Sun Ce's territory just southwest, across the river.

4.jpg

Right as we left for the port across the river, Liu Zhang makes his move by deploying two units. 7000 by boat, and 8000 archers by land. Coincidence?

5.jpg

6.jpg

We unleash Gan Ning and Xu Sheng, our superb Navy Officers to deal with the naval threat.

7.jpg

Unlike land units, navies can sail without having to build ships. However, stronger ships are available for constructions and provide improved attack power. A & S rated naval officers pack a decent punch with their Incinerate tactics, killing AND burning at the same time. From RANGE. :smug:

8.jpg

Sun Ce reacts by marching his army to retake the docks of Gong An. Taishi Ci, a Divine Pike General leads the charge with 9000 pikemen. He will be our main threat. Another 5000 spearmen marches behind to tackle our 29,000 strong invasion force recently transported into the docks.

Meanwhile, Liu Zhang land forces could not fire off a single shot before getting confused by a much smaller force and incinerated by two naval units from the river.
10.jpg

I refer to such usage of Confusion as Think-Tanks. Instead of attacking directly, these units are led by High INT officer capable of unleashing Strategies. Pulling off a Perturb pays off well, because the opponent's unit is confused and unable to move nor attack. Other type of strategy includes Misinform to force them to retreat, and Blunder to force them to attack a friendly adjacent unit. Fire is also a strategy. Units staying in a burning tile risks losing more troops and injuring its commanding officer, which may lead to death. And I missed the screen-capture of Yan Yan dying. Yes, Liu Zhang's officer died in the flames. :smug:

Jia Xu is personally leading the Think-Tank efforts against Taishi Ci's massive stack of pikemen. Pikemen has the highest defense, but vulnerable to cavalry. They're the perfect counter to spears, and with research has 30% chance to deflect arrows.
11.jpg

With the main threat neutralized, the rest of the invasion can proceed as planned. With the cavalry charging enemies off the road for the siege towers to rain death on the city.
13.jpg

Terrain does matter. You cannot use Cavalry tactics against units on the Forest / Swamps. Archers cannot fire at Forest tiles, etc. So combined arms can be useful to force enemies to move to certain tiles you wish. Example: Cavalry unit in the forest lies in ambush can be hard to counter, but if you use Thrust Spear strategy, you can push him towards the open so the Archers can rain death on them.

Just a little bit more push...
15.jpg

Uh oh. Sun Ce sends another invasion force from the east. It'll take some time before they'll reach our territory but we better get our defenses ready.
16.jpg

Meanwhile, Taishi Ci cannot escape destruction even in the river.
17.jpg

Even more good news.
18.jpg

This is a reminder that the threat of Cao Cao is always present. He's got the central china coasts just neighboring our northern territory. It's not safe. We need to secure an alliance with Yuan Shao somehow and leave the fighting to him while we deal with Sun Ce.

Current map situation confirms that Cao Cao is consolidating his dominion in the western region. He's about to absorb Ma Teng's last city and possibly strike back in other fronts. Possibly, me, Liu Zhang or Yuan Shao.

19.jpg

The big three force report has a surprising result:
20.jpg

Wow. How the hell did that happen? Yuan Shao really lost a lot of men! I'm starting to think it's not going to be Cao Cao who dies first....it's might be Yuan Shao if we don't do something about it!

RK47

Patron
Chapter 6 : The enemies of my enemies

Song : Majesty

1.jpg

2.jpg

smile.jpg

3.jpg

Finally, I'm getting paid to not attack! 4 months isn't much of a time. That's about 12 turns. But free money is always welcome. You cannot break ceasefires in this game. But Alliances can be broken any time.

4.jpg

5.jpg

With this, we can focus on crushing Sun Ce's domination of the south. Also three cities are too much to manage on my own. I set one city on automated production.

6.jpg

Their job is just to produce troops and breed horses, as well as periodically transport gold and food to us.

7.jpg

Also, Cao Cao wants his relative back.
8.jpg

9.jpg

More gold :smug:

And we return to fighting off Sun Ce's attack. We let them advance to our city outskirts before engaging, taking the time to drill troops and save up on food. Then rush out as they set up their forces. Using two think tanks we paralyzed two-thirds of their forces.

10.jpg

Jia Xu takes another step towards perfection.

And our ground forces are victorious once more.
11.jpg

The battle of central plains is heating up. There's a 3 way struggle for the city of Chen Liu, currently held by Yuan Shao. Cao Cao attacks from the west, while Sun Ce marched from the south. This is probably why the Yellow March is halted. There will no more easy gains to be made.
12.jpg

It's time to make my move. Sun Ce's attacks has always originated from this dock. I'm starting up an elite naval defense force.

First, we supply it with additional soldiers and food.
13.jpg

Then we assigned our finest water generals to stand by at the dock and drill the men.
14.jpg

Heavier ships are manufactured in the city itself. These ships take less damage and move faster than regular boats. This force will also be able to intercept Cao Cao's navy should he attempts attacking us from the north. Because our 4 months agreement has lapsed.Time moves quickly.
15.jpg

We are prepared for Sun Ce's next naval invasion. This time he's sending around 30,000 by the river.
16.jpg

Spearhead of the invasion seems to be this unit. A 10,000 unit strong blessed with a skilled naval commander and hyper-intelligent deputy. Our think-tanks cannot pierce and intelligence of that magnitude. Zhao Yun is also another one that cannot be affected by Think Tanks. His special skill rendered him IMMUNE to all strategies.
17.jpg

So, we're going to have to do this the hard way. We'll burn 2,000 Tech. Points on Adept March. This Tier 2 research is not very useful, it allows shortcuts routes to be unlocked, and dangerous terrains no longer causes our units to suffer casualties.
18.jpg

It's a stepping stone to Tier 3 Military Reform, which increases all officers max troop cap by 3,000!

Baywatchers Assemble!
19.jpg

Gan Ning will take the lead, I'm attaching Jia Xu as anti-strategy protection.

20.jpg

He Qi will be deputized by Kuai Liang.

Xu Sheng launches without a deputy. I forgot to take a screen cap. They command 7,000 soldiers each.

I left a few thousand men behind on the dock to act as a damage absorber. A city / stronghold is lost if the troop count / structure is reduced to zero. We focus fired Han Dang's unit.
21.jpg

He's down to 3,000 men in two turns of concentrated fire.

The battle gets heated up after Han Dang's unit is eliminated, we captured him, but missed out on his deputy. By then, the dock has suffered severe damage.
22.jpg

We're pulling everything asset out of that dock to avoid losing much. Zhang Yan is summoned with Liu Qi as his deputy. Zhang Yan is terrible naval commander, but Liu Qi's naval aptitude can cover for that weakness. Deputy mechanics at work.
23.jpg

As expected, the dock fell.
24.jpg

And Sun Ce's forces foolishly occupied it, you know what this means?
25.jpg

Yep, we blew it up with a volley from our four ships.

26.jpg

Mop up time.
27.jpg

I scrolled over to the east to see if there's any more incoming troops and saw a wonderful scene.
smile.jpg

28.jpg

That's right folks, Cao Cao's moving south to attack Sun Ce's weakened outpost! Three way battle is a bitch, ain't it?

I think we just raped Sun Ce's troop count with that naval victory. I counted 30,000 kills minimum and less than 3000 casualties on our side.
29.jpg

Glad we're finally playing a significant part in this war.
30.jpg

But is Sun Ce falling really what we want? From the troop count table, we can see that Cao Cao is leading at 350,000. I think we need to keep his power in check. We have no official alliances nor cease fire active. And our relations with Cao Cao is still at Hostile. Plenty of targets. Next update is going to be fun!

anus_pounder

Arcane
This is isn't the first Codex Rot3K effort AFAIK. I remember someone posted a link to his Nanman conquest wayyyy back. He even threw in bits of dialogue and story. As I remember, he ended up conquering china with the Nanman forces and one of Guan Yu's sons as his ruler.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Wow, impressive, but I've absolutely no idea about what's really going on.

I mean, sure, I can somewhat understand the gameplay mechanics and your reasoning, but all those Chinese guys, cities and empires... they are all simply too exotic :lol:

ironyuri

Cenobyte said:
Wow, impressive, but I've absolutely no idea about what's really going on.

I mean, sure, I can somewhat understand the gameplay mechanics and your reasoning, but all those Chinese guys, cities and empires... they are all simply too exotic :lol:

I snorted when I read this. Cenobyte, I salute you!

:salute: :salute: :lol: :salute: :salute:

Pegultagol

Erudite
Impressive victory against Sun Ce, I guess the AI does not care about the surrounding threat level as long as they have what it takes to achieve the primary objective, i.e. capture the port.

Would it be better to capture the remaining empty cities and grow your base?

RK47

Patron
smile.jpg

We will capture additional cities and attack at the same time.

Chapter 7 : The north cannot swim

Music : Strategy

Sensing the invincibility of our naval power, we decide to claim an additional empty city to the south.
1.jpg

Several intellects will be placed there to develop the lands rapidly.

Gan Ning and Xu Sheng will lead a naval harassment operation upriver against Cao Cao's borders. We will continue to cut down their bordering troop count as a preventive measure until they offer a cease-fire.
2.jpg

Meanwhile, down south, Cao Cao invasion is not going well. Sun Ce's officers are more talented and held the defensive advantage.
3.jpg

We don't want Cao Cao to win either, but I don't see any harm in blowing up some of Sun Ce's facility on the river shores. He Qi and Cai Mao is mobilized to harass Sun Ce's cities and assist them if Cao Cao gets too close to the city.
5.jpg

Our exploits did not go unnoticed by the Emperor, who saw fit to confer us additional title. :smug:
6.jpg

Gan Ning's task force has accomplished his mission of subduing Cao Cao's troop count in one city. We'll have him resupply before heading further upriver to harass another city.
7.jpg

Sun Ce has to deal with a second wave of Cao Cao attack. We eased back on the naval pressure to let them deal with the threat.
8.jpg

Gan Ning commences culling Cao Cao's troop count in Shang Yong.
9.jpg

While our expansion secures another city far across the river to the south. Our naval supremacy will ensure its safety from Sun Ce.
10.jpg

The men of the north really can't swim. And we're decimating thousands per turn. Lots of tech. points harvested!
11.jpg

The situation elsewhere in China is heating up. In the eastern china seas, Liu Bei fends off Sun Ce's naval invasion.
12.jpg

And defends from a land attack at the same time from the west.
13.jpg

Cao Cao is growing stronger.
14.jpg

He has moved onto Liu Zhang's territory to the southwest. It is possible that he is content with holding the central while expanding on the less dangerous Liu Zhang's domain.
15.jpg

We're the 4th strongest force now. :smug: Won't be long before we overtake Sun Ce.
16.jpg

Current world map.
17.jpg

There's still another free city to secure down south. But we do not have enough officers to develop it. So we'll take it slow and easy as I plan our next grand military campaign. It won't be against Sun, however.

smile.jpg

Pegultagol

Erudite
:salute:

One of Liu Zhang's cities just Northwest of your border seems like a good place as a chokepoint of sorts.

Just imagine the officers whoever defeats Liu Bei will be able to recruit!

RK47

Patron
Chapter 8 : Always watch your back

Music: Autumn Harvest

We must not weaken Sun Ce too much, or else Cao Cao and Yuan Shao will capitalize. Sun Ce is doing a good job pushing north and keeping Yuan Shao focused on helping his ally, Liu Bei. Also, since his western front is weaker than mine, Cao Cao decided to go for him instead. So the plan now is to keep Cao Cao in check by cutting off one possible land route to Sun Ce's domain.
2.jpg

A force of 38,500 will cross the river and secure the dock of Hu Yang before assaulting the city of Xin Ye itself. Its garrison depleted by our repeated naval raids, they cannot muster much of a reply.

However, another silly complication arises from the west. One that we do not wish to occur. Liu Zhang attempts another invasion while our best generals are in another front. He's sending a 30,000 strong attack force. We will dispatch the middle rank officers to form a defence force.
6.jpg

Little did he know, weakening himself is only going to make it easy for Cao Cao to devour him from the north.

Xu Sheng and Gan Ning deploys from the dock to defend the newly captured docks from Cao Cao's forces.
4.jpg

Our numerous victories grant us a massive technique points boost. Finally, we can commence research on Military Reform!
5.jpg

Gan Ning and Huang Zhong deploys as siege tower commanders while Zhang Xiu and Hu Che Er mop up any loose infantry with Cavalry units.
7.jpg

Zhang Yan leads the defense force against Liu Zhang. In order to make up for the lack of star officers, we're going to build defensive structures with gold backed with two units of 5,000 archers each.
8.jpg

Archer Towers will attack any units within 2 tiles of it.

Drum Platform will double the attack power of any friendly units within 2 tiles.
9.jpg

Cao Cao's city fell easily.
10.jpg

We captured one of Cao's relative and executed him on the spot.
11.jpg

Our defense did not go so well, the enemy think-tanks paralyzed two of our archer units consistently, leaving Zhang Yan isolated, taking heavy damage. I quickly dispatched Xu Sheng and Wen Pin to assist with 7,000 cavalry and 6,000 spearmen, respectively.
12.jpg

They turned the the tables with a good use of strategy themselves. Spearmen has a rush tactic that confuses enemies and the double attack boost from drums pays off excellently.
13.jpg

In the midst of all this, we secured another free city to the south. Expanding our domain further.
14.jpg

16.jpg

It's about time.

I ordered the southern navy to pull back out of Sun Ce's territory, leaving the city structure in ruins.
17.jpg

The forest east of Xin Ye is heavily fortified by Cao Cao. We will need more than this to take the Emperor's province.
18.jpg

We retreated to Xin Ye to gather our strength as soldiers and supplies are transported from our colonies.

After a much heated battle, Liu Zhang attack forces are completely destroyed.
19.jpg

More bad news for Liu Zhang await at their homefront, they lost another city to Cao Cao. Idiot.

More Tech. Points means more research, this time we're upgrading our Engineers to repair our structures faster.
21.jpg

Another promotion awaits. :smug:
22.jpg

Looks like Yuan Shao recovered from his earlier losses.
23.jpg

The Emperor is just one province away from us. Cao Cao is about to absorb Ma Teng. Yuan Shao continues to nurture Liu Bei, his ally. Sun Ce can't expand anymore.
24.jpg

We need to weaken Cao Cao as much as we can, but mindful of any advances on our territory. He has opened another western front against us by taking Liu Zhang's city. I'm so fucking jealous of his talent pool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom