Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Romance the Three Kingdoms!

Predict: Of the three strongest kingdom, which will crumble first?

• Cao Cao of the Central Plains

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sun Ce the Little Conqueror

• Yuan Shao of the North

• Total voters

Pegultagol

Erudite
:salute:

Incidentally, Ma Su has a 'reckless' character, so I guess it befits his actions of disregarding other's suggestions. Also I agree that he is a support character, and quite useless with him alone. One other reason I can think of is that Shu in the late games really struggle due to lack of talented officers it seems, so the developers probably thought to give him better ratings for some balance in gameplay. Honestly, if it were me, I would have given one of Zhuge's sons better ratings.

Let's get this to another page!

bandaid

Educated
7.jpg

Typical Space Hulk Alien Assault formation.

:smug:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If you're playing as Liu Biao, you can focus on defending your river, forgoing any land war, except for western borders of Liu Zhang.

Chapter 17 : Cao Cao's empire crumbles

Music : RTK VII - Track 6

Our initial charge created a small drama.
2.jpg

Cavalry tactics have a small chance to trigger a forced duel. If the defending force is lead by a weak scholar. Things can get quite ugly.

3.jpg

This guy is about to get owned.

Wears a robe and a funny hat. Yep, dead man.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Andddddd.....

7.jpg

It's over.

9.jpg

He was leading 6,000 men. Because he's the only officer lead, the unit disbands. All because of a duel loss. :smug:

10.jpg

100 politics? Wow.

We deploy another newly recruited officer and attached him to Xu Sheng's cavalry. His unique skill capture officers upon destroying their unit.
11.jpg

I split half my force. Pang Tong and Huang Zhong will wait for Xu Sheng before heading to Chang An. The rest will take Luo Yang.
12.jpg

Our lord's charge destroyed a unit and captured Cao Cao's heir. We execute him on the spot.
13.jpg

Meanwhile, Pang Tong is having too much fun.
15.jpg

The enemies can't even leave their gates to fight.
16.jpg

In Han Zhong, Gan Ning blitzed northwards to secure Cao Cao's weak colonies to the north with a force of 26,000 cavalry and 5,000 men manning the catapult.
17.jpg

Xu Huang remains steadfast and cool under fire.
19.jpg

Notice his portrait changed to reflect him growing older.

We do a mid-combat resupply to keep our troops well-fed and units reinforced.
21.jpg

With Xu Sheng and Sima Yi's catapult support, Pang Tong starts a BBQ at Chang An. His Chain Reaction skill triggers two tiles of fire upon activation and it only costs 2 willpower from Xun You's focus.
22.jpg

Gan Ning's blitz is completed.
23.jpg

Our western borders reports a force of 24,000 approach, it's Cao Cao mounting an attack. We dispatched a bunch of second rate officers to mount a makeshift defence force. The towers and drums on the perimeters will buy some time.
24.jpg

26.jpg

Zhang Xiu succeeded in capturing Luo Yang.
25.jpg

We leave the final strike at Chang An to Xu Sheng.
27.jpg

28.jpg

Why? Because of the Capture skill from his deputy! We captured over a dozen officers! But no sign of Cao Cao!
29.jpg

We imprisoned everyone except for the Caos and Xiahou.

Off with their heads. :salute:
30.jpg

With three cities secured, the northern territories are ripe for picking. Once the northern areas are taken, we'll blitz southwards from Han Zhong.

32.jpg

Sun Ce rebuilds his army, he is poised to assault Yuan Tan and Liu Bei once more.

33.jpg

If Sun Ce gets too powerful, we may have to let the ceasefire expire and trim their forces. I really don't want him to absorb Liu Bei. We do have waterway access through Luo Yang to mount a strike at Liu Bei's small eastern territory. But I'm not sure if I can hold on to it.

RK47

Patron
Officers Highlight Special

The pen is mightier...

As the rosters of intellectuals grow, the deployment of strategies increase on the battlefield, and brute force is no longer required when dealing with even numbers. With good application of strategies like Perturb, Misinformation, Fire and Blunders you can easily turn the tide with less troops.

Zhuge Liang strategies' hardly fails with 100 INT.
Pang Tong Chain Reaction causes adjacent unit to get afflicted with the same strategy.
Sima Yi's strategy effects are more powerful.
Jia Xu's special works differently, when a strategy failed to affect him, he will throw it back against the user.

35.jpg

Backgrounds for pics left to right.
Zhuge Liang
Nicknamed - Sleeping Dragon, he does not need introduction, probably the most iconic RTK figure out there. Chinese Crossbows called Chu-Ko-Nus are attriibuted to him. Responsible for several successes of Liu Bei's campaign. Without him, Liu Bei would never be as successful as he was. Alas, no amount of military genius could overcome logistical issues and lack of support on the home front when campaigning against Cao's empire. Zhuge Liang passed away during one of his expeditions, most of his plans thwarted by Cao's equally-brilliant Sima Yi.

Pang Tong
Nicknamed - Fledgling Phoenix, Pang Tong was originally under the service of Sun. During the infamous battle of Red Cliff he offered a fake advise to Cao Cao to chain his boats together to avoid sea-sickness. This leads to a disaster during the battle, when Sun Army employed fire which spread easily from ship to ship. Thus, his Chain Reaction skill was based on that legend.

In the novel, when Zhou Yu passed away, Pang Tong was recommended as his replacement. However, Sun Quan, dislike his appearance and sent him away (It was implied that Pang Tong is a really ugly fella). Liu Bei picked him up and profited from his advice to invade Liu Zhang. However, he was struck down by an arrow during the battle.

Sima Yi
A brilliant mind that joins Cao Cao much later than the rest, Sima Yi is the Cao's forces first countermeasure against Zhuge Liang. Both proving themselves to be fierce rivals in the battlefield. After Cao Cao's death, Sima Yi served Cao Pi and fought off Zhuge Liang's northern campaigns many times.

So close was their rivalry, that Sima Yi was once scared off by a dead Zhuge Liang. The story goes like this, upon hearing Zhuge Liang's death, he thought of capitalizing by rushing at the retreating columns, however, seeing how quickly the rear line reacted to the attack, he suspected Zhuge Liang faked his own death to draw him in, he withdrew fearfully. After he discovered the truth, he remarked, "I can predict the living, but not the dead."

Jia Xu
One of the oldest strategist. His time was way before Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi. He served Dong Zhou, one of the most tyrannical ruler who manipulated the emperor. However, Jia Xu was unable to prevent Dong Zhou's assassination by his stepson, Lu Bu. The remnants of Dong Zhou's followers initially listened to his advice to dislodge Lu Bu from Chang An, but after that success, the camp was divided amongst Li Jue and Guo Si. Sensing the camp's downward spiral he seeks refuge with a minor warlord, Zhang Xiu, who trusted his advice fully.

In 197, after much pressure from Cao Cao, Zhang Xiu finally surrendered. When Cao Cao marched confidently into the city to receive the surrender, Jia Xu sprung the trap and set the whole army ablaze. Cao Cao barely escaped with his life. Jia Xu's intelligence once again showed in year 199, when Yuan Shao formally requested for Zhang Xiu's aid in fighting the battle of Guan Du. His lord wanted to join in the fight, but Jia Xu advised the opposite, since Cao Cao's position is weaker, Zhang Xiu is more needed by Cao Cao than Yuan Shao. His advised was accepted, and true to his prediction, Cao Cao gladly received the offer of submission, this time without getting his ass set on fire.

Needs more Lu Xun, my favorite character from the series.

I think Sangokushi 7 had the best music, btw.

anus_pounder

Arcane
As a game character, Cao Cao. In the novels? I'm gonna go with Zhao Yun(Zilong) and Liao Hua. The latter especially because I feel sorry for him. He saw the rise of shu and died after seeing its fall. ouch.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Pity you can't get Zhou Yu or you'd have the entire 'famous Three Kingdoms strategists' set. :lol:

Felix

Arcane
Talk about Cao Cao, I have fond memories of Legend of Cao Cao, definitely an incline amidst pro-Shu stuffs.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 18 : Multi-headed dragon

Music: Majesty

It's time to ascend and claim what is rightfully mine.
1.jpg

Our forces scattered Cao Cao's army in the north and west. Our treaty protects our eastern borders, and we held nothing back. Gan Ning leads the charge towards the north-western plains of Wu Wei.
2.jpg

3.jpg

Sixteen blows later...
4.jpg

6.jpg

13.jpg

Yuan Tan, our ineffective ally requests for aid.
7.jpg

:smug:
8.jpg

Our march is unstoppable.
9.jpg

Lord Zhang Xiu is now a Baron, the highest title in the land so far.
10.jpg

Even Cao Cao's counter-offensive at the pass to Han Zhong is repulsed with minimal difficulty.
12.jpg

We have claimed all of Cao Cao's northern colonies. The time is ripe to move south.
14.jpg

But what of the East?
15.jpg

Too fucking bad.
16.jpg

We quickly summoned any available naval officers to lead the idle soldiers, too used to the 3 years of peace after the Yueying - Lady Wu treaty.

Come, let the river be filled with your corpses once more!
17.jpg

Sun Ce sends forth a land invasion as well. We nervously summoned a few choice second rate officers, hungry for their first battle.
18.jpg

By the time they arrived, preparation are ready.
19.jpg

Fire.
20.jpg

Cao Cao misses his wife. We allowed him to buy her back for 2040 gold.
21.jpg

Xiahou Dun cannot stop our 45,000 strong cavalry from marching southwards.
22.jpg

23.jpg

This time, we accept.

Meanwhile, southwest...another unfortunate scholar falls prey to a cavalry charge.
26.jpg

27.jpg

I WANT MOAR!
28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

All hail the Duke of Han Zhong!

32.jpg

Sun Ce cannot accept his inferiority. His 2 year of military build up being cut left and right before his eyes.
33.jpg

We respond with an assault on Xu Chang while our allies lag behind.
34.jpg

37.jpg

Pang Tong will lead the defense of Xin Ye.
35.jpg

The navy could not assist, they are busy with other matters in the river.
36.jpg

Liu Zhang's pitiful existence as a weak lord ends. Cao Cao will prepare my throne for me in the southwestern reaches.
38.jpg

Sun Ce cannot break through our makeshift defence.
40.jpg

41.jpg

It's time to develop Elite cavalry!
42.jpg

Seeing as how our allies cannot seem to do anything right, we decided to attack Chen Liu ourselves.
43.jpg

Another southwestern city falls to Lord Zhang Xiu!
44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

I wonder how close am I to the Emperor?

We're number one.
48.jpg

While holding off Sun Ce by land and sea, our forces have managed to make gains into the central plains with a little help from our allies. The southwestern blitz is maintained throughout the eastern defense. Sun Ce's 2 years of military build up came up empty. Half of them sunk to the bottom of the river
47.jpg

RK47

Patron
Without. The official English PC version has no Power-up Kit patch. :(

RK47

Patron
? You can do that even without PUK installed in the English version. Go to options and create officer.

The only major difference for PUK editor is that you can add new pictures.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 19 : Chaos in the Central Plains

Music : Opening

Our advance in the Central Plains are limited by manpower and equipment. Yet we have a slight numerical advantage, provided if we are more willing to throw everything we've got.
1.jpg

As more and more territories are secured, the time taken to resupply the drained troops consume more time. The Brotherhood cavalry continues its march towards southwestern territories. It's army shrunk to a mere 30,000 from 45,000.
2.jpg

We must not give too much time for our enemies to resupply.

Elsewhere, Gan Ning leads an expedition to the west, once he has secured that city, he will have the opportunity to link up with Lord Zhang Xiu's army and finish off Cao Cao remaining two cities.
3.jpg

Our navy continues its skirmishes with Sun Ce's forces, the river thick with corpses and sunken ships. Yet the enemy continues its relentless advance. Our second rate officers refuse to yield.
4.jpg

Our forces from Xu Chang converges upon Sun Ce's city of Ru Nan. We attacked with a force of 13,000, hoping to score a quick smash and grab.
5.jpg

However, the presence of an army of 10,000 cavalry led by Zhao Yun complicates matters.

What is better than defending? Counter attack while defending!
Zhuge Liang slipped in with a force of 15,000 to assault Lu Jiang while the navy provides defensive cover.
6.jpg

Gan Ning's advance to the west was met with fierce resistance. The chokepoint is making it hard to breakthrough.
7.jpg

Chen Dao could not cope with Zhao Yun's cavalry. I refuse to call off the invasion. Instead, I throw another 14,000 archers from Xin Ye to assault from another route. Additional troops are sent from the north to rescue Chen Dao's forces from utter destruction.
8.jpg

The hastily formed attack force led by Zhuge Liang does not have enough willpower to fire another shot of the catapult. It's a good thing we managed to scrounge enough gold to construct a band platform!
9.jpg

The Brotherhood cavalry is victorious again!
10.jpg

The 20,000 cavalry force from Luo Yang scatters Zhao Yun's forces after a fierce battle and proceeds to siege Ru Nan.
11.jpg

Gan Ning's forces are still stuck. Xu Sheng, who was leading the battering ram batallion, has had enough.
12.jpg

13.jpg

They exchanged eleven strokes and Cao Ren seems to have the upper hand....
14.jpg

Until...
15.jpg

HA HA HA.

16.jpg

17.jpg

The loss of Cao Ren's deputy caused 3,000 of his men to desert his unit.

With renewed willpower, Zhuge Liang successfully captured Lu Jiang from Sun Ce's forces.
18.jpg

Zhang Yan completed the capture of Ru Nan.
19.jpg

The weakened force of Cao Ren could not withstand Gan Ning's repeated assault, and soon the walls of Yong An fell to Xu Sheng's battering ram squad.
20.jpg

Just a little more.....total domination...will be in our grasp....
21.jpg

:thumbsup:

Zhang Xiu's forces managed to fend off Sun Ce's forces and stage two successful counter-attacks.The large empire makes it hard to keep administration efficient, sacrifices had to be made. Some cities development lay neglected as thousands are drafted and thrown into battlefield with minimal preparations.

Cao Cao's final stronghold lies in Nanman territories. Famous for its poisonous swamps and long travel distances, we'll need to stock up more food and prepare for a long march.

22.jpg

Liu Bei still refuses to give up. Amazing.

anus_pounder

Arcane
RK47 said:
? You can do that even without PUK installed in the English version. Go to options and create officer.

Wait what? You can edit the stats of historical officers without the PUK? :x why am I finding this out only now?!? Time to gimp me some Wu officers.

Also, :yeah: for your update!

anus_pounder said:
RK47 said:

Wait what? You can edit the stats of historical officers without the PUK? :x why am I finding this out only now?!? Time to gimp me some Wu officers.

Also, :yeah: for your update!

Good news, if you can't read Japanese or Mandarin you can still play the PUK.

Patch http://kongming.net/11/english/

Brother None said:
Is it just me or is this well over except for mop-up duty now?

Definitely over. It's been over really. Once you get past the initial build up stage and win a couple crucial battles, the game becomes incredibly easy. The fact he is a good player only exacerbates this.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 20 : Ascension

Music : Opening

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Thus, the remnants of lesser warlords gathers at their respective territories for their last stand.
11.jpg

Yeesh

Magister
anus_pounder said:
Takeda Kenshi said:
Good news, if you can't read Japanese or Mandarin you can still play the PUK.

Patch http://kongming.net/11/english/

:yeah:
This LP has just gone so fast. I greatly appreciate it, and it's made me want to play the game. :salute:

I seem to have the english version of RTK XI, and I'm noticing all these translations are for chinese and japanese versions of the PUK. I suppose the whole point of the translations is that there is no PUK for the english version. I'm confused. Does that mean the only way to play the PUK in english is to install an asian version of RTK XI and add the PUK to that and then translate?

Is my english version useless if I want to play PUK?

Pegultagol

Erudite
Yes, I think there is no PUK available for the English version.
The only available version that can be purchased and imported (obviously) is the Japanese version on playasia.com but it is prohibitively expensive.
Also, the quality of the translations varies and often rather rudimentary, sometimes foregoing the dialogs and from what I have seen are neither complete nor reaching the quality of the official translations.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Takeda Kenshi said:
Definitely over. It's been over really. Once you get past the initial build up stage and win a couple crucial battles, the game becomes incredibly easy. The fact he is a good player only exacerbates this.

Many strategy games suffer from the problem.

So, uh, is RK47 emperor now and he's won, basically, or will there be mop-up updates?

Good LP regardless :salute:

Felix

Arcane
Drakron said:
GarfunkeL said:
Whoa, looks pretty! But this is no Rance, is it?

Nope.

There is Koihime Musou that is kinda like Rance.

Not Koihime Musou:

sys04_1.jpg

32199_304.jpg

03.jpg

:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom