Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lets settle this once and for all

Which is more important?

• Total voters

barghwata

Savant
Not sure an RPG without story even counts as an RPG. Is dungeon crawler an RPG? If there's no role to play. Somebody make a poll about it.

The story can be created through the mechanics alone, Kenshi is a combat focused game and yet you'll hear all sorts of crazy stories of things that happened to people who played the game that emerged purely from the mechanics, RPGs don't require predefined plots.

Either way this poll is stupid and OP is a fag, both combat and story focused RPGs can work just fine, what actually matters is reactivity and exploration.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
what actually matters is reactivity and exploration.
1479206864-donald-trump-wrong.gif

Also reactivity is part of the story dumb-dumb.

Saduj

Arcane
Above average combat can make up for a bad story, as long as the bad story doesn't have a million words. A story has to be exceptional in order to make up for shitty combat. So if a likable game is shitty at one and good at the other, it is usually shit story and good combat. In those games, combat is more important. But there are games where story is more important.

Silly Germans

More important for what exactly ? The question is strange.
If you want a good rpg its nonsensical to decouple combat and story. Only when you mix the best of both worlds and create a working fusion of combat and story you get a good rpg. For combat only we have pure genres like shooters/strategy games etc. Pure story telling games are adventures in my book. Good rpgs should have both.

barghwata

Savant
Also reactivity is part of the story dumb-dumb.

Bullshit, reactivity doesn't equal C&C, reactivity includes anything the game does to react to your actions and character build. You mentioned Mount & Blade earlier as an example of an RPG with no story, well M&B has alot of reactivity, because faction AI reacts to your actions constantly; reactivity can be achieved through mechanics just as it can be achieved through story.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Bullshit, reactivity doesn't equal C&C, reactivity includes anything the game does to react to your actions and character build. You mentioned Mount & Blade earlier as an example of an RPG with no story, well M&B has alot of reactivity, because faction AI reacts to your actions constantly; reactivity can be achieved through mechanics just as it can be achieved through story.
Yeh, there's also shit like killing children in Fallout or being one of the lesser races in Arcanum.
But I still think most of the reactivity in RPGs comes from quest resolution.
Regardless, that's cool and all, but do you really value reactivity over combat and story?
It's like throwing away the ice cream for the cherry.

barghwata

Savant
Yeh, there's also shit like killing children in Fallout or being one of the lesser races in Arcanum.
But I still think most of the reactivity in RPGs comes from quest resolution.
Regardless, that's cool and all, but do you really value reactivity over combat and story?
It's like throwing away the ice cream for the cherry.

I am not saying combat and story are irrelevant, obviously if an RPG is gonna have combat or a plot in it they better be good, but while a good combat system or a good story can make a good game, reactvity and exploration driven by character building systems are what make a good RPG, they're the things that set the genre apart from others, if all i wanted is good combat i will go play a tactical game since most RPGs have mediocre combat anyways, and if all i wanted was a good story, adventure games completely shit on most RPGs in that departement, i don't think those two things alone are enough for an RPG.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Honestly, only people who used to primarily play console action games and switched to RPGs when that market began drying up would pick combat.

Combat, btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom