Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Level scaling - a brilliant feature or a big mistake?

mjorkerina

Scholar
The most important thing about BG2 "scaling" is that it didn't affect important creatures. Dragons didn't get weaker because you visit them in lowers levels while in oblivion there are absolutely no creatures ten times more powerful than you are which makes the world bland and uninteresting.

The necromancer you get to kill when doing the final mages guild quest is a pure laughing stock.

Grindstone_82

Novice
brilliant? No. It is a half-baked cure for bad game design. That means it can save a game from becoming a complete failure, and nothing more. It does take away from the atmosphere in any case

Amon Gesoto

Educated
level scaling seems silly because it doesn't punish you for brash decisions. If you're going to have a game based on levels of prowess then it should go without saying there are some, if not a whole reservoir, of people and creatures that surpass you when you first begin.

If I'm playing a leveling based game and I went up against a dragon at level one, I should just die. The Dragon shouldn't even breathe fire on me, he should just step on my ass. And if I went up against some master assassin at level you-suck, I should lose.

And then there's the other side of the coin, if I'm a level fifty warrior or some such thing, rats should die when I look in their direction, there should be no fight; Or if there is it should consist of them hopelessly trying to fight me, waiting for that inevitable single-stroke of death.

crufty

Arcane
NetHack has level scaling. The deeper in the dungeon you go, the harder the monsters get.

This form of scaling is good.

Having cliff racer, dire cliff racer, diseased cliff racer and dire diseased cliff racer is horrible.

In PnP land, the way to scale is to increase the number of monsters, not the power of them. Also, it is not unheard of to have monsters that DMs adjust key figure powers to match the party.

Level scaling completely and totally removes any drive I have to play a crpg--because what is the point?

Dark Elf

Erudite
Level scaling is communism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom