Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LISA: The Painful - Definitive Edition

Baron Dupek

Arcane

F1UfnsuXgAIP2_Y

:hmmm:

so the point about drugs destroying lives is gone
meanwhile TLoU2 have buttsex and drugs no problem

tommy heavenly6

Learned
You can't make works of fiction about traumatic events/issues anymore because it might upset some twitter addict.

Jinn

Arcane
Thank goodness it's just the Playstation version, but what in the almighty fuck?

lightbane

Arcane
We have fully come back to the censorship of the 90s, except that this time is dumber than ever... At least only for the Playstation for now (and it still leaves uncensored all of the more fucked up content of the game anyway, funnily enough). Did Dingaling agree to this?

Either way, I'm excited with the idea of new endings and content, but I won't be able to play this for now.

Elttharion

Learned
I heard they also censored 'racist jokes' in all versions of the game. Anyone knows if its true?

lightbane

Arcane
I heard they also censored 'racist jokes' in all versions of the game. Anyone knows if its true?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/335670/discussions/0/7318962605504505473/
According to this, Black Ranger's introduction no longer makes monkey sounds, and Junior, a nigga that shows up ONCE during a brief flashback to make a joke about cuckism, has been altered.
Plus whatever the hell is going on with the song above, that had its sample changed for some reason.
Supposedly the dev suffered a meltdown during 2016 by saying that as a white he felt he had no right to feel pride for being white, and then got worse once Trump won.
Shame, he seemed like a fun dude that worked out and did stuff instead of being at Twitter 24/7.

S has most cuts and changes, but other versions are still affected too
just... why? Why now? Why even do it in the first place?
Sony apparently believes that having a little girl drink and take drugs is bad, even though the game features rape, cannibalism, hyper-violence, mass murder, child murderers, implied rape, violence against children (implied and shown, including said girl), etc.

Supposedly, the new edition includes the OG game without censorship, but it's an inferior version now as I doubt it will have any of the upgrades of the Enhanced edition. Hopefully mods fix the censorship (before they're taken out).

What was okay in *checks* 2014 is no longer kosher in current year.

EDIT:

*checks Steams review*

Wow, it's a lot worse than I thought. Example:

I love the original LISA. I'm glad Austin removed those unsavory bits - they sucked and were far from his best work. This review is not about that. I am addressing some major issues that are present in this "Definitive Edition". Spoilers ahead, folks.

Fights now start with a deafeningly loud noise accompanied by what I can only describe as a flashbang. Sounds in general are either way too loud or too quiet. Due to this game being made with Unity rather than RPGmaker, most of the original sound effects could not be repurposed for obvious legal reasons. The new foley and sound effects sound weak and awkward. Some might just need getting used to, but the old sound effects had a goofy charm to them. No more church organ when you pass out for bed - just a simple rendition of the main theme.

Many of the animations have been rendered extremely choppy or feature characters in awkward locations on the screen for no reason. Some animations won't even play properly, like in the Dayspa Henning fight (the sleeping guy) - he dies before the death animation plays (AN ISSUE THAT WAS FIXED IN FANGAMES MADE IN 2017). The flavor text used to communicate which player or enemy is attacking gets bugged very easily and disappears in fights with multiple enemies. Fights also end without properly dealing with the BGM or will end abruptly in the middle of combos (just like in the original). In addition, I found that interactions with shopkeepers and menus felt very sticky and unusual, like they'd hang around for slightly too long or require multiple more button presses than usual to escape. Worse yet, sometimes, they game will throw up a useless pop-up whenever you use an item to remove status effects. Want to use a cigarette to clear Poison? Better be careful - if you click through too fast, you might accidentally give Brad Joy.

Some more issues. Shadowy figures have this super-fast bobbing animation that diffuses the tension of the battle altogether. Gimmicky fights like the big end of Area 1 fight against Sweet Tea Rakeem (on Pain Mode) are just as annoying as they used to be - not as a result of difficulty, but rather 500+ damage RNG. If you get unlucky, both guys can KO your entire party in one turn without warning. Status effects now only appear when selecting skills rather than on a party member's profile, forcing you to have to memorize a character's current states or re-examine them via skills/items. Damage done via DOT is not displayed to the player, so it's an absolute crapshoot as to whether or not you're actually doing foes in. Let me stress that it's a bit ridiculous that a boss can have 3 DOT statuses on them at once, be attacked by all three party members and be stunlocked via Pissed and still take about 8-9 turns to kill. The AOE attacks have only one centered animation, which can catch players off-guard, as they'll see a simple chop that's targeted at the center of the screen somehow eradicate half of their team.

No matter if these issues were present or not in the original, it's unacceptable that a price-hiked version labeled "The Definitive Edition" features them. The thing is, though, most of these issues WERE NOT in the original RPGmaker version, despite its numerous other points of jankiness. I am not sure how it's possible that a new engine (that should have more functionality than the original) has these issues.

Let me be fair. There's a lot of new writing that blends seamlessly into the original. You receive a new guidebook that allows you to learn about all of the combat intricacies, with it even providing strategies to succeed. There are some new visual effects that look quite nice. Nern gets a brand new monologue, but god almighty, it clocks in at a consistent six plus minutes, which was far longer than any previous monologue he ever gave. I barely chuckled. That might be personal bias speaking, as I never thought Nern was THAT funny, but I think even his biggest fans might groan at the ridiculous length.

They removed harmless stuff from the game. In the first safe zone - Aurora Town - there used to be an event that would play, wherein you'd fall on a guy and he'd pick himself right back up. At the same time, a fellow next to him would smile and clap, making a little laughing noise in between. All of these nice details were zapped out of the game, leaving you with an awkward encounter wherein both parties just stare at you as they deliver the same dialogue. This may just be my mind playing tricks on me, but I swear the "drunkamania" fellow used to start dancing when you handed him alcohol. Now he just sits. Woo.

There's a new mechanic involving TP building, wherein by drinking booze you can get drunk and start with more TP. Sounds fun, right? Well, the devs made sure to carry over the detail that alcohol actually LOWERS your damage output, meaning that not only do you hit less frequently, you hit less hard (irrespective of critical damage). You are actively hampering your own ability to succeed by drinking for a measly 5 TP boost at the start of the fight. It is a nitpick, for sure, but it is a clear example of the devs introducing something without considering if it is ACTUALLY helpful or not.

I haven't yet reached the ending of the game, but I've beaten LISA at least a dozen times at this point, both modded and not. I've been around since 2016, and have seen plenty of community fixes and suggestions that should have been put into the game long ago. Some are present, like fixes to Joy Withdrawal (let me note here that joy withdrawal operates on several timers, rather than one - now you will hear the yell and see the red flash multiple times). Hell, there was a FAN definitive edition known as Desolate Expanse that did a far better job at handling all of these fixes while creating exciting new zones, bosses and party members for the player to discover.

Maybe the rest of the experience will provide enough nice new material to be worthwhile. As of now, though, I know for a fact these issues will persist for the rest of the game. I will update this review with more positives and negatives as I go along.

I had a sinking suspicion that since this was made by the DDLC Plus devs (Serenity Forge), they'd find a way to botch it. After all, I can't say I look fondly on people that mangle a game's novel functionality just to sell it on consoles. Perhaps that's a bit harsh, but so is asking for 15 dollars for a game like DDLC plus. LISA's original cost made it an easy recommendation. Now? Not so much.

I love LISA. I wouldn't call this a Definitive Edition.

So, better wait for patches as the new edition is a complete mess.

Last edited:

beardalaxy

Novice
Man, I hate all of this censorship shit that is happening well after a game's initial release. Skullgirls got hit with it recently, and now LISA. I can understand censoring a game for specific regions right when it comes out or something, even if I completely disagree with launching a game somewhere it needs to be censored in the first place, but when people dig through old games and try to "fix" them with content changes like this it's so lame and so disingenuous. Not to mention just flat out gay, as if someone playing a rated M video game couldn't handle the fact that it's uncouth. I mean, that's not false, unfortunately, but then why do we even have ratings anymore? Just put a bunch of warning labels on the box.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I mean, that's not false, unfortunately, but then why do we even have ratings anymore? Just put a bunch of warning labels on the box.

This is tangentially related to the ratings craze of the 90s and its natural development.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I mean, that's not false, unfortunately, but then why do we even have ratings anymore? Just put a bunch of warning labels on the box.

This is tangentially related to the ratings craze of the 90s and its natural development.
very untrue. nintendo censored their western releases of games up until the congress came up with esrb, only after it they ceased to do so.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Cigarettes have been changed to cigarette candy, and alcohol to soda??? This has to be a joke. Is this 1980s Nintendo??

Welcome to the future. Even indies will self-censor their edgy game if it means one more sale.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I checked around for the new content and... It's a mixed bag, which makes the above message funnier.

There are new camp conversations that may be interesting, may be a waste of time, but are flavorful. The chatty guy, Nen IIRC, has a new conversation that seemingly hints at more of the plot... But it's a 5+ minutes long conversation that is trolling you.
There's a new super-boss in Painful only accessible after you get the boat parts, but it's a fucking mess that is meant to waste your time, as it's a potentially 2h+ long battle with no chance to save in the meantime, and with little reward afterwards.

Brad has a nightmare where he confronts his father as a mountain of flesh as seen in LISA 1, which has literal thousands of HP that take forever to whittle down. Marty is capable of permanently reducing all of your party members' starts every turn, and insta-kill one party member at random, with no chance to dodge, in a cutscene that takes way longer than it should, and then force you to kill your former party member. You can escape and get into a menu to resupply and form a new party, but it's tedious. It's meant to represent the suffering and abuse that Brad and his sister went through, yadda yadda, but it's not fun gameplay wise. Check Youtube instead if you value your time, or cheat.

In Joyful, there are new bosses and certain actions that change slightly the Leave ending, but they are a pain to follow without a guide to check the precise steps you must take (you can't take ANY Joy to begin with IIRC, or otherwise the new ending is lost forever).

The new Leave ending has Buddy being held by a giant, angelic woman that may be her mom... Somehow. There's no explanation, and while you get more background regarding the Lisa drama, the plot has clearly reached its limit.

musouking

Novice
Patron
Apart from this, all legacy versions of the game will remain available as launch options on Steam.
So Steam version is still worth buying? Even ignoring the offical localization coming soon.

beardalaxy

Novice
Apart from this, all legacy versions of the game will remain available as launch options on Steam.
So Steam version is still worth buying? Even ignoring the offical localization coming soon.
Correct. If you are going to pay for the game, the Steam method is the way to do it since you can play the original still.
There might be mods that restore old content by now, but I haven't checked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom