Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LISA: The Painful - Definitive Edition

Jinn

Arcane
Omori + Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, the latter of which doesn't even have a thread here yet.

Would greatly recommend Jimmy over Omori. Not only does it have massively better gameplay overall, but does the whole caught in a traumatic dream land thing much better too. I really don't care for that angle in storytelling much in the first place, but Jimmy managed to win me over in the end, while also providing many laugh out loud moments. The developer - a single guy who did everything - is working on a new game now that's supposed to release in the next year or two, which I'm very excited to see. He's moved on from RPGMaker to Unity I believe, and expect everything from his gameplay, art, and music to be a large improvement. The guy is smart and very passionate.

I liked the first few hours of Omori, but it ended up falling flat for me in almost every department besides the art. Interested to read some other opinions about it though, and see if it was just my mood preventing me from continuing to enjoy it.

As for Lisa, I'm a huge fan . Sad that there hasn't been any word on his next project in a few years. I hope it wasn't a bright light and then a fizzle with Lisa, but it's starting to look like that more and more.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Almost forgot: The game's music rocks. It is a combination of weird like Earthbound's one, with Hotline Miami's sound-induced insanity, fitting considering how everyone in LISA's world is stoned half of the time.
There's also even a Pnp game in the works:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aVv66pGL3rM1Yb6YHtnPIL6ot6Pyd09GmHckMVRDz9A/edit

There's a sample adventure and other stuff as well.

Speaking of LISA fangames, most of them died, but supposedly there are a few good ones like LISA: The Hopeful. From what I read The Pointless is bad though. I suppose many fans stopped their projects when they noticed the amount of work it would entail.

Would greatly recommend Jimmy over Omori. Not only does it have massively better gameplay overall, but does the whole caught in a traumatic dream land thing much better too. I really don't care for that angle in storytelling much in the first place, but Jimmy managed to win me over in the end, while also providing many laugh out loud moments. The developer - a single guy who did everything - is working on a new game now that's supposed to release in the next year or two, which I'm very excited to see. He's moved on from RPGMaker to Unity I believe, and expect everything from his gameplay, art, and music to be a large improvement. The guy is smart and very passionate.
My issue with Jimmy is that the steam's store page accidentally spoils an important part of the plot. Moreover, if you know Rakuen, another RPGMaker game with similar premise (although that one is an adventure game), you'll see more and more similarities, going as far as to have a similar plot twist.

So I'll have to wait until I "forget" enough of Jimmy's spoilers to play it, hence why Omori first.

As for Lisa, I'm a huge fan . Sad that there hasn't been any word on his next project in a few years. I hope it wasn't a bright light and then a fizzle with Lisa, but it's starting to look like that more and more

Supposedly there was going to be an announcement soon but it got delayed. Even if Ding does nothing else, making this trilogy is already good enough.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
The creator is still around and making things according to the last minutes of this interview:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

incline.png

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
there's also been this Lisa the Pointless fan game which is repored to be 5h long, anyone played it?

Arthandas

Prophet
Definitive Edition coming
And it's free :D

All the changes, for the sake of convenience:

LISA: Definitive Edition, along with Definitive Editions for LISA: The Painful and LISA: The Joyful, will offer exciting features:

- HD graphics & updated UI
- 100+ unique character battles
- 30+ party members to recruit
- Next gen functionalities including Nintendo Switch HD Rumble, PlayStation DualSense haptics, light bar, & adaptive triggers, DualShock 4/DualSense speaker audio
- 120 FPS mode for PC and next gen consoles
- New enemies and bosses to challenge
- New stories, multiple story endings
- 20+ new songs
- Music Player
- Localized to 12+ languages
- Painless (story) mode
- New border art overlays
- Pixel perfect int scaling option
- Secrets
- and more!

Jinn

Arcane
Time for a replay! I wonder how his other project is going. Ninja Tears was the name years ago. Who knows if it's still in development or if he switched gears completely?

Arthandas

Prophet
I'm a bit disappointed they're making a new easy mode but no harder one.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
LISA was always more of a CRPG than a JRPG as it had C&C, even if the ending was fixed. Now though, chances are it might have multiple endings: Buddy in the trailer had a "pacifism" skill she lacked before, so it should have new endings. There's also a new song.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
LISA was always more of a CRPG than a JRPG as it had C&C, even if the ending was fixed. Now though, chances are it might have multiple endings: Buddy in the trailer had a "pacifism" skill she lacked before, so it should have new endings. There's also a new song.

let's not get too cocky, lisa also has a static player party vs. enemy party layout with FIGHT/SKILL/ITEM/RUN commands and predetermined stat growths and upgrade paths

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
LISA was always more of a CRPG than a JRPG as it had C&C, even if the ending was fixed.
JRPGs have C&C on occasion too, you know. And even dating sim Persona shit is more meaningful C&C than Lisa's "choices" which don't even affect the story. "Lose a party member or get a PC debuff."

Definitely hope there's some actual different endings in the new release, though. Maybe if there's a proper joyless ending then I can finally rest my grudge with this damn game. Though even that wouldn't stop Buddy from being a little cunt.

lightbane

Arcane
let's not get too cocky, lisa also has a static player party vs. enemy party layout with FIGHT/SKILL/ITEM/RUN commands and predetermined stat growths and upgrade paths
So? The Codex has fallen so low that even a CYOA game with C&C and no combat is considered a RPG, and Dark Souls+derivatives is considered a JRPG despite being a western game in all but name.

JRPGs have C&C on occasion too, you know. And even dating sim Persona shit is more meaningful C&C than Lisa's "choices" which don't even affect the story. "Lose a party member or get a PC debuff."

I would say that stuff such as having certain NPCs refuse to join if you use the Joy drug, or have some towns destroyed if you act carelessly would count as C&C. True, the overall story doesn't change, but it might with the new update once new endings show up.

I don't know much about the Derpsona games, but aren't these super-static? The most you can get as a choice IIRC is who you date.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
So? The Codex has fallen so low that even a CYOA game with C&C and no combat is considered a RPG, and Dark Souls+derivatives is considered a JRPG despite being a western game in all but name.
if you recognize these two as errors then you shouldn't add to the confusion by misgendering lisa

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I don't know much about the Derpsona games, but aren't these super-static? The most you can get as a choice IIRC is who you date.
Yeah, but getting a date is a story change at least.
I would say that stuff such as having certain NPCs refuse to join if you use the Joy drug, or have some towns destroyed if you act carelessly would count as C&C.
I didn't know about that, since I never used Joy or did anything to destroy a town. That's cool, though.
True, the overall story doesn't change, but it might with the new update once new endings show up.
Hopefully, but I'm not really holding my breath. The dev seems to like to troll the players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom