Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of all Diablo clones

Shodanon

Ninth Exodus
Developer
Back when I was working on my own Diablo clone, I made this list of games that would be considered that, whatever you call 'em: arpgs, hack&slash, etc. Meybe it will come in handy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/121FE9Z_x4yiel0WQsRrcXmMjKkq9c0UhtFRaSo1vOfY/edit#gid=0
I was searching google for an exhaustive list of Diablo Clones and it brought me back to Codex. Thanks for this. It's exactly what I was looking for.
It's a pretty old list by now, it's missing one game that started development after I shelved my own diablolike. It's called Tower of Kalemonvo, made by a madman slav solodev. It's pretty great.

Chuck Norris

Augur
Back when I was working on my own Diablo clone, I made this list of games that would be considered that, whatever you call 'em: arpgs, hack&slash, etc. Meybe it will come in handy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/121FE9Z_x4yiel0WQsRrcXmMjKkq9c0UhtFRaSo1vOfY/edit#gid=0
I was searching google for an exhaustive list of Diablo Clones and it brought me back to Codex. Thanks for this. It's exactly what I was looking for.
It's a pretty old list by now, it's missing one game that started development after I shelved my own diablolike. It's called Tower of Kalemonvo, made by a madman slav solodev. It's pretty great.

Oh, you shelved your project? That sucks. Cause usually projects by people who have such a thorough approach to the canon of what they're developing make interesting stuff.

I know about Tower of Kalemonov. It's an interesting title and I will probably end up playing it, but it looks a little too much like Diablo 1. Making an attempt to have your own unique identity is always a good thing.

SilentMRG

Novice
Here's another one (I don't think it was mentioned in the thread):

And more information here: ShadowFlare
I've never played it, and it looks like this game was stuck in Japan only. Hell... This could be on GOG! The animations look good. :)

Edit: Well, I quickly read the information on the wiki and didn't see that was released worldwide. The question: did anyone know this game existed? I never saw or read anything about it until late last year.
:shredder:

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Never played it. I only played a few of these kinds of games and thought they were all mindless.

SilentMRG

Novice
Last night I found all 4 episodes of Shadowflare, and I must say that, unfortunately, it is an unbalanced game. Some enemies kill you with just one hit, right in the first dungeon, and death is so quick and cheap that you won't even see where the attack that knocked you down came from. They also attack in groups and there are many of them right at the beginning. I would venture to say that the focus was on the multiplayer mode, but for some reason the company at the time decided to add the single player mode and forgot to balance things. It's not a bad game, if we look at it overall, it's basically a poor man's Diablo 2 clone, but without the respawning enemies, with each death or load.

A side note: Maybe I'm talking nonsense, I think Shadowflare was the precursor to adding an animal companion to an ARPG.

kalemonvo

Arcane
Developer
Here's one I don't see mentioned here that I accidentally stumbled upon: Morning's Wrath (2005). It even already has a thread here . It might be stretching the definition of Diablo-clone a bit in my eyes, but that's what the reviews of the day compared it to.
From what I can piece together, it doesn't look particularly polished but the soundtrack seems nice. I dug around and found out one of the developers talked about the game a bit in the comments on this YouTube vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YktHbhE5O8

The tl;dr is that they've planned for some Steam re-release some years back which fell through as their publisher wasn't interested, but in the now 4 year old comment the dev mentions how he has a more polished build available to email for those interested. I'm not too keep on opening .exes from strange men in YouTube comments so I'll pass, but perhaps the offer still exists for anyone who cares. For me it doesn't seem interesting enough to bother with.

Some preview images
Mw1.png
Mw3.jpg

Last edited:
Obscure diablo clones/likes:

Alexander: The Heroes Hour
Birth of Shadows
Blade & Sword
Clans
Cybermercs: The Soldiers of the 22nd Century
Darkstone: Evil Reigns
Dawn of Magic 1/2
Dimensity
Dragonfire: The Well of Souls
Druid: Daemons of the Mind
Dungeon Lords
ETROM: The Astral Essence
FIVE: Guardians of David
Gates of Destiny
Harbinger
Hero X
Hexplore
Hiouden - Maou Tachi tono Chikai II
Kivi's Underworld
Knightmare
Lamentation Sword (Akuma: Demon Spawn / Toema Jeonseol / 퇴마전설)
Legend: Hand of God
Loki: Heroes of Mythology
Lost Legends
Mage Knight: Apocalypse
NightStone
Pillars of Garendall
Restricted Area
Rinne
ShadowFlare
ShadowFlare: Episode 1
Shattered Light
Talisman (Талисман)
Testament
The Banished
The Broken Land
The Fate
The Tainted
Valhalla Chronicles

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom