Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

MetalCraze

Arcane
Goddamnit, this just made me remember how much I loved Tiberian Sun and Westwood. Fuck you Ea, just FUCK YOU!

:x
Bro it was during Riccitiello's previous term that Westwood was shutdown together with other good studios.

'97 and up was the time when EA went from being an awesome publisher releasing some monocle games to a total shit conveyor churning out shitty sequels every year.

'97 was the year when a simple manager left PepsiCo and became the tyrant of EA.

And thus he brought PepsiCo's Mountain Dew into game design.

MetalCraze

Arcane
John Riccitiello is Tanar'ri to Bobby Kotick's Baatezu.
Kotick himself was a manager of the rival Coca-Cola company before going to lead Activision.

But it looks like Riccitiello's has lost the Blood War after all. Though he should've sacrificed Bioware while leaving.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's sort of odd that a company which theoretically competes with content business would hire an executive from a business that competes with packing. I think you would want to hire from TV or the movie industry.

grdja

Augur
It's sort of odd that a company which theoretically competes with content business would hire an executive from a business that competes with packing. I think you would want to hire from TV or the movie industry.
Why would you think so? It worked so well for EA that ActiBlizz did the same thing. Don't know if that is also true for Ubisoft. Content is overrated, you can sell a stinking turd with good enough ad.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why would you think so? It worked so well for EA that ActiBlizz did the same thing. Don't know if that is also true for Ubisoft. Content is overrated, you can sell a stinking turd with good enough ad.

Eh? No, Bobby Kotick was a tech entrepreneur from the beginning of his career. He only joined the Coca Cola board of directors last year.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I wonder if Kotick is honest when he says he's played some games back in the day. Like actual video games and not some snide insult at anyone.

grdja

Augur

Eh? No, Bobby Kotick was a tech entrepreneur from the beginning of his career. He only joined the Coca Cola board of directors last year.

My derp than. Always though that Kotick was from cardboard packaging or stg ridiculous like that.

Brinko

Arcane
cKC53VJ.jpg

New campaign to get people to play Sims Social. Should have given her a black eye to really guilt trip internet turbofeminists.

Brinko

Arcane
Some shit facebook game I think. Don't give a fuck enough to look up.

Xavier0889

Learned
It is indeed a facebook version of The Sims. You can visit your friend's houses and stuff, and, of course, romance them.

J1M

Arcane
EA's stock was up 30% since the start of the year earlier this month. I don't think this has anything to do with corporate performance. He cashed out his stock options by quitting for the most he could hope to get for them.

Same thing happened with GE and many other companies. Average CEO term is something like 5 years now.

EA's stock was up 30% since the start of the year earlier this month. I don't think this has anything to do with corporate performance. He cashed out his stock options by quitting for the most he could hope to get for them.

Same thing happened with GE and many other companies. Average CEO term is something like 5 years now.

With all CEOs being given such nice golden parachutes one could say we are incentivizing CEOs to get out as fast as possible.

Dexter

Arcane
Goddamnit, this just made me remember how much I loved Tiberian Sun and Westwood. Fuck you Ea, just FUCK YOU!

:x
Good oldies:
qslzgldja0.jpg

victimsofeaqikzu.png

dzlqzd5jxu.png

Bro, most of these suits can't see a difference between selling washing powder, toilet paper and video games, like literally and they couldn't give less of a fuck about things like "creativity", "innovation" or "quality" as long as shit sells. That's just how they think: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29010/Activision_COO_Tippl_Franchise_Fatigue_Is_An_Excuse.php

When Tippl joined Activision in 2005, he brought with him several years of executive experience with highly-successful consumer goods company Procter & Gamble, which is home for products ranging from toilet paper to potato chips to laundry detergent. He still draws from that mass market experience.

“When people come up and tell me, ‘how can you possibly make another Call of Duty,’ I always tell them that I used to work for a company that every year had to figure out how to make a white shirt whiter,” Tippl said. “And [Procter & Gamble] have been doing that for 35 years with a product like Tide.”

He continued, “You’re telling me with all the opportunities we have, and the technologies and the content ... and all the different stories, the characters that we can develop, that we can’t innovate on a franchise for 10 years? Give me a break. Then we’re just not doing our job.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom