Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
2013 and people are still explaining to each others that video game publishing companies are only in here for the money.. As development costs rise, there is nothing much to expect from publishers who need to attract a bigger and dumber crowd to make a profit. It is not the fault of Riccitiello, Kotick, or the ones who will come after : it is the failure of parents and governments (but mostly parents) for failing to educate their kids to the finer arts. It is also the fault of video game journalists whose level of analysis do not go above "hurr,durr... okay graphics but good gameplay. Buy."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
2013 and people are still explaining to each others that video game publishing companies are only in here for the money.. As development costs rise, there is nothing much to expect from publishers who need to attract a bigger and dumber crowd to make a profit. It is not the fault of Riccitiello, Kotick, or the ones who will come after : it is the failure of parents and governments (but mostly parents) for failing to educate their kids to the finer arts. It is also the fault of video game journalists whose level of analysis do not go above "hurr,durr... okay graphics but good gameplay. Buy."

So much this.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah EA is bleeding money, the CEO has resigned, and their stock price is down 60% because they make decisions for the "money".

Kirtai

Augur
Yeah EA is bleeding money, the CEO has resigned, and their stock price is down 60% because they make decisions for the "money".
Noone said they were good decisions, and don't forget power either.

Cromwell

Arcane

The resigned ceo made money. And they're bleeding money longer than some companies in the idnustry even exists, thats not a sign of dying quickly.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The resigned ceo made money. And they're bleeding money longer than some companies in the idnustry even exists, thats not a sign of dying quickly.
Who said it was? The point is "EA makes decisions to make money" is ridiculous because they're bad at making such decisions.

It's also pointless argument in general, I'll let Shamus Young tell you why, http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...rienced-points/10226-Not-Greedy-Just-Clueless

Xavier0889

Learned
You are right. They're just clueless of how good deals are made. They aren't focusing on long term goals, thinking that "social gaming" is going to stay forever. I think it's just another fad, as annoying as it might be. And let's not talk about the people they hire.... ANyway, businessmen in suits aren't a problem as long as they fucking know how to do their work properly. I bet EA managers couldn't into succeed during their time as students in their business schools.

Cromwell

Arcane

Who said it was? The point is "EA makes decisions to make money" is ridiculous because they're bad at making such decisions.

It's also pointless argument in general, I'll let Shamus Young tell you why, http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...rienced-points/10226-Not-Greedy-Just-Clueless

They still base their Decisions on Money which they want to be made. As said, nobody said that are good desicions, greedy and money oriented are two different things.

tuluse

Arcane
Whatever, the original post basically boils down to "you can never get mad at or criticize a company because it's just trying to make money like all companies" which is a load of bullshit.

DraQ

Arcane
That's just how they think: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29010/Activision_COO_Tippl_Franchise_Fatigue_Is_An_Excuse.php

When Tippl joined Activision in 2005, he brought with him several years of executive experience with highly-successful consumer goods company Procter & Gamble, which is home for products ranging from toilet paper to potato chips to laundry detergent. He still draws from that mass market experience.

“When people come up and tell me, ‘how can you possibly make another Call of Duty,’ I always tell them that I used to work for a company that every year had to figure out how to make a white shirt whiter,” Tippl said. “And [Procter & Gamble] have been doing that for 35 years with a product like Tide.”

He continued, “You’re telling me with all the opportunities we have, and the technologies and the content ... and all the different stories, the characters that we can develop, that we can’t innovate on a franchise for 10 years? Give me a break. Then we’re just not doing our job.”
:what:

I've never seen a word abused so.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, it's settled.
EA isn't greedy, they're plain incompetent.

You have to wonder if there's some sick puppet master that manipulates all this from the shadows just laughing his ass off.
Really, who else but a giant dickhead would ever, ever hire these guys for anything other than lulz.

Comparing a video or entertainment franchise to a household cleaning product is fucking stupid. The latter has limited competition and is given little thought beyond, did it work well? Yes? Continue using. There's no "franchise fatigue" for such a thing.

Great look into their mindset, though.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
EA reminds me a lot of Microsoft. Their 'innovation' boils down to ripping off the competition, except worse and half a decade late. Hopefully they too will slide into irrelevance.

CEOs typically gets bonuses in stock options, which are more valuable the higher the stock is.

Anyways it should be mentioned that Riticello actually tried innovation. Well, relative to what EA wants to continue doing. He introduced quite a lot of new franchises like bad company, army of two, mirrors edge, Dante's Inferno and shits. Now the new guy won't even do that. I wonder which few couple of games he will focus on - Mass Effect perhaps?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

CEOs typically gets bonuses in stock options, which are more valuable the higher the stock is.

Anyways it should be mentioned that Riticello actually tried innovation. Well, relative to what EA wants to continue doing. He introduced quite a lot of new franchises like bad company, army of two, mirrors edge, Dante's Inferno and shits. Now the new guy won't even do that. I wonder which few couple of games he will focus on - Mass Effect perhaps?

You're forgetting that Mass Effect and Dragon Age were also considered "innovative new IPs" from EA's perspective.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
How well did BF3 sell?

It sold very well: http://bf3blog.com/2012/05/battlefield-3-ships-15-million-copies/

EA just released their financial earnings report, where they revealed that Battlefield 3 has shipped 15 million copies, making it the best selling Battlefield title to date. That’s a good $900 million at the box office, not counting in DLC sales and sales of online passes for used games. EA expects Battlefield 3 sales to reach 18 million by the end of the fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2013. Back in February, EA reported that Battlefield 3 has sold 10 million copies.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
EA reminds me a lot of Microsoft Apple. Their 'innovation' boils down to ripping off the competition, except worse and half a decade late. Hopefully they too will slide into irrelevance.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
EA: "DRM is a failed dead-end strategy"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-27-ea-drm-is-a-failed-dead-end-strategy

I... what?

tumblr_mh9j73m7s31s393xxvf.gif

Edit: Lest anyone think I don't realize it, I'm fully aware that Gibeau is simply bullshitting and running damage control.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom