Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not better than GOG, but GOG carries a much more limited selection of games. Big publishers don't care if people pirate their ancient back catalogs, since that's what everyone had been doing anyway, and otherwise they wouldn't make a cent from said games.

A very few more recent games do make it to GoG, but only from indie developers who wish to garner goodwill by doing so (which they deserve, they should be fully encouraged to go DRM-free).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But Valve's DRM adds value to the games I'm purchasing. I actually prefer to get games through Steam simply because it's just so much more convenient than retail or most of the other digital distributors.

I don't disagree. All I am saying is both pretend they have no DRM because of service features.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, let's commensurate this cluster fuck of a situation:
EA - Always on line is DRM and especially annoying because they never build servers for such usage.
Steam - Same as above, but less so annoying because they can handle it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I don't disagree. All I am saying is both pretend they have no DRM because of service features.

What about the fact that Steam's DRM is much more benign than, say, SecuROM and so on? I would guess that they simply don't want to be lumped in with the completely shit schemes that most people think of when they think of DRM.

I'm not trying to undermine your overall point, here, but there really are some significant gradations to consider when it comes to DRM.

Steam - Same as above, but less so annoying because they can handle it.

Steam offers the ability to be in offline mode for up to thirty days at a time. I'm not sure how you get "always online" out of that.

Dexter

Arcane
But Valve's DRM adds value to the games I'm purchasing. I actually prefer to get games through Steam simply because it's just so much more convenient than retail or most of the other digital distributors.
Not really, Valves optional services add "value" to the games. Their DRM is wholly unneeded and doesn't add anything, which the bunch of DRM-free Steam games available on the platform can attest to: http://af.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1?as=1649904300
Steam would be a better service if it didn't require the client to run at all times to launch most of its games, but that's basically a main part of their business, "Oh, something is on Sale?".

For that matter, I would prefer GoG if it had some sort of Optional client of itself with similar features to Steam, but still offered all the games like they do right now.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm not trying to undermine your overall point, here, but there really are some significant gradations to consider when it comes to DRM.

Christ dude, I'm not saying Steam DRM is horrible or comparing it in value or any of the fucking shit you're replying to. All I did was point out the "DRM is just an oops side effect of games as a service" mantra is far from just an EA thing.

I feel like I'm on the Steam forums with this defense force bullshit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Christ dude, I'm not saying Steam DRM is horrible or comparing it in value or any of the fucking shit you're replying to. All I did was point out the "DRM is just an oops side effect of games as a service" mantra is far from just an EA thing.

I feel like I'm on the Steam forums with this defense force bullshit.

EA is quite deliberately attempting to pretend that its DRM is merely an unintentional side effect of their true goal, which was of course only to "enhance the playing experience." Moreover, they're doing this as a reaction to a specific scandal, as damage control. They used this same song and dance during the launch of Origin, as I recall. It's obviously bullshit.

In my view, that is very distinct from Steam claiming that its service isn't DRM, but is instead something different—they still clearly acknowledge it as copy protection (they specifically use the term "anti-piracy"), and have never in all their years of existence tried to pretend that that copy protection is only a side effect of the wonderful services they're offering. They know we know it's copy protection and have never attempted to claim otherwise.

There is probably nothing you say to convince me that EA's approach is directly comparable to Steam's, because in my experience Valve has been much more intellectually honest with their service. If your only response to this is to assume that I'm a fanboy, rather than to examine your own logic, then... well, this is an Internet forum conversation. It doesn't matter, really.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
ea4sian.gif

Ketonen ja Myllyrinne :D

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Better than GOG?

I actually prefer Steam to pretty much any other digital distributor. I just much prefer using the Steam client, simply because it feels much more organised than retail games, it makes updating my games easier (although I hate the fact that there's no way to revert to previous updates), the integrated community features are nice and if I start a download I can rest assured it will continue without issues unless my internet itself experiences a fault. I've had issues with downloads on pretty much every other dd I've used; gamersgate's South African servers don't even work half the time, the GoG downloader randomly pauses downloads for absolutely no reason (especially an issue if you attempt to leave it running overnight) and Origin seems to have a max download rate of 50kbps.

All in all, I'm willing to put up with the fact that I have to launch my games through Steam because of the convenience the actual client provides me.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I haven't had any trouble with GOG. I just think Steam sets this precedent where you have to have this program running in the background to play games. So now every publisher is going to want theirs and pretty soon people will have 3-5 programs all running on their computers collecting data and eventually advertising. Customers will deal with because they'll all do it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Valve wants you running Steam because they want you using the community features. That's how they gain dedicated fans, and "whales". They want you connected to other gamers convincing each other to buy games, to play more, to buy hats, to make mods etc. If they just wanted DRM they are easier ways of doing it. Also, shoving the store if your face doesn't hurt them either.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I'm ok with the store that gives me -75% sales.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Valve wants you running Steam because they want you using the community features. That's how they gain dedicated fans, and "whales". They want you connected to other gamers convincing each other to buy games, to play more, to buy hats, to make mods etc. If they just wanted DRM they are easier ways of doing it. Also, shoving the store if your face doesn't hurt them either.

Sorry, but how does Steam shove the store in your face? The pop-ups that come up after you exit a game or open the client? Because aside from those, no marketing takes place in the client unless you go directly to the Store page yourself. I've been using Steam since 2007 when I first bought the Orange Box, and in the period from then up until getting my credit card in 2011 I never once saw the Steam store and didn't even know they had such amazing sales. When I saw the holiday sale in Summer 2011 I almost creamed my pants.

I also don't see how me recommending games to my friends via Steam chat is any different to doing so via a face to face meeting or text message, because if I want to recommend a game to friends I'm going to do it regardless of whether Steam chat is available or not.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The only really good feature of steam is that you can vote for greenlighting promising games from bro indie developers, like Underrail.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Ketonen ja Myllyrinne :D

Yeah, a rather fitting comedy sketch to use, even if there's no direct equivalent for the "kusta silmään" idiom in the english language - it does get the point across. :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is probably nothing you say to convince me that EA's approach is directly comparable to Steam's, because in my experience Valve has been much more intellectually honest with their service. If your only response to this is to assume that I'm a fanboy, rather than to examine your own logic, then... well, this is an Internet forum conversation. It doesn't matter, really.

No, I'm fully capable of seeing your point. It's a good one. I still think it's a logical comparison on a lot of levels but the honesty difference is striking, you're right.

Like I said, I support Steam and would never support Sim City even if it was a fantastic game, so we don't disagree. I just wanted to point out the games as a service goal was the same, but yes, Valve is being more honest about it and more importantly less strict in the tightness of their grasp. I personally will always prefer the GOG method of simple exes, just like MP3 songs, but Steam is far from a deal-breaker for me simply because I trust it to work here and now and be around long enough I might never need to crack it, or if I do it will be so far down the line no one will care.

Dexter

Arcane
EA is about to be voted the "Worst Company in America" the second time in a row and defend its title this year, as well as get another Golden Poo for the trophy room: http://consumerist.com/2013/04/05/worst-company-in-america-semifinals-ea-vs-ticketmaster/

As such, they are starting with the dommage control early this time around: http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

We Can Do Better

The tallest trees catch the most wind.
That’s an expression I frequently use when asked to defend EA’s place in the gaming industry. And it comes to mind again this week as we get deeper into the brackets of an annual Web poll to name the “Worst Company in America.”
This is the same poll that last year judged us as worse than companies responsible for the biggest oil spill in history, the mortgage crisis, and bank bailouts that cost millions of taxpayer dollars. The complaints against us last year were our support of SOPA (not true), and that they didn’t like the ending to Mass Effect 3.
This year’s contest started in March with EA outpolling a company which organizers contend is conspiring to corner the world market on mid-priced beer, and (gulp) allegedly waters down its product. That debate takes place in bars – our audience lives on the Internet. So no surprise that we drew more votes there.
Let me cut to the chase: it appears EA is going to “win.” Like the Yankees, Lakers and Manchester United, EA is one of those organizations that is defined by both a legacy of success, and a legion of critics (especially me regarding all three of those teams).
Are we really the “Worst Company in America?” I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this.
Some of these complaints are 100 percent legitimate – like all large companies we are not perfect. But others just don’t hold water:
  • Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It’s not. People still want to argue about it. We can’t be any clearer – it’s not. Period.
  • Some claim there’s no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
  • Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.
  • We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really…
  • In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.
That last one is particularly telling. If that’s what makes us the worst company, bring it on. Because we're not caving on that.
We are committed to fixing our mistakes. Over the last three weeks, 900,000 SimCity players took us up on a free game offer for their troubles. We owed them that. We’re constantly listening to feedback from our players, through our Customer Experience group, Twitter, this blog, or other sites. The feedback is vital, and impacts the decisions we make.
I expect the debate will include a lot of comments under this post. But here’s the truth: each year EA interacts with more than 350 million gamers; Origin is breaking records for revenue and users; The Simpsons: Tapped Out and Real Racing 3 are at the top of the mobile charts; Battlefield 3 and FIFA are stunning achievements with tens of millions of players; and SimCity is being enjoyed by millions of passionate fans all over the world.
Every day, millions of people across globe play and love our games – literally, hundreds of millions more than will vote in this contest.
So here’s my response to this poll: We can do better. We will do better. But I am damn proud of this company, the people around the globe who work at EA, the games we create and the people that play them.
The tallest trees catch the most wind. At EA we remain proud and unbowed.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Once again passive aggressive blaming of their customers. Great job EA :hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom