Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

long games

icland15

Novice
like ff8, card based games, and popular ones

Saran

Scholar
RUN NOW CHILD,WHILE YOU STILL HAVE YOUR SANITY!

Edit: Rex recommends Baldurs Gate down below,one of the greats (IMO), but if you want a game with bucket loads of well written dialogue and a thought provoking story, give Planescape Torment a go, but be advised, if you dont like to read, dont get it, it doesnt have any of the shiny graphics and cutscenes that are so common to the FF series.

If you want to disappear into a world, only to emerge as a broken man try The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind , it doesnt have the best dialogue in the world and the ending is a bit of a let down but if you want to live in a world packed full of detail, with varying cultures and, if you like your shiny things, reasonably good graphics its well worth your time, but when i said the dialogue was a bit iffy i wasnt kidding, if that doesnt bother you i have no doubt that it will swallow you up and leave you as a dry husk, terrified of the pain natural light brings.

If you want to give MMORPGS a go, and your a fan of the whole bug eyed woman look that the japanese seem to love so much you might want to take a look at Ragnarok, but i would ask the other lads around here what they think of it if i were you since i havent played it.

There, now i wont have to worry about Deathboy thinking im an arsehole after he said all those nice things in the other thread. :lol:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Ew, FF8? Come on, at least FF7 had some semblence of style.

But anyway, I can't think of any card-based RPGs besides the later Final Fantasy games. If you want a long game, and a good one, I'd recommend the Baldur's Gate series.

Saran

Scholar
Ahaa, i knew there was a game that i had forgotten about, isnt Etherlords the one that has FF style combat and stuff?

If so, that will probably suit your taste in games a hell of a lot better than the other stuff i mentioned icland15.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Saran said:
Ahaa, i knew there was a game that i had forgotten about, isnt Etherlords the one that has FF style combat and stuff?
Yup, and it's kinda like those dueling card games as well. So he'll lap it up like a cum eating fetishist at a bukkake party.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh shit. You know, Saint, we should have covered Etherlords 2 when it came out. I think an Etherlords 3 is in the works, and it looks a lot more interesting than the first two.

bgillisp

Scholar
Try Betrayal in Krondor, or Betrayal in Antara. They are both pretty long. Though, the first game is over 10 years old, so not up to today's graphical standards.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I loved BIK but wasn't too fond of BIA. Just didn't have the love poured into it that the first one did. I couldn't even finish it. Krondor is a wonderful game as is the book series though.

bgillisp

Scholar
I will agree that BIA is worse than BIK, but it is still decent in my opinion. Good for a one-time playthrough, and it will occupy some time.

On that note, anyone know how to get BIK working on XP? I just get a blank screen even on Dosbox.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
I loved BIK but wasn't too fond of BIA. Just didn't have the love poured into it that the first one did. I couldn't even finish it. Krondor is a wonderful game as is the book series though.

You know what, I paid money for Return to Krondor. Its still sitting on a shelf someplace because I couldn't get past the first chapter. Anyone here think its worth it for me to go back and try to play it, at the time I just found the camera angle to difficult to work with, I think. I probably didn't even put in hour into it.

Arkan

Novice
Saran said:
, it doesnt have any of the shiny graphics and cutscenes that are so common to the FF series.

It does have some of the long spell cutscenes though :).

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I agree. I couldn't finish the book either. I loved the Magician Apprentice series so I thought Return to Krondor would be good, but it wasn't.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
Oh shit. You know, Saint, we should have covered Etherlords 2 when it came out. I think an Etherlords 3 is in the works, and it looks a lot more interesting than the first two.

I dunno. I just don't see how flipped cards and trying to beat the other guy's card is much in the way of a CRPG.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Didnt they have a plot and some character dev? They must be rpgs dammit!!

Edit: must add following smiley winkey thing in case someone gets angry with me and fer crying out loid I dont get the posts vs sarcasm thing oh GOD HELP MEEEEE

----> :wink: <-----

Saran

Scholar
Shagnak said:

Dont be such a freshman-bitch, go drink your Latte Freshman-bitch, hey, sonic the hedgehog had rings, that was a plot fag, RPG Codex, more like FAG Codex you freshman bitches. :lol:

Edit: Nah, im not that fella, though then again. maybe your were being sarcastic, in which case, spank my arse and call me Sarvis!

Edit part deux: Tassle please!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
WTF?
Could this be the evil truth that has been bubbling under our asses for so long??
Saran = Roqua?

Oh my god, it is INSANE! :shock:

Edit after Saran's edit (above): me = sarcastic mofo. Hi Sarvis. Would you like that spanking with a paddle or this specially manufactured spanking tassle?

Deathboy

Liturgist
Shagnak said:

I'm getting sick and tired of all you wankers who don't know sarcasm

check

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6777

Edit: after all them fella's I'm still getting sick and tired of fuckwits who can't handle sarcasm
so check above link, as a tempter it does contain sarvis making a pilick of 'im self

icland15

Novice
thanks

i'll do my best to find ragnarok and uhh those other ones i copied your message, and i thank you again for your help

Greatatlantic

Erudite
dojoteef said:
I agree. I couldn't finish the book either. I loved the Magician Apprentice series so I thought Return to Krondor would be good, but it wasn't.

Book? I meant the computer game actually. Though I went through a phase where I read a lot of Fiest's stuff, mainly because I thought BaK was pretty good. He has a pretty well fleshed out world to work with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom