Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still like using bishops as spares in Wiz1-3.

Casual Hero

Augur
Prisoners of the Battles freaking rocks.

The loot randomization system is seriously so addicting, and completely reinvigorated my love for the dungeon-crawl. The Steam release of PotB also looks so crispy and high-quality, especially in comparison to the unfortunate remake of Wizardry PGotMO that we just got.

Has anyone here played The Absence of Misericordia? I understand that it is supposed to be a more straight-forward and traditional Wizardry scenario. Do you think it is worth buying and playing?
I'm especially curious about the new soundtrack that the Steam page is talking about. Was this new music present in the original scenario, or is it brand-new for this Steam DLC?

I wasn't really thrilled with any of the Five Ordeals scenarios, even though I love the game engine that they are built in, whereas I totally fell in love with Prisoners of the Battles (seriously, I think I like it more than Wizardry: Proving Grounds). Where would The Absence of Misericordia fall on this spectrum?

Casual Hero

Augur
I got bored during class today, and started thinking about what makes a good map in a Wizardry game.

I've talked about the first floor of Wizardry 1 before, and that is kind of my mental reference when I think about good first level design. The first floor of the Proving Grounds is split up into 4 rough quarters, and each of these 4 parts of the map feature slightly different types of maze design. Because of this, I feel like it is relatively easy to orient yourself, as each part of the map has its own "feel".

I decided to start drawing, as if I was designing the first floor of a new Wizardry-clone. I've essentially copied everything that I could think of that Wizardry 1 does in its first floor; 4 segmented areas that feature distinct styles, and slowly introducing new gameplay mechanics. While the actual architecture of my map probably isn't perfect, I think I did pretty good at capturing the correct philosophy.

map.jpg

Assume that behind every door, there is a chance to encounter a monster guarding a chest, just like classic Wizardry.

The player starts at 0,0, as tradition dictates. Directly down the hall to the east are the stairs that lead to level 2, but the door is locked. In order to unlock this door, you have to get the key which is kept at 11,3. This is notated by the star.
The opening area is similar to the bottom-left quadrant of Wizardry 1: long hallways and doors that lead to very simple single rooms. Good for grinding and gathering gold when you're just starting out.

The red area above this is characterized by connected square rooms, with lots of doors (and consequently, lots of potential encounters). These connected square rooms might be a little disorienting for a new player, but it is actually very simple and quick to map out in actual play.

In order to actually progress, the player must make their way to the upper-right blue area. Here we have a very simple and open maze structure. Because of the lack of rooms, the main focus here is on mapping it out. I think that I could have added some dark areas to this location to make it a little more interesting. Eventually, the player will find the one-way teleporter 1 which will take them to 2. After exploring the small annex area at the top here, the player teleports one-way from 3 to 4.

Now the player ends up in the green area in the bottom-right, which is only accessible via the one-way portals. Here, they will find the key to Floor 2. This area also slowly introduces the player to one-way doors, which they will eventually find plops them back out into the starting yellow area. Hopefully this will feel like an "Aha!" moment. The player will be able to quickly rest up in town from here, and then jump straight to the second Floor. You won't need to back-track through the entire floor again to get back to the stairs.

And... now I kind of want to draw another 9 maps to go with this. :)

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Dimguil has been on my bucket list for years. I love the dark fantasy art in that game, how absolutely demonic and deranged the encounters look, and the overall eldritch horror aesthetic. I may try it with ztranslate at some point if it doesn't get picked up for translation.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Damn shame about the OP, pic links are fucked up. Someone didn’t pay their Photobucket bill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom