Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Dorarnae

Arbiter
trying the traveler's property scenario on wizardry five ordeal. I was expecting a chute on the first floor with the warnings the game gave, but wasn't expecting another chute on the second floor. I managed to get out alive but that was close lol.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I think I'll have to get a pen and some paper to draw those map, 4th floor was dangerous without being able to cast any spell at some place. and already some monster with level drain...this is harder than prisoners of the battle.

Ysaye

Arbiter
I think I'll have to get a pen and some paper to draw those map, 4th floor was dangerous without being able to cast any spell at some place. and already some monster with level drain...this is harder than prisoners of the battle.

My first lot of adventurers were wiped out on level four (in the beta phase) and I still have not returned for their bones.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
floor 7 layout doesn't seem too bad but the monster are brutal. breath for 30-40 dmg and can hit for 80, wow lol. at least the experience is good, in particular the wisp.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
well I got my ass kicked on floor 8. thief failed to disarm alarm trap and the monster it called were just insane. red snake group casting mega freeze and minor ghost who cast giga freeze

turkishronin

Arcane
Ame No Mihashira is a shit game but I haven't played any Wizardry game that had dungeons spanning horizontally
Is there any other Wiz games where dungeon floors aren't always vertical?
FherTOFWAAIz8Ni

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Waiting for Wizardry Variants...

SCOOBY
SHAGGY
FRED
VELMA
SCRAPPY

There's a mystery.....

..... and it needs solving!

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Bought The Five Ordeals and Elminage Gothic. It'll be a long while before I beat all the original Wizardry games and get to these two, but it doesn't hurt to financially support incline. How would you guys rate T5O and EG when compared to games like the Dark Savant trilogy?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
T5O more like original 1-3/5 perhaps than Savant trilogy imho. I want to see what people create.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Bought The Five Ordeals and Elminage Gothic. It'll be a long while before I beat all the original Wizardry games and get to these two, but it doesn't hurt to financially support incline. How would you guys rate T5O and EG when compared to games like the Dark Savant trilogy?

I generally prefer Elminage Gothic (EG) to the games in the Dark Savant Trilogy because it is generally it feels to be a much tighter game. Some points:
  • One of the fundamental differences is that the Dark Savant Trilogy loses the only being able to restore spells etc. at a hub area and goes to a rest and save anywhere formula; this means that EG (and T5O) end up feeling grittier and you have the "bungie rope" sense of the original. Also with the Dark Savant Trilogy, the party you start with is what you have; you cannot create and have a bench of other characters.
  • EG uses a series of dungeons that open up that can be accessed from the main hub (where this is the only place you can save and rest) and can either be traversed downwards, upwards or both; some maps are outside but most maps are inside. Some people like the world approach used in Wizardry 7 and 8, but for mine if you want a world map blobber, I think the Might and Magic series generally does that better.
  • EG like the Dark Savant Trilogy increases the number of classes, but many of those class mechanics feel much more unique. Of course some of those classes feel very jrpg inspired (eg. the Summoner is basically a pokemon trainer class) and that can be offputting for some.
  • EG and the Dark Savant Trilogy has an expanded number of races with both expanding into the anthropomorphic range with werewolfs / rawulfs and the like.
  • The Dark Savant Trilogy is a sci-fi setting, whereas Eliminage Gothic is a "Gothic Horror" setting; personally I feel the Wizardry game mechanics probably fits the latter better.

I also prefer EG to T5O as (whilst T5O also has a high difficulty) there are more options with EG in terms of the classes and the effects and skills that they bring.

Viata

Arcane
How would you guys rate T5O and EG when compared to games like the Dark Savant trilogy?

Japs cannot into anything beyond endlessly remaking Proving Grounds except with cartoon little girls.
If only, look at that shit for phone. Not even close to Proving Grounds.
Then again, non-japs also don't make any Wizardry-clone games, anyway. I'll take another Proving Grounds clone over nothing any day.

mondblut

Arcane
If only, look at that shit for phone. Not even close to Proving Grounds.

I was referring to the poor schmuck asking if Proving Grounds-wannabe shovelware can be compared to the brilliance of David Bradley's Wizardry. When it comes to akshun shit, I do not doubt the japs' (or anyone else's) ability to deliver it in spades.

I'll take another Proving Grounds clone over nothing any day.

It takes to play one to play them all. It's like Jeff Vogel was a country.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Ame No Mihashira is a shit game but I haven't played any Wizardry game that had dungeons spanning horizontally
Is there any other Wiz games where dungeon floors aren't always vertical?
FherTOFWAAIz8Ni

Wizardry Xth (Operation Abyss and Babel) and Elminage both have horizontal attached levels. I suppose technically most of the Experience Inc. games do as well.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, tbh, it is a simple formula to remake. Take it to its base vector dungeon classic, core classes, mobs, 10 levels and you basically have your pnp as crpg.

But can we NOT expect the new owners to be ANIMEFYING Wizardry. It is what they do. If they would have bought all the Ultima and Might & Magic etc companies you'd see the same thing (plenty of examples as is from the past).

We're goung to have to rely on third-party copycats for non-anime. (Or some creative modders).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom