Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a good Offline RPG...

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Forgive me, but I insist that my question is adequate. If you affirm with such certainty that there is no such thing as an online RPG, then you should know what is a RPG, correct? It is only logical.
An RPG is...Anything with stats, levels and hit Points. This has been determined by the hivemind that is NOT the codex. Studies have been done. Lives were lost. The truth was finally discovered. It is an uncomfortable truth.

That is all.

/thread

Gregz

Arcane
Hey, I don't actually know this thread would fit in this category, but I'm giving it a go.

I'm looking for a 2D or 3D OFFLINE RPG that plays like an MMORPG, which means:

1) A wide variety of classes: maybe like 14~25 different classes
2) A lot of quests, but mostly side quests and no main quest
3) Items and equipments that are upgradable and rare
4) Farming (?) for money, levels, items, etc
5) Stats can be assigned to your liking
6) There is a skill tree, so it isn't predtermined (so customizable)
7) Almost endless levels... you can get stronger and stronger

I would like it a lot too if the theme of the game wasn't "Dark" per se. More "cute" and "bright" is the RPG I like. MapleStory is the game I really liked and I wonder if there is a game like that offline?

Thank you, any suggestion would be wonders to me.

Daggerfall
Sacred 2 + Expansion
Wizardry 8
Zangband
Diablo II + Median XL Mod
Titan Quest + Expansion

Newfag-er

Liturgist
There is a big difference between hack and slash and a open world rpg

Most Hack and slash/grinding is put there to make you like the open world part of most offline rpg, at least according to my perspective.

If there is one game that manage to integrate both enjoyment of combat/grinding and the thrill of discovery well, I can't say it frankly because it's not a Crpg.(not made for the computer)
So therefore, Kingdom of Amaular should be :pete:

johnhagner1992

Literate
Thanks for all your comments guys! I looked and looked EVERYWHERE, and landed on a great Indie game called Recettear.
This game includes both Simulation of running a business as WELL as Dungeon Crawling, which I really enjoyed.

Now I'm on a hunt for a new game, possibly includes:
- a lot of items
- many customizable characters/classes

I've seriously played every single game out there: Diablo, Fallout, Fable, Elder Scrolls, PoE, Torchlight, Titan Quest, The Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass Effect... I just can't find any more good ones.
I'm now looking at the JRPG genre... cuz I can't find any more.
-ATM downloading Ys Origins.

And DraQ, I'm sorry if I come of condescending. Any implications I may have given are honest mistakes.

But I also did love Recettear, where there is Simulation aspect and an RPG dungeon crawling aspect. If there are more games like this, please recommend some for me!!

I feel like I've played so many different games there just isn't left one for me now..

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
An RPG is...Anything with stats, levels and hit Points. This has been determined by the hivemind that is NOT the codex. Studies have been done. Lives were lost. The truth was finally discovered. It is an uncomfortable truth.

That is all.

/thread
I guess Deus Ex, VtMB and Age of Decadence aren't rpgs then. Shame.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Buy a psp/ps2(PC with emulator would work too) and delve into JRPG genre. You could find various recommandations on our Japananese games forum. My first recommendation would be Final Fantasy Tactics. It's a great game that fits many of your categories.

johnhagner1992

Literate
Buy a psp/ps2(PC with emulator would work too) and delve into JRPG genre. You could find various recommandations on our Japananese games forum. My first recommendation would be Final Fantasy Tactics. It's a great game that fits many of your categories.

Already played:
- Most of the FF series,
- Final Fantasy Tactics: Wings of Liberty / The war of the Lions
- Kingdom Hearts
- Persona
- Chrono Trigger
- Xenoblade... etc

But I'm already sick and tired of turn based rpgs, where many of the JRPG are.
I'm actually downloading a game called Ys Origins atm which is an Action JRPG.

funkadelik

Arcane

Already played:
- Most of the FF series,
- Final Fantasy Tactics: Wings of Liberty / The war of the Lions
- Kingdom Hearts
- Persona
- Chrono Trigger
- Xenoblade... etc

But I'm already sick and tired of turn based rpgs, where many of the JRPG are.
I'm actually downloading a game called Ys Origins atm which is an Action JRPG.
Seems like you need to head over to our JRPG Weaboo Section. This is the manly RPG section.

DraQ

Arcane
Thanks for all your comments guys! I looked and looked EVERYWHERE, and landed on a great Indie game called Recettear.
This game includes both Simulation of running a business as WELL as Dungeon Crawling, which I really enjoyed.
But I also did love Recettear, where there is Simulation aspect and an RPG dungeon crawling aspect. If there are more games like this, please recommend some for me!!

I feel like I've played so many different games there just isn't left one for me now..

Ah, so ad-plant it is.

Would it have hurt you to tell us right away? I mean seriously now - your disguise didn't even last full four posts.

And DraQ, I'm sorry if I come of condescending.
Nonono. You get it all wrong. It's *me* that's being condescending.

I'm not sorry, though.
Besides, it's pretty much Codexian national sport.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Sounds good to me, as long as farming is optional and doesn't consist of killing the same monster a thousand times for the rare armor that has 1% chance of dropping.
Using the probability mass function for the binomial probability distribution with p=0.01, we have f(0; 300, 0.01) = (1-0.01)^300 = 0.04904089. That means that you if were to farm 300 monsters, where each monster has a 1% chance of making the rare armor drop (the favorable outcome), there would only be a 5% chance there would be exactly 0 drops, so a 95% chance of one or more rare armors dropping.

Even for 100 monster kills, we have f(0; 100, 0.01) = (1-0.01)^100 = 0.3660323, so a 100% - 37% = 63% probability that one or more armors would be dropped within the 100 monster kills.</probability>

I know that the 1% drop rate was made-up, I just like solving problems and answering rhetorical questions.
More relevant to the OP's question, I think that Divine Divinity would qualify, especially in terms of the skill system. I haven't played it yet, although I bought it during a sale and added it to my to-play list.

Edit: Mount & Blade: Warband could also fit the requirements. I'm giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.
There are no actual classes, just skill combinations you can choose. Anyone can train in any skill (similar to Oblivion, but without the class system that favors certain preferred skills)
Jackpot. Quests are randomly selected from the available pool, and you can help merchants, peasants, guild leaders, lords, and kings.
Item are not upgradeable, but there exist rare and expensive items.
You can defeat bandits or enemy armies for harvesting their loot.
You can raise any stat (like in Diablo, but the effect is the same for all characters) and train in all skills.
Nope. There is just a list of skills that are available to anyone. Each skill has a minimum stat requirement.
It's a sandbox game so you're free to play ad infinitum.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Dungeon Lords and Wizardry 8 do come very close to what he is describing.

Though even with a shortage of true RPG's, I would never ever turn to the JRPG ghetto.

(Well except Etryan Odyssey and maybe that one Shin Megami something.)

I dunno dragonbro, the bullet points seem ok, apart from "farming" which can turn sour if badly implemented (the fact he included a "?" tells me he actually means just being able to become super rich/strong if you work into it)

Almost every RPG has you become too strong at one point, I don't see a problem in letting the player fully indulge in that if he wants to. You want to grind until you're level 9000? Sure, why not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom