Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a Good Ol' RPG

I could have asked this in the ESF forums, but I'm sure I would've received a response like "Just close your eyes while playing Oblivion and pretend you're involved in a deep, engrossing storyline", so I'll ask this here instead. I'm looking for some good (or classic) RPG's to tide me over until the middle of next year. Age and graphics aren't a factor as long as the gameplay holds up. I generally dislike JRPG's (though the Shining Force series was ok), so I'll pass on those. Anyway, here's a list of RPG (or RPG-like) games that I own off the top of my head, to pre-empt some suggestions (not in numerical order):

1. Starflight
2. Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
3. Temple of Elemental Evil
4. Baldur's Gate I and II
5. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2
6. Fallout 1 and 2
7. Morrowind and Oblivion (groan)
8. Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
9. Icewind Dale 1 and 2
10. Fable (uggh)
11. Wasteland (though I no longer have it)

I just purchased Arcanum, and I plan on getting Planescape: Torment at some point on Ebay. I already have Neverwinter Nights 2 on my plate, so I'm looking for one or two more CRPG suggestions.

I have noticed, thanks to one of the stickied posts, that there's a website that allows you to download old/abandonware games. I remember using Underdogs about 5 years ago and I got hit with a virus; I'm sure its probably safer now, but is it generally safe to surf that site (I use Firefox)? Though if I do see an ad showing a hot chick with a nice rack, I will HAVE to click on it.

Also, will I need any additional software (emulators or whatever) to play the older games? I recall downloading an older game years ago and it ran like a speed demon. Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions yous' guys will be able to provide.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I see you have not played a single Wizardry. Your CRPG lore is missing a large and important piece of knowledge. Fix this by playing Wizardry 6 to 8. Also, I do not see Lands of Lore on your list, another game you ought to play.

bowmont

Novice
Arcanum is great, you won't be disappointed with your purchase. Try the Ultima series (6 & 7 are quite good). Darklands is excellent and you should also try some of the Wizardry games, not sure which are good (never played them unfortunately).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah, after looking at VD's link:
Get Bloodlines, Ultima 7 (Black Gate AND Serpent Isle, but especially Serpent Isle), Gothic 1 and maybe 2 and Daggerfall. Do not forget a flavour of Wizardry; part eight should be in a bargain bin somewhere.

Also, while it is not an RPG strictly speaking, get System Shock 2. In fact, EVERYONE should get System Shock 2. It's the best game ever.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
PST is all right, but if you play as a smart character (high wis or int) then it's pretty much a one time thing. I beat it, saw it all, and couldn't bring myself to play it again. Also, the middle and end felt much to rushed vs. the quality in most of the game's beginning. Still, good game for the first play through.

LCJr.

Erudite
I prefer Abandonia over HotU(which seems to be in coma now anyway).
http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php

For oldies I also suggest Darklands. Not so oldie but not too new either, Prince of Qin http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=29

Arcanum is flawed is so many ways it's really not funny. It's one of those games that you start off liking but then slowly all the flaws eat away your enjoyment like a cancer. Still you might like and if nothing else the CD makes a nice coaster.

Jasede said:
I see you have not played a single Wizardry. Your CRPG lore is missing a large and important piece of knowledge. Fix this by playing Wizardry 6 to 8. Also, I do not see Lands of Lore on your list, another game you ought to play.

I should have clarified that those are only the ones I own, and not the only ones I've played. I remember playing either Wizardry 3 or 4, and I recall not liking it that much due to the game having a major dungeon-like feel. Then again, you recommend the later Wizardry's, so I'll look into it and try it out. Lands of Lore is another one I'll look into, as well as Gothic II (which it seems many forum members are high on). Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!

EDIT:

I would have liked to have played Daggerfall, but honestly Oblivion has ruined my interest in any Elder Scrolls game for quite some time. Thanks Todd!

The Ultima games have always interested me (though I never got a chance to play any of them), but always had bad word-of-mouth concerning the game's bugs. Of the Ultima's, which is the best one and/or the one that doesn't necessarily require playing the previous games to get into the storyline?

Also, I notice many of the suggestions are of the sword-and-sorcery type, which is fine, but are there any other sci-fi cRPG's? Oh, and I'll definately try out System Shock 2 at some point.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jasede said:
Also, while it is not an RPG strictly speaking, get System Shock 2. In fact, EVERYONE should get System Shock 2. It's the best game ever.
Scary fucking game, even after all those years. Fantastic design.

Jetpilot said:
I would have liked to have played Daggerfall, but honestly Oblivion has ruined my interest in any Elder Scrolls game for quite some time. Thanks Todd!
It's a completely different game designed by a completely different team. Todd was a someone's coffee bitch back then.

Get Gothic 3 demo and definitely try Wiz 7 and/or 8. Wiz 8 should be easier to get.

Seboss

Liturgist
Damn you all. You tricked me in installing SS2 for the gazillioneth time. Now, where is that high res textures/models pack...

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Are you in the 10th Mountain?

The Underdogs is fine with Firefox. You might have to hold shift when clicking on a download link to allow the popup. DosBox is the program you need to run the old games.

Start with Ultima 6 and end at Ultima 7 (and expansions). The first 3 are just simplistic dungeon romps. 4 & 5 are jolly good fun but the dated graphics and UI might drive you nuts. 8 isn't bad, but it doesn't really move along the story. The Ultima 5 remake looks great from the couple hours I logged in but requires you installing Dungeon Siege which can be bought for 10 bucks these days. Also, give the Ultima Underworlds a try too. All of the Ultimas can be found easily at abandonware sites.

The first 5 Wizardy are just simple dungeon romps. Play 6-8 which are great but just note that they are very combat oriented in case that's not your thing.

I suppose there are some other good recommendations in the thread, but c'mon they don't compare with Ultima or Wizardy. Well maybe System Shock 1&2 do.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
If you're looking for good old games there's a stickied thread in General Discussion with a pretty good listing and links. Look under RPGs

LCJr.

Erudite
Chinese Jetpilot said:
Also, I notice many of the suggestions are of the sword-and-sorcery type, which is fine, but are there any other sci-fi cRPG's? Oh, and I'll definately try out System Shock 2 at some point.

Sci-Fi games are few and far between sadly. Hopefully someone will suggest some I'm not aware of.

You've done the first Buck Rodgers how about the second? Matrix Cubed is supposed to be better and not so heavy on the combat.

If you're familiar the the Traveller PnP system there's the two MegaTraveller games, Zhodani Conspiracy and Quest of the Ancients. Or the other GDW franchise Space 1889.

Seems there was also an Ultima engine offshoot. Avalon? Or Mars something?

FrancoTAU said:
Are you in the 10th Mountain?

Yes. I'm home for the next couple of weeks, so I'm trying to cram personal free time with some RPG gaming during this span.

Thanks for the general description of the Ultima games; I just purchased Wizardry 8 online, and I've decided to download Ultima 7 Black Gate+ Serpent Isle, and Betrayal at Krondor. The other suggestions I'll have to try out when I complete these.

kingcomrade said:
If you're looking for good old games there's a stickied thread in General Discussion with a pretty good listing and links. Look under RPGs

Nice list. I noticed Star Control 2 on there. I've read that it was heavily inspired by Starflight; in what way does it improve upon it, or is it just a bland carbon-copy?

LCJr said:
Sci-Fi games are few and far between sadly. Hopefully someone will suggest some I'm not aware of.

You've done the first Buck Rodgers how about the second? Matrix Cubed is supposed to be better and not so heavy on the combat.

If you're familiar the the Traveller PnP system there's the two MegaTraveller games, Zhodani Conspiracy and Quest of the Ancients. Or the other GDW franchise Space 1889.

Seems there was also an Ultima engine offshoot. Avalon? Or Mars something?

Heck, I didn't even know there was a Buck Roger's sequel. In fact, I've never even heard of any of those games you mentioned. What's the official name of the sequel? Is it available on any of the abandonware sites, because Underdogs seems to be down, and it isn't on Abandonia. I'm really looking for a sci-fi cRPG to balance out the traditional cRPG settings, so any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have a quirky habit of playing three or four RPG games at a time, and cycling between them depending upon which I'm in the mood for.

Someone may mention Starflight 2, but to be honest my initial impressions of playing it (many years ago) was that it was a more cartoonish take on the original Starflight, with even goofier species and more "humor", which turned me off to it.

LCJr.

Erudite
Looks like Underdogs is still up. Buck Rodgers Matrix Cubed
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1394

MegaTraveller1 Zhodani Conspiracy
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=697
or
http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/660/M ... piracy.htm

MegaTraveller2 Quest for the Ancients
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=698
or
http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/851/M ... cients.htm

A "Top Dog" on HotU but I've never tried it, Albion.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=35
or
http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/428/Albion.htm

Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams. Again never got around to it.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1293

Also a Top Dog. And once again I've never played it but the PnP version was entertaining.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1014

Well that would explain why it was down for me - -I had the wrong/old link to the site. Thanks for the true link to the site, and for informing me about Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed. It seems like that'll be my Sci-fi pick for now. I'm going to try Ultima: Martian Dreams once I finish this one.

With the most famous celebrities of the 19th century such as Dr. Sigmund Freud as your guide, you must explore the mysteries of Mars and find a way to get home.

You'd never see a game like that released now! That is, unless Sigmund Freud was a muscle-bound scientist wielding a plasma rifle.

Slylandro

Scholar
Buy Space Rangers 2. It's a lot like Star Control 2 except the universe is more dynamic and lively and there's more variety in gameplay (text adventure, RTS, turn based space combat, etc) but the story is a flimsy excuse and there are only like 8 races or something.

I'm having a problem playing Ultima VII: Black Gate and Serpent Isle. Whenever I try to run it through DOSbox, I receive the message:

Please remove your expanded memory manager before running Ultima VII. I get the message despite the fact that upon "installing" the game it lists that I pass all three status checks (one of which is extended memory). I tested Betrayal at Krondor without any issues. Anyone have a clue as to how to correct it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom