Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a Good Ol' RPG

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Oh, I forgot to mention that Ultima 7 has it's own weird memory manager so it won't run on DosBox. Some nutjob who I love made a special emulator that plays the complete U7 on Windows and even makes some nice improvements to the interface.

http://exult.sourceforge.net/download.php

It's pretty simple to get up and running.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
FrancoTAU said:
Ultima 7 has it's own weird memory manager so it won't run on DosBox.
Sure it will. Your dosbox.conf file needs to have the following info in the "dos" section:

Code:
[dos]
umb=true
xms=true
ems=false
Runs like a champ for me.

As far as recommended "good old" RPGs, I would add The Elder Scrolls: Arena to the list. Not quite as immersive as Daggerfall, but very solid gameplay and a free download: http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/d ... _games.htm

I have also spent many hours of my life playing Wizard's Crown, an oldie by SSI. Kind of a steep learning curve for the tactical combat, but if you've played any of the Gold Box games it shouldn't be too far removed.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Jasede said:
Also, while it is not an RPG strictly speaking, get System Shock 2. In fact, EVERYONE should get System Shock 2. It's the best game ever.

Heh, I just won a copy from Ebay, including a Box. Not original big box, though, but better then jewel and a manual which is mostly what you see. I'm probably going to half to dig out an Windows 98 computer to play it though, with all the fancy hardware my PC is running.

Greatatlantic said:
Heh, I just won a copy from Ebay, including a Box. Not original big box, though, but better then jewel and a manual which is mostly what you see. I'm probably going to half to dig out an Windows 98 computer to play it though, with all the fancy hardware my PC is running.

You cocksucker, I was watching that auction. I'm now looking at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=160051332483&rd=1&rd=1

Is that the original box, or is that the UK version? And if any of you bitches bid on it, I will rape you.

EDIT: Never mind, it says its a DVD case, which means it has to be some re-release or something; or perhaps even bogus.

Binary

Liturgist
I would also recommend Might & Magic 3-5, and also 6-7 (even though they're somewhat different).

Also give The Magic Candle 1-3 a go.

If you like puzzles, try Legend (released in the USA as Four Crystals of Trazere)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you REALLY like puzzles, try Dark Hearts of Uukrul. Damn best puzzles ever.

Concerning Ultima 7, how do you open the Blacksmith's chest? I have the key found in the Stables, but I'm still trying to learn the controls, so I have no clue how to use it to open the chest.

I'm sure its something completely obvious that I'm missing.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Find the key in your inventory, double click on it and the cursor should turn into a flurouscent green target hairs. Click on Chest.

FrancoTAU said:
Find the key in your inventory, double click on it and the cursor should turn into a flurouscent green target hairs. Click on Chest.

Thanks, I knew it was something obvious. So far I'm really liking the game. In fact, I'm hoarding virtually every item around because I have no clue whether or not it'll be necessary at some later point. My paper doll has a pitchfork strapped to his back, and my backpack has everything from tongs, books, and even horseshoes!

Well, i would recomend a very good, in my oppinion, game known as "Legacy: Realms of Terror" or something like that, as i do not remember the exact name right now. It could be described as a horror dungeon crawler in a survival horror setting. You can find it on the Underdogs, i think.

It is quite hardcore, very unforgiving, so challenging as to be insane in some parts, quite long, does not ever hold your hands, you may need a psy link with the developers in some areas, is somewhat inspired in Lovecraft's works and has a very cute Lovecraftian ending, most things you need are scarce AND you have a very small carrying capacity, and it will consume a lot of your life if you get into it.

And in my opinion it is a very good game that if had received more attention would have mean that survival horror RPGs would have been possible as a genre, and a very interesting one at that.

Just my two cents.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Chinese Jetpilot said:
FrancoTAU said:

Thanks, I knew it was something obvious. So far I'm really liking the game. In fact, I'm hoarding virtually every item around because I have no clue whether or not it'll be necessary at some later point. My paper doll has a pitchfork strapped to his back, and my backpack has everything from tongs, books, and even horseshoes!

Your welcome. Just don't spoil yourself by reading any walkthroughs. You shouldn't be stuck up on the main plot if you have any reading comprehension skills. You can become ultra uber in the game but it's not necessary to beat the game since it's not very combat oriented. Go off the beaten path, but just keep a a notepad or physical paper to keep you on track for the long term goal when you stumble upon the town/dungeon to move along the story. I personally found it to be my fave game of all time so I insist that you don't spoil such an opportunity at gaming greatness.

roguefrog

Liturgist
If you plan on playing Ultima, I recommend starting with Ultima IV and making your way to VII. (if you aren't a graphics whore)

Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar (play Sega Master System version)
Ultima V - Warriors of Destiny (play Lazarus remake, it is awesome!)
Ultima VI - The False Prophet (hopefully when you get here, the U6 Project remake will be finished)
Ultima VII - The Black Gate/Serpents Isle (Use Exult)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If you are using Exult, u can easily check for shortcuts they implemented in there....makes the game less of a click-fest and hunting for keys in you pack after 50 hour play session is a pain in the butt.

Binary

Liturgist
roguefrog said:
If you plan on playing Ultima, I recommend starting with Ultima IV and making your way to VII. (if you aren't a graphics whore)

Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar (play Sega Master System version)
Ultima V - Warriors of Destiny (play Lazarus remake, it is awesome!)
Ultima VI - The False Prophet (hopefully when you get here, the U6 Project remake will be finished)
Ultima VII - The Black Gate/Serpents Isle (Use Exult)

There is one big advantage of playing U456 on the same platform: you can import characters from one game to the next.

One thing about hoarding on Ultima 7: Unfortunately there is no place in the game where you can sell your "hoarded" items.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Yeah, about the only thing you can sell in U7 are gems, gold items and the odd quest items like a serpent venom vial.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I would recommend you a great game - Pokemon Silver or Pokemon Yellow(if you aren't graphic whore). They are entertaining RPGs only a little bit in japaneese style. You should download some GameBoy Emulator (like VisualBoy), than some roms and check it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom