Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

Ravielsk

Magister
Maybe they'll have their redemption arc now tho, the final content patch made some waves. Even Asmongold, who kept shitting on the game those last 6 months, was impressed and will give it another try. Let's hope for the best because without the bugs and glitches and performance woes and some bizarre balancing issues the game is a genuinely great soulslike.
"Redemption" is a bit too much of a strong word. "Salvage" would be more fitting. From what I can tell the game feels somewhat better than it did at launch. It feels a bit faster and in general I have to fight the controls ever so slightly less. The inclusions they made for the game are nice but from what I can tell its all very surface level.

The game still runs like trash on my rtx 4070 with constant stutter even with paired down settings. Pop in is absurdly bad, as in there is texture pop in happening in the middle of the Pieta cutscene. I still have to install mods to get rid of the sharpening and and other puke filters. The rebind feature is basic as fuck since it does not let me bind a sprint to holding down "O"(B on xbox) without having to rebind dodge to something else. Platforming is still 100% cancer and Pilgrims Perch is still an insane choice for the games introduction level.

The game has some bright spots but overall its still a 7/10 at best. For the 30 eurpoors I paid for it its reasonably good value, for the full 70€ its a scam of a game. Hence the "salvage arc", its still not great but at least its not a piece of shit now.

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
This badly needed a demo or a benchmark tool. I would like to play it but I am not sure how it will run on my machine. I guess I could pirate it to test the game but I am not really a fan of pirating games I intendo to buy down the line. A lot of people I know were scared due to the performance problems, I am not sure if they have been fixed.

Ravielsk

Magister
This badly needed a demo or a benchmark tool. I would like to play it but I am not sure how it will run on my machine. I guess I could pirate it to test the game but I am not really a fan of pirating games I intendo to buy down the line. A lot of people I know were scared due to the performance problems, I am not sure if they have been fixed.
They haven't. The game is still running very poorly even with performance mods installed and on my machine it regularly stutters due to (I hope) shader compilation. If you have anything less than a rtx 4070 you will have a bad time with it.
Or you will have to run through DLSS/FSR at 480p to get any kind of sensible performance.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The game still runs like trash on my rtx 4070 with constant stutter even with paired down settings. Pop in is absurdly bad
Stutter on 4070? That can only be shaders. IIRC game stuttered a bit on my first install (and then every driver update) but just for a few minutes. I guess it's dumb to let people play while shaders are compiling because then people are pissed. Instead they should've done it like any other game - a splash screen and 10 mins watching a progress bar. Just leave the game be for a few minutes after you first install it or upgrade drivers and you'll be fine.

I've never experienced any pop-in, not even on launch, so no idea what's causing that.

Ravielsk

Magister
I've never experienced any pop-in, not even on launch, so no idea what's causing that.
It could very well be my DDR4 RAM but even if that were the case that is still on the devs stupidly expecting everyone to have the highest speed RAM purely because they cannot be bothered to preload assets before a cutscene.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Between this and Wo Long having such a mixed reaction
Mixed reactions should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

People tend to treat Steam ratings like the typical 1-10/10 review scores but it's a completely different beast. 60% on Steam feels like 6/10 but what it actually means is the majority has actually liked the game and recommends it.

It shouldn't even need to be said around here. There are Codex classics that I could see being given a mostly negative or even overwhelmingly negative on Steam but all the positive reviews would be from people on here and other like minded individuals.

Just like when you see negative reviews and some guys are crying because their 20 year old toaster can't run Cyberpunk on ultra settings or the graphics aren't up to snuff or it's too hard, etc, etc.

Spike

Educated
Between this and Wo Long having such a mixed reaction
Mixed reactions should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

People tend to treat Steam ratings like the typical 1-10/10 review scores but it's a completely different beast. 60% on Steam feels like 6/10 but what it actually means is the majority has actually liked the game and recommends it.

It shouldn't even need to be said around here. There are Codex classics that I could see being given a mostly negative or even overwhelmingly negative on Steam but all the positive reviews would be from people on here and other like minded individuals.

Just like when you see negative reviews and some guys are crying because their 20 year old toaster can't run Cyberpunk on ultra settings or the graphics aren't up to snuff or it's too hard, etc, etc.
True, but I mean mixed reviews even in bastions of taste like here.

Spike

Educated
True, but I mean mixed reviews even in bastions of taste like here.
The best way to deal with mixed reviews is to buy the game, play for two hours and see for yourself. Never know if you join the 60% of fans or 40% of haters.
Agreed, and I was absolutely going to purchase the game. Just waiting for sale because I almost always do unless it's From or Itsuno or something.

EDIT: I either wait for a sale or for the "Complete" edition to come out with all DLC/expansions like with Team Ninjer games.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Lords of the Fallen is "The Outer Worlds" of the soulslike genre :P

After the last patch the positive rating went from 62% to 60% but according to big dick codexers the game was perfect on release :-D

:bravo:

Ravielsk

Magister
Lords of the Fallen is "The Outer Worlds" of the soulslike genre :P

After the last patch the positive rating went from 62% to 60% but according to big dick codexers the game was perfect on release :-D

:bravo:
According to the steam forums the game has a game breaking crash when reaching castle bramis and the new storage chest is bugged. Plus the multiplayer rewards are literary the biggest grindfest I have ever seen in a game like this. It takes 100 coins to get a tint for your armor and 400-500 to get a armor piece. Downing a boss rewards you 15 coins(some elite enemies randomly drop 1).

The devs flexing with "final milestones" and focusing on "future games" might not be the best move when you still have shit like this in your game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The devs flexing with "final milestones" and focusing on "future games" might not be the best move when you still have shit like this in your game.

The devs are complete retards.

https://hexworks.com/

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to hexworks.com. The web site is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the web site’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the web site, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the web site’s administrator about the problem.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Some of the absolute best level design in the entire genre, made only better by the addition of the Umbral world. Feels like an actual dungeon crawler the majority of the time. If you're an exploration lover such as myself, there's really no reason why you shouldn't try this game out someday at least on a deep sale. Then you add actual meaningful RPG mechanics and character progression, interesting atmosphere/art design, and a plethora of varied equipment on top of it all. Makes me wonder what exactly it is people prioritize in their expectations of the genre. I feel like fans of DS 1 - and particularly 2 - would enjoy what this has to offer, whereas DS 3 fans would be the major detractors.
This is hugely affirming for me. I'm one of those contrarians who loves DS2 but doesn't care for DS3 as much, I'll definitely check this one out when it goes on sale again.

Ravielsk

Magister
Alright so after additional 15 hours I have taken down the Spurned Progeny I think I am vaguely starting to see what the people praising are talking about. Calrath is a pretty neat level with some actually unique visuals(the walls lined with hands) and level design that goes a step beyond "hall way but sometimes you lantern/jump". It just highlights what a utterly trash area pilgrims perch really is and how it highlights all the worst points about the game.

That said the game is still mostly mid to trash. The balancing is absolutely atrocious on almost all fronts. The game gives the enemies damage output that on the low end needs 3 hits to drain all 600 points of my HP making estus charges essentially a lives system where I can take 5 hits before I can just call it quits because after that every subsequent hit is a borderline insta-death. The enemy placement has exactly one trick up its sleeve and that is to simply spambush me with ranged enemies at every turn. Basically what I am saying is that not element of this game fits into another, they are all at odds with each other.

Wanna know why people complained about easy bosses? Because the bosses have actual encounter design and do not just drop multi dogs/archers/warp zombies into the arena to simply overwhelm you. They are just normal fights with a minority of cheap tricks which makes them comparatively much easier than the rest of the game where such dirty tricks are the rule not the exception.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Alright so after additional 15 hours I think I am vaguely starting to see what the people praising are talking about.

images.jpeg

That said the game is still mostly mid to trash.

images (1).jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom