Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I'm confused. What exactly makes the tree a threat? It says, Eden: It's an Endless World! style, it can swallow up to 100k people to survive the apocalypse - but it's not actively reaching beyond Crete to devour people, it seems to wait passively?

^ Top  
  2. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    It's a bad idea because devouring 100,000 people and possible some gieloth (if devouring this branch means devouring whole tree) will corrupt Ean, after devouring Ean might have Dio's morality. But do we have a choice if Sun-sized spheres are coming through the rift in the near future?

Tigranes, the Tree destroys Earth in order to reach stars.

^ Top  
  3. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
    A well heres hoping we don't go crazy however unlikely that is

^ Top  
  4. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    This is unfortunate. I should've flopped to B.

On that note, what would option B have given us?

I'll go for A, but... well, it's not really ideal, even (perhaps especially) if it does work.

^ Top  
  5. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    Eating the tree will give us the strength necessary to defeat the sphere and kill the other tree in the east. Let's eat the sword too.

^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    What's your alternative? I voted to go after the giant sphere right away, and now Dagrun is marching into the wasteland. We have a six month time frame before the Tree siphons Earth's resources, so what do you suggest?

^ Top  
  7. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    So we've got six months until the Gielocalypse, maybe a bit more until whatever's happening at Olympus ends the world. (Side note: Olympus is now in Skanian hands, I guess? Weird. I wonder what Fenrir's doing there.) Powerleveling Ean seems like it might be necessary, and it's debatable whether we'll get another chance.

However, there is a big question of whether we CAN successfully eat the fruit of the poison tree. I'm reminded of that flow chart treave gave in the middle of the chapter 5, in which our ability to devour sufficiently powerful beings was dictated by how many "feed points" we'd accrued. In this chapter, we've consistently chosen the least feed-ish options. There is also a question of whether the consequences of a successful devouring here will be known to history as the Birth of Slaanesh.

Ineffectual protest vote for B. Personally, I'm holding out for Shulgi to invent steam-powered spaceships and then nuke Olympus from orbit with his steam-powered lasers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I'm sure the knowledge of the tree will help us somewhere down the line, yes, so as root says I don't think we should devour just because.

Again, what are our aims this chapter? Treave says Easy Mode is over and shit is going down - is it to save Earth at all costs, including Ean's morality? Is it to save as many as possible (including Ean)? Is it to become powerful enough at whatever cost to defeat the Big Bad?

Perhaps the choice is indeed become a monster to defeat another monster, but I don't think we know enough for it to be the decision to make right now. B.

^ Top  
  9. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Tigranes, to be honest, I have no clue what our goals are. I was hoping to go to Olympus so that we could have a better idea of the situation and maybe take the sphere out of commission while it's still small, but now I don't know what to do.

I have flopped to B, though. I'm not sure if we can even take this thing on, or whether its even worth it to do so.

^ Top  
  10. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    Our only other option to save the earth is to discover time travel and aid the Xia dynasty to prevent the tree from growing and that tear in reality from forming.

^ Top  
  11. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    treave, if we fuck up and Earth dies will the LP continue?

^ Top  
  12. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    You're right, A is a kneejerk, "oh shit, what do I do?!" choice and I highly doubt that this will save Earth. More likely than not, Ean will simply become too much of a threat for the Masters to ignore, and then they'll nuke Earth anyways. Instead of exterminating Earth due to the presence of the sphere, they'll exterminate Earth because of Ean - in the end, we'll have saved nothing. This is actually worse than the Gieloth tree sailing off into space because at least there humanity won't be extinct - if Ean successfully devours this thing, it will pretty much guarantee the extinction of the human race.

We've seen our Successors go insane from indulging in their hunger, and we were already close to becoming on the verge of that back when the symptoms of our condition reared their ugly head around Sekhenun. It's best to hold back and perhaps work with Shulgi/Dio to resolve things.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Indeed, and there's another reason not to go A:
    Bros, once we start eating it, we may not be able to stop and just go on to devour the whole damned thing, which will definitely overload our capacity.

Also, don't you get a feeling of deja vu here? Two massive armies at Olympus, one (undoubtedly) lead by someone close to Ean's power and with Zeus being present too. It's like a grimdark remix and I think this may be our second chance. Of course, this is suicidally optimistic, but I think we actually stand a chance as-is, as devouring even a hundred-thousand souls will have terrible effects on Ean, who was avoid his hunger as much as possible.

On the other hand, we may not be able to change much of anything without a powerup and the only one I can see is right here. I'd say that after three thousand years of ascetic starvation, Ean has enough self-control and a strong enough ego to withstand this. So I'm on the fence, but flopped to B for now.

^ Top  
  14. First, Baltika9, we aren't devouring 100,000 souls. The 100,000 are the people that will board the tree in the future. They are not a part of it now, so Ean would not be devouring them - only the tree.

Would this act corrupt Ean? Yes, but I don't think it would turn him into a mindless beast. Ean has been through 3000 years of torture without feeding and he learned meditation skills that enabled him to center his hunger inside anbar-shi. Things are different now from when we battled Marduk. Ean has a far greater control of the hunger. Plus, I don't think we have a choice. The gieloth are devouring the earth right now. Yes, they've said they'd transport 100,000 humans, but they'll be enslaved/eaten once they land. This is our one chance to stop them.

edit: Also, treave said that had we picked Olympus, we never would have been able to go to Crete - leading me to believe that either we are removed from the earth or the earth is destroyed.

Esquilax I highly doubt the masters will wipe the planet because we eat the tree. They haven't done it by now and the tree (the reason they wanted to wipe the planet in the first place) is full grown. At worst they might hunt us down and try to abduct us again, but that would be a small price to pay for the continued existence of earth - not to mention the millions of lives saved.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I can't really make up my mind, so I guess I'll be one of the silent voices for now. :M

^ Top  
  16. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    Floppin to B

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The ones that merged with it are far more numerous, I'd say, than 100,000 people, so that's even worse. We may simply not be able to handle that much power, see the feedpoints back from chapter five.
    It's a risky deal and a "Birth of Slaanesh" scenario isn't at all unlikely.

Edit: also, I'm rather surprised at how much Earth became fucked up in three thousand years. Just, wow.

^ Top  
  18. I saw the feedback points and while I think Ean might definitely run the risk of going a little nuts for a while (surprising that anyone objects to this considering how many forgot about Ean while playing Evil-Dick-Dio...), I think it would be a small sacrifice to save the planet and the 10s of millions of lives that will be ended once the gieloth ship launches. Besides, see my edit above. Ean is different now than he was then - he has far more mastery of the hunger.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Only we can't afford to have Ean lose control for even one single second. Right now we need to hustle up and deal with the Spaceballs before they pop into our reality. Then everyone is screwed, this is about more than just the Planet.

^ Top  
  20. We don't know that the "spaceballs" aren't already in our reality. They may exist elsewhere right now and be relatively harmless.

Also:
    They don't retain individuality once in the tree, as the guy said. If we devour it, we'll be devouring one entity. One extremely powerful entity, but one entity nonetheless.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Even worse, one extremely powerful entity may very well be able to overpower Ean's control.

^ Top  
  22. True, like Marduk could have had we devoured him too soon - though that could have succeeded as well. Again though, that was then and this is 3000 years later. Ean has learned control.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    He has far greater control of his hunger because he hasn't given into it. If he gives into it, especially to this extent, then the circumstances become completely different. As for Olympus, we would have been stuck there, but we also may have been in a position to capitalize on the situation. As treave said, it wouldn't have been a game over situation.

Let me explain: if Ean ends up like Marduk (which is what devouring would have resulted him) then he won't be the same guy, making the same choices he did before. We've seen hints as to what our hunger might cause when we nearly killed Sekhenun in a fit of rage, so I was suggesting that giving into our hunger might result in him going berserk. The Masters see him as an amusing aberration at the moment, but after devouring a 3,000 year old Gieloth Tree, he would potentially become a deranged and supremely powerful devourer - a threat that they cannot ignore. If I were in their shoes, I'd vaporize Earth too.

^ Top  
  24. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    We'd become Galactus if we ate the tree, guys.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    In other words: "Oooh, look at that murderous bear in the cage! I wonder what will happen in we punch him in the face? Oh, you can't reach us because you're in the cage, you poor thing. Let's poke hi- OH FUCK, HE BROKE THE BARS. KILL IT, KILL IT WITH FIRE!"

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.