Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Cassidy

Arcane
It is interesting, though. For a daughter to take after the mother and be considered beautiful, her mother would probably have to be a human. That doesn't mesh well with the Demon Lord's words that humans are like cattle... well, unless he is telling us something scandalous about himself. :roll:

Or maybe her mother is a renegade angel or an angel that found the sensual in the non-consensual of the Demon Lord. That would be totally

:desu:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Perhaps our character knows better than I do, and believes the Demon Lord could plausibly make good on his offers.

The army at his doorstep isn't the real threat, you are. If you fail to kill him, they will likely be routed and smashed by the demons. The only reason the demons have been pushed back this far is because you have been successfully assassinating his lieutenants defeating the mid-bosses on your journey. The Hero is quite literally the only thing standing between the Demon Lord and world domination, as these stories tend to go. If you fall, it is his victory.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Man I don't get you people

Why do you want to accept a dubious deal with a demon who promises us just half the world or his daughter, when we can just kill him, take the whole world for ourselves and his daughter as the first member of our harem.

Esquilax

Arcane
Why do you want to accept a dubious deal with a demon who promises us just half the world or his daughter, when we can just kill him, take the whole world for ourselves and his daughter as the first member of our harem.

Because that's not the choice being offered. C means fulfilling your destiny and defeating the Demon Lord as some sort of Hero, it says nothing about killing him to take his place and his daughter.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What have we learned here, folks?
“Oh, no.” With a cheeky grin, the red-haired martial artist spins away, her taut posterior wiggling slightly as if to taunt you. “I’m reserving my strength for a more important battle.”
We have learned that playing hard-to-get and mercilessly teasing the guy can result in the world getting fucked instead. If we got laid yesterday, a lot of unpleasant things could have been avoided. We are blameless here, it is all Mieren's fault.

Well, I'd like to have Kyle spared so that he could play the next hero (can't raise a hand against the fellow womanizer), take Lobelia and Mieren as concubines, and slaughter the rest of them (and maybe think up something special for the cleric), but the way these stories go, they will all escape safely to form La Résistance and turn into mid-bosses which we will have to hunt down ourselves in our free time to make up for all the demon ones we have defeated off-screen. *sigh*

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
An Offering to the King of Demons

“I would rather have your daughter instead,” you say, half in jest. Surely he would not agree. But if he did, you would consider the offer rather seriously. It would be as good as marrying into royalty. Sure, there was that little issue of possibly becoming the greatest traitor the human race has ever known, and betraying all that your comrades have died for, but would it not be easier to change the world by showing them that: yes, demons and humans can coexist?

That would be a nicely noble excuse to give everyone later on, you think to yourself in satisfaction. The perfect excuse for you to get your hands on those perfect spheres of magnificent wobbling.

The cube containing the Demon Lord’s daughter shudders as she unleashes a dazzling flurry of powerful punches and kicks on the dark walls, silently screaming what you can only assume to be demonic profanities. You begin to wonder if she might not actually do the impossible and break free. She has clearly picked up on your words – and perhaps your lecherous intent – and she does not like it. Not one bit.

The Demon Lord is silent, his massive bulk towering above you. When he speaks, it is in a slightly softer tone of voice than before.

“MY DAUGHTER, YOU SAY?”

“Yes,” you wink. “Your lovely daughter.”

“HM. A MERE HUMAN DARES TO ASK FOR MY OWN FLESH AND BLOOD?”

“A hero,” you correct him. “I am not without my strengths.” You would have wagered some money on him being angered by the very idea, but to your surprise, the Demon Lord actually appears to be intrigued. You are entirely unsure how this will play out now.

“I AM SURPRISED THAT THE THOUGHT EVEN MANAGED TO CROSS YOUR FEEBLE LITTLE MIND, HERO. IT BEARS CONSIDERATION FOR THAT ALONE,” he muses. “BUT I AM AFRAID I MUST ASK FOR PROOF OF YOUR DETERMINATION.”

That’s right. He was never going to agree so easily. You saw it coming a mile away. “So it comes down to this, does it? I will not attack my comrades-“

“NO, I DO NOT REQUIRE YOU TO MASSACRE YOUR FORMER ALLIES. I ONLY ASK FOR A MATERIAL OFFERING TO DEMONSTRATE YOUR FEALTY. SOMETHING LIKE… YES, THAT EMBLEM OF THE GODDESSES YOU WEAR PROUDLY UPON YOUR CHEST.” A massive finger is raised towards you, pointing at the Hero’s Medal. “I WILL ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS.”

“This thing? It’s just a cheap piece of silver,” you say quickly. Why would he want the medal?

“THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM OFFERING IT TO ME.”

The Demon Lord is very insistent. Hesitantly, you place one hand over the Hero's Medal. There is something strange about it at the moment. The surface is warm, and it appears to be vibrating in a gentle yet somehow slightly menacing manner. When you close your hand around the medal and pull, the vibration begins to intensify. It feels like a warning to you: a warning not to betray your heart of justice, a reminder from the Goddesses to stay on the path of light. Are you doing the wrong thing? Is this an ill-advised rejection of your destiny? The act of merely thinking about giving the medal to the Demon Lord is causing you to sweat where a hundred-strong demon army had failed.

“IT LOOKS LIKE YOU CANNOT DO IT AFTER ALL?” The Demon Lord is not surprised: this does not seem to be an unexpected outcome for him.

“I…” Your fingers tighten around the Hero’s Medal…

A. You rip the Hero’s Medal off and throw it at the Demon Lord.

B. You leave the Hero’s Medal where it is.

Nevill

Arcane
Usually it's a "but thou must" or bad end--you know, "Good! Now hand over the Hero's Medal as a show of good faith!" "HERP DERP DERP OKAY" "And now, in a completely unexpected turn of events, I shall show you that faith in the literal embodiment of evil may have been somewhat ill-conceived!"
I will wait for the words of the Wise One. :M

But just so that we are clear...
Blessing of the Fates
Empowered by the three goddesses of fate, the life-threads of the chosen Hero are far more resilient than that of mere mortals, a trait that is manifested in the form of increased regeneration and vast mental fortitude.
I wonder where do our powers come from? :roll:

Nevill

Arcane
The blessing just makes you harder to kill.
How much harder? That's the question. :M

And what is that about the mental fortitude?

I suspect the Medal represents this blessing of the Goddesses and is the symbol of their favor. That means losing it will weaken us - here and now. Will it weaken us enough that the Demon Lord can get an advantage over us and avoid paying up?

But, demonic tsun-princess... :negative:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Increased resistance against any shady spells the demons might cast to influence your mind. So when you're lusting over demon tits, you know it's definitely your own mind at work and not some demonic charm spell, for instance.

Baltika9

Arcane
On the one hand, I don't trust the Goddesses:
The Demon Lord is very insistent. Hesitantly, you place one hand over the Hero's Medal. There is something strange about it at the moment. The surface is warm, and it appears to be vibrating in a gentle yet somehow slightly menacing manner. When you close your hand around the medal and pull, the vibration begins to intensify. It feels like a warning to you: a warning not to betray your heart of justice, a reminder from the Goddesses to stay on the path of light. Are you doing the wrong thing? Is this an ill-advised rejection of your destiny? The act of merely thinking about giving the medal to the Demon Lord is causing you to sweat where a hundred-strong demon army had failed.
On the other, I don't trust the Demon Lord:
B>A. After all, surely a demon lord's daughter ought to expect us to be adulterous, or polygamous.

I'm also curious as to what would happen with A, since in all the stories, the hero never actually accepts such a proposal. You usually tend to take the whole empire or to kill the villain.

Usually it's a "but thou must" or bad end--you know, "Good! Now hand over the Hero's Medal as a show of good faith!" "HERP DERP DERP OKAY" "And now, in a completely unexpected turn of events, I shall show you that faith in the literal embodiment of evil may have been somewhat ill-conceived!"
But I trust the literal embodiment of evil more. We bothered to come up with an excuse and it would be a shame if we wouldn't use it.
A

Nevill

Arcane
Increased resistance against any shady spells the demons might cast to influence your mind.
Brilliant. So the moment we take it off the Demon King can marry us to a pig and we might not notice the difference. :M

B! Now that we have made our intent clear, we'll just have to get the princess the other way.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, are these demons at all like devils in D&D? Can we trust them to honor their word? Or are we completely vulnerable to mind control shenanigans the moment we hand over the medal?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, are these demons at all like devils in D&D? Can we trust them to honor their word? Or are we completely vulnerable to mind control shenanigans the moment we hand over the medal?
They can definitely lie, and you have no idea how honorable the Demon Lord is. But you aren't exactly defenseless without the blessing, if indeed the medal is tied to it. To talk about it in terms of stats, your magic defense is too high for him to dominate you easily. Think of the blessing as granting a huge bonus to saving throws, but your innate stats as a high level Hero means that those numbers were already rather high in the first place.

Baltika9

Arcane
Man, now I regret not picking the brutal, Grim Warrior merc. We would have had the option of making the Demon Lord our queen.
Nah, the Grim Warrior would just humiliate him in front of his army. The Hedonist Noble, aka the literal Prince of Excess, would do that.

Esquilax

Arcane
Nah, the Grim Warrior would just humiliate him in front of his army. The Hedonist Noble, aka the literal Prince of Excess, would do that.

Dude, now I'm bummed that we missed out on playing as Slaanesh.

Baltika9

Arcane
There was no perfect choice there, to be honest, since all of them were cool concepts (personally, the only one I didn't like was the Carefree Merc). But this dude is pretty damn awesome, just gotta play his cards right and get our damn dragon lady adviser.

profreshinal

Arcane
treave where do the Divine Hero's Armor, Divine Hero's Sword and The Hero's Medal come from? Are they older or younger then the prophecy? specificly made for this mission or passed on from one hero to the next?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave where do the Divine Hero's Armor, Divine Hero's Sword and The Hero's Medal come from? Are they older or younger then the prophecy? specificly made for this mission or passed on from one hero to the next?

You got the medal from the High Priest when you were chosen over the candidates to be the Hero. You got the armor and the sword as an upgrade later on from the finest blacksmith in the land when you ruined your old set battling the Archfiend of Gloom. They don't seem to be hand-me-downs from previous generations as far as you are aware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom