Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
EDIT: Talking about experimentation: treave, does the C option allow us to take a few survivors so that Rin and Zayan can use them for "practice"? Just to know.
I would see it as highly inadvisable and unprofessional, seeing how the main reason for choosing C is to avoid potential risks. We should do this as cleanly as we could.

The Duke seems to be a tremendous power behind the throne and acts as a kingmaker.
It is also interesting that he had to act to make Feist recognized as a Crown Prince, even though logically he already was the First Prince and an official successor... or was he? Did His Majesty have other plans for succession?

The inner politics of Methuss appear interesting by the description alone.
Azira C>A1
Nevill A1>C
Gobblecock B1
Baltika9 C
lightbane B1>C
Lambchop19 C>B1
Grimgravy A1>C
asxetos B1>C
Kz3r0 C
Kipeci C
Storyfag A1
archaen A1>B1
Elfberserker B1>A1
Jester C
Esquilax B1>C
ScubaV B1>C
Greyviper C
Kayerts B1
Smashing Axe A1>B1
Absinthe C

A1 - 6 (1) Nevill (C), archaen (B1), Gobblecock (B1), Grimgravy (C), Smashing Axe (B1)
B1 - 6 (9)
C - 8 (10)

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I would see it as highly inadvisable and unprofessional, seeing how the main reason for choosing C is to avoid potential risks. We should do this as cleanly as we could.
True. This would work better with B1, but it seems C is going to win for sure.

Kayerts

Arcane
HISTORYPOST INCOMING -- STAND CLEAR

As for the Marquis, he's clearly a military prodigy, akin to this world's Hannibal or Alexander. Repelling an invasion from a rival power at only 21 years old is truly remarkable.

It's not really clear that this is true, at least not to the extent represented here. There are a largish number of successful commanders from pre-modern times who started in their teens or twenties and had considerable success around the time they started; a large number of the tasks involved in successfully leading a (pre-modern) army lend themselves well to aptitudes rather than skills. The reason it seems weird to us is that we very seldom have reason to put a young person in charge of an army today, and in fact doing so would be taking on a large, avoidable risk. (Since randomly selected people with limited skill development *aren't* usually talented, and the lack of experience means that we lack a particularly good filter for sorting the untalented majority from the talented minority.) Aristocracy sidesteps the problem of reluctance to giving unqualified people commands. :D More signiifcantly, being a commander in a setting where your enemies also are working off an aristocracy makes it much easier to stand out as an exceptional commander, since the likelihood of the opposing commander's incompetence is higher.

The French army at the end of the 17th century boasted, at least according to their records, 400,000 men if I'm not mistaken. Which source are you citing?

Here, I'll link a paper by John Lynn on the size of the French army in that era.

http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Lynn_01.pdf

It's worth noting that Louis XIV was an aberration of his time in many ways, including this one. Moreover, the 16th to 17th centuries saw unprecedented development in real world militaries (the "military revolution" alluded to in the paper), and as it notes, the largest French force mustered prior to 1632 was less than 75,000. My impression is that the setting we're in is multiple centuries older. So a question that may arise is, was the growth of militaries in that era a coincidence, or was it logically contingent on technological, social, and political factors that didn't exist until the mid-17th century? I'm inclined to guess the latter; a kingdom fielding 6-figure armies for anything outside an existential threat probably requires a few things to be true:

a) Infantry needs to be useful in a way that scales. (There aren't enough horses.)
b) Unarmored or lightly armored troops need to be useful in a way that scales. (There isn't enough armor, either.)
c) For the above two reasons, you probably need them to be using ranged weapons. And you probably need the ranged weapons to be firearms. Why? Training 125k dudes to do anything is pretty hard. It took a long time for firearms to strictly outperform trained archers (there's a famous example of the Duke of Wellington asking for a company of longbowmen during the Napoleonic Wars), but it is vastly easier to create a useful soldier in a few weeks or months if you're teaching him to shoot a gun than a bow, or (god forbid) if you're giving him a melee weapon that you expect him to wield in limited armor without shitting his pants.
d) There's some thought that improvements to fortification technology consequent to early artillery resulted in a siege-based style of warfare, which meant it required more manpower to run a war than was previously the case.

So there is some historical basis for believing the logistics represented in this game about demon tits might not have 100% verisimilitude. I recommend not caring about it. In conclusion, B1, making our dude murder his own men for the love of our depraved pet genius is cool.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
My impression is that the setting we're in is multiple centuries older.

Hardly so. It might be more advanced in some ways, more backwards in others, but this is not the sort of thing where you can make a direct comparison. I don't think you should treat the setting as an analogue of real world Europe in whatever century it might seem to be in, with precisely the same factors that shaped its developments, except with added magic. After all, going by that pace of advancement, the various kingdoms should have long invented computers and the internet by now. Alternate history this is not.

The paper was just to show that you don't need some sort of 'sprawling empire' as a prerequisite for fielding 100,000 men should the need arise, even in what might appear to be a pre-industrial setting.

I recommend not caring about it.

You could care, but it probably wouldn't matter anyway when a million-strong undead army that shits all over the art of logistics gets raised. :M

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A1 > B1

Treave is going to do the most sick, twisted shit with these characters, given how they started as happy-go-lucky types, the only way to go is down, fast. Forcing them to kill their comrades, whether it's just the commander doing it or the surviving company is going to warp their minds. It'd be a mercy to kill them all now, but it wouldn't be very interesting.

Esquilax

Arcane
A1 > B1

Treave is going to do the most sick, twisted shit with these characters, given how they started as happy-go-lucky types, the only way to go is down, fast. Forcing them to kill their comrades, whether it's just the commander doing it or the surviving company is going to warp their minds. It'd be a mercy to kill them all now, but it wouldn't be very interesting.

I agree and I love the potential for twisted depravity, but it just seems dumb to take the risk of taking so many of these guys captive. We have a bunch of trained professional soldiers in the bandits that we've turned to our will, but these guys seem really tight-knit, tough and the sort that would be difficult to crack and/or supervise. Talal, their commander, seems to be the exception to the rule, but that's because we're in a great position to exploit his weaknesses. In that situation, I can't justify the risk of taking on these men as underlings without the sort of psychological leverage that we have on Talal.

Sadly, C will win, so the potential for the sick shit treave has planned will win out.

Nevill

Arcane
these guys seem really tight-knit, tough and the sort that would be difficult to crack and/or supervise. [...] In that situation, I can't justify the risk
If you think Talal to be mad enough to kill his pals for a woman just to be with her, do you not also think he wants to be with her so badly he could supervise his own men for us?

The psychological leverage angle is interesting, too... who do you think Talal would blame for everything from this point onwards? What kind of magical leash would you have that would prevent him from turning on you?

To see one as risk, but not the other - especially since half the voters acknowledge this idea as 'stupid, but interesting due to how sick it is' - that's what puzzles me.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
If you think Talal to be mad enough to kill his pals for a woman just to be with her, do you not also think he wants to be with her so badly he could supervise his own men for us?
It doesnt matter. If he cant kill them, we kill him anyway. If he does kill them, he will be so broken and hate himself so much that revenge on us will be futile. He might cuicide in the future if he has the balls though. I would like to see how B1 plays.

Nevill

Arcane
If he does kill them, he will be so broken and hate himself so much that revenge on us will be futile.
See, that's where we disagree.

Why would he hate himself more than he does us? Why does revenge need to make sense?

The only hold on him we have is Zayan. Which means:
- If he loses interest in Zayan (due to her not being up to his liking after the roze-tinted glasses fall, or due to her not being interested in him), we lose our control over him.
- If he thinks we are the ones who corrupted his precious Zayan and that she needs to be protected from us, we lose our control over him.
- If he finds a way to be with Zayan that doesn't involve us (and an insane lover would have a few ways open that a saner one wouldn't consider - whether it's a nice boat or an underground vault), we lose our control over him.
- Finally, if he loses his mind, we lose our control over him simply because there in no controlling a madman.

I can understand one's curiosity about the option, but let's not make it into a 'safe and sound' decision, because it isn't.

lightbane

Arcane
That's why mind-control spells/collars/shards exist. Unfortunately we don't have any at the moment, so the point is moot anyway. Perhaps once/if we learn necromancy, we can recycle their bodies to serve us.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just kill him and be done with it. :rpgcodex:

He's a man. How come he is of such interest to the 'dex? I thought we were into this for the women and the gold..

Nevill

Arcane
That's why mind-control spells/collars/shards exist.
Ah, yes. I fancied the idea before:
Mercant has supernatural charisma which will help him greatly.
It would be nice to have a Domination spell or two for when it doesn't. I wonder who we should see about this stuff. Athos and his minions/masters sounds like an idea...
However, they are fickle, prone to be dispellable, and breed feelings of contempt for the dominating party in the ones they are used on. Much better to let people follow their own desires, just giving them a few gentle nudges here and there.

Fortunio and the governor are good examples of this attitude, and maybe we can make something out of the kids, too.

Necromancy... that's a bit too crude for my tastes. I guess we'll have to see how much from the person it preserves intact. Bodies are cheap, it's the spirits and minds that are valuable. That's why a control over a mind is a much finer science than one over a body a.k.a. base slavery.

He's a man. How come he is of such interest to the 'dex?
Not really surprising. There was always a talk about how gay codex is.

Save a boy and loli? A little blurr, but nothing suspicious.
Save a fabulous prince, who rewards us? Sure little gay, but ultimately harmless.
Blowing up arm of endowed female commander and then deciding watching over couple of kids intead chasing her? Eh okay, we did follow Zhang Jue teachings.
Trying to kill ultimate beuty and sole adult female companion, while sparing every single male npc? Man, that's totally insane..

Admit codex, you are faggots and not in good way.
:decline:
:negative::negative::negative:
To be fair, we have shrugged off the temptation the last time. But how long will it last? :M

ScubaV

Prophet
9agcp5t.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
(Perception) It seems the update has been delayed for some reason. C won, but only for one vote.

Baltika9

Arcane
He doesn't drink, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom