Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jul 20, 2015.

1. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Ok. What happens to our Karma whenever we challenge someone and win? Does it reset to meet the defeated one's own karma?
    Would have it been possible to fly away without being fried by the magical defense system?
    What happens with prisoners that die here (be it of old age or other methods)? Perhaps this is related to the kitchen and is something we do not really wish to know.

So, your strategy for Erd was to get a score so low it breaks the system and flops to the "best" score then. Sounds funny and likely, but chances are the other prisoners and guards would attempt to manhandle us once they noticed what we are doing.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Not that you know of. If there are any, you would be likely to find them on the seventh floor. It is said that no one has managed to accumulate enough karma to reach the seventh floor ever since the current Warden took his place.

The result should be the same regardless of who makes the challenge. It is however very difficult to gain her notice at the moment, since you are unable to do anything that influences her from your position on the lowest floor. It's pretty much impossible without making a direct challenge of your own. Taking a room on the second floor by beating Salamander first will open up more options on that front.

Your karma values undergo a mutual exchange. This is something that can be exploited, at least psychologically.

You would have fallen into the ocean and washed up ashore somewhere else.

Their bodies are taken back to their room and then mysteriously vanish while no one is looking.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Hm, Prisoner 24601. Les Miserables reference?

Tinfoil-hat time! This is actually a facility to train monster supersoldiers. Only the most cunning and vicious would be allowed out, the rest get stuck here earning virtual points karma.

Even if it is not so, it still makes sense to have a shortcut - you are making those who are bright to serve as the guards for the rest. As long as they do not outsmart the Overseer, they are furthering the cause.

How do you conceal your number? It's not like you get a tag or something, and the guards' numbers are called out when they are assigned to 5th floor... So who is privy to this information? I would assume the denizens of the 4th floor are (it's the natural place to get the guards from).

Show Spoiler

All right.

1) Where is this institution located, compared to our last known location? What monster nations are there, and how far? What's the situation in the world? We have only seen the human side of the politics so far, but I'd like to see how the monsterbros fare. I am trying to determine if we should go home after our hopefully daring escape, or if we should try and make something out of our unexpected excursion to the other side of the world.

That's mostly a lore question that hardly has a relation to our immediate situation. Still, some of us were dying to meet the monsterbros, and this might be our chance.

I am also a bit puzzled by the presence of humans here. I wonder how they live with monsters in the other parts of the world.

2) How come that new arrivals enter the facility through the sky? Is there a portal up there? Is the existence of the place widely known, enough to have several kingdoms dump their garbage here all at once?

3) What qualifies as being an undesireable who warrants being sent to this place? 24K inmates sound like a really small amount, considering how long the facility has been operational. What particular crimes are the inmates here for?

4) What are the rules in the facility? Karma system seems pretty much intuitive, but they would not have put guards here through natural selection if it did the job all by itself. What is strictly disallowed and causes the guards to interfere?

5) What about Barbatos, are his abilities diminished here as well? Does he even know of the facility, its purpose, or its creators?

6) How long was it since Queen Bee was imprisoned here? She is only 600 numbers below us. How did she went to the floor 4, what's the reason for her rise? Did she challenge someone?

7) What are the horror stories of the magical security? I suppose the lower floor denizens would not know much about that... or maybe they are exactly the ones who would, having lost karma for attempting or assisting the attempts to bypass the system.

8) About the 'estimated population'... it probably should be clear from the numbers assigned. It must be something bekow 24603 people, probably close since no one leaving the place anymore after a change in the management. But how are those spread between the floors, do we have any idea?

9) Are there any gangs running the place in the lower floors? What are principles they from their groups by? Are there any inter-floor gangs, whose influence stretches beyond one floor?

^ Top  
  4. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Somewhere else outside of this island? Too bad, too late to do so anyway. I have another question:
    - Does this island have a library of some sort? I assume it is restricted by karma like everything else, but the quest for more spells is one without end.
    - What about a gym? Same as the previous question.
    - Does someone know if have there been other Angels like us before our arrival? And why do people here avoid looking at our wings by the way? They also seem to not to fear us too much (but that must be because of the system's wards, which they do affect us).

I wonder what did Erd eat with the gobbos if it was better than the thing he's being served here.

Ah, the classic 90's plot. This world is so bizarre it might even be the actual case. Too bad that there's already a race of monstrous supersoldiers: the Angels. Unfortunately, they were too effective at their jobs, so I guess this is the redux version.

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The voice isn't particularly loud. There might be some people who obsessively record the number of every person they have ever known. Outside of that, there are too many numbers to care about each and every one. The fourth floor would be the best place to find people who know the numbers of the guards.

The human kingdoms are to the west. The Sea of Von Braun is to the north of the major landmass where the non-human kingdoms are. You haven't found anyone talkative enough to infodump yet. Your wings are making it hard for people to hold long periods of conversation with you.

No one is certain how they arrived. Usually when they wake up they are already free-falling.

The crimes range from political dissidence to murder to thievery. Almost as if they picked the names out of a bag.

The guards interfere only in the case of violence or an attempt to escape, although the system itself is already perfectly capable of delivering punishment when karma goes too low. In that respect Erdrick theorizes that the guards serve more as a failsafe and as a more recognizable face for enforcing the system's will rather than leaving everything fully to a disembodied voice. They might not actually be required.

Although on the surface it might seem simple: accrue karma and get promoted, in actuality there are numerous ways to prevent someone from getting karma, and plenty of ways to manipulate them into getting negative karma. Since space in the tower is finite, someone on the upper floors who falls behind on gathering karma can be bumped down and his place naturally taken by someone from the lower floors without a challenge. Think of it like a scoreboard that is continually active, with the thresholds being raised depending on what everyone else does. At the point of your arrival, however, the system has been in place long enough and gamed long enough that the karma gap between each level is difficult to surpass without taking extraordinary action.

He has not spoken since you arrived, just like in the temple at Yuiria.

About six years or so. After working her way to floor two, she formed a gang and challenged someone on floor three, and news trickling down from above says that she has recently reached floor four. Details are scarce beyond that.

Disintegration is the most popular trick.

You have no idea. But the estimated population is actually probably a lot less than 20,000 people.

There are no actual factions in floors one and two. The denizens of these floors aren't noticed until they demonstrate an ability to rise above the rabble and reach the upper floors.

There is a library on the fourth floor, but there is no gym.

It seems to Erdrick that here, the first rule about talking to an angel is that you don't talk about angels.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Rin is doing 'sitting tight and waiting for Erdrick to pick her an opponent and give her his number so that she could challenge him' routine.

We can't do all the challenges ourselves, our success alone does nothing to help her climb the ladder. But we can still scout ahead and find her a match she won't fuck up. She tends to outsmart herself even more than we do.

I am more worried about how we intend to get the princess out. There aren't many people you can challenge in a catatonic state. Perhaps our best option is to get to the top and then open the gates for everyone...

^ Top  
  7. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Who cares about getting the princess out, if she's just a body double?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Does no one read 'The Prince and The Pauper' anymore? :negative:

Obviously, the real prince has to go.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    This sounds familiar...
    Show Spoiler

^ Top  
  10. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    B2.

^ Top  
  11. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I think I'll vote B1 in the absence of further discussion.

^ Top  
  12. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Erd facing Queen Bee? I theorized her powers are about mind controlling/charming others to some decree and make them do her bidding. That would explain her sudden rise to power. Her powers won't of course work on other females so that's why I'm voting B2. But it would be funny to read her trying to work and charm Erd.

^ Top  
  13. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Her powers could also involve being a giant fucking bee, too.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Tally:
    Show Spoiler

Azira B1 > A1
    lightbane B1
    Nevil B1
    Storyfag B1
    Kz3r0 C2
    Grimgravy A1
    Gobblecock A1
    Baltika9 A1
    archaen A1
    Esquilax B2
    Tome B2
    ScubaV B1
    Jester B1
    Lambchop B1 > A1
    Wjw A1 > C1

A1 5
    B1 7
    B2 2
    C2 1

Or

A 5
    B 9
    C 1

1 12
    2 3

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Or, y'know.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I don't mind Erdrick doing the challenging but I would prefer Rin does it while Erdrick goes around slipping laxatives to everyone's food.

^ Top  
  17. Jester Arbiter

Jester
  18. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    B1>A1

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. wjw Augur

wjw
    I think B1 is the worst option. Queen Bee is aiming to get out of the system, and so are we. Rather than meeting her in battle we should try to get on her side.
    Since she is so ambitious it should be obvious that she knows who to play the challenging game and is prepped for a low karma creep like us.

In doing so, A1 seems to be the safe option. (and will probably give us access to Queen Bee) .
    C1 is a bold plan, that could hugely backfire. At least we would get to meet the Warden. This is a huge plus.
    We should indeed try to lvl Rin up, by picking easy fights for her (after we lvld up ofcourse) So...

A1 > C1

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    wjw makes sense, flopping to A1.

^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    It took her 6 years to get where she is. By setting her back to where she began, we will leave sticking to us as her only reasonable way out.

The choice of 'spend another 6 years to recoup the losses' and 'join me and you are out next week' is an easy one to make, no? And we establish ourselves as dominant in our relationship so that she does not get any ideas.

I do not see this precluding a future cooperation. Depends on how we play this.

^ Top  
  22. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    What will happen if we win is that said Crooked Bee will join Erd's increasing number of Female Acquaintances He'll Never Get to Bang (TM), or FAHNGB. In any case, it would be really that surprising if she's an actual monster girl of some kind.

^ Top  
  23. wjw Augur

wjw
    Maybe. She is still completely prepared for a low karma angel like us. Also, i am not too sure if we are up for the challenge.
    I still think the 'middle road' is the worst option. Either we aim big and make a name for ourselves challenging the warden. Or we aim low and try to figure out the basics of this place.
    This place reminds me of Space Rangers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The Warden is even more prepared. That does not deter us.

All three choices are absolutely valid strategies. There is no 'worse one'. It's the endless debate between what style is more effective, the Builder or the Momentum one. But there is nothing saying that the extremes are any better than anything in-between - they just present us with a different sets of problems to solve.

* regarding preparedness - no one eems to have attempted this method in ages. I doubt anyone would be prepared for it when we do it first. That might actrually be the one thing that could help against the Warden.

** an angel's worth is not measured in karma. In fact, looking at how pointedly the other inmates avoid talking about us, I'd say that being challenged by one is not something you usually plan for.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Voting Game

So, you are the ambitious little fellow who has challenged me, hm?

The sweet feminine voice emanates from the center of your own head, seeping and oozing through the cracks of your mind thickly like honey across toast. There is a underlying buzz – not entirely unpleasant to the ear – that permeates the words. You have no doubt that her tone is specifically designed to elicit arousal and delight in men, though unfortunately it has absolutely no effect on you whatsoever. All that the voice’s smooth, alluring notes do is to remind you that your physiological problem appears to be entirely unsolvable. It troubles you. It troubles you a lot.

“Queen Bee, I presume?” you say, keeping your despair in careful check, willing none of it to slip between your lips. “Are you near here?” You glance around but see no one but prisoners and Rin, happily breaking the arms of a wolfman who had decided to get a bit too close for her comfort. Her delighted face suddenly droops in despair as the system presumably reports her dropping karma to her ears.

Why would I deign to descend to the first level? The reply came haughtily. This is telepathy facilitated by the tower, to allow the challenged to inform the challenger of the nature of the match. That is the only reason I am speaking to you, lowlife.

You probe with your senses and detect the stirrings of magic that have established a mental channel between you and your opponent. It is too faint for you to track, but it is there nonetheless – she is not lying. “And what mighty challenge would you set before me?” you ask casually.

We will have a voting game. The voice sounds pleased, confident. The voters will be… every inhabitant of this prison. The tower itself will convey the message to every single prisoner and guard once the game commences. They will vote for you, or for me. If you defeat me in the number of votes, then you will have won the challenge. If I win, on the other hand, then you will receive what you deserve.

“Sounds like I win either way, if I’m going to get what I deserve.”

You are not taking this very seriously, are you?

Slight exasperation, but not enough to be considered a breakthrough. You are also unable to rule out the possibility of play-acting to get you to misunderstand her personality. Pressing on, you push for more details.

The duration of the voting will be three days. You will be allowed to canvass for votes as you wish. Of course, I will do the same with all the influence I have. Everything else is subject to the usual regulations of the tower. Basically, besides the addition of a single vote for every inhabitant, nothing will change in their daily life.

“I see, I see. Are those all the rules?” you ask.

Those are all the rules. Oh, you won’t be able to back out now even if you wanted to. The moment you made the challenge your fate was sealed.

“Confident, aren’t you? But these are some really boring rules.”

This is all you will get. Even I cannot ask for something against the rules of the system.

The voice takes on a malicious tone. You know full well what she means; you spotted the greatest challenge for you the moment she spoke it. Following the regulations of the tower, being a resident of the first floor, you do not have access to the higher floors… but as a resident of the fourth floor, she can access every floor below hers. This means that Queen Bee is able to directly gather support from four levels of inhabitants compared to your one. The imbalance in the population of potential voters is the largest hurdle you will have to overcome.

“What if I ask for something that isn’t against the rules?” you venture.

Such as?

“A public display of the current tally.”

And why would you want such a thing? She was suspicious.

“Oh, only to ensure that your humiliation is in full view of everyone,” you laugh.

Has the thought never crossed your mind that you might be the one being humiliated?

“As if I would lose a child’s game such as this.”

A child’s game… so that is how you think of this, eh? Very well. I see no harm in allowing you your little wish. Don’t be surprised if you end up receiving in backlash the fruits of your schemes, whatever it is.

“Thanks-“

You sense the mental channel snap shut. Now that you are looking out for it, you are aware of its existence, like a door closed just waiting to be opened.

You sigh. It looks like you have gotten into something more troublesome than you had expected. You had only wanted a quick route up and out of the prison. A three-day long game is more than you had bargained for… but if you wanted to survive, you would have to win this match even with the odds heavily stacked against you.

The mental channel is still present, and probably will be for the duration of the match. Perhaps you can do something with it:

A. You constantly open it and harass – no, converse with Queen Bee.

B. You leave it shut. There is nothing to talk about, you will do your gloating after you have won.

There are a few approaches you can take for the first day, though you do not think you will have enough time to carry them all out. Not all of them will be fruitful, and not all of them will bear fruit immediately… (Pick three)

I. Attempt to persuade the guards to support you.
    II. Attempt to persuade the prisoners on the first floor to support you.
    III. Look into magically manipulating the way the system records votes.
    IV. Look into magically manipulating the way the prisoners vote.
    V. Try to find a way to slip into the upper floors without falling foul of the security.
    VI. Search for more information about Queen Bee.
    VII. Attempt to tweak the telepathic channel to be used for scrying instead.
    VIII. Sleep.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.