Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That reminds me: what's the daily routine for the first level's prisoners, treave?

Exercise, meditation, cleaning and the like.

IV. Look into magically manipulating the way the prisoners vote.
What does this involve?

Find a way to magically influence the process of voting on the prisoners' end. Whereas with III it is more of an attempt to manipulate the result of voting on the system's end.

Kipeci

Arcane
As one of our favorite politicians with much experience in winning elections has said:

The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
I believe A I III VIII will work for the best.
A ought to go for the psychological factor to get her flustered up and perhaps spill some information about what she's doing, so that's good. The problem is that we might accidentally let something slip from our end of the operation, but I think the chances of that are minimized if we go with sleeping so that we're in tip top mental shape.

I builds an actual, real support among groups here. I do intend to twist the results, but that's easier to pull off if you have someone voting for you in the first place. The guards may not be naturally inclined towards us, but that's why it's all the more important to sway them to our side-- furthermore, they can actually traverse the levels, making it possible for us to spread our message to the upper floors to more and certainly more influential people if we get any of them to really care about us. It's of critical importance to build a relationship with the folks in some semblence of authority if we're going to be slogging it out through a prolonged stay.

III helps us to further get an idea of the magical loopholes and backdoors that may or may not exist here and is critical to actually pushing us towards a victory, so that's of extreme importance.

Finally, VIII keeps us in good mental shape, which helps with creativity in handling the tinkering in the system and the harassment campaign.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Find a way to magically influence the process of voting on the prisoners' end. Whereas with III it is more of an attempt to manipulate the result of voting on the system's end.
The words are all known to me, and yet I fail to grasp the meaning.

I understand how one can forge vote results, make the system 'miscount', and whatnot. But how do you magically influence the process of voting? Make them think they are voting for one thing when they are voting for the other? Or what?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The words are all known to me, and yet I fail to grasp the meaning.

I understand how one can forge vote results, make the system 'miscount', and whatnot. But how do you magically influence the process of voting? Make them think they are voting for one thing when they are voting for the other? Or what?

Something like that.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A
II. Attempt to persuade the prisoners on the first floor to support you.
VI. Search for more information about Queen Bee.
VII. Attempt to tweak the telepathic channel to be used for scrying instead.

What is the population distribution among the floors? I would assume the first floor is the most crowded one. If this is the case, then attempting to persuade first floorers and trying to manipulate how the prisoners vote are overlapping too much.

The first two sub-choices are for the short term. Getting information through scrying about various prisoners is valuable for the long term.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, what kind of reputation does Queen Bee have on the first floor? Is she viewed favorably, are there people who resent her or whom she's wronged?

Nevill

Arcane
treave, what kind of reputation does Queen Bee have on the first floor? Is she viewed favorably, are there people who resent her or whom she's wronged?
I think that's what the option allows us to find out.

But why would they view someone who left them behind favorably? She is allowed down here, yet - from what I've understood - people only remember her from when she was a lvl1 dweller. She didn't look back once she rose to the top.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A - troll gotta troll
I - control the guards and you control the prisoners. Or at least prevent the queen from controlling them and doing just that.
III - obviously. It's the entire reason we asked for the tally. Even if we can't manipulate the prisoners because the system will track our magic's effect on others, we can at least manipulate the tally so as to make us look like the victor.
IV - edit: as E said, there's no reason why we should even try to be legit.
VIII>VI - inner Angelz sounds like powah and failing that, searching for more info to troll with sounds good.

Last edited by a moderator:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
My thinking option 4 over option 3 due to the defenses inherent in the choices. Option 3 is actually attempting to attack the system itself. If you are flipping votes on the server side you need to breach the firewall so to speak. In option 4 we just need to crack the intake form and pass info inside the server that nets us votes without actually going up the system defenses. I also like the likely 19,000 registered users who are dead or gone and that haven't been voting until we came along.

"Oh my God, the dead have risen and are voting Republican Angelican!"

My thinking option 4 over option 3 due to the defenses inherent in the choices. Option 3 is actually attempting to attack the system itself. If you are flipping votes on the server side you need to breach the firewall so to speak. In option 4 we just need to crack the intake form and pass info inside the server that nets us votes without actually going up the system defenses. I also like the likely 19,000 registered users who are dead or gone and that haven't been voting until we came along.

And the reason why I would choose 3 over 4 is that it starts us on the path of hacking the system - maybe that's possible, maybe not, but if it is possible, I'd rather start on it now than later.

Esquilax

Arcane

Something of the sort did occur to me:

We will have a voting game. The voice sounds pleased, confident. The voters will be… every inhabitant of this prison. The tower itself will convey the message to every single prisoner and guard once the game commences. They will vote for you, or for me. If you defeat me in the number of votes, then you will have won the challenge. If I win, on the other hand, then you will receive what you deserve.

This would include floors that even Queen Bee can't access. If, hypothetically, we were to rig the votes in such a way that those in levels five, six, seven and eight were to vote for us (regardless of whether they really did or not), then we'd still win. So if some guy on level seven who nobody - not even us - has even heard of, were to "vote" for us, that vote would still be legit according to the terms of the challenge.

I think that Kipeci is on the right track, but I'm skeptical of whether attempting to persuade the guards will work or not. What do we have to offer them, after all? Right now we are a nobody. We'd have better luck with our fellow prisoners on the first floor since I suppose we could offer to lift them up along with us, but I don't know how we'd go about persuading the guards without having them laugh in our faces. I mean, it could be something that we'd have to work on for multiple days and it wouldn't succeed at the first crack, but I just don't know what we'd have to bargain with.

I'll vote A III IV VIII for now. While I understand the concern Nevill mentioned that maybe we should go out and at least attempt to get a few legit votes here and there, there is nothing in the terms of the challenge that said that we needed to do it fair and square. The only thing that matters is that we have more votes in the end, whether these were obtained by dubious means or not.

I am willing to hear some opinions out on this, I am not entirely sure how to go about this myself.

The only thing that matters is that we have more votes in the end, whether these were obtained by dubious means or not.

That's actually a brilliant point. We did ask if those were the only rules.

Baltika9

Arcane
A I VI VIII

I think we'll be able to get the general population of the first floor on our side after we 'expose' queen bee. We'll need to lay the groundwork for it, which means doing our legwork and messing with her mind, but I'm confident she has some skeletons in the closet that can win Erd the prole vote.
Kipeci is totally right about the guards, I've nothing to add there:
I builds an actual, real support among groups here. I do intend to twist the results, but that's easier to pull off if you have someone voting for you in the first place. The guards may not be naturally inclined towards us, but that's why it's all the more important to sway them to our side-- furthermore, they can actually traverse the levels, making it possible for us to spread our message to the upper floors to more and certainly more influential people if we get any of them to really care about us. It's of critical importance to build a relationship with the folks in some semblence of authority if we're going to be slogging it out through a prolonged stay.
Lastly, sleep never hurt anyone.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
And the reason why I would choose 3 over 4 is that it starts us on the path of hacking the system - maybe that's possible, maybe not, but if it is possible, I'd rather start on it now than later.

I am all for hacking the system when we are at our leisure, but the three day deadline with unknown consequences if we lose leaves me wanting to choose the path with a seemingly higher chance of quick success and not drawing the ire of the system.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I am willing to hear some opinions out on this, I am not entirely sure how to go about this myself.
I am thinking that people who vote sleep - which angels don't actually need - in a limited timeframe of three days, when it directly alludes to Legend's DEMONZ option (which at a time did absolutely nothing) are just not-so-subconsciously drawn to a disaster.

Eh. At this point I am not so invested in the LP anymore to the point that I can finally appreciate a good old clusterfuck.

A II III VI

I wonder if we can't win by having the system show the votes wrong. It's not the truth that matters, but a public perception of it. If the queen loses her cool, it will just further cement this opinion.

Azira A II IV VI
lightbane A I IV VIII
archaen A II IV VI
Kz3r0 A III IV VI
Storyfag A II IV VI
Kipeci A I III VIII
TOME II IV VII
Grimgravy A II VI VIII
Lambchop19 A III IV VIII>VI
Esquilax A III IV VIII
Nevill A II III VI
Gobblecock B I II VIII
Tigranes A I II III
ScubaV A II IV VI

I - 4
II - 9
III - 6
IV - 9
VI - 7
VII - 1
VIII - 6

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Flopping to
A
II. Attempt to persuade the prisoners on the first floor to support you.
IV. Look into magically manipulating the way the prisoners vote.
VII. Attempt to tweak the telepathic channel to be used for scrying instead.

lightbane

Arcane
Eh. At this point I am not so invested in the LP anymore to the point that I can finally appreciate a good old clusterfuck.
That's a bit sad to read, but understandable. I do feel something similar as well. Clearly treave has to do something unexpected to bring back everyone's attention (ie: Erd is actually a woman! Rin is actually her long-lost twin sister! And her own father somehow!, etc.)

Nevill

Arcane
Well, it's not like I've lost interest, and I still like Erdrick and his crew enough to try and see them to the top, whereever that is. But being involved in about 15 different games makes me less concerned about the direction this particular story is heading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom