Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

profreshinal

Arcane
I'm mostly angry at the head-priest but since that isn't an option I'm going with H. Use your aggressive feelings, hero. Let the buthurt flow through you.

keeping the wings and learning the language spell

A,C
BB

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In this case it's less about the translating and more about the someone.

Well, the point still stands, she won't always be there, unless you'd like to try leashing her to a pillar. It's just a drawback that comes with the choice, having to rely solely on a single character as your interpreter in this world.

Every choice has its drawbacks anyway. For example, in A, you are spending time on a single language, which might not be the most efficient use of your time depending on how widespread that language is. In B, there could be the occasional mistranslation, or a situation where you are unable to cast the spell.

I am against skipping content.

No need to worry about that too much. Naturally, there will be some content skipped and paths closed when you cannot understand a thing people are saying (hard to issue complex orders or threats through a game of charades, that's for sure), but any events that don't involve any talking or lore-dumping won't be skipped. It won't skip immediately to an epilogue. As I said, legitimate choice. :M

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
If we ever progress to the teaching stage we should really create an actual language of electrical violence, where the kind of attack you inflict has a specific meaning and you can string them together in specific grammars and all that.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Teaching anything is too much effort. Conditioning them to electric shocks is simpler. However, if you had not picked a lazy character, you would have had the option to teach the goblins your language instead, particularly if you picked any Justice type. But at the moment it is more effort to teach them (because they're dumber) than for you to learn their language. Perhaps once the character gets a better grasp of the world he is in, the options may change.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think in terms of hardworking + laziness, our priorities should go
Yes, but as I said, my character isn't all about lazyness.

In terms of perverted scholarship nothing beats having Rin help you with your studies while we stare at her cleavage. :M

No need to worry about that too much.
Well, I am against skipping any content if I can avoid it. An epilogue was an obvious exaggeration :lol:, but as I said, given an option to do something or to not do something I will always go for the former.

I get that by choosing one path you are locked out from others, but this is a bit different in that I don't feel we are getting the same worth of content by pursuing that option. I want those supporting skills that actually do things! Failing that, I want to go adventuring in search of that priestess, not lock ourselves in a mage tower for research!

Going to sleep in Legend made me headdesk hard. I never got to know what could have been between us and Miss Bai! I can't have that! :M:M:argh:

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Dude, that's too half-assed, just vote 3C and devote your efforts to actually fucking her instead of staring at her boobs.

Nevill

Arcane
I am perverted, not dumb. I need to be able to tell them what I want, and I can't rely on Rin relaying them my orders because I might want some things that she should not know about. :M

lightbane

Arcane
Oh my Pork, Rin is a lvl 35 Princess! No wonder she was so strong, we definitively became weaker. Also, something tells me that in order to truly inherit her father's legacy, sooner or later she'll need our "angelic juice" in order to get it, if you know what I mean:M

In any case, my choices are:

1: Primarily E (because they robbed us of a potential sex scene waifu) and secondarily D (for being responsible for the former).
2: B (removing it would be too painful and take effort to do so).
3: A. We can learn this basic language first, then later on use the basics in order to get the "ultimate xp trick" spell (sometimes one must make a minimal effort in order to be able to be even more lazy later). Also, depending entirely on a Google Translator spell to talk is a really, really bad idea.

Also, random question: What is our character's wearing right now? A good Overlord has to be fashionable, so in case we only have a loincloth, whe should replace it at the first opportunity.

Lastly, in case I didn't get the memo: did our MC suffer other physical changes besides the wings and halo? I mean something like white hair, red eyes, extra-pallid skin and other stuff that clearly marks us as something not-entirely human.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm mostly angry at the head-priest but since that isn't an option I'm going with H.

Hm, that's worth thinking about. I originally filed the high priest under being angry at the Goddesses, as he is a part of their religion. But it could also work as part of the Seven Kingdoms, since the kings and the temples are quite tight. But for now, unless you have any specific reason for hating the high priest that aren't related to the Goddess religion, the closest you can come to voting for him would probably be voting for the Goddesses themselves.

What is our character's wearing right now? A good Overlord has to be fashionable, so in case we only have a loincloth, whe should replace it at the first opportunity.

Lastly, in case I didn't get the memo: did our MC suffer other physical changes besides the wings and halo? I mean something like white hair, red eyes, extra-pallid skin and other stuff that clearly marks us as something not-entirely human.

You are wearing scraps of rough goblin cloth sewn together to fit your size. The princess has a nice, elegant black dress made from her wings of shadow, befitting that of demonic royalty.

Your skin is somewhat paler than before, but also more radiant.

Your hair has not yet turned white, but that can be arranged.

Your eyes have not yet turned red, but that can also be arranged.

More importantly, you have become a Shinji-sexual. Your instincts as an Angel will explode onto the scene messily should you meet any 14 year old boys with a mother complex and a terrible father. :M

Esquilax

Arcane
Oh Christ, Nevill was right, we're going to pick a hero who is butthurt at EVERYTHING. Lame. I'm mostly pissed at the Goddesses and Mieren's death, everything else with our companions is simply the cost of our own betrayal. I didn't vote for the RAGE option so that we could be a butthurt faggot at everyone and everything, especially since we betrayed people too.

A E

As for the wings, I like our hero covert. I kinda want to go with a character who can blend into society in the Seven Kingdoms, and potentially infiltrate a lot of places without sticking out like a sore thumb.

A

As for the language, D doesn't sound like hardworking laziness, it just sounds like a whole lot of hard work. Fuck that. I wanna go with the auto-translation spell and hopefully focus on other types of magic later. I don't like the opportunity cost of D.

B

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Guys, I think we missed something.

It closely resembles a more archaic form of my language

I am no linguistic, but does this means that learning the goblin language makes learning demon language easier? Plus it belongs to ancient language class type thingie, so maybe it could help translating some ancient text if we come across something like that....Well maybe not direct translation, but perhaps familiar enought that we can make solid educated guess?

It's a long shot, but a long shot minimizing effort to learn or deciphere such a things.

Edit:
Aah, found it!!!
It could also mean that they are planning to have an… an o-orgy at this place and we are in the way. I’m not sure, it’s been a few decades since I last had Ancient Language studies!”

Nevill

Arcane
Oh Christ, Nevill was right, we're going to pick a hero who is butthurt at EVERYTHING. Lame.
Pfft, you don't need to be a prophet to predict that. :lol:

Especially after Lambchop trolled himself out of a weighted system that would have allowed for a more balanced distribution. A lot of us have secondary and tertiary concerns, but having only a single vote ensures that they will not surface over primary grievances unless artificially made to.

On the other hand, it also ensures that 1D would never make it, so we can finally embrace Theseus. :M

As for the wings, I like our hero covert.
Would you also saw off the halo as well if you find a way?

I mean, that's our limb we are talking about. Maybe we can learn to wrap wings around ourselves and turn them into armor like Rin does.

Unless you think that the wing was only holding us back. :salute:

I am no linguistic, but does this means that learning the goblin language makes learning demon language easier?
I would assume so. These goblins are somewhat related to the ones that served the deceased Demon Lord (they all resemble felines). If these ruins are of their making during the rule of Vaalgrahf, there is a high chance the language they speak in is indeed Ancient Demon. I mean, it is only logical that the slaves followers talk in the language of their masters enlightened and superior leaders.

Baltika9

Arcane
More importantly, you have become a Shinji-sexual. Your instincts as an Angel will explode onto the scene messily should you meet any 14 year old boys with a mother complex and a terrible father. :M
In other words, we're a pedophile.

Nevill

Arcane
Our mental age is capped at approximately the same mark, so it's arright. :M

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
G - We should have seen it coming.
B - Self mutilation would be :decline:
A - We're a lazy bastard, but smart enough to know the value of true communication with our minions.

Absinthe

Arcane
3D>B

If we do learn goblin I'm not interested in watching people jump on trying to learn the next language too.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Bros, do not, I repeat DO NOT, cut off our wing. You know where that leads:
Aerie_Portrait_BG2.png

The biggest benefit to learning the language is time spent with the princess. All those endless hours of the two of us studying together. Something is bound to happen.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hey Baltika9, any chance you'd flop to 3D? The way the votes are set up, it won't be a "Now that you have started Wuxian Qiankun, would you like to vote for it five more times?" option but a "if it wins, we're committed, no more votes on that front till it's done" deal.

oscar

Arcane
A - Prometheus type dude
B
D

I'm not decided on the wing. It seems multiple drawbacks (balance, inability to blend in) for no apparent advantage but perhaps it could be useful. Really depends on the connotations angels have in this setting and could be useful if we act as some sort of messiah figure.

Kipeci

Arcane
Alright, that's sure a lot of votes.

For the first part, I'll go with G>E. I personally don't think we should be carrying any anger personally towards those people... we were reluctant from the start, which they knew, and at the final conclusion we ended up doing something that would have doomed everyone else had they not prepared that little extra something special. Bravo to them. I think we should direct that anger internally so that we will try to improve ourselves and not get caught by a surprise like that again. I guess I could also say that there wasn't really a need for Mieren to die like that, although in retrospect it's only her intervention that allowed us to escape justice, so...

Second vote is B. There's no getting past our luminosity or halo which are arguably stranger than having a wing taped to our back. If it makes it tough to balance, too bad, we'll get used to it soon enough. The strange balance that we will develop may help in having a unique fighting style that puts others off kilter too, I don't know, I just think that we shouldn't get into a habit of intentionally removing parts of our body if we can avoid it.

Third one... well, I went with WQS in the last CYOA, and while I was happy with the results for the most part this is a separate CYOA and I want to go about it differently. I can see merits to everything; A is great for getting closer to Rin and understanding our minion's words, and besides that it seems to be somewhat closely related to other evil beast tongues which should make it all quick to learn if we come across those. Plus since Rin has a more academic understanding of it we should also be able to understand stuff written with it, while the auto-translate ones sounds like it's just a speech thing. It's all useful stuff to know.

Auto-translate goes well with our character's status as a slacker, but I've never so much cared for that part anyway. It's all worthless if we somehow lose magic at some point which I just know is going to happen now that it's been mentioned, and a situation in which we've lost magic is the only one I can really envision us needing the help of minions. I'd rather be able to communicate in a language really well than all of them rather poorly, anyway; if we're in a case where we need another language to be learned, why not order a goblin to dedicate their life to learning it and then tell it to us in goblin tongue? That way there's less room for error provided that our servant was diligent enough.

Electrical violence... I guess it works for being the Thunder Lord, but I'd prefer to reserve that more for enemies whom we're judging rather than guys on our side as much as possible. If we fry half of our minions when they bother us with their pipsqueak voices because they wanted to tell us about a problem that might be relevant, that would be a bummer. The goblins here have a very healthy respect for us after seeing us turn their former boss into ozone above a pool of molten rock, so I think we can just coast on that for a good while without any of them getting uppity.

I think I'll go with A for the last one.

Nevill

Arcane
Plus since Rin has a more academic understanding of it we should also be able to understand stuff written with it, while the auto-translate ones sounds like it's just a speech thing.
This. I would like to understand demonic writings if we come across ones.

Asking Rin about it is like asking Morte for directions or Dak'kon for translations, you'll never know if you find a "don't trust the skull" caveat or if they won't mention something that you might consider worth mentioning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom