Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

oscar

Arcane
BB2

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We're terribly active for a lazy fuck, now that I think about it.
Pro-active laziness is best laziness.

Sleeping the years away in your chambers is not going to be fun, not to mention there may be not that many years due to all the other players.

Nevill

Arcane
You close your eyes and try to feel for any strong flow of magic that could indicate wards of detection. There are none. Could they really be that careless?
I think they are really the scrubs that they look like. They are obviously on a recovery/excavation mission, and are trying to avoid conflict with the kingdom that this land belongs to. There is no reason for them to prepare a trap, as they should have their hands full already. It's more likely that they are simply small fries who don't even know what wards are or what to search for in terms of threats. They don't expect to see anyone here but the goblins or a stray patrol, or some monsters that can be repelled with brute strength.

Anyway, I think we are not discussing the more important dilemma of the update.
“Why aren’t we just jumping in and smashing them? They are weak,” whispers Rin. "Also, they are bullying my cute little goblins. That is more than deserving of death."
Cat-person..?
In particular, you can see Rin's tail swishing happily, something you've noticed she does from time to time.
...or a dog-person?

:hmmm:

Minor things:
“Regardless, you took my father’s heart. It was the culmination of his work. It is hislegacy, and as his daughter, it belongs to me.”
A typo in the Oath of Partnership.

They returned with a few bags of supplies: steel armor and weapons, most of them twisted or broken. A case of blank scrolls, which could be of use to you. Half a dozen healing potions that miraculously survived the arrival.
Not listed among our items.

Elemental Protection
Missing a description.

Universal Translation - All speech within ear-shot is automatically translated for the caster, and the caster's own words are translated into the language that the listener is most proficient in.
Missing the incantation the other spells have. From words to words; let all be understood.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, it would be nice to see the number of potions at least, considering how wasting using one of them on a goblin was a big enough deal to warrant a choice. Unless the 'Dex sees the rapidly diminishing supply we will vote to heal the Boss with them like the paladins that we are. :M

Also, what can we do with blank scrolls? The spells we've seen seem all to be cast from memory.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, it would be nice to see the number of potions at least, considering how wasting using one of them on a goblin was a big enough deal to warrant a choice. Unless the 'Dex sees the rapidly diminishing supply we will vote to heal the Boss with them like the paladins that we are. :M

Hm, true. I'll make a note of it.

Also, what can we do with blank scrolls? The spells we've seen seem all to be cast from memory.

You could update your journal, draw maps, and if you infuse your mana into the scrolls you can scribe low-level (Rank F & E) spells onto them. Runde can be taught to use them and cast some low-level magic without killing himself in the process. You also use them during spell development, to record your progress. You'll need a steady supply of paper if you want to keep researching magic in the future.

Tigranes

Arcane
6 high mages suggests it's not all scrubs, though. Certainly they're on a covert recovery mission, but seeing as (1) they knew they were coming to an unusual spot, (2) they're putting themselves in danger, you'd think they'd have some capable small force and not just idiots.

BA2 > BA3 for now - I think we should aim at killing or capturing all of them and letting none return, though, to ensure word doesn't spread.

I don't see what's to be gained by parleying - what exactly do you guys think we can say to these people? You want to let them go back without their 'star' and having seen us?

Nevill

Arcane
I don't see what's to be gained by parleying - what exactly do you guys think we can say to these people?
I think "Ohi!" would be a good start. :M

You want to let them go back without their 'star' and having seen us?
No, I still intend to kill them, I just wonder if I can't get something out of them, first, before we fall back to our usual routine.

It is true, though, that the loss of a surprise factor might cost us, so I am also fine with attacking them outright. It is also good that they can't openly send an army here to retaliate, as these forces should not even officially be here.

However, if we attack, shouldn't we aim for an overwhelming strike? Going for a gradual pressure building might prompt some of them to flee... :? Though we can somewhat count on Rin to not let the stragglers away if they don't know Teleport.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
However, if we attack, shouldn't we aim for an overwhelming strike? Going for a gradual pressure building might prompt some of them to flee... :?

They'd run right into Rin's waiting axe, most likely. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Yeah, just remembered that.

Say, if we go talk to them - and if we do so without a disguise they will likely bring us to their commander in chains or under a heavy guard - can we Teleport out towards a safer environment if we fail to reach a mutually beneficial agreement? :M

How common are these teleportation blocking measures, anyway? This spell must be a giant pain to account for.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Say, if we go talk to them - and if we do so without a disguise they will likely bring us to their commander in chains or under a heavy guard - can we Teleport out towards a safer environment if we fail to reach a mutually beneficial agreement? :M

It depends entirely on how they react to the appearance of an angel, doesn't it? But yes, teleportation is an option if you feel like you need to flee.

How common are these teleportation blocking measures, anyway? This spell must be a giant pain to account for.

Back in the Seven Kingdoms? Fairly common. Fairly nasty too, if you don't happen to be one of the most talented archmages in the world. It does have its limits, though, in that you must have first visited the place.

Nevill

Arcane
In the Seven Kingdoms, a High Mage is the rank under an Archmage, and generally a C-rank spell caster. Lobelia is one of the Archmagi, though she is on the extreme end of strength.
Also, I see these 'C-rank spell caster', 'D-rank knight', or an 'F-rank wolf', and I wonder how they compare to each other. Is that the stat range that we can expect from them? Are there gradations within these ranks, too?

For example, my gut feeling is that Lobelia is likely listed as a 'B-rank spellcaster', but she must know a few A-class spells or maybe even a pair of S-class ones. So what one can expect from a C-rank mage?

By the way, where do we fall as a mage and Rin as a warrior on that scale? Or are we unique snowflakes?

lightbane

Arcane
So, the Potion experiment worked! It seems that the theory about the God(esse)s used the same mold to create all races might be true after all.

1. B. Hiding would make us even more suspicious. Besides, our character has an healthy self-image as everyone else should. Too bad he lacks fasionhable clothes to look good. Say, that commander guy has a bitching cloak, doesn't he? Perhaps he can solve our issue.
:M

Anyway, we went here with 2 angry fighters. Clearly there's only one type of diplomacy worth considering (moreso if we want to impress Rin and gain points in her sex scene Social-Link romance bar).

UPDATE:

2. B3. The best of both worlds: A remote kamizake clone. We can use it to both make a suprise attack and interact with them if necessary.

By the way, before engaging into rat-diplomacy, there's a spell I'm curious if we can use it here:

Rank B
Battle Premonition - A short-term precognitive spell. Allows prediction 0.5 seconds into the future for each rank of caster's magical attack.

Can we cast this spell before doing anything else? If only to have a sneak peek of what will happen with our choices (and check if someone will be able to get away or not).

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
If only to have a sneak peek of what will happen with our choices (and check if someone will be able to get away or not).
It won't help us here. It grants only 2 seconds of premonition.

If we cast Gigadyne, I don't think anyone would have time to get away. If we cast wolves, they are not going to flee from a swarm of F-ranked critters before at least attempting to mount a defense.

But I applaud your efforts to cheat fate. :salute:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Also, I see these 'C-rank spell caster', 'D-rank knight', or an 'F-rank wolf', and I wonder how they compare to each other. Is that the stat range that we can expect from them? Are there gradations within these ranks, too?

They refer to their stats in general. C-rank mages usually have C-rank mana, give or take, so even if they knew higher ranked spells they wouldn't be able to cast it due to lack of mana.

Can we cast this spell before doing anything else? If only to have a sneak peek of what will happen with our choices (and check if someone will be able to get away or not).

Battle Premonition is a reactive spell that registers on an instinctual level. Even if you cast Battle Premonition, you need something to happen before it will trigger. You need to start summoning wolves and mean to continue summoning wolves, for example, to see what will happen 2 seconds later. More likely, the spell will fall apart when you are unable to maintain concentration because of overthinking. That is why it is classified as a defensive spell and not utility. It is not a "what will happen if I do this" spell, it is a "the opponent is going to do this next" spell. If you, or they, do not actually do anything, then nothing will change.

Nevill

Arcane
The knights and their commander are in the center of the camp, and they are standing around a makeshift table looking at something.
[...]
“…you think they’ll find anything?”

Six High Mages can do anything. I just wonder what the Confessor-Princess is hoping to find all the way out here.”

“Must be something important. I heard rumours that it involved some relic of the Demon God.”

I heard rumours that a star had been sent to earth as a blessing by the Five Gods and as a reward for our faith. That’s what we’re supposed to retrieve.”

“A star? How’d we carry a star? They’re… like… little pricks of light!”

“By the way, we’re not actually allowed in Methussian territory, are we? What if they find us?”

“That’s what that Galbaldian flag is for, dumbass…”

The patrol moves away, none the wiser as to your presence. It looks like if you want to find out more, you will have to capture them or talk to them. You recall Runde’s brief report on the countries surrounding your village. The ruins are in Methussian land, which is a kingdom bordered by Galbaldy, Dijeh, and the Holy Barzam Ecclesiocracy.
Ok, so, judging by the pieces of banter we've heard we are dealing with the forces of Holy Barzam Ecclesiocracy (the title of their Princess and the story about being rewarded for their faith point at it), who are posing as Galbaldian troops while encroaching on Methussian lands. However, they are not at war with the Methussians, because otherwise there would have been no need of secrecy.

It doesn't sound like Galbaldians are allowed here either, by the looks of it, as the Ecclesiocrats want to set them up in case they run into a Methussian patrol. Makes me think Galbaldians are not very well liked by both of their neighbours.

The next incursion, if it comes, is more likely to come from the Methussians than from other powers. We probably should capture and interrogate the commander or the mages if we want to learn more. Might even hand them over to whoever comes next as bargaining chips.

I wonder what it is they are searching and why are they searching it. Is there some kind of prophecy? If goblins have one, why not humans also? Maybe they are looking for a wonder-weapon to gain an edge over their rivals?

Edit: if their Princess looks like this I am totes considering moving to Barzam whatisit.
1421_tk01pcwestup_0423.jpg

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Six High Mages can do anything. I just wonder what the Confessor-Princess is hoping to find all the way out here.”

“Must be something important. I heard rumours that it involved some relic of the Demon God.”

I heard rumours that a star had been sent to earth as a blessing by the Five Gods and as a reward for our faith. That’s what we’re supposed to retrieve.”

“A star? How’d we carry a star? They’re… like… little pricks of light!”

“By the way, we’re not actually allowed in Methussian territory, are we? What if they find us?”

“That’s what that Galbaldian flag is for, dumbass…”

The patrol moves away, none the wiser as to your presence. It looks like if you want to find out more, you will have to capture them or talk to them. You recall Runde’s brief report on the countries surrounding your village. The ruins are in Methussian land, which is a kingdom bordered by Galbaldy, Dijeh, and the Holy Barzam Ecclesiocracy. This could be risky: if it turns out that it is a trap, you would be revealing your presence for a poor reason - especially if some of them get away - and it might also embroil you in complicated geopolitics that you have little knowledge about. On the other hand, you are now certain that these humans are definitely unrelated to the Seven Kingdoms.
The ruins are technically part of the territory of a kingdom called Methuss, and he has also heard of a kingdom called Galbaldy, another called Dijeh, and something called the Holy Barzam Ecclesiocracy. He has no idea what ‘ecclesiocracy’ means.

We can infer the following from this exchange:

Methuss is allied with Galbady, or at least on good terms with them. That's why this small contingent is disguised as Galbadian forces. Judging by the fact that these soldiers speak of Gods and are searching for a relic, it is likely that their objective is religious in nature, which would probably make them members of the Holy Barzam Ecclesiocracy. We have to tread carefully here. There seems to be a very delicate diplomatic situation between these four Kingdoms, and we have to know what intervening will result in. Attacking them and slaying them to a man might not be in our best interest if our ultimate goal is to cause conflict so that these powers weaken each other. If we do, say, kill them all and leave no survivors, unless we leave an obvious trace like Gigadyne, the attack would likely be pinned on one of the other powers (not Methuss though, as they are allied with Galbady).

It wouldn't stir conflict up between them, though. These forces are likely "off the record" and they don't officially exist. Any involvement that they have here will be disavowed.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

We obviously can't kill them all. This princess sounds like a love interest.

Nevill

Arcane
Methuss is allied with Galbady, or at least on good terms with them. That's why this small contingent is disguised as Galbadian forces.
I considered that possibility, but surely that ruse would fail at a closer inspection? :?

Whomever tried it must not have counted on the troops exchanging words, but blows.

However, now that I think of it, that might be the reason why the mages don't have complex enchantments. If every kingdom has distinctive schools of magic, those enchantments might give them away. Or perhaps Galbaldians don't have mages in the first place.

We obviously can't kill them all.
There is no princess here... I think. Unless she is the commander. Whom we intend to capture anyway, so I don't see your point. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Your Pervert Sense does not pick up the presence of any women amongst the humans, but Rin's close proximity might be overloading it so you never know. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Attacking them and slaying them to a man might not be in our best interest if our ultimate goal is to cause conflict so that these powers weaken each other. If we do, say, kill them all and leave no survivors
I'd suggest you take another look at the wording of A:
You take the initiative and launch a pre-emptive attack on the camp before they realize you are there. With a violent strike, you could destroy their morale and have any survivors give up.
Obviously, we need some of them to survive, if we want to learn who is who.

However, I imagine you are talking about not letting any of them return, which is something I am very in favor of.

These forces are likely "off the record" and they don't officially exist. Any involvement that they have here will be disavowed.
Isn't that good for us, in a sense that no one would be able to find out what happened to them as there can be no official inquiry? The Methussians won't know they were here, and the Ecclesiocrats won't be able to ask, nor would they be able to afford sending a bigger group.

Esquilax

Arcane
Yes, not letting any of them return is exactly what I was referring to. And yes, the situation would favour a bold assault given the personnel we have. The Ecclesiocrats aren't supposed to be here in the first place, and they can't ask the Methussians about it either. With that in mind, let us be bold.

B A3

I find the other options here to be half-measures to some extent. We take out any non-essential personnel to avoid any leaks, then scoop up the officers in a daring surprise assault. I don't see why we need to hold back here - we need to strike fast and decisively while they least suspect it. You guys might think that this is me doing a complete 180 given that I advocated for diplomacy beforehand, but given the circumstances that we've inferred, the situation around us (we can't allow for any leaks given how weak our position is), and the personnel we have with us, I think that this is the smart move.

Now, treave, will the fact that we've used Gigadyne be obvious from far away? I'd imagine that it would look like a big bomb going off in the distance.

I'm willing to hear any good arguments in favour of diplomacy if someone is willing to give it a shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom