Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't see how we'd be burning bridges.
The moment they step inside the goblin village they will immediately recognize their mistake and realize we aren't related to Methuss. That might prompt them to change their tune, as the presense of a third (actually, fifth) side alone might be important enough that the Princess must hear about it.

A less fanatical and more competent spy would try and angle for some sort of compromise that would potentially allow him to get this information back, or integrate himself with our forces in hopes to influence our decisions in favor of their home country. This is one option that would not work with torture.

Of course, if we simply kill them after getting all the info, we need not concern ourselves with this. Plus, then their potential escape wouldn't be an issue. And they seem too fanatical to cooperate with non-humans in good faith. These factors, too, are worth considering.

Tigranes

Arcane
As Nevill says, we have no way of ensuring that these people really think we are Methuss. For one thing, none of us know anything about Methuss or its angel. It's almost impossible to convince them that two weirdos and a bunch of goblins putting them up are Methuss without relying on sheer dumb luck.

C ensures that they don't escape and our secret is safe, that they don't try any shitty magic shenanigans, and we also have some hope of getting additional information.

GreyViper

Prophet
If we want to be really sneaky we could keep them alive, raid Methuss at some point leave the flag and their corpses behind and that would cement the suspicion if we want both sides to go to war with each other. Or at least rise tension on the border.

Esquilax

Arcane
If we want to be really sneaky we could keep them alive, raid Methuss at some point leave the flag and their corpses behind and that would cement the suspicion if we want both sides to go to war with each other. Or at least rise tension on the border.

We don't even know the nature of the conflict or the situation between these four powers, yet we're contemplating stirring up a war already? Let's figure out what's going on before we start with any cunning plans.

Nevill

Arcane
The Codex is always too concerned with how they should do things to stop and ponder if they should do them at all. :M

But from what I am hearing I heavily suspect that Methussians will be on our shit list shortly. Enslaved angel, anti-non-human sentiments, and potential territory conflict (we are an independent power that is cutting a chunk off their land and establishes their own kingdom there) would quickly ensure that.

I suppose there are ways to make it work and become a Fire Temple to their Tufan, but I don't think this would be the most intuitive course of action.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, not every human realm has non-homos trying to become a power to be reckoned with. It's a combination of those factors.

But to be fair, we only know of one group of religious fanatics and of one Geneva Convention that only involved humans. We don't know how the situation is in other countries.

However, the Eclairs didn't think that a pile of goblin corpses and the body of the Boss strung upside down would prevent Methheads from mistaking them for Galbaldians, so I suppose you might be right.

Esquilax

Arcane
C. Rin is happy, the gobos are happy, really everyone's fine with this except for the humans but it doesn't seem like they were the type to join up with us anyway given their reaction upon seeing us, glad we didn't go with diplomacy after all. Our instincts the moment we came to the field of battle are a matter of some concern and probably indicate a part of why they're so fearful.
It does not seem like the angel that is with Methuss would be serving with them voluntarily. We should start up the Angel Liberation Front with some haste! The kingdom whose territory we've been transported to should be the most doomed one to start with, anyway.

I think that he meant "slave" metaphorically. As in, if you are a subject to Methuss, you are just being duped into serving them, you're nothing but a sucker. He didn't outright say "slave" because he didn't want to provoke the dude who just killed all of his men. This is my interpretation of it, anyways.

As for your point about diplomacy, had we gone the diplomatic route, I suspect that the method of handling it would have been to fool them into thinking that we are with Methuss and then con them into revealing sensitive info about their operation here that way. However, now that we've roused suspicion, and that they've seen the goblins, we aren't going to be fooling anybody. That being said, I suspect that the commander will be very hard to break:

“By the way, we’re not actually allowed in Methussian territory, are we? What if they find us?”

“That’s what that Galbaldian flag is for, dumbass…”
“We are Galbaldian forces sent here to spy on Methuss,” he repeats, his voice quavering. “We expect to be treated accordingly as per the rules of engagement, now that we have announced ourselves. We offer ourselves into your hands in promise of safe and legal treatment.”

“You are not entitled to any expectations. The only thing you lower life forms should offer are your filthy necks, stretched long so that I can reap them with a single blow,” declares Rin coldly.

The commander winces, but he does not give way. He only repeats that he is from Galbaldy. You cast an eye at the other survivors. They are as uncooperative as their leader. It looks like they are resigned to their fate: they seem to expect death at your hands.

Despite the fact that he's close to being killed, he's stuck with his story. Rin might be one hell of an interrogator, but that means nothing if this guy dies before spilling the beans.

Jester

Arbiter
The Codex is always too concerned with how they should do things to stop and ponder if they should do them at all. :M
Paraphrasing quote about people who end up making friging dinosaurs is counter-productive here, unless you want to encourage such behaviours. Next time use mundane boring thing.

Nevill

Arcane
I think that he meant "slave" metaphorically.
I don't. I don't think there are literal manacles on their arms, but one way or the other they are forced into servitude. 'Duped' is just the other way to phrase that.

He also said 'they have an angel', speaking as if she is an item or a weapon. That's a very tangential evidence, but there are signs that 'unnatural' things are not welcome in these parts.

I find that speculation is premature, however, and am willing not to make hasty assumptions. Still, I'd like to meet this person ASAP. She might be able to tell us what we have become and what we might expect in the near future.

That being said, I suspect that the commander will be very hard to break:
He might be playing tough because he thinks we know nothing. They want to avoid involving their country at all costs. If that's no longer an option, things can quickly become different.

Besides, if his mission here is so secret he is willing to die for it, he probably wouldn't reveal it to a Methussian angel anyway.

Regardless of what the commander knows, the mages must be in on the important part of the mission, and they will sing like there is no tomorrow.
Nevill B
Baltika9 C
Grimgravy C
lightbane C>B
Absinthe C
Kz3r0 D
asxetos C
Elfberserker C
Jester C
Kipeci C
Storyfag C
Rex Feral A>B
GreyViper B
Azira B>A
Lambchop19 C>D
ScubaV C
Tigranes C
Kayerts E
archaen B>C
wjw C

A - 1
B - 4
C - 13
D - 1
E - 1

Last edited:

wjw

Augur
Can't we call them on their lie? We know they are not Galbaldian forces... They just carry that flag.

wjw

Augur
Keeping them in prison might be troublesome if Rin and us leave. Anyway...

C for now. We can D them later.

lightbane

Arcane
EMMURE-EDGY-600x600.jpg
Now that's going way overboard IMO. Besides, not only our character is not so cartoonishly ruthless (yet), that also would require too much effort from our lazy ex-scholar.

Esquilax

Arcane
That's the extent of his evil uninhibited sexuality thus far on page 48.

You do realize that we agreed to betray all of mankind for a pair of big 'ol demon titties in the prologue, right? I think most of us are fairly in agreement that we intend to make this character an asshole, the only question is to what extent.

Anyways, I'll refrain from the non-consensual buttfucking for now.

Nevill

Arcane
Now, there is Lawful Evil, there is Chaotic Evil, and then there is a Biowarean reason-defying, self-defeating, mind-numbing Retarded Evil where a character would lock himself out of quests, rewards and content in general just to show the world how big of an asshole he is. :roll:

Lol. Please. Why you coming at me with these lame "He isn't like that (yet)" arguments when I can easily respond "He wasn't a fucking fallen angel until recently either"
Because he is still mostly guided by the very same passions and emotions that he had when he was human. He still has Mieren's death as one of his primary motivations behind his actions. He didn't wake up one day and instantly forget who he was.

And he was a Hero. A poor Hero, to be sure, but he was one nonetheless.

"Lazy Ex-Scholar" meaning "Doesn't want to fuck" would imply that he thinks fucking is hard work. That ranks up there with "breathing in and out... too much effort!"
This is a decidedly false interpretation of our character.

Laziness does not make the entirety of our motivations. Our character does like materialistic pleasures, and he is willing to go to great lengths for them. It just means that most of the time he is choosing the path of least resistance to do so, or picks a shortcut.

This is, in fact, how he got in this whole mess, by cutting corners and jumping sides to get the most beautiful girl in the world alongside with a position of power without actually having the corresponding responsibilities. And he got burned for it, too, which might serve as a reminder for the future that lazyness and shortcuts are only good if they work out for you.

Again, the path of least resistance does not mean he is not about to lift a finger to wipe his ass, it means that he prefers to spend minimum effort to get maximum gains. What he considers a gain may be open to interpretation. For example, was it necessary to exercise himself beyond his limits during a fight with the Minotaur? Not really. But there was also an added benefit of showing Rin that we aren't a pushover, and the residents who is the boss around here - which is one of the reasons the goblins worship us instead of a much more pro-active demoness - and that, in our mind, was worth it.

What a forever-alone bitch you've made him so far. Page 48.
And prologue accounts for half of those, since the game has only started on page 22. How come we did not turn our Hero into a mindless drooling MAXIMUM EDGE automation who has a Pavlovian reflex to fuck everything he sees to death in the very first 10 chapters? Is this the Codex, the dreaded cesspool of scum and villainy, or what?! :argh:

If anything, the number of pages is more indicative of nearly thirty voters having a taste for a healthy discussion than of our inability to achieve anything when we just barely arrived in a completely new world.

If his supposed evil is ever going to unlock at all, it better start happening soon.
Yes, this is what it comes to in the end.

What I see in this request for sadism is 'I want to be EVUL to unlock more EVUL to become the ULTIMATE EVUL. For EVULZ.'

Me? I want to be successful, and I don't very much care where it comes from. There is a notable difference in motivation here. :M

How do I define success? Well, nothing really changed since we chose the character:
You like women, you like money, you like success, but more than anything else, you like to expend effort thinking up ways to get all the lovely things you like without effort.
Women, money, power, and intellectual superiority over physical prowess. That's what gets my character going. We have chosen a more scholarly type to take a break from the BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD GRRLLLBRRRLLL warrior types. I don't see excessive sadism bringing us closer to any of those things. Why go through the bother of forcing your people and be a tyrant when you can make them beg for your guidance instead?

So far, our actions, while not exactly good, had a measure of sense in them. We betrayed the Light because the Demon Lord's offer was just better (and we wouldn't have to risk our life for it) - a shame it didn't work out, but it wasn't due to our fault. We have wiped out half of the goblin populace because we thought we needed to establish dominance. We have attacked the invaders because their actions were threatening us, and we intend to torture them because they have information that is crucial to our survival and they have decided to be very uncooperative. Every action has a reason behind it, and the fall - if you can call it that - is natural.

Taking blood baths after eating eyeballs of your enemies' pets is not. It doesn't work, not on the story level, nor on the meta one, since I can't really see people who chose one character do a sudden 180 and start playing him as his complete opposite.

Doesn't mean that this character development can't get a following, but I wouldn't count on it to happen very soon, and you might expect a certain amount of resistance.

TL: DR - Efficiency over Evulz, or in the words of one Starcraft GM: 'our BM is never prioritized over our macro'. :salute:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Not so you'd notice, but you are arguing that you would be locked out of quests and rewards for overt villainy in a game that is called Overlord.
Not for overt villainy. For stupid villainy. Which really is just 'stupidity' with an evil flavor.

And boy, did we get punished for being stupid before.

There's a reason why all the usual Evil cliches are always over-the-top and lead to self-destruction.
But what if I am just not interested in the self-destruction part?
philosoraptor.png

I would like to see the story to completion and have the Goddesses and Theseuses pay before I would FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME!!1!1

Who should I believe... you or the actual story? They can't both be right.
They can. We felt the craving, and shut it off because it felt wrong. Guess why it did.

How to cope with our transformation is our choice. What I am trying to say is that I don't intend to supplant the desires we started with with these new ones.

I am certainly not giving up my lust for women in favor of homosexual butt-rape! :rpgcodex:

Nevill

Arcane
Nah. I get it. I was the one who said that I am not interested in a villain whose goal is to get MORE POWAH, or who uses evil as a tool, but in the one who takes genuine pleasure in what he is doing.

It's just that the tastes of your character are rather... XTREME for my liking. I don't want him to take pleasure in that just as I don't like him to engage in 'Uhihihi!' acts.

And I also have somewhat of a crush on a 'villain by necessity' thing we have going.

Our character have betrayed the world, have been betrayed by the world, nearly died and was reborn as an angel, got enemies in highest places, got entangled with a former arch-enemy, got a following of cat-people, turned a minotaur to ash, and blasted a squad of former human brethren almost all by himself. That's a little bit more interesting than an average accountant has it.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, treave did mention that this will be a chaotic neutral romp against everything, so I see no reason for our for dude to jump off the deep end and become insane over night. And we didn't pick the Hedonist Noble/literal Prince of Excess at character creation. This is a different character.
Besides, I can't see the non-human species uniting behind us if we do this:
This "I'm a horny evil sex-beast that hasn't fucked anything yet" meme is getting a little boring.

Modified C. We join the fun big time.

It's the fucking "Last Days of Sodom" up in this bitch. We personally rape the shit out of these prisoners until they tell us some shit worthing hearing. Fuck asses with their blood and tears as lube, cut off dicks and feed 'em to the gobbos. Rip out eyes and skull fuck, spiked dildos causing prolapsed rectums. You mortals bore me.
For fun.

Rex Feral

Prophet
If we ever get to "ripping out eyes and skull-fucking" I hope I get a good transition to that. As in give us a reason to skull-fuck someone more than "for the lulz", and show the character's evolution in steps as to be believable.

I don't want a cliche villain, but more than that I don't want any incongruence in our character's development. One moment he's healing little goblins who venerate him and acting pretty rational, and the next he's skull fucking people for fun.

Esquilax

Arcane
"DEVOUR SOUL!", sphere diplomacy...

DEVOUR SOUL was indeed Stupid Evil, but Sphere Diplomacy was the sort of idiocy that can only be done by the purest and most noble of intentions. "OH GOD WE HAVE TO GET BACK TO EARTH BEFORE THE MASTERS NUKE IT, QUICK LETS ASK THESE HELPFUL SPHERES FOR DIRECTIONS BACK HOME THEYLL HELP US BROS!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom