Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Absinthe

Arcane
Look, I've seen the way you guys are "simply" and "reasonably" producing results with that method. It's completely ridiculous because it's all predicated on Fish votes going over and then suddenly no longer going over which would induce bull votes to go over and no longer go over and then archer votes go over and no longer go over in order to produce your final results. No take-backs on resolution, ffs. Maybe you're not resolving votes sequentially but as a series of super-positions, but this is all still fucking dumb resulting in a multitude of end-states from a single vote-count, which means no, you do not get to pretend your method is a sane or intuitive method of resolving vote-counts. The only thing your vote resolution method seems to specialize in is creating end-states that are not resolveable, like now. So I'm going to go out on a wild limb and say that maybe, just maybe, your idea is just fucking awful and we're not going to do it.

So again, we're sticking with just eliminating the lowest vote options and flopping their votes accordingly when resolving ranked preference votes, instead of your weird shit.

Which brings us back to Archer beating Bull, 9 votes to 7.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
+1 Fish with Fish up to 6, the run off doesn't happen and we don't get Bull overtaking Archer. And fuck y'all fr not counting my vote in the background thing.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
And the reason I go with Fish is because I agree with the idea that being just mediocre at everything is not fun at all. We should definitely specialize in one aspect or another, and I think it's easier to raise a skill from a 3 to a 4 than it is to raise a 6 to a 7. Bull is also very exciting, and I am tempted to pick it, but I want to explore the Astra mechanisms and the Bull just doesn't facilitate that. Plus, I think us having to deal with low Charisma, whether that's us being supremely ugly, smelly, or autistic will pose some very interesting challenges. I won't be super gutted if Bull wins out over Fish, as long as we don't get boring Archer.

EDIT: And our high Con will allow us to get people drunk as fuck, which will help our Charisma!

Baltika9

Arcane
None of this would've happened had you just picked the Virgin like all the decent, smart and handsome people virgins around here.

And the reason I go with Fish is because I agree with the idea that being just mediocre at everything is not fun at all. We should definitely specialize in one aspect or another, and I think it's easier to raise a skill from a 3 to a 4 than it is to raise a 6 to a 7. Bull is also very exciting, and I am tempted to pick it, but I want to explore the Astra mechanisms and the Bull just doesn't facilitate that. Plus, I think us having to deal with low Charisma, whether that's us being supremely ugly, smelly, or autistic will pose some very interesting challenges. I won't be super gutted if Bull wins out over Fish, as long as we don't get boring Archer.
Comrades, why support Fish and Virgin, when you can support Glorious Revolutionary Comrade Bull? Bull crush puny fish. Bull eat puny fish and become stronger from protein. Comrade Bull give rides to nice virgin girls and treats them like a gentleman. Comrade Bull is wise, and can use magic, but is also big and strong and handsome.

Look at his adorable face. His glorious muscles. His gigantic, red... pectorals. How can you say no to Comrade Bull?
hqdefault.jpg

Support our Glorious Revolutionary Comrade Bull!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Comrades, why support Fish and Virgin, when you can support Glorious Revolutionary Comrade Bull? Bull crush puny fish. Bull eat puny fish and become stronger from protein. Comrade Bull give rides to nice virgin girls and treats them like a gentleman. Comrade Bull Comrade Bull is wise, and can use, but is also big and strong and handsome.
I'd rather not play a self-insert in a CYOA.

Absinthe

Arcane
+1 Fish with Fish up to 6, the run off doesn't happen and we don't get Bull overtaking Archer. And fuck y'all fr not counting my vote in the background thing.
Damn that is bad. Updated the tally. Your vote (Hunter) won anyway and treave didn't push an update yet either, but yeah. I'll be a lot more diligent about counting in the future. With that said, the final result this brings us to is Bull 7, Archer 6, Fish 6, so the Bull does overtake Archer, with a dead tie for second place.

Having experienced Legend, he doesn't really give us an easier time upgrading lower stats than high stats. It was all the same time investment during maniac island training votes. And we had a choice between raising agility and perception or charisma and int right after prologue too. Also, I disagree with the idea that Archer is mediocre or boring. Jing from Legend was very fun and effective, and he had a wide stat spread too (since we dumped Luck). Being a clever Hunter definitely has its appeal, and I'm also partial to exploring the Traps skill for once. Anyway, Fish is still a better vote than Bull.

EDIT: And our high Con will allow us to get people drunk as fuck, which will help our Charisma!
We'll have high enough Con to drink people under the table either way, even if we were somehow to stay at 6 con as Archer (which we won't, most likely).

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Voting tallies:

Initial tally:
Goat 1
Oscar Goat>Water-bearer>Bull>Ram​
Bull 6
Baltika9 Bull>Tiger>Ram>Fish
Kz3ro Bull
Lambchop19 Bull>Fish
Zerafall Bull
ERYFKRAD Lion=Bull​
Ram 1
Egosphere Ram>Archer​
Archer 2
Absinthe Archer>Twins
asxetos Archer​
Fish 7
Nevill Fish
Azira Fish>Archer>Virgin>Scorpion
Grimgravy Fish>Archer
Hello Friend Fish>Twins>Virgin>Archer
Esquilax Fish>Virgin
ItsChon Fish
Kipeci Fish>Bull
Tigranes Fish>Archer​
Twins 2
Baud Twins>Virgin
Smashing Axe Twins>Archer>Lion>Ram​
Lion 1
CappenVarra Lion>Virgin>Goat>Twins>Ram>Balance>Water-bearer>Crab>Scorpion>Archer>Fish>Bull​
Virgin 1
Life of a Party Virgin>Archer>Twins>Fish​

1st Runoff: (Goat, Ram, Lion, and Virgin eliminated)
Bull 6
Kz3ro Bull
Lambchop19 Bull>Fish
Zerafall Bull
ERYFKRAD Lion=Bull
Archer 4
Absinthe Archer>Twins
asxetos Archer
Egosphere Ram>Archer
Life of a Party Virgin>Archer>Twins>Fish​
Fish 7
Nevill Fish
Grimgravy Fish>Archer
Esquilax Fish>Virgin
ItsChon Fish
Kipeci Fish>Bull
Tigranes Fish>Archer​
Twins 3
Baud Twins>Virgin
Smashing Axe Twins>Archer>Lion>Ram
CappenVarra Lion>Virgin>Goat>Twins>Ram>Balance>Water-bearer>Crab>Scorpion>Archer>Fish>Bull​

2nd Runoff: (Twins eliminated)
Bull 6
Kz3ro Bull
Lambchop19 Bull>Fish
Zerafall Bull
ERYFKRAD Lion=Bull
Archer 6
Absinthe Archer>Twins
asxetos Archer
Egosphere Ram>Archer
CappenVarra Lion>Virgin>Goat>Twins>Ram>Balance>Water-bearer>Crab>Scorpion>Archer>Fish>Bull
Life of a Party Virgin>Archer>Twins>Fish
Smashing Axe Twins>Archer>Lion>Ram​
Fish 8
Nevill Fish
Grimgravy Fish>Archer
Esquilax Fish>Virgin
ItsChon Fish
Kipeci Fish>Bull
Tigranes Fish>Archer​
Final tally:
Bull 6
Archer 6
Fish 8​

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Hm, Nahel and lightbane have not yet voted on astrological sign. So please feel free to vote and resolve the new deadlock.

For reference, the winning background was this:

The Novice Hunter

The strange vastness of the Tower harbours both wide rolling plains and unexplored forests within it. You are a young orphan apprenticed to a hunter, residing in one of the countless, remote, nondescript villages that populate these areas. You spend your day learning single-mindedly how to hunt, and nothing else, somewhat stunting your imagination and sociability.
(Strength +1, Dexterity +1, Constitution +2, Charisma -1, Intelligence -1)

Starts with:
Ranged Weapons +1, Stealth +1, Traps +1​

The top 3 astrological signs are:
Astra of Vrsabha (The Bull) Affinity: Earth, fixation
Strength +2, Dexterity -1, Constitution +2, Intelligence -1​
Astra of Dhanusa (The Archer) Affinity: Fire, mutability
Strength -1, Constitution -1, Intelligence +2, Wisdom +1, Charisma +1​
Astra of Mina (The Fish) Affinity: Water, mutability
Strength -1, Constitution +1, Intelligence +1, Wisdom +2, Charisma -1​

Treave informed us of the following regarding astra types:
Dynamism: The Astra is of a type that emits its power externally. A sword firing sword beams, or a hoe that carves an entire furrow with a single swing, or manipulation of external objects ala telekinesis, among others.
Fixation: The Astra enhances the target. A sword that makes the user faster, a hoe gives the user more stamina, or targetable abilities such as enhancing the natural regeneration of a patient.
Mutability: The Astra's power is based in transformation and conjuration. A cloak that can change to act as active camouflage, bracelets which enable the user to transform into a wolf, or the conjuration of objects out of thin air.​

In addition he informed us that our sign will not determine our personality. That will be decided by prologue choices (and we are starting as a kid). Based on our character sheet having "Astras" as a field (in the plural), I am guessing that we will be able to acquire multiple astras over time.

Stat-ups will be rare in a treave CYOA, and usually only come from votes where we dedicate a significant amount of time and effort towards developing along a particular path. My guess is that we will have such a vote shortly after prologue ends, at which point we will probably get a small list of options for +1 to two different stats.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Oh yeah, CappenVarra and baud, both of your options are not going anywhere, so if you want to change your vote to help resolve the current deadlock, that would be appreciated.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Looking at the last page, I have no idea what's going on with the voting anymore but I'll check back again in around 7 hours. Will probably lock things in by then. :lol:

Kipeci

Arcane
Fish > Bull

Tempting me back with the Astra... but I do like either option that has something unique to Hunter, just so long as we don’t get some featureless blob of Archer.

Esquilax

Arcane
Comrades, why support Fish and Virgin, when you can support Glorious Revolutionary Comrade Bull?
Because Bull sounds boring.
Yeah, we said that about Guo Fu back during Legend. And then we were regretting not picking him down the line.

Well, there were a lot of regrets as I recall. There was the Slumrat equivalent background in Legend, in which our Prologue would involve flying out of a rich maiden's bedchamber while her boyfriend/husband had come back home - THAT my friend, is regret.

BRO Fu was an awesome character - and in fact, I recall going for Pig Farmer at first (a fool blessed with great luck), but I'm kinda glad that it didn't turn out that way.

Absinthe

Arcane
Yeah, we said that about Guo Fu back during Legend. And then we were regretting not picking him down the line.
What? Guo Fu was a bro but I don't recall a whole lot of us wanting to be Guo Fu. The biggest regret in Legend chargen was not going Dragon-rabbit (aka the Drabbit) hybrid. If we wanted to be like Guo Fu all we needed to do was invest into 1 point of constitution and learn his skills, which we didn't.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Oh yeah, CappenVarra and baud, both of your options are not going anywhere, so if you want to change your vote to help resolve the current deadlock, that would be appreciated.
well, hell, what, ok:

lion > virgin > goat > twins > ram > balance > water bearer > crab > scorpion > archer > fish > bull

thanks for making me choose among the 3 least appealing options

Baltika9

Arcane
thanks for making me choose among the 3 least appealing options
Instead of embracing the reactionary discontent that our Comrade Bull's detractors are foisting on you, why not join us? Why not support the Broletarian cause?
Comrade Bull is simple, yes, but he is a strong and enduring man, wise and dependable. Comrade Bull has a personality, and an interesting story.

C'mon, guys, it'll be fun.

Absinthe

Arcane
Guys, if we have any more Twins votes in here we could have Twins gather up a dark horse win. Why have a 3-way when we could have a 4-way? :lol:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What does everyone think of the Twins? The stats are respectable, kind of make me think of Aragorn.
Too focused on physical stats. Of course, so is the Bull, but the Bull is riduculously over the top in that department and lacking in other areas, which makes him distinct. The Twins is just like the Archer, lots of middling fives, and two barely-above-average stats.

...if one of them were WIS I'd consider it.

As it is, I like the Virgin spread. If Archers switch to it, I might even betray the glorious Fishing cause.

(yeah, let's have a floppocalypse in the last few hours of voting, why not...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom