Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LP: It's Oblivion Baby! Oblivion!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
This is the extent of my conjuring ability. If you blow on him he goes down. Not overly useful but the summons have to get better.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-41-46-17.jpg

Mud Crab - Horrible creatures.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-44-06-71.jpg

I forgot about this quest. Nothing like a good MMO collection quest in your single player RPG.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-45-19-59.jpg

According to a FCOM help thread the Sidways Cave is pretty good for a lvl 1 character. At least the first level is. So off we go.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-46-35-71.jpg

Deadly Rat Combat:
Oblivion2009-06-1701-47-08-34.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-47-46-20.jpg

Imps
Oblivion2009-06-1701-48-46-39.jpg

Bigger Imp
Oblivion2009-06-1701-49-02-95.jpg

Gotta Love Cultists:
Oblivion2009-06-1701-52-36-43.jpg

Decent armor for cannon fodder. Better than mine.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-53-07-20.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1701-53-31-87.jpg

This is what he was guarding:
Oblivion2009-06-1701-54-31-03.jpg

This was in the chest - I have no idea what it is.
Oblivion2009-06-1701-55-46-75.jpg

Bat death by fireball:
Oblivion2009-06-1701-56-19-03.jpg

Someone not as awesome as me:
Oblivion2009-06-1701-58-36-78.jpg

Imp death by lightning:
Oblivion2009-06-1701-59-48-46.jpg

Bat death by Skeleton:
Oblivion2009-06-1702-03-04-70.jpg

Onto lvl 2 of the cave:
Oblivion2009-06-1701-58-14-35.jpg

Killed a few more bats and imps then ran into these guys.
Oblivion2009-06-1702-05-32-64.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1702-05-39-76.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1702-06-36-15.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1702-08-37-76.jpg

It worked best to nuke them a few times from a distance, hide behind a corner then beat on them till they died. My skeleton died pretty instantly against them and was of no use. Here is my punk strategy in action:
Oblivion2009-06-1702-09-36-21.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1702-09-59-62.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1702-13-11-10.jpg

Can't remember what these are for:
Oblivion2009-06-1702-16-03-15.jpg

Oblivion2009-06-1702-16-09-90.jpg

This is what ended my Sidways adventure:
Oblivion2009-06-1702-18-49-96.jpg

Here is the Imp unloading on me:
Oblivion2009-06-1702-21-02-43.jpg

Here I am about to die:
Oblivion2009-06-1702-21-50-04.jpg

After 5 attempts to kill this bastard I called it a day and decided pose stoically for a photo opportunity:
Oblivion2009-06-1702-28-40-31.jpg

Seboss

Liturgist
Giskard said:
Elder Scroll fans made the past 3 years the worst of my life because I was stupid and shared mods with them.
Sounds like TESF all right. It's a wonder such a self-destructive community could last so long.

DraQ

Arcane
dragonfk said:
DraQ said:
Second, the magic system in Oblivion had been castrated in a manner so loathsome, repugnant and vile, that the quoted sentence alone should warrant you a 'dumbfuck!' tag, my good sir.

Third, the hybrid of the worst traits of an RPGish and action combat systems can't surpass even the least graceful implementation of an RPG mechanics crudely grafted on top of an FPS engine. The latter is still a traditional RPGish combat, with all the inherent advantages and disadvantages, while the former is an eldritch abomination that should be purged with fire.

As far as combat and magic is concerned you seem not to know what you are talking about. Tell me Draq when was the last time you had played Morrowind and Oblivion?

Let's see...

Magic:

Teleportation spells removed, levitation removed, sound removed, sanctuary removed, enchant skill removed, jump removed, slowfall removed, telekinesis rendered useless (despite the physical engine's potential to turn it into something awesome), detect enchantment and detect key spells removed, lock spell removed, swift-swim effect removed, spell effects no longer applied sequentially (which may look good at first, but greatly reduces number of potentially useful and interesting custom spells), number of simultaneous summons reduced to one, skill-, luck- and willpower-based chance to fail at spellcasting removed, chance to fail at alchemy removed, poison effect removed, stupid five-tier system introduced, enchanting freedom reduced, counterintuitive and stupid alchemy system added (advanced alchemist may be unable to use tried recipes from his lower levels due to undesirable side effects), spell projectiles no longer generated based on all effects.

The good things?
More useful "detect life effect", ability to brew poisons, separate "cast" button, spell cost reduction according to skill, willpower based magicka regeneration.

Sorry, doesn't cut it.

Combat:

Damage scaling replacing to-hit rolls leads to all sorts of shittiness:

-pinpoint accuracy with bow at low skill levels combined with negligible damage leads to people running around at nearly full health with heads resembling pincushions

-slamming claymore into the face of an unarmoured enemy several times doesn't take them down at low skill level.

-removing random element of to-hit rolls in absence of good combat AI capable of random or adaptive behaviour leads to combat being extremely repetitive and boring.

Armour class system is shit:

-it's extremely simplistic compared to Morrowind's, being simple percentage reduction capped at 85%, while in MW more complex formula is used allowing for broader range of AC and causing welcome side-effects, like high damage weapons penetrating armour much more effectively.

-it uses AC averaged over all locations for calculations, so boots, for example, protect character's head*, where MW used random function to determine hit location, then checked for the armour class for this location.

*)
czlowiek-kalosz-532-OBRAZKY.PL.jpg

Blocking is shit:

-damage mysteriously seeps through shields - if you stab my shield with a dagger, you'll hurt me

-blocking huge warhammer with tiny dagger is perfectly possible and confers no penalties other than blocking with weapon in general does

-blocking with weapons is done by accepting blows on the edge of your weapon, which is lunacy

Attacking is shit and perks are bland:

-No separate preferred attack types for different weapons - in MW you'd do best to stab with a short sword, but chop with an axe, in OB you always swing a dagger in the exact same manner as you would a mace

-no cool knock-down and stagger mechanics based on multiple factors, like oponent's agility, damage dealt and weapon weight (enchanting basic hammer with drain agility on strike is funfunfun in MW), simplistic perk-based system is used instead.

-removing random element from knock-down/stagger mechanics, in absence of good combat AI capable of random or adaptive behaviour, leads to combat being extremely repetitive and boring.

-special attacks given by perks are generic - they have arbitrary effects and are the same for all weapons.

-the most powerful special attack for axe or mace is stab, conversely, you can only stab with a dagger when your skill with blades is 100

Misc stupidities:

-axes are blunt

-no spears, crossbows, staves (ones not being rocket launchers, that is) or thrown weapons

-claymores and daggers belong to the same weapon class

-agility plays virtually no part in melee

-mail is light

-material progression is downright cheesy (glass is heavier and more durable than steel and is used to make hammers and bows, r00fles!)

-level scaling and loot scaling helps homogenize combat even further

Your point was?
Yes, the swooshing sound made by your weapon when swung around was nifty for the first minute or two.

Helton said:
BS

Better fit if you ask me.
I tremble before your vitriolic wit. :roll:

racofer

Thread Incliner
oldmanpaco, could you please make a video of this with voice overs? It's so boring and not cool to read written text.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
My god, those mods truly transform Oblivion.

The graphics are actually looking decent, and the game just seems a whole lot more interesting. There is just simply a better setup to everything.

Misc stupidities:

-axes are blunt

manual says that it's because they're wielded more or less the same way and have more or less the same weight, therefore training with them is similar enough to put them in the same category despite axes not being actually blunt weapons. Dunno about that.

-material progression is downright cheesy (glass is heavier and more durable than steel and is used to make hammers and bows, r00fles!)

IIRC, it's not like our glass, it's just the name. Their Ebony is a metal instead of wood like ours, too. As some funtrivia, Ultima had a glass sword that killed most enemies in 1hit, that shatters after 1 use.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:

IIRC, it's not like our glass, it's just the name.
Just like their chainmail is not like our chainmail, it's just the name, amirite?
After all you fix it by hammering, and it's cotton-light. :roll:

Lesson #1:
No amount of explaining away will make truly stupid crap any less dumb.

Lesson #2:
Attempts at such explanations only make the one making them seem dumb by extension, so don't do it.

Especially that:
Bethesduh said:
Glass
These light and elegant weapons of Elven manufacture feature extravagant use of rare metals and cutting edges made from rare crystalline materials. Duellists and assassins appreciate the delicate balance and sinister sharpness of glass weapons.
Sorry, they *are* light and neither bows, nor blunt weapons use cutting edges to deal damage.

Also, the comparison of weights between steel and glass weapon counterparts in MW hints at the density of MW glass being similar to density to our silicates (and glass), MW glass weapons are also pretty fragile compared to metal ones (low durability stat).

The material progression in Oblivion, on the other hand, is simply linear increase of damage, durability and weight, with glass being much heavier than steel, steel heavier than iron, and elven weapons curiously heavier than their dwarven counterparts.
It could very well be replaced by simple
+1 < +2 < +3 <...< infinity plus one < MULTIHEADED DICK*
order and no one would have noticed, nor cared.

Their Ebony is a metal instead of wood like ours, too.
Ebony is also a colour (derived from that wood, admittedly), and TES ebony is blackish (ebony, heh), semi-metallic, semi-glassy mineral, that is, depending on the theory, either fossilized blood of a god, or mundane matter transformed by the contact with ripped out heart of a god, accounting for it's unusual properties.

*) THAT CAN HIT BOTH ASS AND LEG OH GOD ITS HEAVAN, obviously.

The Wizard

Educated
it's pretty much the blood of lorkhan mixed with vulcanic glass as far as i remember and only found on vvardenfell. glass is, by the way, also something from red mountain, almost as light as leather.

:uselesstrivia:

DraQ

Arcane
The Wizard said:
it's pretty much the blood of lorkhan mixed with vulcanic glass as far as i remember and only found on vvardenfell. glass is, by the way, also something from red mountain, almost as light as leather.

:uselesstrivia:
I had an interesting discussion with resident geology/science in general geek nicknamed Wierd on the subject of glass and ebony back when I was posting on TESF.

Lore discussions are about the only thing I miss from TESF.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Seboss said:
Giskard said:
Elder Scroll fans made the past 3 years the worst of my life because I was stupid and shared mods with them.
Sounds like TESF all right. It's a wonder such a self-destructive community could last so long.

Most of the community is nice, bordering on sickeningly nice.
Giskard OTOH is a paranoid, raving lunatic who perceives anything less than grovelling and fawning about his mods as "mod bashing", and he and his disciples (mostly insecure little girls) will "report" any message that is not 100% positive to Giskard's mods.

Their Ebony is a metal instead of wood like ours, too.

Ebony is also a colour (derived from that wood, admittedly), and TES ebony is blackish (ebony, heh), semi-metallic, semi-glassy mineral, that is, depending on the theory, either fossilized blood of a god, or mundane matter transformed by the contact with ripped out heart of a god, accounting for it's unusual properties.

I knew that, and now I feel like punishing you for telling me something I already know.

Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord, why dont we?
We all know that people are the same where ever we go
There is good and bad in evryone,
We learn to live, we learn to give
Each other what we need to survive together alive.

Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why dont we?

Ebony, ivory living in perfect harmony
Ebony, ivory, ooh

We all know that people are the same where ever we go
There is good and bad in evryone,
We learn to live, we learn to give
Each other what we need to survive together alive.

Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why dont we?

Ebony, ivory living in perfect harmony (repeat and fade)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
oldmanpaco said:
Well before I run off to kill things I thought I would check out the market to see if I could upgrade my equipment at all. In the grand Bioware tradition this guy ran up and started to talk to me.
Oblivion2009-06-1700-55-30-45.jpg

Apparently I'm the one everyone is looking for.

That one is actually from a mod called Cybiades - Daggerfall Memories.
Personally I edited the mod so that the guy would only hunt me down after I had reached 35 fame.

Seboss

Liturgist
octavius said:
As long as you swoon other Bethesda's games and their developers, yes, but they sure get rabid at the slightest hint of negativity. Hardly a way to move forward.
Giskard OTOH is a paranoid, raving lunatic who perceives anything less than grovelling and fawning about his mods as "mod bashing"
Dunno about that, but from what I've read here and there, it seems you need a lot of nerves to work with this community.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
Misc stupidities:

-axes are blunt

and let me guess, you think an epee or rapier should be classified as swords right?

just you try to use an epee or rapier like a longsword or hell even a shortsword and see how well you do.

try to use an axe like a sword, and its the same deal.

Balor

Arcane
Question is, the only really dumb thing Bethesda did when it comes to 'blunt' skills - is that it didn't call it 'Hafted weapons' instead.

It is traditional way of calling weapons with long handles that include hammers, maces AND axes.

And no, axe and sword are very different - perhaps less so then axe and epee, but still.

I was a bit into historical fencing and read a lot about this stuff, I know whta I'm talking about.

Well, perhaps SOME swords, like falchion, is very axe-like, but sabers don't 'chop' - they cut, and thrusting swords rely on mauevers you cannot really do with an axe :P.

KurtH

Liturgist
That, my dear man, was my point. Now, I must politely axe you to quit your yhammering.

DefJam101

Arcane
octavius said:
oldmanpaco said:
Well before I run off to kill things I thought I would check out the market to see if I could upgrade my equipment at all. In the grand Bioware tradition this guy ran up and started to talk to me.
Oblivion2009-06-1700-55-30-45.jpg

Apparently I'm the one everyone is looking for.

That one is actually from a mod called Cybiades - Daggerfall Memories.
Personally I edited the mod so that the guy would only hunt me down after I had reached 35 fame.

Cybiades is a pretty cool mod. Does the 'r00fles!' thing much better than the Shiverwinter Rooflepeaks did. Wait until you're higher level, though. It's pretty much impossible to beat until you have decent gear.

The 'Tiny Mudcrabs' made me lol more than they should have. I saw them and immediately said D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

terrible creatures

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Seboss said:
octavius said:
As long as you swoon other Bethesda's games and their developers, yes, but they sure get rabid at the slightest hint of negativity. Hardly a way to move forward.
Giskard OTOH is a paranoid, raving lunatic who perceives anything less than grovelling and fawning about his mods as "mod bashing"
Dunno about that, but from what I've read here and there, it seems you need a lot of nerves to work with this community.
You kidding? TES General that doesn't have a thread that says how oblivion screwed up in some form or another a day is an oddity. That, and the Forums have calmed down since the release days considerably.

As for sucking developer epeen...I think Princess Stomper outdoes them all. Her obsession with Todd and Pete make the at-release worshippers look like casual fans.

That, and Giskard was a dick. No one mourned his departure and his mods were so horridly unclean. He would never let people even go near them though, because cleaning his mods was like slapping him in the face. He nearly brought a whole modding team to a crashing halt because of his antics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom