Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP] Lord Captain, you've served your time in Hell! Codex plays Lords of Infinity, a text RPG of Politics and Warfare

[Sorry, fell off the whole "carousel of life" thingy for a few days.

Rolled to resolve tie between options 1 and 3.

And the winner is:]

I shall invite a few tenants, but only the most suitable.

It isn't too difficult to assemble a dozen or so names of those of your tenants most worthy of being added to your list of invitees. They are all of them what might be considered pillars of the community: local leaders, particularly respected shopkeepers, young men of unusually polished manner, and young women of particular attractiveness.

Of course, "worthy" is a relative term. Out of the whole lot, you can only imagine Saundersley—with his classical university education and attitudes more fit for a member of the minor gentry than the commons—dealing with the truly genteel inhabitants of the Baneblooded aristocracy with anything resembling the appropriate decorum. You have little doubt that your invited tenants, for all of the respectability they may command in the village, will make complete oafs of themselves in the manor, and do much to mar any attempt to uphold an air of refinement.

You know it, they know it. Yet when you send the invitations out, those lucky few thus selected are, by all accounts, overjoyed. More than one sends a handwritten letter of thanks. Almost all come to pay their respects in person, never mind the cold autumn rains.

In many ways, Baneblood and commoner live in altogether different worlds, and it is a rare occasion indeed when the latter might be allowed entry into the realm of the former in any capacity save that of a servant. To offer such folk a chance to do so is to give them a reason to think very highly of you, indeed.

And that gratitude is more than worth the trouble of earning it.

---

Fall yields to winter, but the cold season proves a mild one, certainly far less terrible than the one which came before. The rain still turns to snow, of course, but the drifts of white which cover your lands this year prove a far more threadbare blanket than the thick coat of the year past. On most days, it's even possible to go out of doors with little inconvenience, the weather being cold enough to freeze the ground solid, but not so cold as to make the outside entirely inhospitable.

Through it all, your preparations continue. Though the ball is still weeks away, there is still much to do, especially if you intend for your guests to leave at the end of the evening with the desired impression. If you mean to ensure the success of your enterprise, you'll have to take every measure possible to delight, excite, and otherwise overawe those on your invitation list.

There are some things your guests are almost certain to expect as a given. They'll want a good dinner, to be sure, the more fashionable and expensive the fare, the better. Good music too, they will expect. You're likely to be unable to get away with anything less than a professional ensemble of musicians.

You're also likely to need to have new clothes made for the evening. While you're too far from Aetoria to be expected to appear in the very latest fashion, you will still be expected to make some sort of an effort—and the tall river-and-mountain boots of your dress uniform may look quite handsome when you're standing up straight, but you very much doubt they'll be anything but great encumbrances on the dance floor.

Then, perhaps, there is the most frivolous and extraordinary measure of all.

You've been informed that it has recently once again become the fashion to accompany the staging of a ball or other great entertainment by the illumination of the outside of one's house with a profusion of lanterns, outlining the site of such a revel with what appears from a distance like a great, ghostly halo of bright light. It is an undertaking which is likely to be of great expense and trouble, as you must have the lanterns made and positioned on site, but it may perhaps be just what's needed to distinguish your ball as truly memorable.

If you can justify the cost.

1) I will budget 75 Crown for the hiring of musicians.

2) It's time I made arrangements for food and drink.

3) I must see to new outfits.

4) I shall spend an extra 50 Crown for preparations to illuminate the house.

As of the Winter of the 615 of the Old Imperial Era:

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga, Baron Ezinbrooke
Captain, Royal Dragoons (half-pay)

Current Funds: 1743 Crown
Debts: 10660 Crown

Bi-Annual Income (Personal): 135 Crown
Bi-Annual Estate Revenues: 264 Crown

Bi-Annual Estate Expenses: 350 Crown
Bi-Annual Interest Payments: 107 Crown

Total Net Income (Next Six Months): -58 Crown

Soldiering: 70%

Charisma: 41%

Intellect: 9%

Health: 62%

Idealism: 54% ; Cynicism: 46%

Ruthlessness: 38% ; Mercy: 62%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear Bane-hardened armour and wield a Bane-runed sword.

Friends and Associates

Javier Campos: Colour Sergeant, the Royal Dragoons.
(Born 583 OIE)

Victor d'al Reyes: Eldest son of Baron Reyes. Major, the 8th Regiment of Foot. Formerly Commander, the Experimental Corps of Riflemen. ~Lost arm at Blogia~
(Born: 583 OIE)

James d'al Sandoral: Captain (half-pay), the Royal Dragoons.
(Born 592 OIE)

Efraim Saundersley: Solicitor-on-Retainer to the House of Ortiga.
(Born 570 OIE)

Octave d'al Touravon: Baron Touravon, Father of Alisanne d'al Touravon.
(Born 556 OIE)

Enemies

Hiir Cassius vam Holt: Takaran Ambassador to Tierra. Eldest son to Richsgraav vam Holt.
(Born 527 OIE)

Eleanora d'al Welles: Countess Welles. Proponent of Military Reform. Friend to Isobel, the Princess-Royal. ~Died at Blogia~
(Born 587 OIE)

Ezinbrooke, a barony within the Duchy of Cunaris, possessed of 132 rent-paying households.

Respectability: 48%

Prosperity: 49%

Contentment:
38%

Manor...

…Being a country house of middling size in good condition, but of very rustic appearance. encompassed by a low stone fence in a state of much disrepair. Outbuildings include stables, coach house, and guard house, all in exceptionally poor condition.

Interior consists of eighteen rooms, including six bedrooms, a kitchen, a library, a small ballroom, a dovecote and a gun room.

Estate and Grounds...

…Being a barony of middling size, composed of a manor house, market village, and surrounding fields and hinterlands. It is located a week's ride west from the city of Fernandescourt, a journey rendered easier by the fine state of local roads.

The village of Ezinbrooke is a small hamlet, possessed of a traveller's inn, a publick house, a somewhat worn shrine to the major Saints, and an open market square. The surrounding cottages are few in number but of excellent condition, having recently been repaired and refurbished. Fields bound the village on all sides, and all available land is under cultivation.

Bi-Annual Estate Revenues
Rents:
264 Crown

Bi-Annual Expenditures
Estate Wages:
150 Crown
Food and Necessities: 75 Crown
Luxuries and Allowances: 75 Crown
Groundskeeping and Maintenance: 50 Crown
Other Expenses: 0 Crown

Total Balance: -86 Crown

Yeah, I did not check ahead as I usually do - now I see that there is a fuckton of nested choices. Let's just proceed with the vote as-is, with the understanding that you are just prioritizing the matter you want to attend to first as Kipeci is saying, and when we return to this branch I will figure out a more optimal way of presenting these choices.

Endemic

Arcane
4) I shall spend an extra 50 Crown for preparations to illuminate the house.

I shall spend an extra 50 Crown for preparations to illuminate the house.

The fundamentals behind the process of illumination are easy enough to grasp. Through the use of a multitude of paper lanterns, you could endeavour to light up the whole of the outside of your house. In daytime, such a scheme would have little effect, but once the sun sets, the intensity of the lanterns' glow against the darkness of night would be so spectacular that the reflected light from them would make your house seem like an edifice chiseled from a single piece of luminous white marble. Thus you'd be able to display your manor to the most extraordinary effect, based solely upon the simple principle of reflected light.

Unfortunately, as you've learned many times before, simple does not mean easy.

The construction of the lanterns themselves are the most vexatious obstacle, for you quickly learn that the sort of lights which are commonly used for village festivals and the like burn far too red and too dull to be used for the desired effect. Thus you must order cleaner, brighter-burning lights from the city, along with a special translucent paper which is evidently only made in Kian.

The materials take weeks to arrive, and when they do, you find much of it spoiled by the long voyage through the cold and the wet. Even once you finally determine that you have enough remaining to complete your scheme, there's still the task of actually assembling the lanterns, a tedious and lengthy task which your servants bear little love for, especially as you are to need well over two hundred of them.

When the last lantern is finally finished, you cannot even bring yourself to feel relief. As fragile as they are, the lanterns will only be able to be hung out on the day of the ball, and if the day in question proves rainy or too windy, then all your efforts will be for naught.

In the meantime, all you can do is pray for good weather and hope the effect will be worth the time and effort so many have spent working on it.

---

1. ~Music?~
a) I will budget 75 Crown for the hiring of musicians.
b) ~Most certainly not - whimsical tunes and meandering medlies are best reserved for the likes of Wulframites, degenerates, and dandy-men.~

---

It's time I made arrangements for food and drink.

Though you understand things to be quite different in Aetoria and the other great cities, a country ball is as much banquet as dance. The finest tailoring and the loveliest ornaments in creation will do you little good if you can offer only the relatively meagre table of a country baron's everyday fare. For this occasion, you shall have to make especial effort regarding the food and drink on offer. It will be no small expenditure-you expect to spend at least 35 Crown in ingredients-but it may well be necessary.

Briefly, you consider the possibility of crowning your entertainment with some spectacular piece of cookery, of the sort now popular in Aetoria and the other great cities of the realm—but alas, the antiquated and cramped facilities of your own kitchens can allow for no such extravagance, and there's no time to order the rebuilding of the kitchens now.

In that regard, you shall have to do the best with what you have.

2. ~Food?~
a) The food may have a rustic air, but it will have only the finest ingredients.
b) We must make do with what we've got.

---

I must see to new outfits.

It isn't merely enough to host a ball; one must be seen to do so. As the host, you shall necessarily be a centre of attention, and if the attention that you attract reveals you to be a shabby dresser, then whatever lustre the hosting of a successful ball might add to your reputation would almost certainly be cancelled out by the stigma you'd gain as an unattractive and tasteless drab.

Thus, if you wish to promote yourself to your guests as fashionable and astute—as a man well abreast of the times and well capable of reading the prevailing winds of favour—you shall have to devote some attention to your own presentation and the presentation of your household.

Unfortunately, it would necessarily mean ordering new suits of clothes from Fernandescourt. While your present wardrobe is certainly more than sufficient for your current everyday needs, almost all of it—save your dress uniform—dates from either before your departure for the army, or is entirely unsuitable for any formal occasion. While you suppose you could order your servants to simply attempt to modify your existing formal outfits, you have no doubt that without the tools or the patterns needed to copy current fashions exactly, the result would be far from perfect.

If you are to make a good impression, you will likely be obliged to commission a tailor from Fernandescourt for entirely new suits of clothes, something which might easy cost you fifty Crown.

3. ~Threads?~
a) I must send to Fernandescourt to have appropriate suits of clothes made.
b) I can afford only to make do with what we have.

Since you have opted for illumination, you should choose to bum-out on clothes - that would be a cool reference to the lyrics of Blue Oyster Cult's Astronomy.

"Call me Desdinova,
'Eternal light'
These gravely digs of mine
Will surely prove a sight..."

I mean that's not actually a good reason to do anything but, you know, yeah.

FYI guys: I'm locking in 1a2a3a, however an update won't be coming for several days. I am in the middle of wrapping up a few different things, and would like to get them out of the way so that I can do the LP justice - I've barely been reading the last chapter or so beyond a light skim, and I'd like to be in the headspace to catch up on the story, and get back into a more lively/involved headspace that allows me to structure choices in the most convenient way, forget less stuff, create more contextualizing write-ups, and so on. Not that I am suddenly beset by work or calamity or addiction or something. It's just a focus/motivation thing. Once I get some stuff out of the way, we should be back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Now this too can be a perfectionism trap that leads to infinite procastination - "I gotta x justice" often has the hidden component of "and if I can't do it justice, I am not doing x ever again." Since I'm aware of that, if the hiatus takes much longer than a week from now, I will just proceed as-is and return to pushing out ~daily updates as normal.

Sorry guys, thought about checking in earlier but it felt kind of gratuitous sending off a ping just to say "yep, I did fall into the infinite procrastination trap." Giving an estimated time of update is equally preposterous considering it has been a little more than "couple of days" since my last post. I'll try to get my head on the right track as soon as possible, though - the LP is definitely in the "oh fuck, gotta get around to it, shit's cool" part of my mind and not the "lol, fuck doing that ever again" corner, as similiar as they may seem sometimes.

Lucumo

Educated
1.) a
2.) a
3.) a

Considering the character is a retard and will fail at addressing the guests, it's better to use coin to impress them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom