Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP] Lord Captain, you've served your time in Hell! Codex plays Lords of Infinity, a text RPG of Politics and Warfare

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ok, fair - flipping my vote to III-3e, although reducing outflux of tenants (which is what shrine renovation is likely to do) will help us as well. Plus we do need to get married somewhere.

Let's see to refurbishing the village shrine.

You make a note to set aside the appropriate funds, then draft a call for workmen to be posted in the village square.

Until then, all you can do is wait.

---

The regular management of the estate doesn't take long to address, but it very soon becomes clear that Saundersley's most recent effusion of anxieties spring from a considerably deeper source.

"My lord, now that we seem to be well clear of any immediate crisis, I believe it may be time to see to an issue which has been a matter worthy of concern for some time now," he confides.

"Oh, and what would that be?"

Your solicitor hesitates for a moment, his face settling into the expression of a beleaguered underling about to deliver some difficult truth to his master. "It is merely that you have established yourself here at Ezinbrooke for three years now, and yet the barony's standing among both your peers and the local commons have not improved significantly," he explains. "The increased influx of new tenants and new business which many of us hoped would come in the wake of such improvements have not materialised."

"It has been rather difficult, hasn't it," you muse. "Though it isn't as if the late and seemingly constant parade of crises and other distractions have really helped us there."

Suandersley nods. "That is true enough, my lord. However, that does not mean we ought not to commit to some measure to improve the reputation of your lands, and your own."

"I suppose my reputation could use a bit of polishing," you muse. "What do you suggest?"

"I would suggest inviting your neighbours to some sort of social event, one which might be used to show your fief to best advantage to your peers. We could use the winter to prepare, then be ready right at the onset of spring, when such entertainments are most welcome."

"What do you mean by that?" you ask. "What sort of social event?"

"A ball, my lord."

"I don't see how this will better our reputation. It all seems rather frivolous to me."

"It is more than that, my lord, I assure you," Saundersley explains. "An entertainment of this scale will serve to prove to your peers that you are not only possessed of sufficient means to host such an endeavour, but that you possess the taste and discrimination necessary to spend those resources wisely."

"And this will attract more new tenants?" you ask, in a tone that is half hopeful and half dubious.

"It would not be by a direct means, of course," your solicitor replies. "Yet the common folk rarely receive their information without some convolution. Impress the great lords and ladies, and their servants will catch wind of it soon enough. What the servants overhear as gossip will soon be common knowledge in the villages, by which point the superfluous details would have likely been stripped away. All the village folk are likely to learn is that you are wealthy, generous, and know how to throw a good party—all traits which are likely to recommend themselves well to a discontent tenant looking for a new master."

You suppose that makes a lot of sense, but you have long since learned that the outcome of such schemes are as much reliant upon fortune and circumstance as they are on reason.

And perhaps in this case, fortune and circumstance shall prove against you.

"What would such an entertainment actually require?"

"A great deal of preparation," Saundersley replies. "That is why I chose to raise the subject now, when we might still have the whole of winter to make arrangements."

"What kind of preparations are we talking about, exactly?" you ask.

Your solicitor pauses for a moment to gather his thoughts. "The guest list will be the most important thing, of course. We shall have to send out invitations as early as possible, so that we do not find half our invitees already committed to some other matter by the time they are informed. Beyond that, there shall have to be a great deal of consideration for food and drink. Musicians must generally be hired as well—it is, I am told, quite difficult to have a dance without music."

"I suppose the house shall have to be cleaned from top to bottom, as well," you muse. "We'd probably need to take on extra servants for the evening."

Saundersley nods. "Quite likely, if such a thing is practicable. The point of the whole affair is to show off your estate to its best advantage. To do that, I fear that no measure may be entirely a step too far."

"I don't know about that," you reply, tallying up your estate's revenues and liabilities in your mind. "It is all well and good to say that no expense may be spared, but let us be frank; you're not the one sparing the expense."

"That may be true, my lord," Saundersley admits, "but this is not the sort of enterprise which may succeed on half-measures. If one does not impress, one necessarily disappoints. If we do our utmost, then our efforts will be richly rewarded. Cut corners, and we shall find ourselves far worse for it."

In short, it is a gamble. The more you wager, the more you might win.

That does sound rather exciting, doesn't it?

1) "Very well. A country ball, then."

2) "No, I suspect that the whole affair will cost too much and gain too little."

As of the Winter of the 615 of the Old Imperial Era:

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga, Baron Ezinbrooke
Captain, Royal Dragoons (half-pay)

Current Funds: 1743 Crown
Debts: 10660 Crown

Bi-Annual Income (Personal): 135 Crown
Bi-Annual Estate Revenues: 264 Crown

Bi-Annual Estate Expenses: 350 Crown
Bi-Annual Interest Payments: 107 Crown

Total Net Income (Next Six Months): -58 Crown

Soldiering: 70%

Charisma: 41%

Intellect: 9%

Health: 62%

Idealism: 54% ; Cynicism: 46%

Ruthlessness: 38% ; Mercy: 62%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear Bane-hardened armour and wield a Bane-runed sword.

Friends and Associates

Javier Campos: Colour Sergeant, the Royal Dragoons.
(Born 583 OIE)

Victor d'al Reyes: Eldest son of Baron Reyes. Major, the 8th Regiment of Foot. Formerly Commander, the Experimental Corps of Riflemen. ~Lost arm at Blogia~
(Born: 583 OIE)

James d'al Sandoral: Captain (half-pay), the Royal Dragoons.
(Born 592 OIE)

Efraim Saundersley: Solicitor-on-Retainer to the House of Ortiga.
(Born 570 OIE)

Octave d'al Touravon: Baron Touravon, Father of Alisanne d'al Touravon.
(Born 556 OIE)

Enemies

Hiir Cassius vam Holt: Takaran Ambassador to Tierra. Eldest son to Richsgraav vam Holt.
(Born 527 OIE)

Eleanora d'al Welles: Countess Welles. Proponent of Military Reform. Friend to Isobel, the Princess-Royal. ~Died at Blogia~
(Born 587 OIE)

Ezinbrooke, a barony within the Duchy of Cunaris, possessed of 132 rent-paying households.

Respectability: 48%

Prosperity: 49%

Contentment:
38%

Manor...

…Being a country house of middling size in good condition, but of very rustic appearance. encompassed by a low stone fence in a state of much disrepair. Outbuildings include stables, coach house, and guard house, all in exceptionally poor condition.

Interior consists of eighteen rooms, including six bedrooms, a kitchen, a library, a small ballroom, a dovecote and a gun room.

Estate and Grounds...

…Being a barony of middling size, composed of a manor house, market village, and surrounding fields and hinterlands. It is located a week's ride west from the city of Fernandescourt, a journey rendered easier by the fine state of local roads.

The village of Ezinbrooke is a small hamlet, possessed of a traveller's inn, a publick house, a somewhat worn shrine to the major Saints, and an open market square. The surrounding cottages are few in number but of excellent condition, having recently been repaired and refurbished. Fields bound the village on all sides, and all available land is under cultivation.

Bi-Annual Estate Revenues
Rents:
264 Crown

Bi-Annual Expenditures
Estate Wages:
150 Crown
Food and Necessities: 75 Crown
Luxuries and Allowances: 75 Crown
Groundskeeping and Maintenance: 50 Crown
Other Expenses: 0 Crown

Total Balance: -86 Crown

I gotta say, I have a high general opinion of the author's writing, but this whole bit seems very sloppy and poorly researched.

Ball, ball, ball, the characters say.

Even surface-level research into the history of European group activities is enough to understand that ball is an extremely general term and that people seriously considering that activity would very seldom (if every) refer to it as simply a ball.

Because by itself, the term could refer to an extremely wide variety of events, many of which varied significantly depending on region and time period (some have even survived into modernity.)

Like, seriously, what do they mean, ball?

Do they mean football? Basketball? Or maybe even dodgeball?

I sure hope its the former because the latter two seem extremely anachronistic for the time and region that Tierra seems inspired by! But I wouldn't know, because it's all just ball to the author I guess.

Frankly - I am very disappointed. Do better. And, like, how about expanding your knowledge, man? Not every story should have these types of storylines, there is more to life than sports.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I gotta say, I have a high general opinion of the author's writing, but this whole bit seems very sloppy and poorly researched.

Ball, ball, ball, the characters say.

Even surface-level research into the history of European group activities is enough to understand that ball is an extremely general term and that people seriously considering that activity would very seldom (if every) refer to it as simply a ball.

Because by itself, the term could refer to an extremely wide variety of events, many of which varied significantly depending on region and time period (some have even survived into modernity.)

Like, seriously, what do they mean, ball?

Do they mean football? Basketball? Or maybe even dodgeball?

I sure hope its the former because the latter two seem extremely anachronistic for the time and region that Tierra seems inspired by! But I wouldn't know, because it's all just ball to the author I guess.

Frankly - I am very disappointed. Do better. And, like, how about expanding your knowledge, man? Not everything in life is about sports.
It's obviously cricketball.

Endemic

Arcane
1. Though I have a feeling the shoddy exterior of the manor will raise some eyebrows.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Have you goys seen how many shekels are needed for a proper ballroom? WHERE do you propose to host the ball otherwise? A hunt would have been a much better choice given our means. Alas, it is not an option.

2!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have you goys seen how many shekels are needed for a proper ballroom? WHERE do you propose to host the ball otherwise? A hunt would have been a much better choice given our means. Alas, it is not an option.

2!
I'm guessing a grand minimum

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
2) "No, I suspect that the whole affair will cost too much and gain too little."

Not now. A ball to give our new wife (when that time comes) a proper welcome would be wonderful. For now, other issues demand our attention and our borrowed money.

Kipeci

Arcane

Not now. A ball to give our new wife (when that time comes) a proper welcome would be wonderful. For now, other issues demand our attention and our borrowed money.
The Royal Dragoons must first scout the field before engaging, no?

"Very well. A country ball, then."
The news of your decision throws the entire household into the beginnings of a frenzy. It is no small thing to put on a ball, and even now, months before the auspicious event, there are preparations to be made.

Starting with the guest list.

For days, you and Saundersley pore over the lists of those local figures of sufficient condition and reputation to warrant an invitation. The Touravons must obviously be invited, especially seeing as how you've been engaged to Lady Alisanne for more than long enough to be expected to set a date for a wedding. There are another two or three dozen Baneblooded families worth considering as well, but you're warned that not all of them are necessarily suitable for the occasion. There are those in your locality whom—though seemingly quite well-founded by wealth or birth—have accrued to their names such scandal as to make their appearance at any entertainment you might host more likely to give offense than add lustre.

So, the task already before you is compounded by the additional burden of weeding out these hidden dangers from the guest list. It proves a most onerous imposition, and you suspect you've done a rather imprecise job of it. These personages are none of them particularly well-known to you, and you wouldn't be surprised if you've condemned more than one otherwise faultless lady or gentleman to the pile of those not to be invited through your own sense of caution.

Still, you and Saundersley both agree, for an undertaking like this, it is far better to be safe than sorry.

Yet even with such efforts, the list of those invited still seems far shorter than you might have hoped. Had you, perhaps, the ability to invite some of your close acquaintances from your time in the King's service, you might have filled out the event nicely. Alas, you suppose any who might be willing to look upon such an invitation kindly are too distant to be worth inviting, not for a single evening's ball.

---

With the formal guest list drawn up, you move on to the matter of your tenants.

While it's true that the ball is first and foremost for the entertainment of your Baneblooded peers and neighbours, it has been the practice for some time in your part of the country to invite certain more distinguished tenants from the village to events such as these, as an example of the host's largesse, a token of especial favour for services rendered, or simply to fill out dance cards and banquet table seats.

It is a firmly rustic tradition, to be sure. No baneless tenant-farmer, no matter how respectable, possesses the polish necessary to mix easily with people of condition, and there are stories aplenty of drover's sons and shop clerk's daughters making themselves obnoxious to the embarrassment of all present. Yet the practise has persisted, mostly because it's an exceptionally popular one amongst the common folk, who glory in the prospect of eating and drinking and dancing like lords—or at least, how they expect lords to eat and dance and drink.

So popular is the practise that you've heard stories of some particularly miserly hosts who went so far as to raffle invitations off to their tenants, defraying some of the costs of holding such an entertainment in the first place by allowing the most humble of its attendants to be chosen by lot, rather than discretion. It is an utterly vulgar thing to do, of course, but even you must admit to its practical advantages.

1) I shall invite a few tenants, but only the most suitable.

2) Offering invitations to my tenants by lottery will help keep my expenses down.

3) My tenants make for unsuitable guests, but I might hire them on as extra staff…

4) No, best not to involve my tenants at all.

As of the Winter of the 615 of the Old Imperial Era:

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga, Baron Ezinbrooke
Captain, Royal Dragoons (half-pay)

Current Funds: 1743 Crown
Debts: 10660 Crown

Bi-Annual Income (Personal): 135 Crown
Bi-Annual Estate Revenues: 264 Crown

Bi-Annual Estate Expenses: 350 Crown
Bi-Annual Interest Payments: 107 Crown

Total Net Income (Next Six Months): -58 Crown

Soldiering: 70%

Charisma: 41%

Intellect: 9%

Health: 62%

Idealism: 54% ; Cynicism: 46%

Ruthlessness: 38% ; Mercy: 62%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear Bane-hardened armour and wield a Bane-runed sword.

Friends and Associates

Javier Campos: Colour Sergeant, the Royal Dragoons.
(Born 583 OIE)

Victor d'al Reyes: Eldest son of Baron Reyes. Major, the 8th Regiment of Foot. Formerly Commander, the Experimental Corps of Riflemen. ~Lost arm at Blogia~
(Born: 583 OIE)

James d'al Sandoral: Captain (half-pay), the Royal Dragoons.
(Born 592 OIE)

Efraim Saundersley: Solicitor-on-Retainer to the House of Ortiga.
(Born 570 OIE)

Octave d'al Touravon: Baron Touravon, Father of Alisanne d'al Touravon.
(Born 556 OIE)

Enemies

Hiir Cassius vam Holt: Takaran Ambassador to Tierra. Eldest son to Richsgraav vam Holt.
(Born 527 OIE)

Eleanora d'al Welles: Countess Welles. Proponent of Military Reform. Friend to Isobel, the Princess-Royal. ~Died at Blogia~
(Born 587 OIE)

Ezinbrooke, a barony within the Duchy of Cunaris, possessed of 132 rent-paying households.

Respectability: 48%

Prosperity: 49%

Contentment:
38%

Manor...

…Being a country house of middling size in good condition, but of very rustic appearance. encompassed by a low stone fence in a state of much disrepair. Outbuildings include stables, coach house, and guard house, all in exceptionally poor condition.

Interior consists of eighteen rooms, including six bedrooms, a kitchen, a library, a small ballroom, a dovecote and a gun room.

Estate and Grounds...

…Being a barony of middling size, composed of a manor house, market village, and surrounding fields and hinterlands. It is located a week's ride west from the city of Fernandescourt, a journey rendered easier by the fine state of local roads.

The village of Ezinbrooke is a small hamlet, possessed of a traveller's inn, a publick house, a somewhat worn shrine to the major Saints, and an open market square. The surrounding cottages are few in number but of excellent condition, having recently been repaired and refurbished. Fields bound the village on all sides, and all available land is under cultivation.

Bi-Annual Estate Revenues
Rents:
264 Crown

Bi-Annual Expenditures
Estate Wages:
150 Crown
Food and Necessities: 75 Crown
Luxuries and Allowances: 75 Crown
Groundskeeping and Maintenance: 50 Crown
Other Expenses: 0 Crown

Total Balance: -86 Crown

Given a frankly shocking lack of raucous applause and adoring message flooding my inbox, I should note that my previous quip re: balls was a not meant in earnest but rather as a sophisticated and nuanced joke. I was exercising irony, you see, by characterizing the passage as featuring a supposedly anachronistic, ignorant, and gratuitous reference to sports - when in reality any and all sports references were conjured out of thin air by a deliberate misinterpretation on my part. I committed, one might say, an intentional fox pass (though you probably lack the intelligentsia to know what that means, mon amiss.) And with that elegant instance of textual misdirection, with that perfectly executed feint, I - a bonafide paragon of humility and self-awareness - graced you, the unwashed and smegma-smeared masses, with the sort of satire that may be known to your vulgar minds as the "pot calling the kettle black."

Perhaps in the future my intent can be appropriate acknowledged by, I don't know, several dozen messages complimenting my wit. Or with a couple of dead animals in my mailbox.

Its the least you could fucking do.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Perhaps in the future my intent can be appropriate acknowledged by, I don't know, several dozen messages complimenting my wit. Or with a couple of dead animals in my mailbox.
The grace with which you humbly admit your virtues is surpassed only by the wit you display.

Endemic

Arcane
3) My tenants make for unsuitable guests, but I might hire them on as extra staff…

Orbit

Scholar
1) I shall invite a few tenants, but only the most suitable.

Do it right or don't do it at all!

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
4, socializing on the battlefield is one thing, but rubbing shoulders in our own ballroom?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom