Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LP: Preview of Co8 5.6 + LP Co8 5.8

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I can confirm that the only thing Co8 changed regarding the reward encounters (Tillahi's elves and Thrommel's knights) is a typo in the knight's dialogue.

Indeed, as was the case in vanilla:

* +2000 plat and a few magic items for all party members (independent of alignment)
* Good-aligned parties are in addition knighted and receive honorary badges (useless)
* If the speaker is good aligned, he is further rewarded with Scather
* Parties who have Thrommel's medallion on them get an extra item of their choosing as well

It kind of sucks in that if your speaker happens to be non-good, you get the shaft. It can be changed of course...

Also, a funny exploit:
Since the distance from random encounter parties is now determined by your survival skill, if your survival is high enough that you spawn far away enough from the knights, their 'initiate dialogue' script won't fire right at the beginning of the encounter, thus allowing you to attack and kill them. You can then loot Scather manually :) And after that, apparently looting the guy's things causes him to trigger his 'initiate dialogue' script, and you receive the rest of the rewards normally (you can't get a second Scather, though). And to top it all off, you get the extra XP from killing them all.

BTW, the Water Node doesn't appear to suffer from lockups/slowdowns - probably because it's an open expanse.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
OMG that's what you get for playing LN, no holy weapons and mediocre rewards.

The Balor fight was awesome btw, Hezrous couldn't be damaged (no Holy weapons) and I had to put up a decent effort to prevail. You really see that ToEE had awesome gfx and spell effects, the Righteous Mighted cleric with Frostbrand really looked badass.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Hmm, there are at least two holy weapons to be found in the Temple (ranseur and spiked chain), and you can buy a holy mace from Calmert. If you have 16 CHA you can get a holy sword from marrying Meleny, and the Earth node has a Holy Axiomatic warhammer.

BTW, Axiomatic weapons are almost as good as Holy weapons, since many of the Temple critters are Chaotic Evil.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
of course, I have 1 sorc and 1 wizard both with a missile wand, takes a while and the hezrou stench is annoying but that is what a druid is for: to provide a steady supply of summons

Melcar

Arcane
Barbarian, cleric, sorcerer, druid, wizard. That's probably the best "all a round" party that would let you do nearly everything in terms of combat. The cleric can be your second tank (1-2 lvls as a fighter), the wizard your rogue (2-3 lvls as a rogue), and the sorcerer and druid your main spell slingers.

Melcar

Arcane
Or start as a cleric (war domain gives you weapon focus with your deity's favored weapon if I'm not mistaken) and wizard and just give them the extra levels as you go along.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Melcar said:
Barbarian, cleric, sorcerer, druid, wizard. That's probably the best "all a round" party that would let you do nearly everything in terms of combat. The cleric can be your second tank (1-2 lvls as a fighter), the wizard your rogue (2-3 lvls as a rogue), and the sorcerer and druid your main spell slingers.

True.
I had fighter 4/cleric x, fighter 1/cleric x, druid, sorc, rogue 2/wizard x.
Why? Pwnage.
Augment summoning with druid leads to awesome results btw.

Although thinking about it, making the fighter 4/cleric x into a fighter 4/barb x might be even more pwnage.

marlboroo

Novice
the newest Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.0 NC BETA is out (april 24)

any tought/review/etc ?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Why not.

For the Co8 5.8 NC ride, a vanilla CG party is assembled:

John - the Fighter.
Ariel - the Rogue.
Samantha -the Wizard.
Eric - the Cleric.
and lastly:
Tulip - the Barbarian.

001.jpg

We start off at the Co8 shopmap, posing for the camera.

002.jpg

Playing dress up is always fun. The modpack adds many new articles of clothing for that end.

003.jpg

Let's go!

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

The usual CG vignette. Yadda yadda missing elf yadda yadda.

007.jpg

Kent, the Co8 greeter, err, greets us.

008.jpg

Hi miss, want me to do your fed-exing for you?

On second thought, fuck off. I'm not doing this shit again for the umpteenth time.

009.jpg

You too, buddy.

010.jpg

Well, I'm not gonna skip that one.

011.jpg

Furnok now does his hustling outside.

012.jpg

ariel.jpg
I'm looking for something different.

smyth.jpg
What might that be?

ariel.jpg
No offense, but this seems like a boring town. Would you know of anywhere else I can find some real action?

smyth.jpg
[Brother Smyth sizes you up critically.] Action? What do you mean by that?

ariel.jpg
I mean something more exciting than simply meddling in everyone's personal affairs here.

smyth.jpg
I see. And what do you mean by exciting? Are you looking for whores or something like that? If so, you'll have to look elsewhere. I don't arrange that kind of thing.

ariel.jpg
No, no whores. I'd like to help this area in a more meaningful way than just dealing with the minor personal crises of its citizens. Isn't there anything going on around here that's more of a threat than the typical day-to-day trivialities of a small village?

smyth.jpg
[Brother Smyth laughs.] So...the restless adventurer wants to sally forth into something perhaps beyond his understanding. What makes you think you can handle anything more serious than running local errands?

ariel.jpg
The high elf nobles of Celene apparently do not find me wanting. I wouldn't be here if I were no more capable than what you suggest.

smyth.jpg
Perhaps. [Brother Smyth considers.] Do you think you really understand death, daughter?

ariel.jpg
What's that supposed to mean?

smyth.jpg
Death. Surely you've heard of it. Among other things, it's what happens after some creature tears your entrails out and feasts on them while you're still breathing. Do you think you understand that?

ariel.jpg
I don't know. But I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later.

smyth.jpg
[Brother Smyth waves a hand dismissively] I don't think you're serious. The death you should seek is that of old age.

ariel.jpg
Listen, Brother. If you know something, tell me. The actions I seek to take are my own affair, as are my motivations and my ability to carry them out. If I should perish, what is it to you in the end?

smyth.jpg
Ha! Bold to the end. Very well. But I wonder...would you change your mind if you were forced to consider UN-death? [He pauses and shakes his head.] No matter. Perhaps Captain Renton can explain that concept to you in greater detail. I'll leave it to him, though I make no guarantees that he'll be any more impressed with you than I am. He lives on the southwest edge of town.

ariel.jpg
That's a fairly cryptic message, Brother.

smyth.jpg
Cryptic? And you the 'worldly' adventurer. Go see the Captain. He just may provide you with what it is you think you're looking for.

ariel.jpg
Many thanks.

So, where was that captain again?

013.jpg

014.jpg

The village Scotty beams you up and saves you some walking.

015.jpg

Renton reveals the tragic tale of Mathel, some asshole who dabbled in Necromancy and became undead. Or something like that. He now haunts Welkwood Bog.

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

There we are.

019.jpg

The Verbobonc Patrol? What are they doing here?

To be continued...

Melcar

Arcane
Unless they changed it, getting the quest in Hommlet puts it in your map. Talk to the smith guy about a quest, and he then directs you to some other fool in Hommlet (the captain of the guard I think it was).

Black

Arcane
I did that. He tells me I can't go to Verbobonc YET. I wonder when will be the right moment, because right now I've cleared almost the entire temple.

Melcar

Arcane
Did you do the smith's quest yet (kill the giant)? I have yet to try the new Co8, but I seem to remember you need to complete that quest before.

overtenemy

Augur
Believe Verbobonc and some other shit and removed in one of the newer versions because it's going to be part of the level 10-20 expansion pack content they're planning on releasing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
See here

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7743

------------------------------------------------------------------------
cont'd

Captain Asaph has been... dealt with. I'll leave what happened to him a MYSTARY.

023.jpg

Pressing on, we encounter a band of kobolds.

024.jpg

...that, and an amusing bug that allows you to attack the otherwise invisible objects that generate ripple effects in the water.

025.jpg

Let the ripple dummy holocaust commence.

026.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

Taking a break, our einsatzgruppen heads back to the village.

031.jpg

Some answers from the militia Captain would be welcome. (I'll leave those a mystary too)

033.jpg

Back in the Bog, we descend into a cavern.

034.jpg

Uh oh.

------------------

Post some crap so we can go on to the next page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom