Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lucasarts and similar games

Zhuangzi

Scholar
I've recently been playing Monkey Island 1 + 2 again, and now I'm hungry for more. I've got Monkey 3 and 4 too, but they pale in comparison. I've also played Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion Deluxe (newish remake), Sam and Max Hit the Road (also the free episode of the new Sam and Max game), as well as stuff like Beneath a Steel Sky (not Lucasarts, I know).

So, what else is there in this genre that's worth playing? I am a bit of a graphix whore in that I require graphics to be at least on a par with the first Monkey Island game. So I'm a bit hesitant to try Loom or Lure of the Temptress.

The obvious thing is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, which I've just got. There's also a demo of another freeware Indy game that was mentioned in another thread hereabouts. Has anyone played Fate of Atlantis? Worth playing? For some reason I never played this properly back in the day.

Any other suggestions of similar vintage adventure games? :?:

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Never played The Dig, but I did play Full Throttle only 1-2 years ago (I got a CD version in the post office, would you believe?) Anyway I found Full Throttle to be fun but WAY too short. I could believe it was over. :cry:

The Dig seems not to be fully abandoned, I think? Anywhere to get it? :roll:

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Yup, go with The Dig, can be had unusually cheaply on eBay for a LucasArts game (In US anyway.)

Also, the Simon the Sorcerer series, Kyrandia, etc... I'd recommend going to the ScummVM website and just trying every game that it supports.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Try out Loom as well. It's designed a bit differently from most adventure games, foregoing the traditional inventory in favour of some sort of musical stick that casts spells. The story wasn't half bad either as far as I recall, and I'm almost certain that the graphics were better than MI1+2 and Maniac Mansion.

Also, Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis is a particular favourite of mine, since it actually has a certain degree of C&C. Well, only once in the game, but still.

Longshanks

Augur
Grim Fandango (best of the LA games for mine)
Discword Noir (great fun; even has a branching story. The other Discworld games are pretty good too, but this one is clearly the best)
Sanitarium (more serious than the LA games; very good story and atmosphere)
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (interesting premise; very dark tone; good writing)
Gabriel Knight games (not all classic point and click, but mostly have good puzzles and engaging plots)
Blade Runner (great atmosphere, good story, even decent C&C)
Broken Sword games (not a big fan myself, but they're quite good and follow a similar formula to the LA games)

Not point and click, and quite different to the LA games - but, if you're looking for a great Adeventure game, The Last Express is one of the best.

Two new games you might want to take a look at:
A Vampyre Story (made by some former LA guys)
So Blonde (made by Steve Ince who worked on the Broken Sword games and Beneath a Steel Sky)

Radech

Augur
just because noone mentioned it: you should definatly give indiana jones and the fate of atlantis a go, it's the first lucas arts adventure i ever played, and even though i understood about a third of the words back then i thoroughly enjoyed it. Still annoys me that they didn't use it as a premise for the new indy flick instead of that wierd alien skull thingie :P

some newer games that might be good(haven't gotten very far yet, because the main characters have very very very very very very very very! annoying voices) are So Blonde and a Vampyre tale, they might be decent if you play without sound :P runaway also has it's charms, but nothing new gets even remotely close to the classics as we all know here on the codex :P

ps. Monkey Island 3 doesn't exactly pale in comparison with 1 and 2, and 4, just like HoMM, never happened :P

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
phanboy_iv said:
Yup, go with The Dig, can be had unusually cheaply on eBay for a LucasArts game (In US anyway.)

Any way to remove it from an inventory?

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Radech said:
just because noone mentioned it: you should definatly give indiana jones and the fate of atlantis a go, it's the first lucas arts adventure i ever played, and even though i understood about a third of the words back then i thoroughly enjoyed it. Still annoys me that they didn't use it as a premise for the new indy flick instead of that wierd alien skull thingie :P

some newer games that might be good(haven't gotten very far yet, because the main characters have very very very very very very very very! annoying voices) are So Blonde and a Vampyre tale, they might be decent if you play without sound :P runaway also has it's charms, but nothing new gets even remotely close to the classics as we all know here on the codex :P

ps. Monkey Island 3 doesn't exactly pale in comparison with 1 and 2, and 4, just like HoMM, never happened :P

I have just started playing Fate of Atlantis now. Looks good so far. Monkey 3 is reasonably good, just not up to the standard of 1 and 2. I've played it at least 4-5 times over the years, which I can't say for Monkey 4. I never finished that pile of dreck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:50 am Post subject:
Grim Fandango (best of the LA games for mine)
Discword Noir (great fun; even has a branching story. The other Discworld games are pretty good too, but this one is clearly the best)
Sanitarium (more serious than the LA games; very good story and atmosphere)
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (interesting premise; very dark tone; good writing)
Gabriel Knight games (not all classic point and click, but mostly have good puzzles and engaging plots)
Blade Runner (great atmosphere, good story, even decent C&C)
Broken Sword games (not a big fan myself, but they're quite good and follow a similar formula to the LA games)

Not point and click, and quite different to the LA games - but, if you're looking for a great Adeventure game, The Last Express is one of the best.

Two new games you might want to take a look at:
A Vampyre Story (made by some former LA guys)
So Blonde (made by Steve Ince who worked on the Broken Sword games and Beneath a Steel Sky)

Grim Fandago and Sanitarium are great - played both. Sanitarium is a little uneven and annoying in some ways, but the lost village part was among the best things in an adventure game I've played. :cool:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
there's a cd version of loom with nicer graphics, try that.
then there is rex nebular and the cosmic gender bender, which was pretty nice back in the days, even if it came on a gazillion of floppy disks...
the space quest games are also sorta reminiscent of lucasarts adventures.

Risine

Liturgist
Also some king's quest are interesting ( 5 & 6 ).
And you MUST try some Leisure Suit Larry. (but not the most recent ones).

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Yeah I never really played King's or Space Quest. In fact not many Sierra adventures at all. I remember one called Willy Beamish which was okay. I played Space Quest 4 but got frustrated with how easy it was to die/get stuck. So I always preferred Lucasarts to Sierra.

Leisure Suit Larry is another one that slipped the net. Which one is recommended?

Having fun with Fate of Atlantis right now - graphics are exactly like Monkey 1, which is nostalgic for me. The plot seems a little retarded right now - aliens, Atlantis, some lost book of Plato. :roll:

Loom is fantastic, and is a must-play. There are numerous VGA versions, so don't let the EGA graphics scare you off. There are also, I think, some voiced versions out there.

Grim Fandango is also a must.

Sanitarium is all right, but pretty maudlin and suffers from a character who moves way too slowly, puzzles that are far too easy, and--in an intersection of these two flaws--too many "go from A to B back to A" sequences (i.e., "puzzles" that are obvious on their face but with a solution that is always the farthest possible point from the obstacle). I'm not sure, actually, that I would recommend it. It has some grim/surreal stuff that seemed cool when I was 16 (I think that's when I played it), but I'm not sure how well it would hold up in that regard now.

The Dig is boring and very atypical for a Lucas Arts game. Flat, cliche characters, lifeless environments, heavy-handed and preachy story.

Both of the Indiana Jones games are quite fun.

I enjoyed the first Broken Sword game quite a bit. They got progressively worse, but the visuals of the first are nice and some of the puzzles are clever. Lots of stupid puzzle-solving, though (I believe that Old Man Murray did an article on this, or possible it was Gabriel Knight).

Gabriel Knight 1 is good, although it has lots of Sierra idiocy in it: if you miss an item that's not obvious, you lose the game hours later with no recourse to fix it, and at least one puzzle seemed impossible to solve without refering to a walkthrough (but maybe I missed something -- I'm thinking of the voodoo code / crypt puzzle here). The second one is a godawful interactive movie, and the third is a godawfuller 3D game.

Space Quest has inferior Lucas Arts style humor with all the Sierra flaws. I wouldn't bother with it, unless you're desperate.

Quest for Glory 1, 3, and 4 are fantastic, don't have much Sierra nonsense, are funny and open to replay. I highly recommend them. The second one is unplayable in my opinion. Both the original EGA version and the fan-made VGA remake involve an endless series of twisting passages, all alike, as the VERY FIRST THING the player must confront -- and this maze of alleyways is always in your way for the first few hours of play. The VGA remake is poorly designed in many regards, with wildly fluctuating difficulty and graphics that range from good to lousy. (The walk cycle, in particular, stands out as terrible.)

Full Throttle is a lot of fun, but short.

An old and somewhat obscure one is Dragonsphere. My experience with the game is idiosyncratic: I played a demo of it as a youngish kid (I think it was roughly contemporaneous with KQ5) and thought it looked awesome, then never saw it again till I was maybe 19. It seemed like very few people had heard of it, so I felt a certain proprietary attachment to it, combined with nostalgia. All that said, I think it's pretty cool and has a nice story, though it suffers from some Sierra-style flaws (I think it's a Micropose game, though).

Conquests of the Longbow is a monumental Sierra game. It's not without its flaws, but at the end of the day it's worth playing.

The Longest Journey is okay. Its sequel, Dreamfall, is terrible.

Syberia, another "modern" adventure game, is very pretty and atmospheric, but is crippled by the protagonist's slow walking speed and the number of back-and-forth quests.

Then there are a handful of freeware ones, but I think those are discussed in another thread.

Y'know, in QFG2, you could just walk out in the desert and kill a brigand, thus giving you the money needed for the map. The only hard part about the city was finding the moneychanger in the beginning.

Right, the need to find the moneychanger is explicable only as a fuck you to the players. But even once you've got the map, you still need to navigate the alleys to find all the locales. It's tedious and miserable and probably the most time consuming aspect of the first quarter of the game.

Mareus

Magister
A must play for adventure fan:
Broken Sword 1 (skip others cause they are awful)
Discworld 1 (A lot of good humor, but impossible to play without a walkthrough)
Discworld 2 (A must play)
Discworld Noir (I would skip this one, since all you really do is talk with people and there is very few puzzles, but the story is great and very funny)
Longest Journey (amazing adventure game with great story)
Dreamfall (sucks as adventure game, but the story is great)
All Lucas Arts adventure games (Day of the Tentacle, Inidana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Dig, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 1,2,3 (4 is in 3D and controls are clunky, but it's still fun),...)
Toonstruck (an awesome adventure game similar to Lucas Arts games)
A Vampyre story (new adventure game made by ex ppl from Lucas Arts, so you can't go wrong)
Sanitarium (horror adventure game, but lots of fun)
Flight of the Amazon Queen (little known classic adventure game, similar to Indiana Jones)
Stupid Invaders (a cartoony adventure game)
Phew... the list could go on, but play these first and then come back for more.

Heh, yeah. I didn't pay much attention to it when I played it though. Only Aziza, W.I.T. and the EOF has a location which is annoying to get to.
Personally I think the most annoying aspect of QFG2 was the whole waiting around for the next time-based puzzle to pop up.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Well, I got sick of Fate of Atlantis and gave up. First half of the game was okay, if too easy. I didn't like the fact that there were like 2-3 screens for each country/location. Really prevented any sense of atmosphere building up. But what REALLY annoyed me was the way the game became a series of puzzle tasks around the mid point (i.e. when you get to Crete). I found this frustrating and dull, and finally gave up at the beginning of the Atlantis section.

So Fate of Atlantis looks a bit like The Secret of Monkey Island, but IMO it's much worse. :cry:

Onto Simon the Sorcerer. :cool:

Mareus

Magister
Zhuangzi said:
Well, I got sick of Fate of Atlantis and gave up. First half of the game was okay, if too easy. I didn't like the fact that there were like 2-3 screens for each country/location. Really prevented any sense of atmosphere building up. But what REALLY annoyed me was the way the game became a series of puzzle tasks around the mid point (i.e. when you get to Crete). I found this frustrating and dull, and finally gave up at the beginning of the Atlantis section.

So Fate of Atlantis looks a bit like The Secret of Monkey Island, but IMO it's much worse. :cry:

Onto Simon the Sorcerer. :cool:
Well, what you said about 2-3 screens per location is true, but what makes Fate of Atlantis a great adventure game is many different ways you can solve problems and that will take you on completely different route. Only the Atlantis is always the same. I think you should really give this game another try. I played it 4 times and it was always a different game. You don't see that kind of non linearity in adventure games too often. In fact it is the only non linear adventure game I played. Even more than Blade Runner, which tried something similar.

made

Arcane
Fate of Atlantis was my favorite adventure back in the day, along with Monkey Island 2. The number of screens is limited, yes, but all are unique and offer a lot to do, and there's no empty filler rooms a la Sierra games that only serve to make the areas seem bigger than they really are.

As mentioned above, it's non-linear to a degree, which mostly affects how you can solve the puzzles, ie solo, team up with Sophia, or fight your way through, but the story (except for the ending iirc) always remains the same. The game oozes atmosphere and it's great fun to slowly piece together the history of an ancient civilization, but then I always had a thing for archeology, so Atlantis + Nazis = instawin.

Mad_Dog

Liturgist
Fate of Atlantis took up a year of my life when I was a kid, I had to beat it every way. The only parts I didn't enjoy were the stupud sunstone/moonstone puzzles, because I had to try every combination. On the Mac, the book didn't work for some reason. And the driving was dumb, but other than that, fantastic game. I still have the five floppies. 10 mb took up a large chunk of my IIsi's 80 meg hard drive, but I rarely deleted it.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Yeah I think one of the problems is that I don't have the patience now that I would have done at age 11 when the game was released. At 27, I find the plot fairly ridiculous (ooh, Plato's Lost Dialogue :roll: )

What I love about adventure games most of all is the humour and immersion. Case in point: Day of the Tentacle. Almost the perfect adventure IMO. Fate of Atlantis is a good, maybe even a great game, but some of the puzzles were too difficult for me to figure out in a reasonably short space of time. Had I been younger, I'd have persevered longer.

But I just finished Simon the Sorcerer - that was a fun game. Not five star, but certainly a solid adventure. But when I cranked up Simon 2 I discovered that Chris Barrie of Red Dwarf fame has been replaced by some annoying loser for the voice of Simon. Some of the jokes right at the beginning of Simon 2 are also very off. There's Calypso's busty daughter standing in his shop, and when I talk to her Simon just rattles off a number of insults about her tits. I mean, hello. Buxom wench anyone? :P So I don't know whether I'll bother with Simon 2. Unfortunately I have to go back to work in 2 days, which means my dalliance in adventure gaming history is coming to an end.

Two games I really want to play though (neither Lucasarts) are Blade Runner and Zork: Grand Inquisitor. Both sound great, but I've never been able to find them anywhere. And don't say 'sail the seven seas' - I would prefer a boxed copy. :) Any ideas?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom