Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ludus Mortis - party-based dungeon crawler from The 7th Circle devs set in dark fantasy Roman Empire

68kStudios

68k Studios
Developer
Just a few minor issues:
1) If you get your agility to 21 (and above probably) action points and round order modifier roll back around to the lowest values
2) There may be some issue with chest generation, I found a chest with a lockpick level of 51. I doubt that even maximized lock picking and four thraex could open it but barring that it still probably shouldn't show up in a level 12 dungeon I assume.
tZlmMt5.jpg
1) Yes you are right, I have to fix it
2) Fixed the lock level of that chest, thanks

Modron

Arcane
1) Just making sure you noticed my edit, Perception rolls back over at 21 as well so I assume it's all stats.
2) One other thing I forgot, Divine Potion use doesn't refill to maximum. I start all dungeons with 3/4 uses (after getting the top right potion capacity upgrade if that matters).

68kStudios

68k Studios
Developer
1) Just making sure you noticed my edit, Perception rolls back over at 21 as well so I assume it's all stats.
2) One other thing I forgot, Divine Potion use doesn't refill to maximum. I start all dungeons with 3/4 uses (after getting the top right potion capacity upgrade if that matters).
1 - Yes 20 was supposed to be the limit for every attribute, I have to update the table for every stats
2 - Thank you again, I'll check this issue too

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
so far i've been enjoying the 90 minutes i've put in so far. i'm not a massive fan of being unable to alter the acutal stats in in character creation so that guy with 75+ points is spread weirdly (at least to me) but i see what you're going for and that's your design decision, but i would suggest adding (like knights of the chalice) the option to maybe re-roll ONE stat or maybe swap two stat numbers during creation. i was expecting more of a wizardry delve of having the ability to return to town during exploration of the dungeon, the entire set up of the 'town' had me expecting it, not to be more-or-less stuck on rails until the end of the dungeon. i am ambivalent about this as it makes it tense, but the first dungeon was a slow melee slog with very little needed in the way of tactics. i barely had to use heal in day 1 and i am playing on normal as was intended.

all in all, i am enjoying it, dig the art style, and am a fan of the mess of the late imperial era so, yeah, it's a satisfying blobber that feels like wizardry in ancient rome.

68kStudios

68k Studios
Developer
so far i've been enjoying the 90 minutes i've put in so far. i'm not a massive fan of being unable to alter the acutal stats in in character creation so that guy with 75+ points is spread weirdly (at least to me) but i see what you're going for and that's your design decision, but i would suggest adding (like knights of the chalice) the option to maybe re-roll ONE stat or maybe swap two stat numbers during creation. i was expecting more of a wizardry delve of having the ability to return to town during exploration of the dungeon, the entire set up of the 'town' had me expecting it, not to be more-or-less stuck on rails until the end of the dungeon. i am ambivalent about this as it makes it tense, but the first dungeon was a slow melee slog with very little needed in the way of tactics. i barely had to use heal in day 1 and i am playing on normal as was intended.

all in all, i am enjoying it, dig the art style, and am a fan of the mess of the late imperial era so, yeah, it's a satisfying blobber that feels like wizardry in ancient rome.
Re-roll of one single attribute is an interesting idea that I can consider for a future update.
Thank you for your feedback ;)

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
i am back with some more thoughts.

first, this screen for leveling is wonky, i imagine you would want those lined up?

cGvdmCf.png

while i am enjoying your game, i must admit the combat leaves much to be desired. so far, my gladiators are level 7 and am in the third stage of the main quest (i did the side mission that was one level above mine prior) and i just don't feel at all threatened and a majority of my fights are A->A->Space->A->A->Space->A->A->Space->A->A->Space->A->A->Space which makes me want to just turn off random encounters since it's, well, sorta boring on that aspect. i have attached a short video (2.5 mins) to illustrate the lack of weight in combat.

my computer isn't a too much of a slouch so the stuttering and frame drops are confusing, win10 16gb ram, 8gb gpu, ryzen 5

i also find it easy to leave the ludus without supplies. this is all on me as i haven't taught myself to check before leaving.

68kStudios

68k Studios
Developer
One thing I liked about the demo was how it cost more to create characters with a higher stat total. Now there's nothing to stop the excessive rerolling.
Because I've added the cost of the expedition. In the long run, it makes more sense because you pay an amount of money x Xp level of each character, and you may want to also use low level characters to save money.
In the demo, with just one dungeon, I preferred the cost for hiring.

Last edited:

68kStudios

68k Studios
Developer
i am back with some more thoughts.

first, this screen for leveling is wonky, i imagine you would want those lined up?

cGvdmCf.png

while i am enjoying your game, i must admit the combat leaves much to be desired. so far, my gladiators are level 7 and am in the third stage of the main quest (i did the side mission that was one level above mine prior) and i just don't feel at all threatened and a majority of my fights are A->A->Space->A->A->Space->A->A->Space->A->A->Space->A->A->Space which makes me want to just turn off random encounters since it's, well, sorta boring on that aspect. i have attached a short video (2.5 mins) to illustrate the lack of weight in combat.

my computer isn't a too much of a slouch so the stuttering and frame drops are confusing, win10 16gb ram, 8gb gpu, ryzen 5

i also find it easy to leave the ludus without supplies. this is all on me as i haven't taught myself to check before leaving.

Fixed the weird text, thanks.

About the combat: higher level enemies should give you more trouble and you'll probably want to select the target easier to hit. Or, after you've unlocked and upgraded the Venator, you will see the resistances of enemies, and you will select your target consequentially. But yes, I've opted for the Early Access to help me improve the balance of the combat as well, so let me know in the end what do you think about it and I will eventually change some stuff here and there.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Started playing it and really like it.

Some feedback:
- i am using the pointbuy system, would be cool if i we could reduce the stats we dont need, like str on casters
- music is downright horrible and completely out of place

Will post more as i go on

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, the music has to be one of the biggest turn-offs so far for me. I like metal, but it's completely out of place here, and not particularly good. Just very grating all around.

68kStudios

68k Studios
Developer
I've made the music of the game as well. Let's say that I get bored writing and listening the same "epic" (and mostly anonymous) music for RPGs, so I always try something different. It is undoubtedly a polarizing choice :D

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I've made the music of the game as well. Let's say that I get bored writing and listening the same "epic" (and mostly anonymous) music for RPGs, so I always try something different. It is undoubtedly a polarizing choice :D

IMO you should go with a more ominous musical score that would pair well with the setting, but then, its your game, your choices.

Current music reminds me of that video of scandinavian death metal band being extra cringe in the forest, wading through snow, making inverted crosses with sticks and wagging their tongues, until mum yells that dinner is ready xD

Musical score from Terror from the Deep comes to mind tbh, slow, insidious, unsettling.

68kStudios

68k Studios
Developer
Also i am guessing the reason for large buttons to click in the UI is for mobile port or something else?
Mostly for gamepad/steam deck compatibility: in some screens you can't use the D-pad to select an icon and you have to use the pointer with the analogue stick...it's not precise as a mouse, so icons are a little larger. But I may consider to change them, I'm waiting for more feedback

Modron

Arcane
Just some rare issues:
1) Everyonce in a while a critical killing one enemy with another one still alive seems to end combat early just glossing over that there is still one enemy present. Then when the next combat encounter popsup you can't attack, hitting escape and going back to the main menu and continuing puts you right back in the encounter with no issues though.
2) One time I hit the inventory at the same time a Sentinel spotted me and started combat which locked the game up.

68kStudios

68k Studios
Developer
Just some rare issues:
1) Everyonce in a while a critical killing one enemy with another one still alive seems to end combat early just glossing over that there is still one enemy present. Then when the next combat encounter popsup you can't attack, hitting escape and going back to the main menu and continuing puts you right back in the encounter with no issues though.
2) One time I hit the inventory at the same time a Sentinel spotted me and started combat which locked the game up.
1) This seems to happen when you hit the enemy two times really quick, with the second attack damaging an already dead enemy. I've added a small delay between attacks to avoid this (Also, I've just noticed that you can press the Attack Icon and "A" at the same time to deal 2 strikes...I've fixed this as well)
2) This is rare, but I will try to fix it

thanks

agris

Arcane
Patron
Here is a gameplay video: you can see the character creation phase and the exploration of the first dungeon.
Let me know what you think about it ;)

note: skills are barely sketched, so you will not see many of them in the video and what you see is missing sound effects and animations.

the Xs in unpopulated inventory slots make it appear that the character/class can't equip items there.

The orb under the minimap that lets you toggle encounter rate - is that a development/debug feature or intended to be part of the final game?

Jinn

Arcane
I like the character creation music! I'd consider something more along those lines in general throughout if it's not too late. Either way, major respect for you that you do the music too.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Some more feedback - maybe group skills from same school together, ie all cult of mars skills in one line, then cult of vesta in 2nd row, etc...

68kStudios

68k Studios
Developer
Here is a gameplay video: you can see the character creation phase and the exploration of the first dungeon.
Let me know what you think about it ;)

note: skills are barely sketched, so you will not see many of them in the video and what you see is missing sound effects and animations.

the Xs in unpopulated inventory slots make it appear that the character/class can't equip items there.

The orb under the minimap that lets you toggle encounter rate - is that a development/debug feature or intended to be part of the final game?

That video is pretty old, the interface has changed a lot.
The possibility to change on the fly the encounter rate is intended and is part of the gameplay.
Some more feedback - maybe group skills from same school together, ie all cult of mars skills in one line, then cult of vesta in 2nd row, etc...
Yes I thought about it too, it's on the to-do list

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Class passives from generalist mages (rex sanctorum or whatnot) seem bugged and do not work

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom