Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia 2 Demo Is Out

ChristofferC

Magister
1eyedking said:
MetalCraze said:
I'm willing to give Mafia 2 a chance, seeing how good Mafia 1 was.
:what:

Seriously,
:what: :what: :what: :what: :what: :what: :what:
Yeah, I know! It's only one of the very best games ever made.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Quilty said:
I think I played Chicago, but it felt clunky and as though it was trying too hard to rip off Commandos and wasn't suited for it. It did have a charming art style, but it wasn't very compelling.

Still, a game that was trying to be Commandos, think about that for a second. What I'd give for something like that today, even if it failed...

The Desperados games were good, though it felt like a cheat on the later ones when you could control the characters in third person. Still ,you didn't have to use it. Then there's Robin Hood, also a good Commandos clone.

Quilty said:
The Godfather game supposedly did something like this, but I've never tried it because it didn't really seem well done according to reviews.

The Godfather games get repetitive quickly, but if you measure your play for a couple of hours a day they really are fun. The 'shakedown' of business owners has probably the best mini game I've seen in order to get the guy/gal to comply.
They are more like GTA clones with not that much to do otherwise, but the occasional gang wars with lots of thugs on both sides are strangely satisfying.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
There was a 28 meg update to the demo, physx effects on medium seem alot more playable, and more interesting the police {3 star} seemed a heck of a lot more lethal, atleast in that car chase at the end. their bullets did more damage and they made atleast 3 attempts to ram me off the road with a PIT maneuver and a car box in.

Gve it a try, i can't be bothered playing through the level again.

denizsi

Arcane
Incredible. A few years ago, I was ready to buy this game blindfolded whenever it came out. Then a good chunk of the old team got laid off, including some key developers I believe if the memory serves me. I was still optimistic. I thought I wouldn't remove it from the inventory before making up my mind. You have saved me precious time and bandwidth, comrade :salute:

1eyedking said:
MetalCraze said:
I'm willing to give Mafia 2 a chance, seeing how good Mafia 1 was.
:what:

Seriously,
:what: :what: :what: :what: :what: :what: :what:

stfu you piece of shit.

1eyedking

Erudite
FUCKKKK YEAAAAAAARRRRR 50 KMH CARSSSSS BITCHHHHHH

I mean, the Codex baffles me. Missions are GTA IV 'siriuz buzinez' Hollywood movie style, easy as shit (except for a race mission that comes out of fucking nowhere) yet somehow the game doesn't get bashed?

Mafia is shit. It's GTA with turtle-speed cars (I mean come fucking on), turtle-speed/episodic car hi-jacking, with a stupid storyline filled with uninteresting/cliched characters, and a plot twist that makes you puke in your mouth; all that minus the quirkiness, trojan language, and fucking awesome characters that made the GTA series so cool. Mafia, in fact, was one of the first "next-gen" movie-like games to be ever made. And somehow that's not bad.

For fuck's sake people do you even know what you're playing, at least some of the time? I'm becoming truly estranged to these forums, so many shit games getting praised lately that I sometimes wonder if clicked the wrong bookmark...

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
1eyedking said:
except for a race mission that comes out of fucking nowhere

Everyone keeps mentioning the race mission and yet I completed it on first try. I must be even more awesome than I thought. :smug:

Twinkle

Liturgist
I guess in his quest for traces of intelligence in tWitcher he lost his own mind.

Whatever, I'm very angry about lack of AA. Shitty blur doesn't cut it and hurts my immersun. Gameplay is popamole indeed. :( However, I like the fact that shotgun wasn't usual POS at anything put super-close range.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah the first time I tried the shotgun it brought a grin to my face. Other weapons in the demo are pretty standard fare but the boomstick is just perfect.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Twinkle said:
I guess in his quest for traces of intelligence in tWitcher he lost his own mind.

Whatever, I'm very angry about lack of AA

Game uses a deferred renderer in a dx9 codepath so standard AA modes are incompatible. Same for SC2...Another reason for WinXP to die in a fire.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes because in WinXP you had to use superspecial secret code to make AA modes work through the ass :roll:

It has nothing to do with bad console ports where only 2x AA is allowed and unoptimized engine of Blizzard noooo

SoupNazi

Turisas said:
Everyone keeps mentioning the race mission and yet I completed it on first try. I must be even more awesome than I thought. :smug:

Second try for me, but yeah it's not as hard as people make it out to be.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
1eyedking said:
FUCKKKK YEAAAAAAARRRRR 50 KMH CARSSSSS BITCHHHHHH

I mean, the Codex baffles me. Missions are GTA IV 'siriuz buzinez' Hollywood movie style, easy as shit (except for a race mission that comes out of fucking nowhere) yet somehow the game doesn't get bashed?

Mafia is shit. It's GTA with turtle-speed cars (I mean come fucking on), turtle-speed/episodic car hi-jacking, with a stupid storyline filled with uninteresting/cliched characters, and a plot twist that makes you puke in your mouth; all that minus the quirkiness, trojan language, and fucking awesome characters that made the GTA series so cool. Mafia, in fact, was one of the first "next-gen" movie-like games to be ever made. And somehow that's not bad.

For fuck's sake people do you even know what you're playing, at least some of the time? I'm becoming truly estranged to these forums, so many shit games getting praised lately that I sometimes wonder if clicked the wrong bookmark...

HAHAHA

oh wow.

SoupNazi said:
Turisas said:

Second try for me, but yeah it's not as hard as people make it out to be.

I sucked at games first time I played it (my first ever PC was bought in 2003 and Mafia is one of my first PC games) so it took me quite a while to finish it. And I thought that level was awesome precisely because it was hard.
Nothing really hard in it on subsequent playthroughs though, all you need is to remember to slow down properly before turns instead of rushing like idiot. I guess it was being bashed by people who sucked at proper racing games and only driving they did was in Need For Speed or GTA games.

visions

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Actually the whole point of the mission is to kill him. If they put him in the level running away from me - why can't I kill him any time I want - like when I see him running away? Even GTA4 gave much more freedom with this.

The first Mafia had a similar situation where you could kill one guy only the way the developers intended. Near the beginning, where you had to collect money from some motel, the guy with the yellow car who got away with the money after the shootout, you couldn't just kill him by shooting at his bald head since he was invulnerable in his open car, so you had to chase him with your car. Was pretty counter-intuitive imo.

SoupNazi

Yeah, it's the price we pay for the game being so cinematic - well at least in the case of the first installment. This happens later in the game as well, when you chase some guy across the country as he heads in his car towards the airport. You're put in a slower car, but even if you manage to somehow get to speed past the guy, you're slowed down automatically.

There's only a single point during the chase (I think) where you're allowed to get next to him and actually ram him off the road. If you don't, you have to keep chasing up until the airport. Again, you're unable to shoot him when he gets out of the car, and you need to do this stupid terrorist-style takeover of the airport and then shoot the plane's rotors off to prevent take-off. Most retarded mission of the game.

It's all because Illusio--- SORRY I MEAN 2KGAMES LAL SINCE THEY SOLD OUT - prepared these cimenatics that they want to show off and everything because back then, there really wasn't a way to make kills etc. look "epic" unless it was scripted.

However, with GTA4 and the introduction of Euphoria, every kill can be epic when enemies completely at random fall over edges, rails, or down stairs simply because of the great physics and not a script, you'd think Mafia 2 could do it to... but no. They force you to play the way they want you to because they're actually still using scripted death animations instead of realistic ragdoll physics.

I actually killed the airport guy as he was travelling through the main city by blowing up his car; wouldn't let me finish the mission that way.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

completely off topic, and not directed at anyhting you said, but I would change the name, before people start calling you Raging Autist! :smug:

denizsi

Arcane
In that mission, I specifically blew the tires of the yellow car beforehand so I could cut their front, get off the car and kill them. They just kept sitting, no scratches.

visions

Arcane
GlobalExplorer said:
completely off topic, and not directed at anyhting you said, but I would change the name, before people start calling you Raging Autist! :smug:

It's a band tribute and yes, I know, it's also misspelled. Can't be arsed to change it. Frankly, there doesn't even appear to be a way of changing it in "edit profile".

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Yes because in WinXP you had to use superspecial secret code to make AA modes work through the ass :roll:

The dx9 API does not support AA and deferred rendering. If you want AA then it needs to be done at the driver level which is something out of a developers control.

This has been going on since Stalker.

It has nothing to do with bad console ports where only 2x AA is allowed and unoptimized engine of Blizzard noooo

360 is closer to dx10 than it is to 9, so the consoles are irrelevent in this discussion.

MetalCraze

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
The dx9 API does not support AA and deferred rendering. If you want AA then it needs to be done at the driver level which is something out of a developers control.

What's wrong about using it through drivers?
I must have dreamed of perfectly working AA back when DX9 didn't even exist on my R9000Pro.

360 is closer to dx10 than it is to 9, so the consoles are irrelevent in this discussion.

Actually 360 uses DX9.0c of the good old Aug 2004 spec. The only thing that differs its Radeon X1900 vcard from the PC Radeon X1900 is the unified shader architecture which has nothing to do with graphics APIs.

Twinkle

Liturgist

Limited compatibility and testing (e.g. new driver can break aa support), possible artifacts, stronger performance hit because driver tries to apply AA to the surfaces that don't need it, often sub-optimal results (not all edges are smoothed). Again, native AA support guarantees that it will work at all supported cards with certain feature set and you don't have to want until vendor's driver team will implement the hack.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
fizzelopeguss said:

On a forward renderer? absolutely none at all.
Deferred rendering requires driver trickery, can have artefacts (ever notice in some scenes in certain games AA can just sort of dissapear?)
And can sometimes come with a huge performance penalty.

I must have dreamed of perfectly working AA back when DX9 didn't even exist on my R9000Pro.

Must be a language barrier but i can't tell a word what you're saying here, what's the R300 got to do with anything? I'm not saying dx9 can't do AA, i'm saying DX9 does not natively support MSAA with deferred rendering.

Actually 360 uses DX9.0c of the good old Aug 2004 spec. The only thing that differs its Radeon X1900 vcard from the PC Radeon X1900 is the unified shader architecture which has nothing to do with graphics APIs.

Xenos was a part wedged between R500 and R600, lessons learned from xenos development was added to R600 and dx10 as it was being finalized.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom