Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia 2 Demo Is Out

MetalCraze

Arcane
Downloading

There is also a limit of 10 minutes to explore the city but it can be... removed.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
I'm willing to give Mafia 2 a chance, seeing how good Mafia 1 was. But the combat does worry me.

Just joking around. Mafia was popamole before popamole, so it passes. Atmosphere and storywise it was first rate. Graphically it still looks pretty good, even if textures are blurry now.

MetalCraze

Arcane
There is a health regen? Seriously? WTF?

One of the pros of Mafia1 was that you had to complete each mission very carefully as HP was limited and you had about 1 medkit per level.

Vibalist

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
There is a health regen? Seriously? WTF?

One of the pros of Mafia1 was that you had to complete each mission very carefully as HP was limited and you had about 1 medkit per level.

Yes. This combined with the checkpoint save system made for a very hardcore game which was not at all frustrating at any point.

Not in the usual game, but in Mafia 1 after you've completed it there was a Freeride Extreme mode where you had a load of wacky and bloody difficult side missions to do in order to get strange cars.

In short this game seems to be better than GTA4 and the shotgun has a nice kick, but that's hardly a glowing recommendation.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Unfortunately my last year tech computer lacks the capabilities to power this next-gen game for five year old consoles, so I will have to pass.

racofer said:
Unfortunately my last year tech computer lacks the capabilities to power this next-gen game for five year old consoles, so I will have to pass.

How so? I just finished the demo mission at stable 60 FPS, everything maxed, physx off, with my e8400 C2D 3GHZ and GTS250. As I recall you have the same video card.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wow looks like they went full retardo with this one.

I decided to check how casual is this game. Started killing civs. When cops arrived (cops seem to be marked on the minimap at all times) they started to shoot at me. The problem is your health starts to regen very fast only 2 seconds after you got shot - even when you are running. What's worse is that when you are running cops can't hit you at all. So you just run and regenerate while they shoot at you. Regeneration is VERY fast. CODMW is trv3 hardcore compared to it.
Then I jumped behind the fence - cops stopped before it and started shooting at me (all 3 of them). No bullet could go through the wooden fence (as it appeared later all wooden surfaces are bullet-proof). So while morons were shooting I was just regenerating in safety 2 meters in front of them. Some tried to run around my position but couldn't do that due to poor pathfinding. Eventually they broke the fence and I started running away. And what do you think? That they would chase me? Nooooo cops ran away somewhere. In other words - doing crimes is ultra-piss-easy. I took shitton of bullets to my body and yet cops couldn't do a thing to me. They also suck at car chasing very very hard.

Cars have GPS in '50s

Then I started playing a mission. The awful cover system here with awful design. First the game threw at you two enemies - which you easily dispatch as cover makes you immortal while you can still see them over it. What's more stupid is that enemies behind their friends didn't do a shit - they were just standing there waiting till I'll run further.

Another thing that annoys me is a camera. It stays to the right of your character making him cover a good chunk of the screen in doors and it doesn't help - however the main problem here is that targetting reticle stays in the center - meaning the bullets appear and hit right there. Which leads to exploits like
eufy2r.jpg

Yes. You can shoot enemies through boxes and even concrete walls provided they are to the right of you.

I'm very disappoint in how piss-easy everything in this demo is.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Multidirectional said:
racofer said:

How so? I just finished the demo mission at stable 60 FPS, everything maxed, physx off, with my e8400 C2D 3GHZ and GTS250. As I recall you have the same video card.

Really? Now I didn't expect after the system requirements they revealed a couple of month ago. Perhaps I will give the full demo a try.

racofer

Thread Incliner
What the fuck, skyway?!

Have you even considered that the game is just so good it properly allows you to shoot through those wooden boxes?!

It's you who got it all wrong all over again!

MetalCraze

Arcane
The funny thing is that when you point a crosshair at boxes and fire they do stop bullets.

On the above floor I was sitting behind another wooden box while two guys with tommy guns were firing and firing at me and couldn't do anything to me before I killed them half of a minute later (wanted to check if wood stops bullets again)

Also it's possible to do headshots on the move with a shotgun from 20m.

I mean the voice acting is great in the demo. The '50s gangster atmosphere is great in the demo. But it's soooo damn easy. I felt myself like an unstoppable superman.

Also graphics are 5 years old. Fucking consoles.

From one side I want to play a '50s mafia game, but from the other - demo pretty much indicates how it goes when it comes to a gameplay and it's disappointing.

I really liked how you had to be very very careful in Mafia1. Trying not to get shot, proceeding carefully. It's so different here.

MetalCraze said:
I mean the voice acting is great in the demo. The '50s gangster atmosphere is great in the demo.
We can only hope that it'll carry at least one playthrough's worth of the game and maybe mods will fix the difficulty (isn't it set on easy for the demo?), otherwise it won't be a worthy succesor to Mafia 1 and that'll be a shame since they seem to have nailed the feel of the original whilst it being different in its own right.

What I dislike is how you are forced to use cover system instead of crouching. I could avoid using it altogether in GTA 4 and used simple crouch instead. Mafia 2 doesn't have a normal crouch, just the "sneak mode" which will not hide you behind the cover in any way, you'll be forced to use sticky cover to avoid being shot at. I understand why they put cover systems in multiplatform games, I did play GTA 4 episodes on Xbox and was raped when not using cover system with controller. Yet it is completely unnecessary for PC controls.
I truly hope Mafia 2 The Full Game will have some "hardcore" mode, otherwise it will be only atmosphere and no challenge. Not how I want to play Mafia sequel at all.
Also, I understand why they felt they had to make driving simpler in Mafia 2 after all the complaints, but if you're going to make two driving modes, at least make them differ a lot more. "Simulation" mode is just a little bit more challenging than "Normal" mode. I liked in first Mafia that you actually needed to practice to become a good driver.

Joghurt

Augur
Hey Skyway, I remember they said in an interview that reloading a weapon will throw the clip out and you will loose the remaining bullets in that clip. Did they dumb down that shit too ? Because my friend who tried the demo said they abandoned that idea as well but I kinda don't believe him because he lies a lot. I know that it's not a gamebreaking feature, but still it kinda sucks if they even dumbed down that as well.

Satori said:
Oh? They've removed manual transmission?

Yes, it is no more. Mafia 2 is way more arcadey than Mafia 1, have no doubt about that. My only hope is that the full game will at least be an enjoyable popamole with some good driving/chase sections and without too much filler combat, which is way less fun in this one because they removed proper recoil as well. No your crosshair just widens when shooting, which doesn't feel right to me at all.
Also, water is off limits, at least in demo, you can't swim or enter it at all. I only managed to push a fisherman negro into it.

Quilty

Magister
The atmosphere's great, but skyway is right, this is too damn easy. Now, I disliked Mafia 1 because it was too stingy on checkpoints and had a wonky fighting mechanic, or so it felt to me, but this is pure popamole. And those graphics, man, they're just slightly better than the jagged graphics from SC2's cutscenes. Also, there's collectible shit and fucking clothing stores and restaurants. I guess I'll torrent it for an hour or two of driving around in cool cars and listening to an excellent soundtrack.

EDIT: Oh, and I couldn't figure out how to shoot from inside a car. Or have they dropped that too?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom