Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oi?
No way bro, I'm not reliable for that kind of stuff...besides, this is an official RPG Codex event, so only the Staff can do this! :P
Actually, I don't think that any of the Codex game tournaments have been run by a staff-member, ever.
So you see, you just go ahead and organize ;)
Actually I'm a secret, special codex staff member, like the green Power Ranger, DU's alt or something...

Anyway, I could, PERHAPS, CO-organize this, but I need someone's help, preferiably someone used to playing online or to how this cockatrice fucking works... Ulminati would be a great organizer, seeing he already knows even how to set up the Cube. :D

Oh, and I don't get the netdecking hate.
It's banal shit boring MtG popamole playstyle. :obviously:

Why have a game with bazzilions of cards if all you gonna do is copy someone's deck? Use combos you figured yourself, mix very different card, surprise your opponents... netdecking is like downloading RPG's save game or maxed out characters man, you just shoudn't do that...

Why have a game with bazzilions of cards if all you gonna do is copy someone's deck? Use combos you figured yourself, mix very different card, surprise your opponents... netdecking is like downloading RPG's save game or maxed out characters man, you just shoudn't do that...
More like LARPing vs powergaming if you ask me :smug:
For cubing we could use http://tappedout.net/.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't get the netdecking hate.

Not to be a douche, but the netdecking hate is mostly formulated by people who don't understand the concept of formats or have too little experience with magic to know what "not netdecking" in the formats that require it will create :M

felipepepe said:
Why have a game with bazzilions of cards if all you gonna do is copy someone's deck?

There are formats for one and formats for the other. Limited is specifically anti-netdeck, EDH is to some degree. But try to talk me into playing Vintage, Legacy and Type 2 without netdecking and I'll laugh straight in your face. Namely because the results won't be the fun, brewer's heaven playing field that you think it's going to be.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Anyway, I could, PERHAPS, CO-organize this, but I need someone's help, preferiably someone used to playing online or to how this cockatrice fucking works...

If you make the tournament-plans, set the dates, organize the results, do all this practical stuff, I'll gladly stand on the side-lines answering all your questions. Hell, I'll do you one better: I'll give you a complete suggestion on tournament rules and an administration plan.

But you will bthe one running the tourney.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Anyway, I could, PERHAPS, CO-organize this, but I need someone's help, preferiably someone used to playing online or to how this cockatrice fucking works... Ulminati would be a great organizer, seeing he already knows even how to set up the Cube. :D

Nah, I read the post Grunker made about cubing, then googled. The concept is similar to what we did in Warlords once the clubs collection of cards got sufficiently large. I don't mind helping out but I've no idea how much use I'd be besides doing pretty graphs and stickying threads. I never played MTG :P

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Anyway, I could, PERHAPS, CO-organize this, but I need someone's help, preferiably someone used to playing online or to how this cockatrice fucking works...

If you make the tournament-plans, set the dates, organize the results, do all this practical stuff, I'll gladly stand on the side-lines answering all your questions.
Question is, how big of a tournament are we talking here? We should have at least a idea of the size of this to see how much work it will amount too, and what tournament form to use...

IMHO a ladder tournament would be too quick and not as fun, so we should go for a 2-1-0 (2 points for winner, 1 if draw, 0 for the loser), or a 2-1 (2 winner, 1 loser) if we are going to do "best of three". Problem is that can drag on quite a lot and multiple days will be required, making hard for people to find time to play with their adversaries. We should probably do weekly tier battles and leave the players to decide amoung thenselves when to duel.

Discuss!

Hell, I'll do you one better: I'll give you a complete suggestion on tournament rules and an administration plan.
Yeah, I've played my fair share of DCI tournaments ages ago, but you clearly have a way bigger knowledge of rules and formats, your help is very welcome. So, let's do this? ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Felipepe: The "normal" way of doing casual tournaments is each game is best of three, 3 points for 2-0, 2½ point for 2-1, 1 point for draw, ½ point for 1-2 and 0 points for 0-2.

As I said, I'll happily help you set stuff up, I just don't have the time nor the inclination to make sure the tournament keeps running smoothly. But send me a PM, let's do stuff.

After the 17th i could help too, wtf is so hard about this? It's mostly sending PMs and banning people who doesn't show up right? I don't know these names though, cube, peasant and pauper etc... Might have heard them in Norwegian at some point tho. Someone link me the rules to whatever we decide on doing and I'm K.

Is there a way to play draft in cockatrice?

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
My proposal: let's list the people who want to play and agree on a format.

Ladder is pretty good imo, since we can just set a deadline and have people play with all listed players.

My vote goes for Peasant Magic. For those who don't know, it's a nifty constructed format which goes like this:
- Usual 60-card decks are used
- A deck can't have any rares and more than 5 uncommons
Since we're playing online, it'll actually encourage us to make some fun decks instead of making some OP shit worth 100's of $$$ in real life.

Cockatrice creates a hash for each deck, so basically we could just have everyone post his hash and that's all. No need for strict control, etc. I think no one is going to cheat, right?

If you agree, we can start by creating new thread for this little tourney.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My votes goes for peasant EDH/Commander. Standard Commandar rules as listed here: www.mtgcommander.net, but each deck cannot have more than 10 uncommons total, excluding the general which can be of any rarity.

EDH has much more room for fun brewing, there are few OPOP decks (like there is in normal peasant) and it gives more fun games, in my opinion.

herostratus: It's accessible for everyone with the link now, but not editable.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Btw, anyone knows LackeyCCG? I played MTG with it and it seems kinda better than Cockatrice.

My vote goes for Peasant Magic. For those who don't know, it's a nifty constructed format which goes like this:
- Usual 60-card decks are used
- A deck can't have any rares and more than 5 uncommons
Since we're playing online, it'll actually encourage us to make some fun decks instead of making some OP shit worth 100's of $$$ in real life.

While I like Pauper (all commons, but essentially a very similar format), these types of formats require a banlist a mile long or else some seriously broken shit starts happening. I'm pretty sure with just five uncommons and the rest common I could make a deck that can easily kill on turn 2, and is almost guaranteed to shove 20+ points of damage in the opponent's by the third turn with no bility to be interacted with by any nonblue/nonblack deck. There are a lot of busted-ass commons out there, and five uncommons is good enough for two Tendrils of Agony and three Demonic Tutors (if I even want to run those; 4 Demonic Consultation might already be enough).

I don't think any Highlander formats would be a good fit either, mostly because it's so unfamiliar to a lot of people. Not just the rules like the "command zone", "general tax", "general damage", and 40 starting life...but that deck construction is COMPLETELY different than normal Magical Children's Cards. Most people won't know how important mana acceleration is, or have encyclopedic knowledge of all the different "redundant" spells that allow one to get around the . Also it's very counter-intuitive in how some spells that are great in normal Tragic garner nothing but failure in Highlander. Plus, those types of formats are made for multiplayer.

My format pick would be one of the following:

1.) 60-cards with a gentleman's agreement. Don't bring a Spanish Inquisition deck you found on Stormboards, don't recreate the magic of "Combo Winter", no Stasis decks, and the like. Just use good judgment in what BROS will enjoy playing against.

2.) Legacy with a gentleman's agreement. Don't go to The Source and copy down a Deck-To-Beat. The above option is probably strictly better, but I don't know how much you trust people's judgment, and this option eliminates a lot of the egregiously stupid things. "Uh, you mean Necropotence is good? Whoops!"

3.) Choose Your Own Standard. This one is complicated, but really cool in practice. Each person makes a deck, but they are restricted to using cards from one core set and two blocks. The core sets allowed are 4th Edition onwards (Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, and Revised are too problematic) and all blocks from Ice Age onwards can be one of the two (early sets [Arabian Nights, Antiquities, The Dark, Legends, Fallen Empires] weren't designed with the block structure; sorry, no awesome Floral Spuzzem stacks). Lorwyn/Morningtide and Shadowmoor/Eventide can go either way in terms of counting it as one block or two separate blocks and fuck Coldsnap. The only banned cards are those that were ever banned in Standard, which is only a real problem for Urza's and Mirrodin blocks (Zendikar block is the only other one, with a mere two). It's a great format that plays like regular Magic and allows people to play with a lot of their favorite cards. The downside is, it can be kind of complicated to enforce, but this shit won't be DCI sanctioned so a few mistakes here and there are no big deal.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Shoudn't we go for some kind of draft instead? That way we get rid of the insane combos and pre-made decks... I vote either that or the choose your own Standard that Edward_R_Murrow said...

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I only play MtG very casually, but I'm up for the Cockatrice tournament, treate me gently :M

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Shoudn't we go for some kind of draft instead? That way we get rid of the insane combos and pre-made decks... I vote either that or the choose your own Standard that Edward_R_Murrow said...
This. I generally prefer drafting, but I can imagine it being way out of depth for any new players that might want to play. The choose your own standard thing strikes me as best simply because it allows for pretty much any simple card combination without opening too much truly egregious stuff. Then again, even in a single block a netdeck can do stupidly unfun shit (I loathed the goblin decks from onslaught, most of that block for that matter, too many X's floating around) so a gentleman's agreement might be best. There's tons of fun old shit that can be thrown halfhazardly together with varying degrees of efficacy. I'd rather see a deck that manages to make Draco look slightly broken somehow than one confined to a single block that is simply murderously efficient.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Edward: I've played the Commander-format multiple times with beginners. It's really not that complicated. And it solves the balance problems completely, whereas every one of your formats need gentleman-agreeements (something I find it extremely tedious and problematic to play with). Commander is simple, extremely fun and peasant magic needs no gentleman agreement.

By the way, Edward_R_Murrow, what peasant magic deck can kill consistently on Turn 2? Consistent turn 2 kills are rare even in Vintage- and Legacy decks. Maybe storm would be able to, but that would be a pretty vulnerable deck to make in peasant without tutoring. No Commander-deck would able to, that's for sure.

Damned Registrations said:
There's tons of fun old shit that can be thrown halfhazardly together with varying degrees of efficacy

This is the entire point with using Commander.

Pinging hoodoo to see this thread

I would looooove to draft, but I don't think it's feasable.

According to Ex, Virtual Table has a draft function but it always crashes :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom