Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Map creator software

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm trying to find again some map creator software that I saw some time ago but can't fucking remember what it was.

It was definitely not Campaign Cartographer or Dundjinni, but similar with lots of premade assets.

The thing I remember from when I visited their site was that they had an update that introduced png support as it was previously vector only. Or was it the other way around? Fuck.. dunno.

Anything?

Edit: NVM, I'm retarded. It was CC. :kingcomrade:

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Maptool with...how was that damn thing called...i think it was CSUAC or something like that. A giant torrent with many different objects for creating maps.
Or PyMapper?
Or this thing?
http://www.mapeditor.org/

I use Photoshop for my maps. You can get simple and good looking maps with pretty low effort.

Edit: NvM, i'm retarded, too.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hmm, eventually I settled for Dungeon Painter which is really easy, but MapTool with that CSUAC collection sounds very interesting. Or maybe I can use those graphics with Dungeon Painter.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I usually use either photoshop (if I have an afternoon free) or maptool from rptools.net. For maptool, I acquired a bunch of high-resolution PDF scans of the dungeon tiles WOTC made. I cleaned them up, made sure they were all scaled appropriately and organized them into folders for floor/walls/doors/furniture/etc. With snap to grid active, this allows me to slap together a passable dungeon in half an hour or so. The most time-consuming part is setting up the line-of-sight walls. Although making the tiles in the first place was a full weekend of tedious routine. The best part of this approach is that once I've set things up to my liking, I just need to place the player tokens on the map and everything is ready to go.

If you have free time and a little photoshop savvy, you could do worse than checking out one of my favourite forums to lurk -- www.cartographersguild.com

They have tons if gorgeous high-resolution maps of god damn near anything, as well as several nice tutorials on techniques you can use for making your own.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I found a lot of graphics (can do myself what I don't find, I guess) and together with Photoshop it's working great. Seems like I'm too pretentious for the existing mapping programs.

Now, there this great hexgrid generator here: http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/
But do you know of anything similar that can do square grids? With coordinates and preferably in vector format? Too lazy to do that myself...

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
If you have free time and a little photoshop savvy, you could do worse than checking out one of my favourite forums to lurk -- www.cartographersguild.com

They have tons if gorgeous high-resolution maps of god damn near anything, as well as several nice tutorials on techniques you can use for making your own.

You deserve thousand brofists for this link.:)

ds

Cipher
Patron
Came across this collection of map graphics for different styles that might be useful to someone: https://kmalexander.com/free-stuff/fantasy-map-brushes/

featurednobadmaps.png

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You found the program you were looking for, but since no one has mentioned this yet, I will: You should try Inkarnate.
world-1-f55cf667.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom