Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Or am I going to have to listen to embarrassing ass dialogue for the rest of the game, where every character is some form of Spiderman/Deadpool snark, and every other dialogue line is a clumsy ass attempt to shoehorn in a reference to the comics.
I for one just powered through it all by hammering the skip button and picking the conveniently highlighted dark side options. Even then it really bogs the game down though, you'll have to put up with it between every mission for a long while.
That's what I feared.

Second question then, is it worth it in the end?

The trouble is the advice to skip through doesn't always work because you get decent passive bonuses from building "friendshp" by talking to the various heroes, so if you want those you do have to pay a bit of attention now and then.

It does get a little bit better as the story goes on, the backstory has a kind of eldritch vast-time-spanning, famous-things-interlinking aspect to it that's quite comic-bookey, if you ever liked that aspect of comics, but it only ever reaches up to the level of being mildly interesting sometimes, and the friendship dialogues are mostly unbearably twee and only very occasionally tug at the heartstrings.

Again, really the problem is the taint of the "feel" of the MCU on the thing, which is really a kind of albatross around the neck of the game. (As I said in my first impressions above, I wisht it had the superhero characters written as they were in the last heyday of comic books, up to about the mid 80s and early 90s, say.)

Also it's quite annoying that you can't really have the absolute "classic" costumes (I believe there's a mod for the classic spidey outfit, but that's about it). It's all kevlar style shit from the movies, and variations on that theme.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Or am I going to have to listen to embarrassing ass dialogue for the rest of the game, where every character is some form of Spiderman/Deadpool snark, and every other dialogue line is a clumsy ass attempt to shoehorn in a reference to the comics.
I for one just powered through it all by hammering the skip button and picking the conveniently highlighted dark side options. Even then it really bogs the game down though, you'll have to put up with it between every mission for a long while.
That's what I feared.

Second question then, is it worth it in the end?

The trouble is the advice to skip through doesn't always work because you get decent passive bonuses from building "friendshp" by talking to the various heroes, so if you want those you do have to pay a bit of attention now and then.

It does get a little bit better as the story goes on, the backstory has a kind of eldritch vast-time-spanning, famous-things-interlinking aspect to it that's quite comic-bookey, if you ever liked that aspect of comics, but it only ever reaches up to the level of being mildly interesting sometimes, and the friendship dialogues are mostly unbearably twee and only very occasionally tug at the heartstrings.

Again, really the problem is the taint of the "feel" of the MCU on the thing, which is really a kind of albatross around the neck of the game. (As I said in my first impressions above, I wisht it had the superhero characters written as they were in the last heyday of comic books, up to about the mid 80s and early 90s, say.)

Also it's quite annoying that you can't really have the absolute "classic" costumes (I believe there's a mod for the classic spidey outfit, but that's about it). It's all kevlar style shit from the movies, and variations on that theme.

It's so bad. I've read way to many comics - specifically for Marvel pretty much every good run from the silver age till Jonathan Hickman's Avengers run. Not one of these characters acts like they should.

I wouldn't even say it's MCUified - it's just bad all around. The MCU at leasts understands that some characters don't need to be quippy shitheads. Black Panther wasn't making jokes about using social media. BLADE is on the facebook analogue and arguing about movie nights.

If every character is Spider-Man, what's the point of having Spider-Man.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's so bad. I've read way to many comics - specifically for Marvel pretty much every good run from the silver age till Jonathan Hickman's Avengers run. Not one of these characters acts like they should.

I wouldn't even say it's MCUified - it's just bad all around. The MCU at leasts understands that some characters don't need to be quippy shitheads. Black Panther wasn't making jokes about using social media. BLADE is on the facebook analogue and arguing about movie nights.

Oh the story / social type stuff super sucks. Just click through that as much as possible. The game play is fun though and they should've leaned into that more, but why would they do that when it might actually produce something good?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Oh the story / social type stuff super sucks. Just click through that as much as possible. The game play is fun though and they should've leaned into that more, but why would they do that when it might actually produce something good?

I really don't think there's anything wrong with the general idea of having the story and exploration stuff, and technically it's well presented. And with some adjustment, the alternating rhythm between combat and story/exploration could have been refined and made smoother (to match the incredibly addictive analogous rhythm in the XCOM games). Even the basic idea beats of the story are ok.

The "ground plan" of the game is pretty solid.

It's just poor writing and characterization, that's all. As I say, it would have been great with more of a classic feel with the characters, with the feel of the characters those of us who loved comics grew up with and became collectors with, etc.

The thing that makes the story sections so confounding is they’re ripping off Persona. But for some reason instead of taking a thing that works and doing it themselves they tried to reinvent it somewhat and fucked up.

But yeah, it’s also incredibly badly written. I’m not exactly sure why, or how, but it seems someone at Marvel convenience a lot of top people that the direction Marvel stuff should be going is that absolute shit tier “comedy” the comics have been full of for like the last ten years. It’s been very weird to watch, because Marvel Comics is the least success branch of Marvel, and yet for the last several year Marvel has seemingly been using the terrible tone of current comics for video games and movies.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are mods that make character relations increase much faster and remove most of the part about collecting stuff in the garden. It really made this part more bearable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom