Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So Goku doesn't stand a chance?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Can't captain marvel bitch just annihilate everything? I heard she was boring OP in the movies.
A while back, Marvel decided they needed their own Wonder Woman (aka now-feminist icon), and picked Ms. Marvel, changed her to Captain Marvel, handed her off to a feminist writer, and then announced that she was the most powerful avenger before they introduced her in the MCU.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm still confused about that early captain marvel in the Shazam outfit. Fucking odd. The later dude seemed fine. Ms Marvel I only knew from x-men cartoon and rogue draining the shit out of her like a succubus.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Imagining all the ways Magneto could be a royal bitch in a tactics game but it won't happen because there is no way they are going to be creative or make it challenging

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm still confused about that early captain marvel in the Shazam outfit. Fucking odd. The later dude seemed fine. Ms Marvel I only knew from x-men cartoon and rogue draining the shit out of her like a succubus.

Captain Marvel went through a bunch of legal fights over IP back in the day. It was a bit convoluted, but IIRC, both DC and Marvel had Captain Marvels and were trying to retain ownership over the character name. DC's was eventually renamed to SHAZAM. (Not really into comic books, so someone may correct me.)

Anyway, it was an interesting read and probably worth the google search if you're curious.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Fawcett Comics created that Captain Marvel in 1939. They got into a lawsuit with DC over the fact that Captain Marvel was a ripoff of Superman. During the superhero crash of the 1950's, Fawcett stopped publishing Captain Marvel comics and let the trademark lapse. When superhero comics came back into fashion in 1962, Marvel Comics created Captain Mar-vell later renamed Captain Marvel in 1967. In 1972, DC licenses Captain Marvel and associated characters from Fawcett, but due to Fawcett not renewing the trademark they had to rename the comic to Shazam. It did not affect the name of the character inside the comics though.

The suit was because original Fawcett Captain Marvel was killing Superman at the time. They couldn't beat Captain Marvel in sales so DC took them to court and ended up winning, which ended up killing the comic.

Marvel's Captain Marvel was always Captain Marvel, he didn't get a name change, (although the characters actual alien name is Mar-Vell in the comics) he was created specifically so Marvel could get the lapsed Captajn Marvel trademark themselves so some other company (like DC) couldn't have a comic call Captain Marvel. This is also why every there's a bunch of different Captain Marvels, after they killed the original they'd just make some other character Captain Marvel because for trademark reason they needed to publish a Captain Marvel title every so often. This trademark business also ended up fucking with Alan Moore's Marvelman/Miracleman (which Marvel now owns) comic, and is the reason Alan Moore would never work with Marvel after a certain point outside of a couple charity comics. Carol Danvers Captain Marvel costume would seem to be a take on Marcelman, which Marvel ended up buying from the created as part of a deal with Neil Gaiman who was in a rights court case with Todd McFarlane...this is also why Marvel own's that Angela character from Spawn. Lots of legal fuckery around Captain Marvel.

Always found it funny DC couldn't call their Captain Marvel title Captain Marvel since the only reason they have Captain Marvel to begin with is because they drove a competitor out of business in court because they couldn't compete with them on the shelf. I do think when the SHAZAM movie went into development they did just end up remaking Captain Marvel Shazam when they rebooted everything for New 52. Although The Power of Shazam! was always a cooler comic title than Captain Marvel.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Can't captain marvel bitch just annihilate everything? I heard she was boring OP in the movies.

Yeah. She just single handedly breezes through a massive, hyper-advanced, galaxy conquering, capital ship like it's tissue paper. In the comics, I recall her exploding a planet with an energy beam like a super sayjin from DBZ. Very lame character.
She is just a weaker Superman, and gets fucked over by magic even more. Strange and Thor are way beyond her power.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
A mimic even to the "magic hurts her?" Oh good fucking copycat! That's sad as shit writing and character design. At least gag characters have better developement.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The suit was because original Fawcett Captain Marvel was killing Superman at the time. They couldn't beat Captain Marvel in sales so DC took them to court and ended up winning, which ended up killing the comic.

Marvel's Captain Marvel was always Captain Marvel, he didn't get a name change, (although the characters actual alien name is Mar-Vell in the comics) he was created specifically so Marvel could get the lapsed Captajn Marvel trademark themselves so some other company (like DC) couldn't have a comic call Captain Marvel. This is also why every there's a bunch of different Captain Marvels, after they killed the original they'd just make some other character Captain Marvel because for trademark reason they needed to publish a Captain Marvel title every so often. This trademark business also ended up fucking with Alan Moore's Marvelman/Miracleman (which Marvel now owns) comic, and is the reason Alan Moore would never work with Marvel after a certain point outside of a couple charity comics. Carol Danvers Captain Marvel costume would seem to be a take on Marcelman, which Marvel ended up buying from the created as part of a deal with Neil Gaiman who was in a rights court case with Todd McFarlane...this is also why Marvel own's that Angela character from Spawn. Lots of legal fuckery around Captain Marvel.

Always found it funny DC couldn't call their Captain Marvel title Captain Marvel since the only reason they have Captain Marvel to begin with is because they drove a competitor out of business in court because they couldn't compete with them on the shelf. I do think when the SHAZAM movie went into development they did just end up remaking Captain Marvel Shazam when they rebooted everything for New 52. Although The Power of Shazam! was always a cooler comic title than Captain Marvel.
WOW! Ripping supes pants from under him in sales. Go figure it was about the big bucks. $$$$

ArchAngel

Arcane
A mimic even to the "magic hurts her?" Oh good fucking copycat! That's sad as shit writing and character design. At least gag characters have better developement.
Magic hurts all non magic characters in both Marvel and DC. But it is noticed more when you do it to these physically super powered characters.

Maybe they’ll counter Carol Danvers’ power level by making her an alcoholic like in the early 00’s. Give her a bunch of high damage nukes, but she’s also drunk off her ass and a total liability towards all of her teammates. :lol:

You gotta keep her and Tony apart otherwise they're just both drunk off their asses all the time...Wolverine doesn't help this either.

She was pretty powerful and fun to play in Ultimate Alliance 2. She had full immunity to energy attacks and a good array of melee and beam moves. Well-rounded and strong, good defenses and flight. I didn't really read comics and didn't know anything about her, but fast forward years later and they turned her into some sort of woke, feminist, dyke icon.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I would prefer it plays just like X-com, which means it has the chance of being a decent game.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Wish this was an X-com style game where you can send tons of D-list supes into the meatgrinder.

Gotta give the +1 Social Credit for the China Friendly Ghost Rider though.

Not sure why went with Date Sim angle, cause everyone knows Marvel will not allow players to bang any of these heroes, so even Ass Effect fans will be disappointed.

Maybe gameplay will carry, but I doubt that a game made for Marvel fans will require more than their single collective brain cell to complete.

J1M

Arcane
I'm looking forward to the character customization. Exciting choices like deciding if THE HUNTER should be:
-woman or trans-woman
-black or brown
-bald or short hair with side shave
-gay or lesbian

J1M

Arcane
Date Sim angle
Relationship <> romantic relationship. Still not the best mechanic in mind for this type of game tho.
It is from the "I worked really hard writing all of this dialog and paying for it to be recorded, how do I force players to watch it" school of game design.

Those with confusion over the cast need to be more cynical.

Wolverine/Captain America/Iron Man: there's an easy 600K sales if we put them on the box

Captain Marvel: corporate mandate to put her in everything to spite the fans

Dr. Strange/Blade/Ghost Rider: cross promotion with upcoming films

Nico/Magik: falling below gender quotas, these characters needed a copyright refresh

Wikipedia tells me Nico can cast any spell, but only once. If they actually implemented that in game it would be hilarious.

deuxhero

Arcane
I have to wonder how they'll do create a character in a superhero game. I'm guessing the fixed origin and nickname will just have one power set with some customization.

Imagining all the ways Magneto could be a royal bitch in a tactics game but it won't happen because there is no way they are going to be creative or make it challenging

There's some good Marvel heroes with interesting abilities for tactics game. The "characters that are probably new to a lot of players" had me moderately hopeful they'll do some interesting ones then he mentioned very explicitly "twelve heroes".

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I have to wonder how they'll do create a character in a superhero game. I'm guessing the fixed origin and nickname will just have one power set with some customization.

There's some good Marvel heroes with interesting abilities for tactics game. The "characters that are probably new to a lot of players" had me moderately hopeful they'll do some interesting ones then he mentioned very explicitly "twelve heroes".

Marvel have never let anyone design their own character in any of the games they made. You have to pick one of theirs to use in the game. DC, on the other hand, didn't have a problem with it in DCU Online.

deuxhero

Arcane
It was pretty explicit in the interview (though Marvel's reluctance to create a character even extended to tabletop, with creation rules basicly being an afterthought). Every Superhero game I can think of with custom characters basically just used "pick a power set".

J1M

Arcane
It will be pretty bland. +10% movement vs. +10% damage bland. The hunter will do good damage and have some sort of special move against demons that requires getting close for a one hit KO. And some sort of vanish/stealth to reduce frustration with the melee ability.

deuxhero

Arcane
Date Sim angle
Relationship <> romantic relationship. Still not the best mechanic in mind for this type of game tho.

What Marvel Heroes even are there that could work as a player character love interest that aren't C listers or below? All the big names are in their late 30s/40s and/or have a designated love interest?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom