Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

Zeriel

Arcane
RIP my respect for Jake Solomon

Can't say I had any respect left for Firaxis in general so not too surprised

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Isn't it supposed to be Midnight "Sons" ??? Anyways RIP Nu Xcom I hardly knew ye. At least we got some tactical goodness thanks to it.

Let's wait for Xenonauts 2 and Troubleshooter 2.

Billi205

Novice
Marvel Midnight Sons shares ‘zero’ mechanics with XCOM and won’t include permadeath
renderTimingPixel.png

https://www.polygon.com/22641096/marvels-midnight-suns-is-the-next-game-from-the-xcom-team

TLDR

-RPG

-3rd person exploration

-No permadeath

-Very different from Xcom

Say goodbye to this franchise

Gah! Damn it! I was so hoping for XCOM 3 but instead this. And to think it has no resemblance of XCOM game mechanics :decline:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well this means that is it for Xcom for a long while. Phoenix Point is all you got left boys!

I'd rather die in front of Xenonauts 2! (or you know one can always replay Long Wars)
Why would you rather play Long War, a much worse game still based on % and crappy tactics vs pods and other shit base systems that Long War didn't fix.

Mazisky

Magister
The situation is tragic:

Xcom 2 is old at this point, wheter you like it or not.

Phoenix Point is unappealing

Xenonauts 2 seems like vaporware

There is really nothing else left concerning modern titles

It's the end

I hate Firaxis

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well this means that is it for Xcom for a long while. Phoenix Point is all you got left boys!

I'd rather die in front of Xenonauts 2! (or you know one can always replay Long Wars)
Why would you rather play Long War, a much worse game still based on % and crappy tactics vs pods and other shit base systems that Long War didn't fix.
I am still not sold on % being a worse modelization than the targeting reticle.
Shooting at moving things is random, and battles are chaotic.

OG XCOM and JA2 also did have accuracy % displayed.
But I just want cool tanks and APC in Xenonauts 2 and Phoenix Point. I don't care much about the way they choose to represent how bullet fly. :)

ArchAngel

Arcane

But I just want cool tanks and APC in Xenonauts 2 and Phoenix Point. I don't care much about the way they choose to represent how bullet fly. :)
Yes but UFO 1994 had bullets miss and hit someone else. Also once you got close enough % didn't matter much, you would hit. In nuXcom you can miss 99% attacks from point blank and hit nothing. You can shoot Machine guns into crowds of enemies and hit nothing and so on.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Yes but UFO 1994 had bullets miss and hit someone else. Also once you got close enough % didn't matter much, you would hit. In nuXcom you can miss 99% attacks from point blank and hit nothing. You can shoot Machine guns into crowds of enemies and hit nothing and so on.
At point blank range, there is a good chance the target will try to hamper your aiming (by hitting you or trying to seize your gun). Being able to miss is pretty reasonable if your target is not stunned or immobilized.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The situation is tragic:

Xcom 2 is old at this point, wheter you like it or not.

Phoenix Point is unappealing

Xenonauts 2 seems like vaporware

There is really nothing else left concerning modern titles

It's the end

I hate Firaxis
What about UFO2: Extraterrestrials ??

jackofshadows

Magister

At point blank range, there is a good chance the target will try to hamper your aiming (by hitting you or trying to seize your gun). Being able to miss is pretty reasonable if your target is not stunned or immobilized.
Not to mention that it all happens under turn-based conditionalities in the first place. I'm so tired to see these nuXCOM accuracy complains/memes. If anything, the blame should be addressed to its crazy overdeveloped pseudorandom outcome generator.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Except that is not what happens. Those that will not have 100% to hit do so because of enemy bonuses they get at any range.

cpmartins

Cipher
Out of the entire Gamescom conference this was the one that made me a little bit mad.
Not a lot, being we're in a downslide of diarrhea-induced gaming for the last 10 years, but I at least expected Firaxis to, well, be Firaxis and do the "3".
It's their greatest money-maker, even bigger than Civ, and pretty much everyone knows capeshit is dying.
Also, fuck captain lesbian specifically. Fucking trash tier reimagining. Failed miserably at every level and they're still trying to push this retardation on everyone.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Yep, here we go. That trailer was total cringe from the Metallica cover to the shameless emasculation agenda. And you know there's gonna be some lesbian or transgender shit in there to make up for the relative dearth of POC heroes in the cast. $20 says they still get called out on it by games media lol. Guess Chimera squad really was testing the waters to see how cucked the market was before launching this.

Man, I just wanted more xcom, not superhero "epic moves," that sounds like massive decline. But it all comes down to whether they nail the tactical combat. I'm not really disappointed at this stage, my expectations had already been set to shit, so now I'm just curious to see how bad it gets (but there will always be a part of me that wants to kill stuff with Wolverine).

Mazisky

Magister
There was still hope if they kept the geoscape for the "base management part" but they replaced that with 3rd person cringe dialogues exploration in your base. King bounty 2 all over again

Mazisky

Magister
Out of the entire Gamescom conference this was the one that made me a little bit mad.
Not a lot, being we're in a downslide of diarrhea-induced gaming for the last 10 years, but I at least expected Firaxis to, well, be Firaxis and do the "3".
It's their greatest money-maker, even bigger than Civ, and pretty much everyone knows capeshit is dying.
Also, fuck captain lesbian specifically. Fucking trash tier reimagining. Failed miserably at every level and they're still trying to push this retardation on everyone.

I agree with everything but it's false that Xcom makes more money than Civ, it's the opposite in fact.

Civ 6 sold like 10 million copies and Xcom 2 doesn't even come close. Also Civ 6 is the most played strategy game on Steam since years while Xcom 2 is like on 20th position or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something I've noticed is that Firaxis appear to be slightly downplaying the fact that the game is turn-based. They keep saying "tactical RPG" and within context it's obvious that the combat is turn-based, but they seem to be avoiding mentioning it in the first paragraph you could say.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
There was still hope if they kept the geoscape for the "base management part" but they replaced that with 3rd person cringe dialogues exploration in your base. King bounty 2 all over again
The curse of Bioware : Having the character double as psychologists for all of his teammates...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom