Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I really enjoyed the first one, it had "space exploring"

Wtf do you call space exploring?

The "spaceship" felt like a static level and didn't move at all. When you chose a destination only a "jump cutscene" appeared. But the "spaceship" still didn't move at all, just a new scene was loaded. But there was NOTHING whatsoever which made it feel like a moving, active spaceship.

For comparison: every cheap space simulation where you actively control and move your little dogfight module feels more like a spaceship than this static Mess of Effect Spaceshit.

polo

Magister
That's the reason i used quotes.
I don't remember much of ME1 now, but i remember travellin to different systems, and exploring them planets with the mako and stuff. Thats what i meant.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I once argued with someone how ME1 is a piece of shit, among other things he said Mako missions felt like a realistic space exploration. Because nothing screams like space exploration as driving around planets that look like random generated Terragen maps while shooting stuff and gathering collectibles.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I once argued with someone how ME1 is a piece of shit, among other things he said Mako missions felt like a realistic space exploration. Because nothing screams like space exploration as driving around planets that look like random generated Terragen maps while shooting stuff and gathering collectibles.

What game did planet exploration better?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Even if it is the only game that ever did planet exploration that doesnt mean its good.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Just hope this thing has entertaining popamole shooting on interesting enviroments. Hope that they going open maps doesn't mean the place will be just cutscenes + collectibles with some shitty token gameplay on the middle like the Witcher 3.

pippin

Saying "I think the first ME was good and better than 2 and 3" is like saying "I liked Metallica better in the 80s". A sentence without meaning and something you repeat to be accepted in certain circles. ME2 improved upon the first game quite a lot, even if some chracters are just a mess and the story does not make sense when put into the perspective of the whole trilogy. Removing the mako was a good thing, although scanning planets wasn't perfect.

The only point about me1 in the long run was choosing between Ashley or Kaidan. You truly lost something there. Killing Wrex only matters if you liked him, because his place is taken by other krogan.

lurker3000

Arcane

Even if it is the only game that ever did planet exploration that doesnt mean its good.

Starflight_cover.jpg

This game release 30 years ago did it better.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ME2 was fantastic. ME1 and 3 were crap though.
Fantastic? Really? I guess if you like visual novels. Even I don't have the chutzpah to say Bethesda's games are fantastic. But, hey, everyone has their vices. Just not everyone admits to them.

If we're talking about ME1 here you've got to be kidding me re: planet exploration. You drove around generic landscapes doing mostly MMO collect X dogtags/beacons/whatever quests. Starflight and Starflight 2 were already mentioned. How about...

Rescue_on_Fractalus_cover.jpg

It's really about the same level of planetary exploration ME1 had. The rover parts of ME1 were arguably the worst part.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Not liking bouncy wheels and running into plebes on foot is surely a sign of faggotry and decline, Mass Effect 1's planet exploration sure beats everything they tried after it.

Mass Effect 1's planet exploration sure beats everything they tried after it.
That much is true.
It was poorly executed (physics, terrain modeling, resource collecting), but the idea of exploring an alien world is a rover lent itself well into the "sci-" part of the fantasy and I remember there being a few atmospheric places here and there.
Naturally, instead of learning from their mistakes and doing it right, BW decided that NOT ENOUGH DORITOING, SKIP TO AKSHUN! And Dorito they did.

retardation

Learned

Hellbender?

Ebonsword

Arcane
Mass Effect 1's planet exploration sure beats everything they tried after it.
That much is true.
It was poorly executed (physics, terrain modeling, resource collecting), but the idea of exploring an alien world is a rover lent itself well into the "sci-" part of the fantasy and I remember there being a few atmospheric places here and there.
Naturally, instead of learning from their mistakes and doing it right, BW decided that NOT ENOUGH DORITOING, SKIP TO AKSHUN! And Dorito they did.

I agree, exploring with the Mako definitely had its moments. Like some of those ice worlds where you would land in the middle of a blizzard with snow whipping around you and nothing to hear but the howl of the wind. That really invoked the loneliness and emptiness of space--which is something they failed to do in the later two games.

It was also cool in ME1 that you could do things out of order. By which I mean you could find quest locations before you found the person handing out the quest. I particularly remember one time when I was exploring a star system and came across a derelict spaceship with no idea what it was or why it was there. After going through the airlock, I had no idea what to expect--least of all the horde of Husks that swarmed at me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom