Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Lemming42

Arcane
Trailer looks like dogshit. I was going to comment that the only good thing about the trailer was that they made the interesting choice of picking Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins to be the trailer music, which struck me as a unique and bold choice, but then I realized I'd just accidentally left Spotify open in another tab and the actual audio was just as shite as everything else in the trailer.

Why are Bioware so utterly devoid of anyone with intelligence? This takes place before the first Mass Effect, so they make the ship and it's facilities and the rover look more cutting edge than anything the Normandy had :retarded:
This takes place more than half thousand years after mass effect. :lol:
I thought the ship was built betweenMass Effect 2 and 3 (which is what he was remarking on)

No he was right I thought it took place before Mass Effect. I should apologise for my bombastic blowhard witlessness, but in this case I'll be happy to remain uninformed about this abortion and state without a shadow of a doubt that ignorance is bliss.:D:D:D

Of course I do want to come here to look at all the lulzy videos and memes this piece of shit will produce as it's far more entertaining than their awesome button games. I hope that they return to their awful depths of ME3 DA2 degenerate lazy writing and direction, Inquisition seemed to bland to even produce any funny shit, the best I saw of it was the Ride the Bull sex scene with the dwarf, Suuuuurras Mong face, saggy tits, horrible writing and bad archery animation and that fucking ghastly try hard letter supposedly written by the black sorceress, oh and there was those edgy character cards, the gay penciled on moustache, that disgusting emo thing and the shitty kick guy out of the window animation... Still I expected more from Bioware.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Just watched #2 trailer or whatever. Nope. Sci-fi Mass Effect 1 is still gone. Alien sex simulator peppered with defeating a super evil guy is still here. Fuck this shit.

Alien sex simulator peppered with defeating a super evil guy sounds like mass effect 1. Lesbian Alien sex even managed to anger Fox News if memory serves correctly.

The closest the series came to exploring scifi concepts with a deft hand was the Geth and EDI in ME2 (which were both promptly wrecked by the third game). The first game certainly had a cleaner, retroscifi aesthetic though.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Where is the rule 34 of those new catpeople aliens? Why new aliens look like sick fuck fapping material? In one of his books, Clifford Pickover mentioned SF stories about sentient space clouds, sentient pancake-like creatures due to their planet having enormous gravity, not to mention the alive planet of Solaris. But I guess it's kinda hard to fap to a sentient pool.

Oh wait.

I admit defeat.

ED-209

Educated
In one of his books, Clifford Pickover mentioned SF stories about sentient space clouds, sentient pancake-like creatures due to their planet having enormous gravity, not to mention the alive planet of Solaris.

The new aliens in Andromeda made me lose any hope I had for the game. It's not a 60s TV show with guys in rubber suits or heavy makeup; this game is made using computers than can render anything a person can imagine. The fact that the kett and the whatever-the-fuck-they're-called are humanoids with bilateral symmetry (like 99% of Mass Effect's aliens) absolutely screams UNCREATIVE and LAAAAAAAAZY.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
In one of his books, Clifford Pickover mentioned SF stories about sentient space clouds, sentient pancake-like creatures due to their planet having enormous gravity, not to mention the alive planet of Solaris.

The new aliens in Andromeda made me lose any hope I had for the game. It's not a 60s TV show with guys in rubber suits or heavy makeup; this game is made using computers than can render anything a person can imagine. The fact that the kett and the whatever-the-fuck-they're-called are humanoids with bilateral symmetry (like 99% of Mass Effect's aliens) absolutely screams UNCREATIVE and LAAAAAAAAZY.

I wouldn't say uncreative or lazy. It just caters to different tastes. For a person who likes the sci-fi genre, the first game had something right going on. It had some worldbuilding, diverse alien forms and established relationships among alien species. Humans weren't the center of the galaxy. Robots didn't have cameltoes. You visited places and saw how their various inhabitants fared, how they struggled with their problems, how chains of causality with roots in the past affected their present situation. You had an interesting enemy (Saren) who tries to fight indoctrination and stall Sovereign's plans (and might have even partially succeeeded). You had an incomprehensible larger threat (Sovereign) and had to find a way to stop them, and while it was clear fro the get go that fighting a Reaper fleet is about as useful as nipples on a breastplate, the later games abandoned that notion and had Shepard in the third game running around gathering forces to do the exact very thing that was established in the first game as futile, not to mention shoot Reapers in the face with nukes.

Mass Effect 2 abandoned the cliffhangers of the first game, which was Shepard finding a way to stop the Reapers. It was supposed to be a quest of exploration and putting knowledge to good use. But now, especially when the Reapers have revealed themselves, Shepard is somewhere in the fringes (hunting Geth), no one does anything about the Reaper threat, and then we die and become Cerberus' Fernando and we hunt...the Collectors?? Who are abandoning colonists? And where the fuck are those colonist exactly? I hardly remembering interacting with any one of them at all. Why are they colonizing? Why doesn't the council give a shit? How Cerberus, a bunch of fucktards from the first game became a superpower? Why have humans gained 100 levels in Council Power? I guess the game was too busy shoving Miranda's ass in front of the camera to answer all of this.

The third game was too much of a brainfart to even talk about. Cool gameplay tho. Bang Bang!

And here we are now. You are called the Pathfinder™. Because you need to have a unique moniker in case your ADD audience loses focus. What about being some random fuck who gets in messy situations for a change. Next: "I don't need an army. I've got a Krogan." Uh-huh. Some fanboys jizzed, I guess? Then we have a guy, probably an antagonist, called Kett Archon? Perhaps he was created by merging two Kett Dark Templars. Oh, and Thundercats-aliens. Yes, that definitely takes the cherry. I can see so many good directions for this new game.

But honestly, even if Andromeda is half-decent, I am too bored for cheap sci-fi games suitable for ages 0-99. These years I am more into games like Dark Souls where shitty ropleplaying is as straightforward as it can get, ie nonexistant.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
They tried to give us non-humanoid looking race once, Rakhni. Too bad they were shown only (90%of time) as enemy. They could give us non-humanoid race as our ally, but of course "Player would be confussed by something bad looking being bad" or other developers' shit.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
I wouldn't say uncreative or lazy. It just caters to different tastes. For a person who likes the sci-fi genre, the first game had something right going on. It had some worldbuilding, diverse alien forms and established relationships among alien species. Humans weren't the center of the galaxy. Robots didn't have cameltoes. You visited places and saw how their various inhabitants fared, how they struggled with their problems, how chains of causality with roots in the past affected their present situation. You had an interesting enemy (Saren) who tries to fight indoctrination and stall Sovereign's plans (and might have even partially succeeeded). You had an incomprehensible larger threat (Sovereign) and had to find a way to stop them, and while it was clear fro the get go that fighting a Reaper fleet is about as useful as nipples on a breastplate, the later games abandoned that notion and had Shepard in the third game running around gathering forces to do the exact very thing that was established in the first game as futile, not to mention shoot Reapers in the face with nukes.

Humans weren't at the centre of the galaxy, but they were definitely "special" in ME1. They were presented as being able to think outside the box with their brilliant new innovations like the Normandy, medigel and they invented Space Carriers which are apparently great in this universe (note: space carriers are actually a dumb idea). Humans entered the galactic stage 30 years ago or so, and in that time they have managed to nearly match the 3rd most powerful Citadel fleet, which belongs to a larger civilization that has been on the council for like a thousand+ years. When the pope was calling the First Crusade, the Salarians, Turians and Asari had established space fleets, interstellar colonies and mass effect technology. Humans have managed to become fast tracked for a seat on the council ahead of long established civilizations like the Elcor, Hanar, Volus and so on. They would have been even more advanced politically if not for Saren's past intervention, they got a Spectre candidate in Captain Anderson like a decade ago. The pace at which the backstory says humans advanced in territory, technology, military strength and politics is pure lunacy, to the point that their increased importance in the galaxy in the second and third games feels like a natural extension of the ridiculous preexisting lore.

You're correct that there's a lot of nonsense in ME2 about the council and how everyone went to ignoring the Reapers mode for no good reason. But it also had quite a lot of merit elsewhere. Fleshing out the Geth was the best thing it did, and the lore there was some of the best in the whole series. It also had a very strong cast of characters, the best of the three games by far. It's a shame that the overarching plotline is so weak. Then again, if you really put it under a microscope, Mass Effect 1's Reverse Indianna Jones plot also kind of falls apart, because Saren was determined to find the Conduit to get a back door onto the citadel since the opening scenes, but he only needed a back door onto the citadel because he had his spectre status revoked, which was only revoked because he'd gone hunting for the conduit. There's literally nothing stopping Saren from simply walking to the council chambers and opening the door for the Reapers in the first 3 hours of the game, or the last 10 years of history prior to ME1 for that matter.

And here we are now. You are called the Pathfinder™. Because you need to have a unique moniker in case your ADD audience loses focus. What about being some random fuck who gets in messy situations for a change.

You are called the Spectre™ in Mass Effect 1. Pathfinder's aren't unique, there's one per ark. Yeah, it's cliche to have this super elite organization that you're a part of, but that's been there since game 1.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Humans weren't at the centre of the galaxy, but they were definitely "special" in ME1.
They made them even more special in ME2, Harbringer says their gens are "unique" among other developed civilizations or something like that.

You are called the Spectre™ in Mass Effect 1. Pathfinder's aren't unique, there's one per ark. Yeah, it's cliche to have this super elite organization that you're a part of, but that's been there since game 1.
In ME1 you became one of many Spectres, the same with Grey Wardens in Dragon Age:Origins. But being "one per ark" means we are much more special and unique than ever (well, except Inqusitor in DA:I, we were one of a kind), as there are, how many, 4-5 arks?

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
There's literally nothing stopping Saren from simply walking to the council chambers and opening the door for the Reapers in the first 3 hours of the game, or the last 10 years of history prior to ME1 for that matter.

I don't know. If you're a special agent, can you just barge into the pentagon and launch nuclears? Simply walking sounds like a leap, even for a sci-fi opera where spaceships go pew-pew in the void.

As for the unique name, I am merely pointing out the repetition of idio(ma)tic trends. It's not like Bioware has broken new ground with Andromeda in this respect.

J1M

Arcane
The reason you have a 'special' moniker like that is so the voice actors can refer to your character. When synthesized robot voices eventually put voice actors out of a job it won't be needed.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The reason you have a 'special' moniker like that is so the voice actors can refer to your character. When synthesized robot voices eventually put voice actors out of a job it won't be needed.
You'd think that's why you have a predefined surname. But Bioware is making a game for extra special snowflakes so you got to have extra special moniker as well.

Rev

Arcane
I'd say that you weren't a chosen one in Dragon Age II, either. Game turned out shit regardless, but you were just Hawke the refugee, not a member of the most elite order ever created or a chosen one destined to shape the history of the entire world.
Before that, yeah, only NWN + expansions.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Took you long enough. I reached the same conclusion when I saw the very first promotional screenshots for the upcoming Mass Effect 1 back in 2005. Didn't expect the series to end up quite as stupid as it did in the end though, I was expecting somthing on the level of Star Trek not Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Btw didn't Liara in ME have eyebrows while other Asari didn't, beceause makers said that "She would look too alien for players"? That should show you how much they cared about races.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
I don't know. If you're a special agent, can you just barge into the pentagon and launch nuclears? Simply walking sounds like a leap, even for a sci-fi opera where spaceships go pew-pew in the void.

In this case they're surprise nuclear codes - the council doesn't know about it. Saren needs to access the computer in the council chambers, which are generally empty unless it's in session, and which spectres like Saren or Shepard have unlimited access to. In fact, Shepard even walks into them fully armed with 2 fully armed squad mates flanking him or her. If you can reach the presidium, there's nothing between you and the computer console that he uses at the end of the game to turn control of the station over to Sovereign.

Even if we assume that he would not be permitted to use the terminal without security busting him, it's extremely easy to conceive of how he could have got there without the conduit. He walks into the presidium flanked by a half dozen mercenaries, all implanted with reaper upgrades or whatever. Then the Geth Armada + Sovereign warp in, just like they do in the game, and attack the station (which is on 0 alert, unlike in game where they've been warned). Saren waits around for a minute or two until Sovereign has attached to the Citadel, then does his business. No need for an army, no need for the conduit.

You might argue that Saren and Sovereign do not know what the conduit is, they have no idea, they're just trying to figure out what the Protheans did so that they can undo it. But that contradicts what we actually see in game - Saren is 100% determined that the Conduit is the key to the return of the Reapers, and his plan wouldn't make any sense unless he knew it was a mass relay that would jump his army onto the Citadel directly, since that's what he's on Ilos with his army for. Before he gets there, the Reaper armada is in position to attack the Citadel, and as soon as he lands on Ilos he hits the ground running, knowing full well what he's heading towards.

They made them even more special in ME2, Harbringer says their gens are "unique" among other developed civilizations or something like that.

Yeah, that's one of my most hated things about ME2, along with the reveal that people were being abducted to make into reaper structural materials, as if that makes any sense. I was just pointing out that the silliness started in ME1, which praised humanity and placed it in a privileged position in the galaxy. The later games took the ball and ran with it.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
You might argue that Saren and Sovereign do not know what the conduit is, they have no idea, they're just trying to figure out what the Protheans did so that they can undo it. But that contradicts what we actually see in game - Saren is 100% determined that the Conduit is the key to the return of the Reapers, and his plan wouldn't make any sense unless he knew it was a mass relay that would jump his army onto the Citadel directly, since that's what he's on Ilos with his army for. Before he gets there, the Reaper armada is in position to attack the Citadel, and as soon as he lands on Ilos he hits the ground running, knowing full well what he's heading towards.
We can argue that Sovereign didn't care about Citadel's fleet beceause Reapers were arogant "beyond our comprehencion", despite their posing to be cold machines. He didn't come up with subtle plan beceause that was beneath him.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
We can argue that Sovereign didn't care about Citadel's fleet beceause Reapers were arogant "beyond our comprehencion", despite their posing to be cold machines. He didn't come up with subtle plan beceause that was beneath him.

It's not just a non-subtle plan, it's also a slow one that they've waited around at minimum decades to pull off. The most plausible theory for the Rachni war is that the queens were indoctrinated by the Reapers in the past, so you could say that they've been waiting around for thousands of years to pull it off. It's either a plothole, or the Reapers are being written to be colossally stupid. Bad writing either way.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Why would Reapers influence Rakhni? It didn't have any sense before harvest. Civilizations must've been untouched.

The Rachni queen in ME1 discusses "a tone from space that hushed one voice after another". It also refers to it as "a sour yellow note". In Mass Effect 3, the Queen says "But the machines came... They heard our song. The Shriek of their sour notes drowned us out", when discussing the Reapers controlling them. It's pretty clear that as of ME1 they definitely intended for the Rachni wars to have been initiated by the Reapers. The obvious assumption is that the Rachni were supposed to take control of the citadel, which would allow the harvest to begin. The Citadel species were already around for 500 years at that point.

In the Leviathan DLC, Dr Bryson speculates that the Leviathans may have been in control of the Rachni, however the "Rachni activity" filter proves to be useless for finding them, so his theory has no support behind it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom