Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Yosharian

Arcane
"i-i-if you just use a texture mod"
yeah whatever
will never do anything to fix the bad shadows/lighting or non-realistic rendering
snapshot.jpg
And here's a shot of this scene as it is in my game:
lol3.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
"muh composition"
"pls ignore the lighting coming from the ground"
Hey Rusty check out this BBC Bitesize page "What is reflection?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zbssgk7/articles/zqdxb82

It's meant for 5-11 year olds but I think you might still be able to learn some things from it
and this shows why that shot is meant to look dark rather than illuminated as it appears in the LE version:
lighting.jpg
look at your own screenshot you absolute mongoloid

Yosharian

Arcane
I'll spell it out for you: the direct sunlight is blocked, but there is still reflected sunlight coming in from the open doorway. Do you understand it now?

In any case I never claimed that the shot looked better, I was simply explaining why it is relatively dark.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'll spell it out for you: the direct sunlight is blocked, but there is still reflected sunlight coming in from the open doorway. Do you understand it now?

In any case I never claimed that the shot looked better, I was simply explaining why it is relatively dark.
that floor isn't metallic, it would barely be reflecting any sunlight at all, just like in your screenshot when not in the conversation

hint:
what's happening is that there's a light placed directly in front of the character during dialogue specifically to lighten up their faces/body. If you go to your ini file and set cinematic light passes to 0 it will disable it. Of course, then it will be too dark to see anything in most scenes because the lighting is shit.
552-18-1505205148.png

552-0-1505206192.png

Yosharian

Arcane
I don't care how the effect is achieved, the point is that it doesn't ruin the composition of the shot, unlike LE's lighting. LE uses a more sophisticated lighting technique, and in doing so ruins the composition of most of the shots/scenes in the game.

A scene doesn't have to use sophisticated technology to look good. It just has to be composed correctly with the tools at hand. This is obvious in the scene where Shepard and Ashley are in the shot together.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't care how the effect is achieved, the point is that it doesn't ruin the composition of the shot, unlike LE's lighting. LE uses a more sophisticated lighting technique, and in doing so ruins the composition of most of the shots/scenes in the game.

A scene doesn't have to use sophisticated technology to look good. It just has to be composed correctly with the tools at hand. This is obvious in the scene where Shepard and Ashley are in the shot together.
it looks like shit and you're blind

Yosharian

Arcane

:deathclaw:

Codex Year of the Donut

:deathclaw:
I'm sure you can think of some more nonsensical, baseless arguments if you try. Keep at it, it will come to you.

mkultra

Augur

I agree... it's not like lighting in movies is done by just using natural light.... and as any photographer knows a good looking photo with just natural light can take a while to get right, you have to really catch it in the right moment. Many times its better to rely on artificial light which isn't "correct" by any stretch of the imagination, but the shot will work for what you're trying to achieve for that scene/photo, you can just add the atmosphere you're after.

This game has scenes set up for artificial light. Now they're instead trying to light the exact same scenes with natural light, what happens is very obvious - some scenes can look great (by chance/luck), some will not because that scene is just not properly lit in the way that it can look its best.

What you need to do with natural light is to move the objects(characters here mostly) to completely new places where the light works for that particular scene. When a game is made with natural lighting from the start you create architecture etc so that the lighting works / look atmospheric for certain places where you want to set up e.g a quest or a cut scene. This is not done in this game because it's not how lighting was supposed to work, they didn't need to take architecture or reflecting surfaces into account.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
IMHO, most Important things I can say in defense of LE:

1. It is damn nice to have version of Mass Effect 2 that is not crashes like crazy on Win 10 (iirc it was crashing at release too in the same places) and where I am not getting stuck in level geometry every 10 minutes. No crashes in 40 hours. Honestly, I am impressed.

2. At last I could make femShepard in ME1 who does not look like a tired whore without ton of mods. That is good. Not so good with male Shepard - his default head looks even more "closet gay" than original and all custom faces end up as fucking potatoheads, and no amount of slider tuning in editor can fix this.

3. They had redrawn and updated all armors in ME 1. It is a ton of work and most of them look damn god by ME standards. Oh, and weapons from the same category can differ a bit in ME1, like assault rifles that have a varying innate accuracy, recoil and bullet spread now, depending on "model". Really nice change for the game where you shoot so much.

Last edited:

donkeymong

Scholar
I finished Mass Effect 2. Replaying it has convinced me, more than ever, that the Reapers don't really matter to this series. They are just a MacGuffin that force the characters to do shit. This is the 4th time I've played the game (and the first in nearly a decade) and what struck me most playing it this time is that there's next to zero central plot.
Lol, so you enjoyed multiple variations of daddy issue missions?? The only loyality mission i liked was Legions, at least something new to the universe was added.But something like the first encounter with the Rachni or Vigil beats the loyalty crap anytime.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I think modded MAss Effect 1 looks better than ME: LE. However, I think ME:2 and ME:3 LE look better than the originals. So if you are playing for the first time ever, I think it depends on what you want. Some people like mods and the origial Mass Effect has some cool mods, like Ray Traced lighting. However, I think ME 1 LE looks fine in action (even if it's very wonky in screen shots), and I also think LE is worth it, as I said before, for the HDR if you have a good monitor.

Add on the convenience factor, and I think it's fine to play LE your first time through. The only thing I really hate about the LE is using ME3 skins for everything, but hopefully that will be modded soon.

Also, regarding the above screenshots of crazy eyes, they were accurate on release, but there have been 2 patches now that have mentioned corrections made to character eyes. So I have no idea what they look like now as ME1 mostly seemed to have those issues.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom